ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Re: Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#141 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:22 pm

At this point, I'm content going into the season as-is. I expect Simmons to sit out until he is dealt, and I also expect Morey to hold firm for awhile. I'll say we'll see a resolution some time beginning around Christmas, especially if the Sixers get off to a rough start. Maybe they hold off until the all-star break. At that point, the Sixers can view the trade as essentially trading nothing (since Simmons wouldn't be playing) to get a key piece.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#142 » by Calinks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Klomp wrote:At this point, I'm content going into the season as-is. I expect Simmons to sit out until he is dealt, and I also expect Morey to hold firm for awhile. I'll say we'll see a resolution some time beginning around Christmas, especially if the Sixers get off to a rough start. Maybe they hold off until the all-star break. At that point, the Sixers can view the trade as essentially trading nothing (since Simmons wouldn't be playing) to get a key piece.

I agree with this. I dnot' think Morey has any reason to trade Simmons unless he see's an awesome deal. People keep saying his value will drop. I don't think it will drop forever. Morey can hold out for a long time. Simmons may suit up just so he can show his value and get traded faster.

Teams will also feel different;y if they are playing next season and things are n't going well. For example, if Boston, The Clippers, Nuggets, Lakers, Blazers, etc. wind up having really bad seasons 20 games in. they could be looking for a big change, suddenly the trade offers are looking much better.

On our end, if Jaden takes a step back or Edwards starts playing like he did in the first half of the season, Rosas's offer probably changes to include them. A lot can happen while the season is going on. It's in Moreys best interest to hold out and look for better offers, as ugly as that will be.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#143 » by Howard Cosell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 pm

Nah. Morey trades Simmons right before training camp begins or during training camp…no later.

Why?

Joel Embiid’s window.

Morey needs to place assets around Embiid in the next 2 years which gives them the best opportunity possible to win a championship in Philly.

Embiid is going to want to see and play with those assets pronto. Can’t waste time.

Morey can’t wait to pull the trigger well into 2021/2022 NBA season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:59 pm

Howard Cosell wrote:Nah. Morey trades Simmons right before training camp begins or during training camp…no later.

Why?

Joel Embiid’s window.

Morey needs to place assets around Embiid in the next 2 years which gives them the best opportunity possible to win a championship in Philly.

Embiid is going to want to see and play with those assets pronto. Can’t waste time.

Regular season means very little. Embiid saw that firsthand last season. If it means the difference between Beasley/McDaniels and maybe a Beal or Lillard, Embiid should be content with waiting it out.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#145 » by Baseline81 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Klomp wrote:At this point, I'm content going into the season as-is. I expect Simmons to sit out until he is dealt, and I also expect Morey to hold firm for awhile. I'll say we'll see a resolution some time beginning around Christmas, especially if the Sixers get off to a rough start. Maybe they hold off until the all-star break. At that point, the Sixers can view the trade as essentially trading nothing (since Simmons wouldn't be playing) to get a key piece.

I question how one can be content knowing fully well the team still lacks a starting PF. Before the replies come flowing in, McDaniels, IMO, is a SF. I do recognize he'll see time at PF depending on the opponent or if Finch runs small. Unless Vanderbilt further developed over the summer, Rosas failed to upgrade the one position he needed two years in a row.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#146 » by Calinks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Howard Cosell wrote:Nah. Morey trades Simmons right before training camp begins or during training camp…no later.

Why?

Joel Embiid’s window.

Hey may not get a package that does that though. Right now the offers probably aren't great, it seems like we are one of the few teams putting a solid offer on the table. Morey can't make this trade and not get back good value because of that Embiid window. He needs to make a trade that benefits the Sixers right away. Right now, he doesn't feel any of the current deals do that.

They will wait and in 4 months, the deals he is getting could be drastically different. There will be some teams with star players, who are not playing up to their potential and they might be ready to move on. Morey should be looking for something like that at this point and time. We know that perception of how a team will do and the reality of how the season plays out can be vastly different.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I question how one can be content knowing fully well the team still lacks a starting PF. Before the replies come flowing in, McDaniels, IMO, is a SF. I do recognize he'll see time at PF depending on the opponent or if Finch runs small. Unless Vanderbilt further developed over the summer, Rosas failed to upgrade the one position he needed two years in a row.

Because for one thing, this isn't 1980s basketball. A PF isn't necessary in the same way it used to be. For another, I'm not thinking about this team as a title contender. Obviously we would all love to get there but we're not. But for where we are as an organization at the moment, I'm content.

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#148 » by Krapinsky » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm

If Morey does wait, then a bunch of guys that just signed contracts could become trade bait, which opens the list of potential suitors from 6-7 to 12-15.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#149 » by Howard Cosell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:39 pm

Embiid does not want Simmons coming into camp. Embiid doesn’t want the possibility of Simmons coming into camp.

Simmons trade will get done right before or during 76ers training camp.

No, Morey is not going to get the deal he wants but waiting on a deal when Simmons is sitting at home will not elevate Simmons trade value.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#150 » by Krapinsky » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:13 pm

I'm content with the offseason changes and excited to see how the pieces fit together.

That said, I'd still be over the moon if we could add Simmons to Towns, D-Lo, and Edwards.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#151 » by younggunsmn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:59 pm

I don't think SImmons suits up for the Sixers again for 2 reasons:
1. It was reported he told the Owner, in person, that he wanted to be traded and didn't want to play for the Sixers again.
Thats a big deal because usually its the agent that handles those types of things.
2. He was thrown under the bus by Embiid and his coach. Those relationships arent in Morey's power to mend, just like Thibs couldn't force KAT and Butler to get along. It just got worse and worse.

Simmons can still do one thing to put pressure on Morey and that is to threaten to go public with who he does and does not want to be traded to. Right now there are teams who Ben probably wouldn't be happy to go to that Morey can still use as leverage to up his asking price. Sure he is signed for the next 4 years, but you aren't giving up a haul for an unhappy player, the history on that is pretty gruesome.

Morey doesnt have to trade him, but SImmons doesn't have to play either. Recent history of players wanting out is pretty lopsided in favor of the player getting his way. The teams that fight it the hardest and let it drag on usually end up with the worst return.

I don't think Morey is going to get what he wants, or even close, but he isnt stupid either, he will get value.
Unfortunately, I think the only way we end up with him is if we pay a price I'm uncomfortable with (anything more than Beasley+Filler+2 1sts). I think whatever happens, it will be creative and involve 3 or 4 teams. I could see something like Simmons to Toronto, Siakam to the Warriors, and Kuminga, Wiggins + 2 1sts each from the Warriors and Raptors to Philadelphia.
And I think it probably will happen the week before the season starts.

How's this for creative:
Tor in:
Simmons
Wiggins
Wiseman
Tor Out:
Siakam
Dragic
Trent Jr
2 1sts

PHI in:
Dragic
Trent Jr
Kuminga
2 1sts from Tor
Phi Out:
Simmons
Seth Curry

GSW In:
Siakam
Seth Curry
GSW Out:
Wiggins
Wiseman
Kumings

Maple Jordan back to Canada along with SImmons and a center.
Brothers Curry paired up in GSW and Siakam fits in ways SImmons doesnt.
Phi still doesnt get the elite ballhandler they want, but they get 3 1sts, a young shooter on a tradeable contract, and a 1 year stop gap at PG with tradeable salary at the deadline.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#152 » by younggunsmn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:46 pm

The one concern I would have in adding Simmons is that if ANT's 3-point shooting regresses it will really hurt to have 2 poor shooters out there.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#153 » by jpatrick » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:04 am

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Rosas finally introduced the players we traded for this summer and signed Bolmaro this week. In fact, it’s done the same day Morey leaks to the Philly media that he’s not trading Simmons this offseason, not trading him for picks, and will only trade him for 5-10 players around the league that he thinks might become available.

I think the Simmons dream is officially dead for the time being. It may be rekindled as part of a three team deal down the road, but I think our odds went way down.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#154 » by jpatrick » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#155 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 am

jpatrick wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Lol.

Riiiiight.

I would want nothing more.

Self-sabotage at it's finest.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#156 » by Dewey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:02 am

jpatrick wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Definition of hypocrisy… run him down as the scapegoat and then claim your unwilling to trade for anything but a fortune … Morons. Basically they’ve publicly admitted they got nothing going (it’s not going the way we hoped it would go).
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:07 am

"Eventually he's going to show up"

I wouldn't be so sure

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#158 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 am

Klomp wrote:"Eventually he's going to show up"

I wouldn't be so sure

He not.

And if Philadelphia wants to drag their feet and fine him... it damages their standing with players and agents while concurrently lowering Simmons trade value. So I hope they try this!!! It is comedy gold.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#159 » by Macwolf527 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:32 am

I wouldn't be so sure

Me neither. He has that clause in his contract that pays him a certain amount upfront, like $8.25 million by October 1st. That’s nesting money for him if he sits out and from what I understand, they can’t withhold it even if he skips camp. Where it starts to get dicey is when the team starts to fine him. Once that happens, it’s the beginning of the end. The relationship sours more with Ben and with Klutch Sports, one of the most powerful agencies in the league. I don’t know how Morey can come out of this scenario except by moving Ben prior to training camp, when the fines must start. Buckle-Up!!
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#160 » by old school 34 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:26 am

Macwolf527 wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure

Me neither. He has that clause in his contract that pays him a certain amount upfront, like $8.25 million by October 1st. That’s nesting money for him if he sits out and from what I understand, they can’t withhold it even if he skips camp. Where it starts to get dicey is when the team starts to fine him. Once that happens, it’s the beginning of the end. The relationship sours more with Ben and with Klutch Sports, one of the most powerful agencies in the league. I don’t know how Morey can come out of this scenario except by moving Ben prior to training camp, when the fines must start. Buckle-Up!!
Didn't something similar kind of play out @ one point with AD & they came to an agreement around that about him being there kind of? Of course, Philly is going to play this card, but they have him show up & publicly tank...that will get a championship roster pretty twisted or he suddenly gets a Kawai like injury....& no more ways for the team to fine him. We just need to go thru all the steps before we actually get to the point that the inevitable comes...

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves