ImageImageImage

Wolves sign Vanderbilt (3/$14 million)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Re: Wolves sign Vanderbilt (3/$14 million) 

Post#61 » by old school 34 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
RiRuHoops wrote:So another offseason coming to an end and Rosas still got no starting PF ? wtf

The guy many Wolves fans went goo-goo, gah-gah over was Larry Nance Jr, a guy who has career-best years of 10/7 or 9/8. His best per36 season was 14.5/11.5.

Last year at age 21, Vanderbilt averaged 10.9/11.5 per36. Not that far off.

Now factor in that Nance cost a 1st to acquire his $10m salary, while Vanderbilt will make 40% of that and didn't cost a 1st.
100% agreed & again not that any of the Vando supporters say he's the final answer....but he's at a very reasonable deal & is a guy with some upside still (not guaranteeing whether he'll achieve it, but way to early to just assume he is what he is).

In an earlier post, I asked if guys had specific examples of pf's that would lean towards the argument that he's an overpay....I spun thru a bunch of the rosters & I can't find a lot of examples (I did exclude rookie deals & ring chaser contracts)....the ones that I still found...I doubt we still would've been able to do when factoring in the MN FA tax (ie--Jeff Green isn't signing with us for the 4.5 that he did with Den).

Of course a starting pf is still a need...but resigning Vando doesn't keep us from getting that done & at the end of the day it's still most likely only to be resolved via draft or trade.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,584

Post#62 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 4, 2022 5:20 am

Really interesting to look back at this thread.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 4, 2022 5:20 am

Posted without comment

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#64 » by old school 34 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:18 am

Klomp wrote:Really interesting to look back at this thread.
Absolutely...funny how fast things can change.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,013

Post#65 » by shrink » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:44 am

I’m generally not a fan of pumping old threads, but this was interesting.

At the time of the signing, injuries had prevented Jarred from showing very much except athleticism and length. With his huge offensive deficiencies, it was quite possible he would never be able to play with Towns, because teams would simply put two defenders on KAT. However, pricing him at $4.5 mil a year protected the Wolves. It paid him as a decent back up, but also gave them plenty of room for upside if he could do anything offensively (thank you, Coach Finch). It wasn’t a bad deal for him at the time. I’m sure he was disappointed it wasn’t more (every player thinks he can be, and should be paid like, a star), but it gave him guaranteed money.

Now, we are basking in the glory of this deal. He’s a critical starter, #20 in overall RAPTOR, sandwiched between Trae Young and JRue Holiday, who will make $25 mil more each season than he does. If he remains a starter, he is a huge windfall to our financial future, particularly since we already have two max deals on the books. Our lottery number hit when Vando signed to that number!
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#66 » by theGreatRC » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:09 am

theGreatRC wrote:Perfectly fine with Vanderbilt starting at PF next to KAT, hopefully he worked on his finishing and FT shooting this summer.

He was a high energy big man that played with an endless motor. Was able to switch and guard perimeter players as well. Just can't shoot or catch the ball to save his life

Said this back in September and happy I said it lol.

I will say, his ability to catch the ball has improved a lot. FT shooting started off hot & he cooled off as the season went on. Still can't shoot, but at least his knows his limits.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#67 » by Neeva » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:13 am

Just wish we signed him for longer on this bargain deal.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#68 » by packforfreedom » Fri Feb 4, 2022 10:27 am

glad I'am on the right side of history on this one.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#69 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Feb 4, 2022 11:38 am

theGreatRC wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Perfectly fine with Vanderbilt starting at PF next to KAT, hopefully he worked on his finishing and FT shooting this summer.

He was a high energy big man that played with an endless motor. Was able to switch and guard perimeter players as well. Just can't shoot or catch the ball to save his life

Said this back in September and happy I said it lol.

I will say, his ability to catch the ball has improved a lot. FT shooting started off hot & he cooled off as the season went on. Still can't shoot, but at least his knows his limits.

He’s much better receiving balls and his touch around the rim has improved as well.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#70 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Feb 4, 2022 2:03 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes!

Where are you?
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#71 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 4, 2022 2:13 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes!

Where are you?

We don't need to do that.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,301

Post#72 » by younggunsmn » Sat Feb 5, 2022 3:41 am

Extremely glad to be eating crow on this one, 2/3 the way through the season.

Vanderbilt has been far better than the end of the bench guy I had him pegged for, props to Finch for seeing those talents, finding a niche for him on offense, and sticking with him when so many (fans and pundits) were still stuck on needing a shooter next to KAT.

I still think spending so close to the lux before the season even starts is bad business, but this was a great move.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#73 » by Basti » Sat Feb 5, 2022 8:48 am

Can't say I had much of an opinion about Vando before the season started because I kinda watched five games last year. But he has been my favourite Wolf this year. I love the entire squad but he's the one who sticks out. He is my Trenton Hassel 2.0.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 5, 2022 3:21 pm

People are starting to notice nationally too

Read on Twitter

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#75 » by Mattya » Sat Feb 5, 2022 4:37 pm

I remember last season he had a game where he just played eye opening defense against Butler and the Heat. That was the first time I saw him as more than just a good rebounder. He worked on his game and his hands and now he is a threat to catch lobs, camp in the dunkers position for drop offs, and even bring it up on the break for layups and hand offs with good screens for our shooters. One of the best finds in Wolves history imo.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 5, 2022 5:20 pm

shrink wrote:

I’m generally not a fan of pumping old threads, but this was interesting.

At the time of the signing, injuries had prevented Jarred from showing very much except athleticism and length. With his huge offensive deficiencies, it was quite possible he would never be able to play with Towns, because teams would simply put two defenders on KAT. However, pricing him at $4.5 mil a year protected the Wolves. It paid him as a decent back up, but also gave them plenty of room for upside if he could do anything offensively (thank you, Coach Finch). It wasn’t a bad deal for him at the time. I’m sure he was disappointed it wasn’t more (every player thinks he can be, and should be paid like, a star), but it gave him guaranteed money.

Now, we are basking in the glory of this deal. He’s a critical starter, #20 in overall RAPTOR, sandwiched between Trae Young and JRue Holiday, who will make $25 mil more each season than he does. If he remains a starter, he is a huge windfall to our financial future, particularly since we already have two max deals on the books. Our lottery number hit when Vando signed to that number!

I normally don't bump old threads either, but his own thread was buried even farther back (since found, last post 9/27/20) and I thought the comments in this thread were especially interesting looking back.

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#77 » by Basti » Sat Feb 5, 2022 8:51 pm

Klomp wrote:People are starting to notice nationally too

Read on Twitter

That was a great read. Thank you for posting that link.

If you’re watching Minnesota, think the opposing team has secured control of the ball, and look up to see otherwise, the answer to “how did the Wolves get the ball back?” is Vanderbilt more often than not.

That part was my favourite.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#78 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Feb 8, 2022 6:53 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes!

Where are you?

I am right here and I stand by the fact we overpaid given his market, good thing he is out preforming his contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves