ImageImageImage

Thoughts on an Ideal, semi-realistic roster setup for next season.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Re: Thoughts on an Ideal, semi-realistic roster setup for next season. 

Post#21 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 11, 2021 1:23 am

Didnt Dieng play well defensively (was this with or without towns? i don't remember) before being shipped? Would you guys give him another shot (assuming for vet min to 5 mil or so/yr)?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#22 » by theGreatRC » Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Didnt Dieng play well defensively (was this with or without towns? i don't remember) before being shipped? Would you guys give him another shot (assuming for vet min to 5 mil or so/yr)?

That ship has sailed. G is definitely underrated, just slow footed
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#23 » by old school 34 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 am

Calinks wrote:
jpatrick wrote:The name that’s come up a bunch is Myles Turner. Went to the Pacers Digest forum, much more active than their forum here. They expect him to be traded and not for a bunch either.

The problem. The toe injury that sidelined him generally requires surgery with a six month recovery time. Plus, there tends to be long lasting soreness, even after recovery. Blake Griffin apparently had similar surgery a couple years ago. I haven’t seen any reports that Turner has even undergone surgery yet.

Okay, most of the above is from an Indy Star article interviewing a surgeon that never examined Turner, so it’s possible the injury isn’t that bad. But a seven footer that was never that mobile to begin with having a chronic foot injury. Scary stuff.

Myles would be a big time target just don't know how we get him. If he has to have surgery or whatever I don't care, get him. I think Myles alone would really push us into playoff contention. We would be covered 3-5 on the defensive end.

Moneywise it would be complicated but I'd also even look into Stenen Adams. He has had a down season but I think he would be nice next to Towns. He's also only 27 so though he seems kind of washed up, he shouldn't be at all physically.

If we do get the pick that dramatically altes rour options.
There's a lot to like about a Turner fit under Finch....but the injuries really scare me with him...not just this toe/foot one currently but always seems to miss a fair # of games for misc stuff? Now if that helps the price come down significantly...maybe that still helps make it worth while?

Pacers overall though...seems to be a lot of blow that team up talk...so could be a few pieces there worth considering? I know we had interest in A. Holiday as a backup pg & if Rubio is moved for different piece....he makes some sense bringing back....more defense & ability to attack the rim...makes him in theory better pair with DLo when you want dual pg minutes?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
old school 34
Senior

Post#24 » by old school 34 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am

ClarkeW wrote:After giving it some thought, I think that the most realistic acquisition we could make to improve this team next year is Richaun Holmes. He’s a do-it-all big man who could play next to Towns and take on some of the dirty work for him. Can’t shoot threes, but would do well in a lineup with guys who can (Towns, D’Lo, Ant, McDaniels).

Would probably necessitate some sort of sign and trade situation with Sacramento to get him. I’m guessing he signs a 3-4 year deal in the $12M-$15M per year range, so to match salaries somewhat we’d probably need to send Beasley or Rubio. Maybe in a best case scenario it could be Culver & Hernangomez? I’m not really sure who would have the leverage in those trade negotiations.

Starting to veer into unrealistic territory here, but if you could get Holmes without giving up a major asset and keep the pick, our lineup could look something like this...

PG: D’Angelo Russell / Ricky Rubio
SG: Anthony Edwards / Malik Beasley
SF: Cade Cunningham / Josh Okogie
PF: Richaun Holmes / Jaden McDaniels
C: Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid

Okay, I know I’ve lost track of the point of the thread. But damn, I would be excited to see that lineup play games for us next year. We’re only two players away from making it happen. Everybody just cross your fingers and believe haha.
Yeah....you stretched it to almost best case scenario offseason.....But Holmes is definitely on my short list as one of those big 5th starter options. And I'm not certain if any of them are so much crazy better than the next that it's almost more...who becomes best value when considering cost in trade &/or future contract...say of guys like Mobley, Holmes, Turner, Collins??? There is a talent difference off that list....but getting the best value would help the roster balance other contracts?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,580

Post#25 » by Klomp » Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

I'm curious....do you think the lottery results going either way make it more or less likely that Rosas tries to make a big move this summer?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#26 » by ClarkeW » Tue May 11, 2021 2:11 pm

old school 34 wrote:
ClarkeW wrote:After giving it some thought, I think that the most realistic acquisition we could make to improve this team next year is Richaun Holmes. He’s a do-it-all big man who could play next to Towns and take on some of the dirty work for him. Can’t shoot threes, but would do well in a lineup with guys who can (Towns, D’Lo, Ant, McDaniels).

Would probably necessitate some sort of sign and trade situation with Sacramento to get him. I’m guessing he signs a 3-4 year deal in the $12M-$15M per year range, so to match salaries somewhat we’d probably need to send Beasley or Rubio. Maybe in a best case scenario it could be Culver & Hernangomez? I’m not really sure who would have the leverage in those trade negotiations.

Starting to veer into unrealistic territory here, but if you could get Holmes without giving up a major asset and keep the pick, our lineup could look something like this...

Okay, I know I’ve lost track of the point of the thread. But damn, I would be excited to see that lineup play games for us next year. We’re only two players away from making it happen. Everybody just cross your fingers and believe haha.
Yeah....you stretched it to almost best case scenario offseason.....But Holmes is definitely on my short list as one of those big 5th starter options. And I'm not certain if any of them are so much crazy better than the next that it's almost more...who becomes best value when considering cost in trade &/or future contract...say of guys like Mobley, Holmes, Turner, Collins??? There is a talent difference off that list....but getting the best value would help the roster balance other contracts?

To me, contract value is why Richaun Holmes is my favorite of the people you listed. You’re getting a sort of glue guy big man who’s just entering his prime on what I would consider a good contract (assuming it’s $12M - $15M). Of the others you listed...

John Collins - Bigger contract and theoretically costs more to acquire. Like the player, but also not sure if he brings the additional skills we really need from that spot.

Evan Mobley - Wouldn’t be upset, but I’m more a fan of drafting either Cunningham or Suggs if we keep the pick.

Myles Turner - My second favorite of the ones you listed. Just a bit afraid about injuries as was mentioned by some others. And while note bad, I wouldn’t consider the contract a bargain either.

Two other names that I’ve been thinking of that fall more in the bargain/bench role variety are Daniel Theis and Bobby Portis. Both are free agents this summer and could likely be had for the MLE. Both bring things that I think we need from a grit/toughness perspective and they each have their own other positives as well.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#27 » by jpatrick » Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm

I watched the Kings this week just to watch Holmes. Remember when the Kings were an up and coming team a couple years ago? Ouch.

Holmes strikes me as Vanderbilt, slightly bigger, with better finishing inside. A good player. No range on his jumper. Is that type of upgrade worth shipping off Beasley? Or tacking a first round pick onto Rubio so we can trade him into space? As others have said, we’re up against the lux line, so I don’t see us even using an exception unless we can offload some salary first.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#28 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Klomp wrote:I'm curious....do you think the lottery results going either way make it more or less likely that Rosas tries to make a big move this summer?

I would assume keeping the pick makes a big trade more likely. Either the pick is another asset or it makes somebody else more expendable.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#29 » by TaylorTag » Tue May 11, 2021 5:19 pm

Are we overthinking PF? Is Vanderbilt a fine fit next to KAT?

I wouldn’t be mad if we trotted out this lineup to start the season

PG: Russel
SG: Edwards
SF: McDaniels
PF: Vanderbilt
C: Towns

Vanderbilt can defend all five positions. He might not be a rim protector, but he’s a fine defender and his energy works well next to KAT..

If we aren’t getting a top-tier big, I’d say run it back with Vanderbilt
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,934

Post#30 » by wolves_89 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:07 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Are we overthinking PF? Is Vanderbilt a fine fit next to KAT?

Vanderbilt can defend all five positions. He might not be a rim protector, but he’s a fine defender and his energy works well next to KAT..

That's the starting lineup I've wanted to see for a couple of months. I think McDaniels is much better as a SF and Vanderbilt's rebounding/defense are desperately needed. I really wish that group would have gotten a 10-15 game tryout at the end of the season.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#31 » by karch34 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:I'm curious....do you think the lottery results going either way make it more or less likely that Rosas tries to make a big move this summer?

I would assume keeping the pick makes a big trade more likely. Either the pick is another asset or it makes somebody else more expendable.

I agree. I think keeping the pick gives you options to move the salary that I think the front office hoped could be combined into a bigger deal this year, but didn't work because of the production/perception (ie, pick, Rubio, and Jauncho has some ability to be moved...those two alone is not as likely and/or the return doesn't move the needle)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,132

Post#32 » by Calinks » Tue May 11, 2021 10:54 pm

I do want to sey I think Vando's value has gone way up in the last couple of months. To start the season I hear a lot of talk about how good he can be and front office hype, I didn't get it but now with the season wrapping up I see. He does have some good value, especially for the minimum range contract.

That said, for us to take a leap I think we need to upgrade two of our current guys to better veteran players. I'd like to see a legit big starting with KAT and I'd like to see a bench role that is going to a younger, inconsistent guy go to a reliable vet. We need a team deep enough to withstand a big injury and we need a team that can compete with multiple guys. I think Vando, McDaniels, and Reid have shown enough that they can be reliable smaller role guys (Jaden may be able to start consistently) but I still think we need an infusion of vet talent.

Ideally, for me that would mean two of Juancho, Okogie, Rubio, Culver, Layman, Nowell, Beasley, Vando, Jmac get replaced.

I think Jaden is a must keep, Naz is a hard keep but I would move him for the right piece.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,132

Post#33 » by Calinks » Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 pm

I don't think a starting 5 with Vando and Jaden is ideal for a playoff run next season but I would take it if we can't improve. I think they could make a run I just don't have a lot of confidence in them to do so.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#34 » by RiRuHoops » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 am

Russel can't guard PGs. I think Finch knows this hence Russell almost always plays next to a smaller PG under Finch
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#35 » by jpatrick » Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am

RiRuHoops wrote:Russel can't guard PGs. I think Finch knows this hence Russell almost always plays next to a smaller PG under Finch

I kinda agree. Thus, Mr. Suggs please come home.
old school 34
Senior

Post#36 » by old school 34 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 am

Absolutely...if we keep pick...trades will be more about getting under lux & roster balance.

old school 34
Senior

Post#37 » by old school 34 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 am

ClarkeW wrote:
old school 34 wrote:

To me, contract value is why Richaun Holmes is my favorite of the people you listed. You’re getting a sort of glue guy big man who’s just entering his prime on what I would consider a good contract (assuming it’s $12M - $15M). Of the others you listed...

John Collins - Bigger contract and theoretically costs more to acquire. Like the player, but also not sure if he brings the additional skills we really need from that spot.

Evan Mobley - Wouldn’t be upset, but I’m more a fan of drafting either Cunningham or Suggs if we keep the pick.

Myles Turner - My second favorite of the ones you listed. Just a bit afraid about injuries as was mentioned by some others. And while note bad, I wouldn’t consider the contract a bargain either.

Two other names that I’ve been thinking of that fall more in the bargain/bench role variety are Daniel Theis and Bobby Portis. Both are free agents this summer and could likely be had for the MLE. Both bring things that I think we need from a grit/toughness perspective and they each have their own other positives as well.
I see it very similar to you as well...

I am concerned that Holmes price point could get problematic....I think 12 to 15 is the right #...but he could be a guy that a bad team overpays. And for a 2nd rounder like him...he's probably taking the payday no matter where it is.

Mobley is clearly my 2nd option...again because of value of contract but the odds obviously not in our favor. And Cunningham would be my clear 1st pick...I think, as much as it provincially pains me, I do think he's 2 over Suggs...lol. But I got no problem for any of the 3...& if you take or get either of the G's ...it does set up your best case scenario better...because logically Rubio or other lesser rotation contracts would be moved for that big....Rubio to Chicago to me, just makes a lot of sense....so is that your sign & trade after we draft a G....Rubio for Theis & trade exception for the difference?

old school 34
Senior

Post#38 » by old school 34 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am

Calinks wrote:

I do want to sey I think Vando's value has gone way up in the last couple of months. To start the season I hear a lot of talk about how good he can be and front office hype, I didn't get it but now with the season wrapping up I see. He does have some good value, especially for the minimum range contract.

That said, for us to take a leap I think we need to upgrade two of our current guys to better veteran players. I'd like to see a legit big starting with KAT and I'd like to see a bench role that is going to a younger, inconsistent guy go to a reliable vet. We need a team deep enough to withstand a big injury and we need a team that can compete with multiple guys. I think Vando, McDaniels, and Reid have shown enough that they can be reliable smaller role guys (Jaden may be able to start consistently) but I still think we need an infusion of vet talent.

Ideally, for me that would mean two of Juancho, Okogie, Rubio, Culver, Layman, Nowell, Beasley, Vando, Jmac get replaced.

I think Jaden is a must keep, Naz is a hard keep but I would move him for the right piece.
That's the SL that I'd like to see as well...as currently built. And if the upgrades fail this offseason, I'd be more excited about this group than many others.

That said, give me at least one upgrade trade or that top 3 pick...will raise our ceiling significantly...just glad to be in a spot where if something significant doesn't come thru it will take much less kool-aid to find hope about next year...lol.

And while V8 does help our SL currently. He is equally important to being Naz' 2nd unit big as well. They compliment each other ideally. And getting a real 2nd unit with a strong identity will be huge...

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#39 » by Norseman79 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:49 pm

PG - Russell, Rubio
SG - Edwards, Beasley
SF - McDaniels, Hernangomez
PF - Towns, Reid
C. - ????, ????

Size, skill, and athleticism win....need at least 2 of the 3. We are currently too small and unathletic,also, spotty skilled.

I could see a trade and a signing happen. Even if they shift Towns to the 5, they still need a starting 4 and backup 5.

Be nice to find a couple of 7'+ 250lbs+ Hassan Whiteside types
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#40 » by Worm Guts » Fri May 14, 2021 4:57 pm

You only really need 3 rotation bigs. If you’re counting on Reid to be in the rotation, then we really only need one guy there. I’d actually prefer defensive minded big instead of Reid, but it’s pretty difficult to find a rotation guy that cheap.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves