ImageImageImage

Faith in Finch

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
Sixth Man
And1: 546

Re: Faith in Finch 

Post#21 » by winforlose » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Looks like the team might have faith in Finch as well :).
winforlose
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by winforlose » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am

So I just read that the Pels 30 turnovers tied the franchise record. The game before the Rockets had 31 turnovers. With a defensive turnaround like this it is hard not to look at the dichotomy between Ryan Saunders and Chris Finch.
Irishniner
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#23 » by Irishniner » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Finch has been great. He has a very cool and calm demeanor and doesn't panic. His offense is very good and he is seen as a high calibre offensive coach by people around the league.

Our new defensive coordinator, Elston Turner is looking to be a big upgrade so far. Hopefully the level of intensity stays high for the whole year.

Towns really, really undermines the effort level though when gets too whiny. They had some very easy fast break points where he was out of the picture for nearly the whole possession. This happened at least 5 times.

Hopefully Finch pulls him up on it in the film room, cos it's ridiculous. We wont win many games with that going on.
winforlose
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:55 pm

I heard a lot about the Pat Beverly effect on the defense, and I agree it is real. But I also felt that Finch was a little under appreciated in this massive defensive turn around. Between hiring the DC, changing the scheme, and motivating these guys to focus on defense first, Finch has built a culture which I hope endures long after Beverly leaves or retires here (a man can hope.) I have faith in Finch, and this team, we just need one more damn beef bus or at least a big PF to take us to the promised land.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 10,461

Post#25 » by Colbinii » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:07 pm

Finch has the team playing defense with high energy and players putting in effort on that end and its the first time I have seen this from a Timberwolves team since Garnett Era.

The team has also found their secret sauce--Jared Vanderbilt. He is the perfect compliment as a special rebounder on the offensive end and a terrific defender in the way he moves his feet. He has an "old school" way of affecting the game which, instead of being a shooter, is a terrific cutter and more important, as mentioned above, offensive rebounder.

If you look at all the 2-man line-up data, the team is crushing it with Vanderbilt.

Towns-Vanderbilt: +11.6
Edwards-Vanderbilt: +16.4
Russell-Vanderbilt: +20.3
Beverley-Vanderbilt: +18.7

If you scroll through basketball reference 5-man line-ups for the Timberwolves, each one that pops includes Vanderbilt.

Statistically, he is the only non-center in the top 27 of all NBA players in OREB%, where he ranks 7th.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 10,461

Post#26 » by Colbinii » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:12 am

Colbinii wrote:The team has also found their secret sauce--Jared Vanderbilt. He is the perfect compliment as a special rebounder on the offensive end and a terrific defender in the way he moves his feet. He has an "old school" way of affecting the game which, instead of being a shooter, is a terrific cutter and more important, as mentioned above, offensive rebounder.

If you look at all the 2-man line-up data, the team is crushing it with Vanderbilt.

Towns-Vanderbilt: +11.6
Edwards-Vanderbilt: +16.4
Russell-Vanderbilt: +20.3
Beverley-Vanderbilt: +18.7

If you scroll through basketball reference 5-man line-ups for the Timberwolves, each one that pops includes Vanderbilt.

Statistically, he is the only non-center in the top 27 of all NBA players in OREB%, where he ranks 7th.

Bump!
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves