ImageImageImage

Official Patrick Beverley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Re: Official Patrick Beverley Thread 

Post#61 » by karch34 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:44 am

Happy to have him but was hoping more for a 2 for 20 type deal.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#62 » by minimus » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:02 am

karch34 wrote:Happy to have him but was hoping more for a 2 for 20 type deal.

I would only consider this tye of deal with 2nd year partially guaranteed. Ideally 20 mil / 2 yrs, 2nd year year only for 3 mil guaranteed.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#63 » by El Hespiritu » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:13 pm

El Motivao Beverly and Vandarra are my favorites into this roster by a mile.

I pretty much like all of them (special affection/acceptation for KAT Pueblos and teenagish fast-love for Ant The Rapper) but those two guys... I actually love them: watching them to play is kinda inspiring.

They not only give you all they have but consistently give you even more they actually have.

I will translate this fragment dedicated to Pat into a piece I wrote about this New Mad-Wolf TimberTrolls for some BBall web press.. I won't bother to spam the link because it's in Spanish language.

Some cross-words jokes and references are hardly translatable but I tried my best.

El Hespíritu, at December 1st 2021 wrote:… but the true key of this rabid wolves hasn't been The Rapper nor Dlo-KAT neither even Fincho.
El Motivao Beverly: The GOAT When It Comes To Dis

First sight, Patrick Berverly El Motivao is barely the topical limited guy displaying a verbal and corporal show trying to get under the opponent's skin because he has nor talent neither defensive proficiency to do it otherwise: some mix of energy-guy and shorty enforcer.

Nope.

If you take his fuss aside, his defense is perfectly legit.
You can tell when you watch him off the ball and playing zone.

He gets more highlights mad-dogging man to man but his true value is he can raise the defensive level of the whole team.
That's a rare quality that looks germinal in Vandarra as well but nonexistent in 90% of good NBA defenders (Okogie, f.i.).

I Got Dis, Coach! I Told You!

His surprisingly high IQ allows him to take only those shots he can nail on presentable %s. That's efficiency.
His capacity to run the team from a secondary rol under DLoad's shadow (kudos to Fincho and Russell, here) makes him a far better fit for the team than RRubio himself, to mention a recent example.

The humble catalystic ingredient needed by Tundra's potion to boil hard.

MIN loses regularly one or two guys by 6 fauls, leads a bunch of defensive team stats and, above all, this new style aggressive and reckless (at some point chaotic) ends up being mentally disruptive for opponents.

Eventually, they add their own mistakes to Wolves' hits.
-Ice!! ____ -I'm Comin'!
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#64 » by shrink » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:03 pm

shrink wrote:I know several people who thought his new contract would be lower, but it’s about what I expected, though I assumed there would be a partially guaranteed second year. He has certainly been worth this money to MIN, both on court (19th in RAPTOR) and off court (team accountability and commitment to defense). The fact that he loves Minnesota is a big deal as well for a team that struggles to bring in free agents. Now that the posturing over a Marcus Smart trade is over, it was an important deal to keep the team chemistry high.

KEMBAtheMETEOR made a good point about matching salary for a future trade too. At the deadline, the Wolves just let their expirings expire, and even if they bring back Prince at $6 and use the full MLE, their payroll next year is just shy of $139, when the lux threshold is $147.

Good deal, and I’m happy to have him around another year!
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#65 » by Note30 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:37 pm

Price is fine, just thought he'd get two years atleast.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#66 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:22 pm

shrink wrote:
shrink wrote:I know several people who thought this would be lower, but it’s about what I expected, though I assumed there would be a partially guaranteed second year. He has certainly been worth this money to MIN, both on court (19th in RAPTOR) and off court (team accountability and commitment to defense). The fact that he loves Minnesota is a big deal as well for a team that struggles to bring in free agents. Now that the posturing over a Marcus Smart trade is over, it was an important deal to keep the team chemistry high.

KEMBAtheMETEOR made a good point about matching salary for a future trade too. At the deadline, the Wolves just let their expirings expire, and even if they bring back Prince at $6 and use the full MLE, their payroll next year is just shy of $139, when the lux threshold is $147.

Good deal, and I’m happy to have him around another year!

More money was probably the counterbalance to not having that second year. For example, what if we were offering 2/20 with only $3 million guar. next year, it's possible Pat just wanted it all upfront.

The salary-matching was one of the first things I thought of, especially with so many fans down after the deadline about not using the expirings. This is the type of player/contract that sould be useful to all 29 teams. Contenders like the player, rebuilds like the expiring.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#67 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:13 pm

I hate it. I want him to stay a little longer
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
BlacJacMac
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,159

Post#68 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:I hate it. I want him to stay a little longer

He could still finish his career here.

Just because his contract gives us flexibility doesn't make him unwanted.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#69 » by Battletrigger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Since it's only one year of contract, has Beverly the option of decline any deal we could want to include him?

13m is really close to Smart contract.
BlacJacMac
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,159

Post#70 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Battletrigger wrote:Since it's only one year of contract, has Beverly the option of decline any deal we could want to include him?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think an extension is the same as a 1 year contract.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#71 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:09 pm

Wolves fans should take immediate showers to clean off the stench after actually including this guy in trades last week. He’s a treasure
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#72 » by Mattya » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:37 pm

We haven’t had a locker room guy like this who brings the grit to this team since KG.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Remember how scared people were to lose Rubio because he was Ant's vet mentor?

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter

D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#75 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:35 pm

50 grand lost this week for PB. I know he’s a millionaire but that hurts the old wallet.
shrink
RealGM

Post#76 » by shrink » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:38 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:Since it's only one year of contract, has Beverly the option of decline any deal we could want to include him?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think an extension is the same as a 1 year contract.

Good call! You’re right - the reason a player on a one-year deal gets a de facto no trade clause is because if he was traded, he would lose all of his Bird rights, since he would have only played with his new team less than a year. With an extension, a player maintains those Bird rights, which improves his chances of getting paid on his next contract.
shrink
RealGM

Post#77 » by shrink » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:45 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:50 grand lost this week for PB. I know he’s a millionaire but that hurts the old wallet.

Yeah, but I think overall, he’d say it was a good week!

I remember when he was playing, Charles Barkley (I think) considered getting fined regularly as a “cost of doing business.” He wanted other players to know he was a bad ass and willing to cross the line and hurt them a little, so they would give him more space underneath to operate. I don’t know how much PatBev paid in fines for his fouls and his antics, but I bet he likes the idea that the stars he defends probably see the Wolves on the schedule and think, “Damn. That means I have to put up with Beverley.”
shrink
RealGM

Post#78 » by shrink » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:41 pm

After he retires, what do you think of Beverley as an assistant coach?

Incredible idea? Or horrible? I don’t think there is any in-between on this
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#79 » by King Malta » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm

I think he'd be a brilliant assistant. He has a great understanding of the game and seems to be an excellent motivator and communicator.

Also, a lot of his antics are very deliberate and calculated with very specific goals imo. I don't think you'd see him behaving in quite the same fashion that he does as a player.
shrink
RealGM

Post#80 » by shrink » Fri May 27, 2022 2:28 pm

I don’t watch ESPN regularly, but I had it on this morning as I got ready to go, and got to see PatBev on a show called “Get Up!”

He was great, and I really liked that he is just going to say what he thinks. He was on with Stephen A Smith (who I can’t stand), Smith talked first and twice Beverley basically said, “Yeah, I agree.” I’m sure ESPN these days wants their people to argue, but Pat’s going to be Pat. Once Smith described Doncic’s defense as “putrid,” and Beverley stopped him to ask what the word means. I have great respect for people who do this even in everyday life because most are afraid they will look stupid, but asking makes you smarter. Pat did this on national TV - that’s self-confidence! Next, Smith said that with Zion back the Pels would be contenders in the West, and Pat snapped back, “Do you think they’re better than us?!?” I loved the “us,” and when Smith said Ant was coming, Bev interrupted “oh he’s already here!” After that, he got Smith a little unbalanced when he suggested the new media (like him) was going to supplant the old media. Smith went on about how important he was, and refused to end a segment, even though he was on the air elsewhere soon. Pat getting in people’s heads! And always with a big smile!

Oh yeah, and they started the segment asking him trivia, “what player has scored the most in the playoffs?” and the host said he didn’t think Pat would get it. Pat said LeBron has to be close, but I’ll go with the Logo, Jerry West.” He was right, West was first, LeBron was second. But the best part was seeing how happy Pat was to get those questions right! He tossed the ball he was dribbling to the floor and stalked around like he had just sunk an important three pointer.

I love this guy!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves