ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Nine) (READ FIRST POST)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Re: Trade Talk (Part Nine) (READ FIRST POST) 

Post#1121 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:31 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Simmons cannot play with V8. Simmons is an offensive liability with a history of chocking at the FT line. What is great about V8 is he can play the 3 and allow someone else to play the 4. A guy like Wood who can rebound well, create offense off the dribble, and knock down 3s is a good compliment for KAT and allows us to play very large. Simmons inability to jump shoot also clogs the lane which is very bad for Ant.

Simmons being one of the best facilitators in the game would be very good for Ant. That said if Vando can play like this we don't need Simmons so much.

We are in the wrong thread and have to end it here. We agree to disagree.

I've never once in my life agreed to disagree. You don't need to. Just disagree with no agreement.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,332

Post#1122 » by winforlose » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:35 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Simmons being one of the best facilitators in the game would be very good for Ant. That said if Vando can play like this we don't need Simmons so much.

We are in the wrong thread and have to end it here. We agree to disagree.

I've never once in my life agreed to disagree. You don't need to. Just disagree with no agreement.

Fair enough.
Bigpoppapomp82
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#1123 » by Bigpoppapomp82 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Blazers fan here noticing a lot of people bagging on KAT. Is there a package that hat doesn’t include Dame that Timberwolves fans would be good with? Funny enough just moved to Minnesota but haven’t followed the T-Wolves at all so not familiar with their roster and how the fans value players.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#1124 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:16 pm

Bigpoppapomp82 wrote:Blazers fan here noticing a lot of people bagging on KAT. Is there a package that hat doesn’t include Dame that Timberwolves fans would be good with? Funny enough just moved to Minnesota but haven’t followed the T-Wolves at all so not familiar with their roster and how the fans value players.

For the Wolves to trade KAT and considering how far Dame has fallen it would take Dame and multiple first round picks to pry KAT away from us.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,973

Post#1125 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:18 pm

Bigpoppapomp82 wrote:Blazers fan here noticing a lot of people bagging on KAT. Is there a package that hat doesn’t include Dame that Timberwolves fans would be good with? Funny enough just moved to Minnesota but haven’t followed the T-Wolves at all so not familiar with their roster and how the fans value players.

I don't believe there is any chance that KAT gets moved before the trade deadline and very little chance next off-season (I would bet that KAT signing an extension is much more likely than him getting moved). Even if KAT was available, I see no Blazers package (without Lillard) that would have any possibility of being the best offer.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1126 » by winforlose » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:53 pm

wolves_89 wrote:

I don't believe there is any chance that KAT gets moved before the trade deadline and very little chance next off-season (I would bet that KAT signing an extension is much more likely than him getting moved). Even if KAT was available, I see no Blazers package (without Lillard) that would have any possibility of being the best offer.

Given the age and money difference it would basically be impossible without a 3rd team. We would also probably need to package Dlo as the two are best friends and Dlo’s contract is up for an extension next year. Now your talking Dame, CJ, picks and more for Dlo and KAT and neither side does it.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1127 » by cmoss84 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 pm

Does Philly have ANY leverage right now with Simmons? At what point do they just take what they can get? I understand the reason for wanting V8 to get as many minutes as possible...but if Simmons could be had for pennies on the dollar (Beasley, Naz, Okogie, draft picks, etc.), do you pull the trigger?
Could they go with a lineup of Kat, V8, Simmons, Edwards, and Dlo?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1128 » by winforlose » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:27 pm

cmoss84 wrote:Does Philly have ANY leverage right now with Simmons? At what point do they just take what they can get? I understand the reason for wanting V8 to get as many minutes as possible...but if Simmons could be had for pennies on the dollar (Beasley, Naz, Okogie, draft picks, etc.), do you pull the trigger?

The answer is no on both counts.

1. Philly is 5th right now in the east. Even if the season gets sacrificed a long term replacement for Simmons is far more valuable than a trio of role players and some picks that probably end up being late.

2. V8 and Simmons both lack a jump shot. Having one offensive liability is a struggle, having two is a disaster. We don’t even play V8 with JO, and JO in theory can hit some 3s. V8 plus Simmons closes the lane completely. Ant is then denied any meaningful inside game and all our 3s would be closely defended.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,519

Post#1129 » by shrink » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:55 am

winforlose wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:Does Philly have ANY leverage right now with Simmons? At what point do they just take what they can get? I understand the reason for wanting V8 to get as many minutes as possible...but if Simmons could be had for pennies on the dollar (Beasley, Naz, Okogie, draft picks, etc.), do you pull the trigger?

1. Philly is 5th right now in the east. Even if the season gets sacrificed a long term replacement for Simmons is far more valuable than a trio of role players and some picks that probably end up being late.

2. V8 and Simmons both lack a jump shot. Having one offensive liability is a struggle, having two is a disaster. We don’t even play V8 with JO, and JO in theory can hit some 3s. V8 plus Simmons closes the lane completely. Ant is then denied any meaningful inside game and all our 3s would be closely defended.

Good answer.

I would also add that since PHI has made a bit of a run, they seem like they will easily make the playoffs without Ben. And since they are focused on the playoffs, they only need his production (or a trade equivalent) once they get there.

Also, Morey has painted himself into a corner now, and can’t/won’t accept a poor package, even if Simmons dies on the vine.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1130 » by winforlose » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Good answer.

I would also add that since PHI has made a bit of a run, they seem like they will easily make the playoffs without Ben. And since they are focused on the playoffs, they only need his production (or a trade equivalent) once they get there.

Also, Morey has painted himself into a corner now, and can’t/won’t accept a poor package, even if Simmons dies on the vine.

I have to wonder what kind of shape Simmons is in at this point. The longer he sits out the harder it will be to get back into game shape. Add to that the mental health component (which may or may not be real,) and you have to wonder if we will actually play this season even if his moved at the deadline.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,519

Post#1131 » by shrink » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:19 am

Yeah, I don’t think Morey would trade him for garbage, but the Simmons risks are piling up.

1. A new GM doesn’t know if he’s physically healthy.
2. A new GM doesn’t know if his mental issues (if he isn’t lying about them) will affect him - how could he prove he’s healthy?
3. A new GM doesn’t know if he will honor his contract if he faces adversity again.

Simmons refusing to play would leave a max-deal-sized hole in a team’s production. I just mentioned ont he Trade Board, “What possible assurances could Simmons give a new team that he wouldn’t pull this stunt again .. when he has already shown he won’t honor the legal contract he signed? And even if a GM wants to gamble, imagine if he does it again (what’s stopping him?). No GM in the world is going to trade for him if he’s done that twice .. the team would just have to eat that max deal for several years.

Ben Simmons was a terrific player. This year, he has been the worst player in the league. No GM knows which Ben Simmons they would be trading for.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1132 » by winforlose » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:28 am

shrink wrote:Yeah, I don’t think Morey would trade him for garbage, but the Simmons risks are piling up.

1. A new GM doesn’t know if he’s physically healthy.
2. A new GM doesn’t know if his mental issues (if he isn’t lying about them) will affect him - how could he prove he’s healthy?
3. A new GM doesn’t know if he will honor his contract if he faces adversity again.

Simmons refusing to play would leave a max-deal-sized hole in a team’s production. I just mentioned ont he Trade Board, “What possible assurances could Simmons give a new team that he wouldn’t pull this stunt again .. when he has already shown he won’t honor the legal contract he signed? And even if a GM wants to gamble, imagine if he does it again (what’s stopping him?). No GM in the world is going to trade for him if he’s done that twice .. the team would just have to eat that max deal for several years.

Ben Simmons was a terrific player. This year, he has been the worst player in the league. No GM knows which Ben Simmons they would be trading for.

This, plus there is no guarantee any fan base would be on his side. Simmons meltdown cost Philly and if he melts down again our fans or any teams fans will turn on him. FFS he shot in the 30% range on free throws in the playoffs. This from a guy who has no mid range or 3 point shot. He wasn’t justified in demanding out of Philly and the circumstances that led to this disaster are not only easily repeatable, they are more likely than not.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1133 » by Mattya » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:13 am

With the emergence of Vando it is difficult to justify trading for Simmons. Vando doesn’t have the offense Simmons provides, but he is up there in everything else, at like 1/5th the price. I think a Simmons trade at this point could really hurt the chemistry of the team, especially since I think it would take even more moves to balance the roster.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#1134 » by Neeva » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:23 am

Mattya wrote:With the emergence of Vando it is difficult to justify trading for Simmons. Vando doesn’t have the offense Simmons provides, but he is up there in everything else, at like 1/5th the price. I think a Simmons trade at this point could really hurt the chemistry of the team, especially since I think it would take even more moves to balance the roster.

It is actually 1/8th the price. Simmons is really overpaid and Vanderbilt is a bargain.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1135 » by shangrila » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 am

I thought it was interesting, in that Rosas thread, how Nurkic's name was brought up by Windhorst. THAT would be a hell of a pickup and something I'd do without even thinking twice.

If we could snag Covington in the same deal...nice.

I also agree with Windy that Wood is probably not a target for most teams now, including us. He's nowhere near good enough to justify a toxic behaviour.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1136 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Mattya wrote:With the emergence of Vando it is difficult to justify trading for Simmons. Vando doesn’t have the offense Simmons provides, but he is up there in everything else, at like 1/5th the price. I think a Simmons trade at this point could really hurt the chemistry of the team, especially since I think it would take even more moves to balance the roster.

Honestly, when you factor in everything, I wouldn't trade Vanderbilt straight up for Simmons. This comment would've been labeled as insanity just two months ago. Funny how things change. Morey should've fell on that grenade a long time ago. Now, he's apparently trying to attach the horrible contract of Harris in any Simmons trade as if that will improve the offers. Morey needs to be put out to pasture yesterday.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1137 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1138 » by shangrila » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 pm

Wiretap inspired thought;

Marcus Morris for Malik Beasley, Jake Layman and a 2nd.

Apparently the Clippers might be sellers by the deadline. Morris should bring more toughness and scoring at the 3/4 spot, while this deal also saves us a few mil (hence the 2nd). Per WT, Clippers might be looking to both shed Morris specifically (possible red flag) and get younger (hence, Beasley).

Probably not the 1st deal I'd do but if nothing else is happening by the deadline this seems like a good option to improve our bench.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#1139 » by minimus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 pm

shangrila wrote:Wiretap inspired thought;

Apparently the Clippers might be sellers by the deadline. Morris should bring more toughness and scoring at the 3/4 spot, while this deal also saves us a few mil (hence the 2nd). Per WT, Clippers might be looking to both shed Morris specifically (possible red flag) and get younger (hence, Beasley).

Probably not the 1st deal I'd do but if nothing else is happening by the deadline this seems like a good option to improve our bench.

Morris as a player is exactly that type of tough combo forward we need. Morris as a person is exactly that type of person who can signlehandely ruin our chemistry.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#1140 » by DaMplsKid » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:49 pm

shangrila wrote:Wiretap inspired thought;

With the Paul George news (might be out the season) I think the should be looking to sell. Haven't looked at salaries yet but Bledsoe, Jackson, Batum and Ibaka are all guy's I would love to get. Even Zubac might be of interest. Morris not on my list.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves