ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Re: Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#961 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:What’s the best offer you’d support for Simmons from a Wolves’ perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shine is probably off McDaniels, but I'd try him with Beasley and a couple of lotto protected FRPs as the price has to have come down on Simmons.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#962 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm

I can't read many of the posts here. They are like novels. Short and sweet please. I know you can economize on the words.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,385

Post#963 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:What’s the best offer you’d support for Simmons from a Wolves’ perspective?

The shine is probably off McDaniels, but I'd try him with Beasley and a couple of lotto protected FRPs as the price has to have come down on Simmons.

Just gonna ask it to ask it. Do you expect Simmons to be game ready after not practicing all season? If it takes him 2-4 weeks to get ready and contribute and we are down two rotation players in the meantime, what does that do to our season?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#964 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Just gonna ask it to ask it. Do you expect Simmons to be game ready after not practicing all season? If it takes him 2-4 weeks to get ready and contribute and we are down two rotation players in the meantime, what does that do to our season?

Simmons could roll out of bed and play 5 minutes later. That's the kind of athlete he is.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,385

Post#965 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The shine is probably off McDaniels, but I'd try him with Beasley and a couple of lotto protected FRPs as the price has to have come down on Simmons.

Simmons could roll out of bed and play 5 minutes later. That's the kind of athlete he is.

You say that, but look at how being out of shape has affected guys like Beasley, Juancho, Layman, ect… That just isn’t true at this level of competition.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#966 » by shrink » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:The bottom line here is to rid ourselves of that bias, we have to accept what we choose to do. Anyone who thinks what Simmons does in PHI is purely situational, and couldn’t happen here, is unintentionally deluding themselves.

Of course it could happen here. But that doesn't mean it would happen here. That's where it seems the line is drawn.

Any player on any day for any reason could choose not to play. So should the team never draft or sign or trade for another player ever again?.

This is a classic logical fallacy, trying to expand an argument to a ridiculous degree to dismiss it. Reductio ad absurdum.

Also, Simmons ACTUAL HISTORY makes him more likely to choose not to play, versus the thousands of players that haven’t already done it a first time.

Off-court issues shouldn't affect the on-court value of a player to a franchise

Be real. This happens all the time, including right now with Simmons, when he literally isn’t getting on the court.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#967 » by King Malta » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:The bottom line here is to rid ourselves of that bias, we have to accept what we choose to do. Anyone who thinks what Simmons does in PHI is purely situational, and couldn’t happen here, is unintentionally deluding themselves.

Of course it could happen here. But that doesn't mean it would happen here. That's where it seems the line is drawn.

Any player on any day for any reason could choose not to play. So should the team never draft or sign or trade for another player ever again?.

This is a classic logical fallacy, trying to expand an argument to a ridiculous degree to dismiss it.

Also, Simmons ACTUAL HISTORY makes him more likely to choose not to play, versus the thousands of players that haven’t already done it a first time.

Be real. This happens all the time, including right now with Simmons, when he literally isn’t getting on the court.

Ben Simmons would probably be playing right now if his coach and team-mate hadn't publicly thrown him under the bus after a bad playoff series. Especially after about 4 years of keeping that team competitive when Embiid took his compulsory 15-20 game holiday every season.

Accusing people of logical fallacies or deluding themselves when you continuously push this narrative without taking into account all the build up and contributing events is pretty poor in my opinion.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#968 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

This is a classic logical fallacy, trying to expand an argument to a ridiculous degree to dismiss it.

I think that risk is tiny. It doesn't concern me at all.
shrink
RealGM

Post#969 » by shrink » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The shine is probably off McDaniels, but I'd try him with Beasley and a couple of lotto protected FRPs as the price has to have come down on Simmons.

Mental athlete?

What have you seen from Simmons, who is literally saying he is “mentally unprepared to play for any team,” that he is lying and can go play right now?

If this is true, then you have to have bigger questions about his character.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#970 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You say that, but look at how being out of shape has affected guys like Beasley, Juancho, Layman, ect… That just isn’t true at this level of competition.

They aren't Ben Simmons. It's not the same thing.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,487

Post#971 » by Wolveswin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:

A third team is needed. Morey wants nothing Wolves have.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#972 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:23 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Mental athlete?

What have you seen from Simmons, who is literally saying he is “mentally unprepared to play for any team,” that he is lying and can go play right now?

He's mentally unprepared to play for Philly only. He's fine to play for any other team. If that's bad character I guess it is. I don't care much.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Post#973 » by Calinks » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Very curious to see where he winds up. Wonder what offers are out there now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM

Post#974 » by shrink » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Simmons could roll out of bed and play 5 minutes later. That's the kind of athlete he is.

Mental athlete?

He's mentally unprepared to play for Philly only. He's fine to play for any other team

How can you possibly know that?

Why would Simmons lie?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,957

Post#975 » by Domejandro » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:47 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:Mental athlete?

He's mentally unprepared to play for Philly only. He's fine to play for any other team

Why would Simmons lie?

To avoid losing tens of millions of dollars by getting fined.
shrink
RealGM

Post#976 » by shrink » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:09 pm

Domejandro wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:He's mentally unprepared to play for Philly only. He's fine to play for any other team

Why would Simmons lie?

No, if he’s trying to get traded, he would say he’s not mentally prepared to play for the Sixers, not that he’s not mentally prepared to play basketball. What he said hurts his position, and it hurts Morey’s position to trade him.

There is no way to know “he’s fine to play for any team.”

And even if people claim he is, that does not mean that the next time he wants out, he won’t simply do the same thing to a new team that he has done to PHI this season.

Both doors are risky, with his giant salary.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#977 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:15 pm

shrink wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
shrink wrote:How can you possibly know that?

Why would Simmons lie?

No, if he’s trying to get traded, he would say he’s not mentally prepared to play for the Sixers, not that he’s not mentally prepared to play basketball. What he said hurts his position, and it hurts Morey’s position to trade him.

There is no way to know “he’s fine to play for any team.”

And even if people claim he is, that does not mean that the next time he wants out, he won’t simply do the same thing to a new team that he has done to PHI this season.

Both doors are bad.

I don't like when players do this kind of thing but let's not forget there are two sides of the story here.
Ben wasn't well treated after the last playoffs series.

Fans, even coaching staff... All of this after the Ben-Harden speculation.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#978 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:20 pm

I'm just tired of mediocrity, or treadmill territory for a franchise that has 1 playoffs appearance (1st round exit) in the last 15 years or something.

Too bad we don't have anything to offer to get Ben, that's the all point for the Wolves atm.
Even if we wanted him we just don't have anything outside of Ant.
shrink
RealGM

Post#979 » by shrink » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:I'm just tired of mediocrity, or treadmill territory for a franchise that has 1 playoffs appearance (1st round exit) in the last 15 years or something.

I completely agree with being tired of the mediocrity - heck, the losing. I And1’d your post because it totally represents how I feel. However, we are only going to improve the team by looking at players rationally. We can’t let our desperation blind us to realities. Saying, “he’s fine to play for other teams” is just wishful thinking - the evidence does not provide any certainty.

Every player brings risks. There is the potential for injuries, for lack of perforce, for meltdowns, for getting into trouble. Ben Simmons has great strengths that people love (defense, passing), but he has great weaknesses as well (never been able to shoot, pressure situations). On top of this, now you have a huge additional risk that no other player since Larry Sanders has shown - he is producing nothing because he is either emotionally incapable of playing basketball, OR he is simply willing to not honor contracts. This is one of the riskiest players I’ve ever seen, sitting on a potentially crippling four year max deal.

Maybe if he was traded here, he learns to shoot, pressure situations never bother him again, he is always mentally prepared to play basketball and he never again refuses to honor his contract. If that happened, he’d be a fantastic addition that would boost us out of mediocrity. I get it - I want to believe in it too. But we need to recognize that this scenario is wishful thinking, and wishful thinking is what has kept us in the basement for so long (Wiggins contract, for example).
shrink
RealGM

Post#980 » by shrink » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Let me bring a little optimism. With or without Ben Simmons, things change fast.

Compare us now to two years ago. We added Anthony freakin Edwards! We don’t have “unmovable” Andrew Wiggins. We have a great new coach. A new GM, and new owners are on the way. The team is Top Ten in .. defense?!? If the season ended today, we’d be in the play-in game.

I feel like we’re finally moving in the right direction, and if we can avoid a desperate Hail Mary, I am optimistic we can become a good team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves