Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Postseason Watch 

Post#41 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:40 pm

winforlose wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Next 4 game against teams that could split the difference in seeding at the end of the year.

Nuggets, Lakers, Mavericks x2 .. Need all 4 of those tbh

Won all 4 of these games, lol. Really good news for us.

Mavs, Jazz, Celtics, Knicks, Jazz to end the year.

Both Jazz games will be tough, but I can honestly see us beating all of them to end 2021.

JO is the third wolf to enter Covid protocols, he won’t be the last. A lot of these games comes down to whose available. We could just easily end the year on a down note. That said, any of these teams could get blown up by Covid and make the game much easier. Crazy season.

Wouldn’t shock me if the nba reviews it’s protocol policy for vaccinated players with the nfl doing it. Usually it takes one league to do something and the rest follow suit. And doesn’t it seem in the last week or 2 all 3 major leagues are having huge covid problems? How did the nfl go through 13 weeks without having to move any games and now they’ve done 3 this week?

Seems like the nba has been going on for 8 weeks without much issue until the last week. Meanwhile college football has had absolutely no setbacks from what I can recall all season
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Re: Postseason Watch 

Post#42 » by life_saver » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Next 4 game against teams that could split the difference in seeding at the end of the year.

Nuggets, Lakers, Mavericks x2 .. Need all 4 of those tbh

Both Jazz games will be tough, but I can honestly see us beating all of them to end 2021.

JO is the third wolf to enter Covid protocols, he won’t be the last. A lot of these games comes down to whose available. We could just easily end the year on a down note. That said, any of these teams could get blown up by Covid and make the game much easier. Crazy season.

Prince, Okogie aren't huge misses..As long as 2 of the 3 among KAT, DLo, Ant are available to play, Wolves can compete against most of the teams in the league
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Post#43 » by winforlose » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:07 pm

life_saver wrote:
winforlose wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

Prince, Okogie aren't huge misses..As long as 2 of the 3 among KAT, DLo, Ant are available to play, Wolves can compete against most of the teams in the league

Pat Bev, and V8 just entered as well. So all 5 are missing and we get to test your theory about 2 out of 3.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#44 » by winforlose » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:15 am

So the Clippers have the tie breaker being 3 and 1 against us. Wolves post game says we are 8th, shouldn’t it by 9th?
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,170

Post#45 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:04 am

winforlose wrote:So the Clippers have the tie breaker being 3 and 1 against us. Wolves post game says we are 8th, shouldn’t it by 9th?
It should. NBA.com puts us at 9th as well.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#46 » by theGreatRC » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:44 am

winforlose wrote:So the Clippers have the tie breaker being 3 and 1 against us. Wolves post game says we are 8th, shouldn’t it by 9th?

Should be 9th because of what you just said. Could be 8th tomorrow if the Clippers lose tomorrow.

Could create more separation with us hopefully getting a W vs Houston.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#47 » by shrink » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:11 pm

Kawhi looks like he will return this season. Maybe Murray in DEN too.

I listened to a national podcast last night that immediately took this news to Minnesota. They said news like this may mean MIN will want to trade for more win-now talent, trying to insure they get to the 7th or 8th seed, and getting two guaranteed games in the Play-In Tournament.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#48 » by Biff Cooper » Sat Jan 8, 2022 8:05 pm

shrink wrote:Kawhi looks like he will return this season. Maybe Murray in DEN too.

I listened to a national podcast last night that immediately took this news to Minnesota. They said news like this may mean MIN will want to trade for more win-now talent, trying to insure they get to the 7th or 8th seed, and getting two guaranteed games in the Play-In Tournament.

Tough call. Through 39 games, the typical starting lineup of Beverley, Russell, Ant, Vando, and KAT have missed a combined 44 player games. Rotation players Beasley, Prince, Reid, McDaniels, Nowell, and Okogie have missed another 52 player games (Nowell and Okogie may have a couple of DNP-CD in that number). We don't exactly know what we have. Unless we can make a move that we envision helping us now and not really hurting us in the future, I would think it would be tough to pull the trigger on something. I'm sure Beasley or Prince could be available in exchange for a similar skilled and similar salaried PF, but tough to find something along those lines that works. To me it makes more sense to just sign a veteran FA PF for the rest of the season and stay quiet on the trade front.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#49 » by winforlose » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:22 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
shrink wrote:Kawhi looks like he will return this season. Maybe Murray in DEN too.

Tough call. Through 39 games, the typical starting lineup of Beverley, Russell, Ant, Vando, and KAT have missed a combined 44 player games. Rotation players Beasley, Prince, Reid, McDaniels, Nowell, and Okogie have missed another 52 player games (Nowell and Okogie may have a couple of DNP-CD in that number). We don't exactly know what we have. Unless we can make a move that we envision helping us now and not really hurting us in the future, I would think it would be tough to pull the trigger on something. I'm sure Beasley or Prince could be available in exchange for a similar skilled and similar salaried PF, but tough to find something along those lines that works. To me it makes more sense to just sign a veteran FA PF for the rest of the season and stay quiet on the trade front.

This only works if you believe we have time. KAT has two more years and then he can leave. More likely we would be forced to move him next year and get much less than if we moved him this year. Of course the ideal scenario is his signing an extension and committing to Minnesota indefinitely. However, with Dlo coming up for a new contract before him, a girlfriend who I thinks wants him to leave, and the national media all telling him he is wasting his career (that’s before you look at guys like KG who talk about leaving as the best thing,) you have to wonder is this the year we must win something. I think anything short of the 6th seed and a series win is a disaster waiting to happen. I think the only real asset we have is draft capital, and as long as the picks are protected, this is the time to go all in.

Or, in the alternative you package KAT and Dlo and hedge your risk.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#50 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:03 am

8th seed as of 1/8/2022. Gonna make a prediction and say we aren't falling lower than that for the rest of the season.

I think we'll be 5th or 6th by the time the reg season ends IF IF IF we stay healthy
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager

Post#51 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:20 am

theGreatRC wrote:8th seed as of 1/8/2022. Gonna make a prediction and say we aren't falling lower than that for the rest of the season.

I think we'll be 5th or 6th by the time the reg season ends IF IF IF we stay healthy

Day to day doesn’t matter as much. Even if we go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak at some point and dip to 9 that doesn’t mean we couldn’t end up in 6th. I do agree we are going to be around 5th or 6th.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 860

Post#52 » by Dalvin » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:26 am

I just thought of something. If the team does well in the next 2 years, do you guys think Glen Taylor will reneged or abort the transition he's doing to the new owners and just keep the team for himself one again.
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#53 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:38 am

Dalvin wrote:I just thought of something. If the team does well in the next 2 years, do you guys think Glen Taylor will reneged or abort the transition he's doing to the new owners and just keep the team for himself one again.

I would need to see the language of the contract to know for sure, but I doubt it. The new owners would have some very expensive and experienced lawyers to prevent that from happening.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#54 » by shrink » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:48 am

Dalvin wrote:I just thought of something. If the team does well in the next 2 years, do you guys think Glen Taylor will reneged or abort the transition he's doing to the new owners and just keep the team for himself one again.

No, Glen (80) is doing this sale as part of his estate planning.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#55 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:14 am

winforlose wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:8th seed as of 1/8/2022. Gonna make a prediction and say we aren't falling lower than that for the rest of the season.

Day to day doesn’t matter as much. Even if we go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak at some point and dip to 9 that doesn’t mean we couldn’t end up in 6th. I do agree we are going to be around 5th or 6th.

We're Wolves fans. Day to day matters. This team hasn't fully turned the corner, yet.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager

Post#56 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 9, 2022 7:38 am

theGreatRC wrote:
winforlose wrote:

We're Wolves fans. Day to day matters. This team hasn't fully turned the corner, yet.

That is kind of my point on a macro level. I agree with you about where we end up and that we haven’t fully turned the corner. I just am not sure we never dip below 8 again the rest of the season.

Also worth noting that other teams are still going through the wipeout that we went through. Utah and the Clippers are both having their turns. Plus all it takes is one injury to Curry and GSW plummets. Overall I think a few games here or there do matter but they won’t be dispositive.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#57 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:19 pm

It'd be a perfect sunday if Spurs, Clippers, Nuggets, Mavs & Lakers all lost today and we win lol
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#58 » by Biff Cooper » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:04 pm

winforlose wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:

This only works if you believe we have time. KAT has two more years and then he can leave. More likely we would be forced to move him next year and get much less than if we moved him this year. Of course the ideal scenario is his signing an extension and committing to Minnesota indefinitely. However, with Dlo coming up for a new contract before him, a girlfriend who I thinks wants him to leave, and the national media all telling him he is wasting his career (that’s before you look at guys like KG who talk about leaving as the best thing,) you have to wonder is this the year we must win something. I think anything short of the 6th seed and a series win is a disaster waiting to happen. I think the only real asset we have is draft capital, and as long as the picks are protected, this is the time to go all in.

Or, in the alternative you package KAT and Dlo and hedge your risk.

As far as I know, we have time. We are less than halfway through this season, so KAT still has over 2.5 years and Russell over 1.5 years. Ant is locked in for a long time, and improving greatly and looking like he has a chance to be an All NBA player in the near future. I am not going to get worried about what KATs girlfriend or what National media might tell him, when it seems like his best chance to win is to stay in Minnesota.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#59 » by winforlose » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:51 pm

Just gonna say it, we dropped to 9th after the clippers win. Now a win by us puts us back to 8th so no harm no foul, but just a friendly gotcha ;) ;) ;).
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#60 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:27 pm

I just re-read how the play-in works, just going to post it in case anyone doesn't know or remember:

7 & 8 seed play each other, winner gets to be the 7th seed.

9 & 10 seed play each other, winner moves on to play the loser of 7 & 8, loser's season is over.

Winner of 9 & 10 play loser of 7 & 8, winner gets 8th seed.

So 7th & 8th seed get 2 chances at a playoff seed, 8th seed gets a chance at being the 7th seed regardless of record.

All we really have to do is hang in for 8th to get 1 chance at 7th seed and 2 chances at a playoff spot.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves