ImageImageImage

Free Agency Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,742

Re: Free Agency Thread 

Post#861 » by shrink » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:55 pm

I was thinking today that MIN might go over the lux to improve a Ben Simmons offer. PHI has their own lux issues.

If they go over the lux, it’s possible they would use their MLE as well, or at least up to the $5.9 mil to avoid hardcapping themselves. That could make them the favorites to add Paul Millsap, and a team with both Paul and Ben could be interesting.

That said, crossing the lux is dangerous business. First, you’d have to get all three GM’s to sign off on paying all the extra money. Second, Millsap might be worth $4 mil on play .. would he be worth $7 with the additional lux taxes? Finally, this puts another year on your clock, making the repeater tax more likely down the road.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#862 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:59 pm

shrink wrote:I was thinking today that MIN might go over the lux to improve a Ben Simmons offer. PHI has their own lux issues.

If they go over the lux, it’s possible they would use their MLE as well, or at least up to the $5.9 mil to avoid hardcapping themselves. That could make them the favorites to add Paul Millsap, and a team with both Paul and Ben could be interesting.

That said, crossing the lux is dangerous business. First, you’d have to get all three GM’s to sign off on paying all the extra money. Second, Millsap might be worth $4 mil on play .. would he be worth $7 with the additional lux taxes? Finally, this puts another year on your clock, making the repeater tax more likely down the road.

I think they avoid the LUX this year so to avoid repeater taxes when they inevitably go into it next year and beyond.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,742

Post#863 » by shrink » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:03 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
shrink wrote:I was thinking today that MIN might go over the lux to improve a Ben Simmons offer. PHI has their own lux issues.

I think they avoid the LUX this year so to avoid repeater taxes when they inevitably go into it next year and beyond.

That is my thinking as well, which is why I spent so much time on the last paragraph.

I just wanted to lay out the option. If MIN takes on extra payroll with Simmons over the lux, they may alter their thinking on Millsap.

Incidentally, we probably have time on Millsap while we wait for Simmons to land. Part of the reason Millsap isn’t on a team, is so he can avoid training camp.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#864 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:36 pm

Shams reporting Millsap to the Nets. We should've signed him but oh well... Let's hope we didn't because Simmons is coming over.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,604

Post#865 » by jpatrick » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:48 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Shams reporting Millsap to the Nets. We should've signed him but oh well... Let's hope we didn't because Simmons is coming over.

I’m assuming he wanted to ring chase unless it was a massive overpay. That said, if we don’t get Simmons, our PF spot is going to be awful. Vando or McDaniels, who would be playing out of position, isn’t going to get it done.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#866 » by moonpie » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:20 pm

Yup Millsap was always a longshot, he wants a ring
moonpie
General Manager

Post#867 » by moonpie » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#868 » by minimus » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:19 pm

Anyone is interested in bringing back Dunn as 3rd string PG for vetmin, 2nd 3rd year non guaranteed? Let him heal, learn from Beverly, be ready for 2nd part of season.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#869 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:23 pm

minimus wrote:Anyone is interested in bringing back Dunn as 3rd string PG for vetmin, 2nd 3rd year non guaranteed? Let him heal, learn from Beverly, be ready for 2nd part of season.

I sure don't hate the idea. :D
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#870 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 8:52 pm

With the Nets adding two guarantee deals, my guy Alize Johnson is getting closer and closer to the open market. I think he's sneaking good with some real potential. He's dominated at every lower level (summer league, G League) and really flashed in limited minutes on the Nets last year. I would like him as a late signing to fill a hole at power forward. I'm not saying he's a rotation guy, but he's interesting.

Also, Finch had him as Johnson was in Raptors camp last year and played with the Raptors G League team.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#871 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 9:03 pm

Let's do this

The Nets plan to waive forward Alize Johnson, sources tell ESPN. The Nets are fond of Johnson, but are loaded at his position and will allow him to play elsewhere.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#872 » by MN7725 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 12:08 am

MN7725 wrote:Stanley Johnson

Huge disappointment, hopefully has given up thinking he's a #8 pick Future Star, but physically everything you want in a combo forward and he can defend

If he can starting hitting just wide open shots because teams don't defend him, becomes a Jae Crowder, PJ Tucker type player

Same shooting hope as Okogie/Culver but SJ at least has the size/strength to matchup with the bigger star forwards, Wolves don't have anyone besides McDaniels (at least has length) who can do that

July 21st prediction can still come true
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#873 » by minimus » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:19 am

Would love to get him for min

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,765

Post#874 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:12 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:With the Nets adding two guarantee deals, my guy Alize Johnson is getting closer and closer to the open market. I think he's sneaking good with some real potential. He's dominated at every lower level (summer league, G League) and really flashed in limited minutes on the Nets last year. I would like him as a late signing to fill a hole at power forward. I'm not saying he's a rotation guy, but he's interesting.

Also, Finch had him as Johnson was in Raptors camp last year and played with the Raptors G League team.

There have been some rumblings, credible or not, that the Nets might waive Okafor. He would intrigue me as added C/PF depth. He would make KAT look like the Defensive Player of the Year but he’s always had a nice offensive game, similar to Jabari Parker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#875 » by shangrila » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:24 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:With the Nets adding two guarantee deals, my guy Alize Johnson is getting closer and closer to the open market. I think he's sneaking good with some real potential. He's dominated at every lower level (summer league, G League) and really flashed in limited minutes on the Nets last year. I would like him as a late signing to fill a hole at power forward. I'm not saying he's a rotation guy, but he's interesting.

There have been some rumblings, credible or not, that the Nets might waive Okafor. He would intrigue me as added C/PF depth. He would make KAT look like the Defensive Player of the Year but he’s always had a nice offensive game, similar to Jabari Parker.

My main problem with him is that he doesn’t rebound. A guy his size should be far, far better at that than he is.

So I’d rather roll with Reid and go looking for a different kind of C for the 3rd slot. A springy McGee type or even a true small ball guy.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#876 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Sep 5, 2021 6:09 am

Yeah, I’d rather give Knight backup center minutes if the other option is Okafor.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
moonpie
General Manager

Post#877 » by moonpie » Sun Sep 5, 2021 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,765

Post#878 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Sep 5, 2021 8:28 pm

shangrila wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

My main problem with him is that he doesn’t rebound. A guy his size should be far, far better at that than he is.

So I’d rather roll with Reid and go looking for a different kind of C for the 3rd slot. A springy McGee type or even a true small ball guy.

I never realized just how terrible his rebounding stats are. For a guy that size, the only explanation I could come up with is lack of effort. I formally rescind my idea.

Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#879 » by MN7725 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:13 pm

MN7725 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:Stanley Johnson

Huge disappointment, hopefully has given up thinking he's a #8 pick Future Star, but physically everything you want in a combo forward and he can defend

If he can starting hitting just wide open shots because teams don't defend him, becomes a Jae Crowder, PJ Tucker type player

Same shooting hope as Okogie/Culver but SJ at least has the size/strength to matchup with the bigger star forwards, Wolves don't have anyone besides McDaniels (at least has length) who can do that

July 21st prediction can still come true

the dream (of a mediocre player) is dead, went to the Bulls
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#880 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:08 pm

Aside from Vanderbilt and Jordan McLaughlin, who would you guys want in free agency out of the players remaining? I'd love to see TLC, Garrison Mathews, or last year's Iowa Wolves standout Tyler Cook (all on vet mins of course).
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves