Faith in Finch

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Re: Faith in Finch 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 am

winforlose wrote:We just got to 30 wins before we got to 30 losses. I don’t know how many coaches for the wolves hit the milestone, but it is nice. 30-27 is a nice achievement for Finch in his first full year. Now we just need to finish strong and get to that 6th seed.

The answer is two, not counting Finch.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,386

Post#42 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:54 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:We just got to 30 wins before we got to 30 losses. I don’t know how many coaches for the wolves hit the milestone, but it is nice. 30-27 is a nice achievement for Finch in his first full year. Now we just need to finish strong and get to that 6th seed.

The answer is two, not counting Finch.

Flip and I am guessing Thibs. 03/04 and 17/18
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:38 pm

One of the biggest names Finch had to win over was Towns. He has been the face of the franchise for seven years and is on his fifth head coach since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2015, and remains extremely close with Ryan Saunders. But at this stage of his career, Towns wants to win more than anything else, and Finch’s early credentials have KAT hyped.

“He’s just so creative when it comes to his offensive schemes and defensive schemes and that says a lot about Finch,” Towns said. “The way I feel about Finch and how highly I think of him, because the guy before him was a man I would die for in Ryan, so for him to come in and have to fill his shoes, that’s a tall task, especially with someone like me.”

https://theathletic.com/3139996/2022/02/22/the-more-i-win-the-more-i-want-to-win-chris-finchs-eventful-first-year-in-minnesota/?source=emp_shared_article
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#44 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Klomp wrote:One of the biggest names Finch had to win over was Towns. He has been the face of the franchise for seven years and is on his fifth head coach since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2015, and remains extremely close with Ryan Saunders. But at this stage of his career, Towns wants to win more than anything else, and Finch’s early credentials have KAT hyped.

“He’s just so creative when it comes to his offensive schemes and defensive schemes and that says a lot about Finch,” Towns said. “The way I feel about Finch and how highly I think of him, because the guy before him was a man I would die for in Ryan, so for him to come in and have to fill his shoes, that’s a tall task, especially with someone like me.”

https://theathletic.com/3139996/2022/02/22/the-more-i-win-the-more-i-want-to-win-chris-finchs-eventful-first-year-in-minnesota/?source=emp_shared_article

Can you please post the text or link to somewhere that does?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:49 pm

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,410

Post#47 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 8:39 pm

Finch is definitely a keeper and deserves more recognition for the job he’s done this year. The way he’s got players to buy in is such a good indicator of future success. Good young core, good coach, and a smart FO is 3/4 of what you need for sustainable success as a franchise. The only question mark left for the Wolves is the ownership situation but Marc Lore seems to be saying all the right things.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#48 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 9, 2022 8:43 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Finch is definitely a keeper and deserves more recognition for the job he’s done this year. The way he’s got players to buy in is such a good indicator of future success. Good young core, good coach, and a smart FO is 3/4 of what you need for sustainable success as a franchise. The only question mark left for the Wolves is the ownership situation but Marc Lore seems to be saying all the right things.

I wish that were true. Unfortunately between Owners and coaches there is a middle man, the POBO (President of Basketball Operations.) Rosas and Finch were friends going back years, and Rosas would definitely have protected Finch. Unfortunately, the new guy (assuming we hire one instead of promoting Gupta,) will have no such relationship. This doesn’t necessarily mean trouble ahead, but it is a variable that could become troublesome.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#49 » by shrink » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm

Deadspin says Finch should be Coach of the Year

As the season winds down and Minnesota heats up, Chris Finch deserves a nod for Coach of the Year for the reconstruction work he’s done in Minnesota. And if we’re using the same metrics for 2021’s Coach of the Year, Tom Thibodeau, he should win it. No disrespect to Spoelstra and Monty Williams, whose coaching jobs have been stellar, but titles are their focus, not regular-season awards. Finch and the Timberwolves deserve acknowledgment for this remarkable turnaround.

Last season, Thibodeau earned Coach of the Year in New York for turning the 21-45 Knicks into a 41-31 playoff team in the East. Thibodeau was lauded for transforming a middle-of-the-road defense into a top-five unit.

https://deadspin.com/chris-finch-is-the-nba-s-coach-of-the-year-1848651469
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Post#50 » by Calinks » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:59 pm

shrink wrote:Deadspin says Finch is Coach of the Year

As the season winds down and Minnesota heats up, Chris Finch deserves a nod for Coach of the Year for the reconstruction work he’s done in Minnesota. And if we’re using the same metrics for 2021’s Coach of the Year, Tom Thibodeau, he should win it. No disrespect to Spoelstra and Monty Williams, whose coaching jobs have been stellar, but titles are their focus, not regular-season awards. Finch and the Timberwolves deserve acknowledgment for this remarkable turnaround.

Last season, Thibodeau earned Coach of the Year in New York for turning the 21-45 Knicks into a 41-31 playoff team in the East. Thibodeau was lauded for transforming a middle-of-the-road defense into a top-five unit.

https://deadspin.com/chris-finch-is-the-nba-s-coach-of-the-year-1848651469

Really crazy to see all the fanfare Thibs got for his job compared to Finch and the wolves. Just goes to show how massive that New York market is. Randle was also in some MVP talks, no one has whispered about Towns. If this was New York there would probably be a pretty big campaign.

I'm very curious to see what our national tv schedule looks like next season. I don't think we will get anything close to the Knicks coverage but I expect a boost.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#51 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:36 pm

If you had told me before the season we would be 46-36 and in 7th, I might have been slightly disappointed. If you had told we would be 46-36 and in 7th after we started 4-9 I would have been over the moon. Either way, if NY turning things around was enough to get Thibs COTY last year, then Finch should at least be runner up behind Monty Williams, (HC of the Suns.) I didn’t always agree with his schemes, his timeout timing, his rotation choices, (more Nowell would have been good,) ect… but I respect the man. He and Beverly have inspired this young group and kept them hungry and bought in. He has brought a culture of winning and maintained a competitive rotation while fostering a since of chemistry and connection within the group. Most importantly he can be harsh and critical when he needs to be while still maintaining the respect, loyalty, and to some degree love of his players. In summary, while Finch is not a perfect coach, he is still a damn good coach. Arguably one of the best we have ever had, and I have Faith in Finch moving forward.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#52 » by Baseline81 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:04 pm

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,719

Post#53 » by minimus » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:07 pm

Well deserved, Coach!
shrink
RealGM

Post#54 » by shrink » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:25 pm

I listened to a podcast where someone said the Wolves core was KAT, Ant, and Finch. I like it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#55 » by shrink » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:31 pm

I hope he gets mentioned in the “Coach of the Year” voting. I don’t think he wins, but this team won 23 games last year (several because he stepped in to coach the second half), and this season he doubled it. Vegas had us at 35.5 or lower, and I doubt many teams exceeded their total by 10+. Moreover, he did it with a decidedly imperfect roster.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#56 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:43 pm

shrink wrote:I hope he gets mentioned in the “Coach of the Year” voting. I don’t think he wins, but this team won 23 games last year (several because he stepped in to coach the second half), and this season he doubled it. Vegas had us at 35.5 or lower, and I doubt many teams exceeded their total by 10+. Moreover, he did it with a decidedly imperfect roster.

Ryan was a players coach who spent years sucking up and getting close to these guys. You see wedding photos with them all together and hear how much guys like KAT love Ryan. That is a tough act to follow. But Finch won them over and as a result we are winning more games. Whatever the future holds Finch is the real deal. It’s about time we had the real deal on our bench.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:27 am

I don't care if the TNT crew thinks we play stupid. Finch is a great coach and we are going to make some noise in this years playoffs starting by beating the Grizz.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#58 » by Dewey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:41 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I hope he gets mentioned in the “Coach of the Year” voting. I don’t think he wins, but this team won 23 games last year (several because he stepped in to coach the second half), and this season he doubled it. Vegas had us at 35.5 or lower, and I doubt many teams exceeded their total by 10+. Moreover, he did it with a decidedly imperfect roster.

Ryan was a players coach who spent years sucking up and getting close to these guys. You see wedding photos with them all together and hear how much guys like KAT love Ryan. That is a tough act to follow. But Finch won them over and as a result we are winning more games. Whatever the future holds Finch is the real deal. It’s about time we had the real deal on our bench.

Do you have a personal issue with Ryan Saunders that you cannot let it go??? Are you really Vanterpool? Did he bully you??? Give it a fricken rest - so old!!!! Hype Finch but no need to continue to belittle a bygone … holy crap
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM

Post#59 » by shrink » Tue May 10, 2022 11:31 am

Read on Twitter
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#60 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Klomp wrote:One of the biggest names Finch had to win over was Towns. He has been the face of the franchise for seven years and is on his fifth head coach since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2015, and remains extremely close with Ryan Saunders. But at this stage of his career, Towns wants to win more than anything else, and Finch’s early credentials have KAT hyped.

“He’s just so creative when it comes to his offensive schemes and defensive schemes and that says a lot about Finch,” Towns said. “The way I feel about Finch and how highly I think of him, because the guy before him was a man I would die for in Ryan, so for him to come in and have to fill his shoes, that’s a tall task, especially with someone like me.

What does that mean? I mean, what has he done to need his approval? I get he's frustrated with revolving door coaches, but you are paid to play, not be buddies with the coach. That is where Ryan failed.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves