ImageImageImage

Postseason Watch

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Re: Postseason Watch 

Post#401 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:38 am

Jazz just needs to lose 3 games and we will all our remaining games to get to 6th if Denver is impossible to catch
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#402 » by Note30 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:58 pm

I mean I rather play a full strength Grizzlies than a full strength Warriors. So kinda hoping we stay 7th. Only question is can we beat the Clippers with PG back?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#403 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:05 pm

Note30 wrote:I mean I rather play a full strength Grizzlies than a full strength Warriors. So kinda hoping we stay 7th. Only question is can we beat the Clippers with PG back?

Warriors have lost 6 of the last 7 and I doubt they make it to 4th much less 3rd. Gonna be one of Griz, Mavs, or Jazz. Given that the Jazz have been losing, it will probably be the Mavs (if we are 6th,) and I like our chances.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#404 » by Domejandro » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:39 pm

Pretty much sealed that Minnesota will be in the play-in against the Los Angeles Clippers. Personally, I am happy with it because that game likely will have higher stakes than any other game that Minnesota would experience in the Playoffs, this year. It is effectively a "Game Seven" feet to the fire experience for the young players.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#405 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Domejandro wrote:Pretty much sealed that Minnesota will be in the play-in against the Los Angeles Clippers. Personally, I am happy with it because that game likely will have higher stakes than any other game that Minnesota would experience in the Playoffs, this year. It is effectively a "Game Seven" feet to the fire experience for the young players.

Not really. A win out is not that improbable given that 3 of the remaining 5 are sub .500. Can we beat Denver in Denver? I think we can. Can we beat the Bulls at home, I think we can.

Denver has 31 losses and will probably lose to the the Griz. If we beat them as well that means they need to lose 1 of 2 against the Lakers or lose to the Spurs. I think it is possible. Also GSW could lose out, in which case we tie them with the tie breaker. Not a forgone conclusion that we are 7, but we have no margin for error.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Post#406 » by life_saver » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Yeah...regular season is almost all but finished for Wolves now. 7th seed is almost confirmed and a play-in match against a Clippers team that's gonna have Paul George back isn't gonna be easy. Atleast it will be a home game which is a good thing. This Wolves team is so much better when they play at home than away
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#407 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:15 pm

It is really amazing how strong Dallas and Denver finished off the season. We were pretty damn incredible until about 10 days ago, we won a ton of games and we couldn't crack those guys, they both were playing at a super high level and pulled out a lot of close games. Big credit to Lula and Jokic. Jokic has been unreal down the stretch, the dude really can't be stopped and the Nuggets really know how to use him to maximum effectiveness.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#408 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:49 pm

Calinks wrote:It is really amazing how strong Dallas and Denver finished off the season. We were pretty damn incredible until about 10 days ago, we won a ton of games and we couldn't crack those guys, they both were playing at a super high level and pulled out a lot of close games. Big credit to Lula and Jokic. Jokic has been unreal down the stretch, the dude really can't be stopped and the Nuggets really know how to use him to maximum effectiveness.

We lost MCD, Dlo turned into a pumpkin, Prince turned into a ball stopper, and Ant turned into a role player. We have always lacked consistency and we picked a bad time to have everyone collapse. KAT is the only consistent threat and between triple teams and foul trouble he isn’t carrying everything on his back the way we need him to.
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#409 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 pm

The Jazz has to lose 4 more games and we win all our remaining games(5). Seems realistic. Jazz has GSw, phx, memphis coming up. Hope the lakers steal one tonight
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#410 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Apr 1, 2022 12:16 pm

Welp. Better prepare for the Clippers then. At least we have homecourt
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#411 » by shrink » Fri Apr 1, 2022 2:21 pm

There is really only one team in the West that really scares me, and that’s the Suns. We played relatively well against them, and we still got our ass handed to us. All the rest of the teams, depending on who’s healthy, are beatable for our squad.

I am becoming concerned that we will have to beat the Clippers in a single game to avoid them, and they have bought a pretty good team if they are healthy for that game. If we lose to the Nuggets in Denver, which is very possible, then it looks like the confrontation with the Clippers is inevitable, and even if we make the playoffs, our run will be very short. We could be swept, which would be horrible for our young team that has come so far.

High stakes tonight - it could determine how we look back at the entire season.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#412 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 1, 2022 5:47 pm

shrink wrote:There is really only one team in the West that really scares me, and that’s the Suns. We played relatively well against them, and we still got our ass handed to us. All the rest of the teams, depending on who’s healthy, are beatable for our squad.

I am becoming concerned that we will have to beat the Clippers in a single game to avoid them, and they have bought a pretty good team if they are healthy for that game. If we lose to the Nuggets in Denver, which is very possible, then it looks like the confrontation with the Clippers is inevitable, and even if we make the playoffs, our run will be very short. We could be swept, which would be horrible for our young team that has come so far.

Even if Minnesota beats Denver, banking on Denver losing two more games this season (with Minnesota winning out) seems super far-fetched. Really sucks and the door is still open, but ending up as the eighth seed (after a loss to the Clippers) looks uncomfortably possible.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#413 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:19 pm

Domejandro wrote:
shrink wrote:There is really only one team in the West that really scares me, and that’s the Suns. We played relatively well against them, and we still got our ass handed to us. All the rest of the teams, depending on who’s healthy, are beatable for our squad.

Even if Minnesota beats Denver, banking on Denver losing two more games this season (with Minnesota winning out) seems super far-fetched. Really sucks and the door is still open, but ending up as the eighth seed (after a loss to the Clippers) looks uncomfortably possible.

3 of our next 4 are very winnable against bad teams. Houston and Washington have nothing to play for and we beat the spurs twice. Ending at home against the Bulls is a bit of a challenge, but honestly it is quite winnable.

Denver has Memphis who should beat them. Beyond that 2 against the Lakers with AD and one against the spurs. I wouldn’t rule out a loss in one of those 3.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#414 » by old school 34 » Sat Apr 2, 2022 6:34 am

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

3 of our next 4 are very winnable against bad teams. Houston and Washington have nothing to play for and we beat the spurs twice. Ending at home against the Bulls is a bit of a challenge, but honestly it is quite winnable.

Denver has Memphis who should beat them. Beyond that 2 against the Lakers with AD and one against the spurs. I wouldn’t rule out a loss in one of those 3.
Sunday....Lakers essentially in an elimination game vs Denver. Lakers need to have a pulse for our sliver of a chance to make the 6-seed happen...& Memphis not resting their entire team when they play as well.

The other watch & while it's a long shot as well....& less about the seeding position....but the closer we can be to Utah or even tie them record wise....I think, it drastically helps KAT's all-NBA case over Gobert specifically? And maybe, it won't matter, but anything that ensures him getting all-NBA is huge for us long term.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#415 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Apr 2, 2022 9:36 pm

Full strength Clippers(or even with just PG and not Kawhi) would be scary to face, and we want the 7th seed over the 8th for sure. Playing Memphis is a helluva lot better than Phoenix.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#416 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 3, 2022 3:05 am

So GSW just beat Utah and it is now impossible for us to catch GSW. I have to admit, I feared GSW would win tomorrows game against the kings, but never considered that they would beat the Jazz without Curry. The Jazz losing 3 more seems unlikely, but cannot be ruled out. They play the Griz and the Suns who are both more than capable of beating them. The other two Jazz games are against the Trailblazers and Thunder. If either team pulls an upset the Wolves could catch them. I don’t think it will happen, but would love it if it did.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#417 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Apr 3, 2022 3:48 am

Geez I thought the jazz would cruise without Steph. They were up like 8 when I looked earlier. Sucks we played them with a Covid depleted roster like twice
shrink
RealGM

Post#418 » by shrink » Sun Apr 3, 2022 4:03 am

So we are now two games behind both DEN and UTA. If there was a three way tie among teams all in the same Division, then the winner is based on record against the other two. UTA is 7-1, MIN is 4-4, DEN is 1-7.

It’s very unlikely it ends up in a three-way tie, but if that’s the case, UTA gets #5, MIN gets #6, and DEN gets the #7 spot.
shrink
RealGM

Post#419 » by shrink » Sun Apr 3, 2022 4:10 am

MIN: @ HOU, vs WAS, vs SAS, vs CHI

DEN: @ LAL, vs SAS, vs MEM, vs LAL

UTA: vs MEM, vs OKC*, vs PHX, @ POR

* UTA is on a back-to-back

[UTA has the tie-breaker over us, and would need to lose at least three games for us to pass them.]
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Postseason Watch 

Post#420 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Apr 3, 2022 10:06 pm

Looks like no help from the lebronless lakers today. Start prepping for LAC.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves