ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Ten): 2022 Offseason Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Re: Trade Talk (Part Ten): Trade Deadline Edition 

Post#741 » by shrink » Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 pm

I had a question for you guys. If we traded DLo, do you think we need a PG coming back in the trade?

For me, I could see Beverley as the starting PG for 75% of the games in the first half of the season, and 60% in the second half. It was a surprise to me how good his numbers were, running the pick and roll, particularly since his previous stops alongside star players never gave him that opportunity. In fact, one of the things he said about loving the Wolves and Chris Finch was the chance to be more than a defender who stands at the three point line.

So even if Beverley can handle that role as the de facto PG, do we have the talent at back up PG? If we don’t get a PG back in trade, the majority of backup minutes and spot starts will go to MacLaughlin. Do you think he’s ready for that? This does give Ant more time to run the offense, which I think is an investment we’d want to make for the future.

edit: I could see us signing Tyus Jones in free agency too, as the PG of the future. Does that work?

What are your thoughts? Do we need a PG coming back in any DLo trade?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#742 » by shangrila » Mon May 16, 2022 9:31 pm

No, we don't.

The system Finch runs is far from a traditional, PG runs PnRs or waits for an action to play out before making the right pass. Part of the reason he likes McLaughlin is because JMac gets up the court quickly, passes it off and then goes and does other things. That isn't Russell's game, so if he's removed that kind of role could easily be filled by others.

So if we traded DLo for, say, Julius Randle (just an example, nobody crucify me) then I think between Pat, JMac and Nowell we'd have more than enough. And that isn't including anyone else we might get, like maybe a Tyus Jones or Gary Payton II or whoever.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#743 » by minimus » Tue May 17, 2022 8:45 am

shrink wrote:I had a question for you guys. If we traded DLo, do you think we need a PG coming back in the trade?

For me, I could see Beverley as the starting PG for 75% of the games in the first half of the season, and 60% in the second half. It was a surprise to me how good his numbers were, running the pick and roll, particularly since his previous stops alongside star players never gave him that opportunity. In fact, one of the things he said about loving the Wolves and Chris Finch was the chance to be more than a defender who stands at the three point line.

So even if Beverley can handle that role as the de facto PG, do we have the talent at back up PG? If we don’t get a PG back in trade, the majority of backup minutes and spot starts will go to MacLaughlin. Do you think he’s ready for that? This does give Ant more time to run the offense, which I think is an investment we’d want to make for the future.

edit: I could see us signing Tyus Jones in free agency too, as the PG of the future. Does that work?

What are your thoughts? Do we need a PG coming back in any DLo trade?

Our rotation in playoff at PG position was DLo (32mpg)-PatBev(32mpg)-JMac(16mpg). So technically if we want to be in playoff we need to replace DLo 32 minutes, considering the fact that Beverley with high probability will be dealing with injuries, I believe that if we trade DLo we MUST find starting level point guard. Unless Towns, MCD and Edwards step up as playmakers we need a solid playmaker. And honestly considering our current roster construction I don't see us playing with one PG, we have too many players in rotation who are not good enough with the ball. Guys such Vando, Beasley are not impactful facilitators. However, we saw immediately with Greg Monroe how skilled passer at С position immediately impacted the game. There is a big room for improvement for our role players here.

To sum up: we need players who can make smart decision with the ball, who can share this responsibility. Whether it will be Towns, DLo, Edwards or other players it does not really matter. But I believe that was the biggest problem for us in playoffs, when Dlo disappeared and no one took this task seriously. For instance, how many times in playoffs Towns or Edwards targeted mismatch and consciously asked for switch, screen etc? We saw DAL actively hunting CP3, it was almost automatically.

Read on Twitter

We need this level of execution, basketball awareness. It is required from lead ballhandler, thats why I am hesitating to give this role to Ant, he is not ready for this role, not yet.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#744 » by IceManBK1 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:49 pm

Reid+okogie+beasley(Knicks absorb his contract and we free up space to sign mo mamba:) for Alec burks+Noel

Dlo
Beverly
Edwards
Towns
Bamba
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#745 » by Domejandro » Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:Reid+okogie+beasley(Knicks absorb his contract and we free up space to sign mo mamba:) for Alec burks+Noel

Dlo
Beverly
Edwards
Towns
Bamba

Minnesota literally takes on salary, in this trade. It doesn’t open any space for Mo Bamba.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#746 » by IceManBK1 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:38 pm

Domejandro wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Reid+okogie+beasley(Knicks absorb his contract and we free up space to sign mo mamba:) for Alec burks+Noel

Dlo
Beverly
Edwards
Towns
Bamba

Minnesota literally takes on salary, in this trade. It doesn’t open any space for Mo Bamba.

I think Knicks has cap space to take on beasleys contract. Where we get nth but maybe 2nd rder back in the trade.
shrink
RealGM

Post#747 » by shrink » Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Okogie will have expired.

I’d rather send them DLo
shrink
RealGM

Post#748 » by shrink » Fri May 20, 2022 6:21 pm

Tell me about Mo Bamba, if ORL doesn’t choose to part with Isaac?
minimus
RealGM

Post#749 » by minimus » Fri May 20, 2022 6:55 pm

shrink wrote:Tell me about Mo Bamba, if ORL doesn’t choose to part with Isaac?

Are you willing to give him full MLE? For instance, 40 mil / 4 years? Same question with Jalen Smith. Or would you rather sign someone like Biyombo or Looney for BAE 8 mil / 2 yrs?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#750 » by shangrila » Sat May 21, 2022 4:53 am

minimus wrote:

Are you willing to give him full MLE? For instance, 40 mil / 4 years? Same question with Jalen Smith. Or would you rather sign someone like Biyombo or Looney for BAE 8 mil / 2 yrs?

Looney's going for more than the BAE.
minimus
RealGM

Trade Talk (Part Ten): Trade Deadline Edition 

Post#751 » by minimus » Sat May 21, 2022 6:09 am

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

Looney's going for more than the BAE.

Yeah, after this playoffs he might get much more than BAE. Just read that opponents shoot only 33,7% 3 pt against him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#752 » by Klomp » Sat May 21, 2022 7:34 pm

Let's say Connelly comes here. Could he decide to deal with his former team?

Minnesota out: Russell (31.3), Reid (S/T 4/20)
Denver out: Gordon (19.6), Barton (16.6)

Denver does this for cap reasons. Let's face it, they will probably pay the tax in 2022-23. Now they probably need to make moves to ensure they avoid the repeater tax. Reid would probably like a starting gig somewhere, but a system like Denver might be the ideal spot for Reid's skill set.

I know not everyone here is a fan of Gordon, but he does fit the athletic/switching profile we ask of our PFs. And it fits the idea of splitting up Russell's $31 million and taking future money in a Russell deal. Barton's $16 million would be much easier to flip at the deadline.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#753 » by minimus » Sun May 22, 2022 9:09 am

Any interest in Micic? Euroleague MVP, very smart PG. OKC have rights to sign him now.
minimus
RealGM

Post#754 » by minimus » Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 am

Fultz looks good here, Towns as well

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM

Post#755 » by shrink » Sun May 22, 2022 2:23 pm

I could put this anywhere, but here’s NYG’s Wolves Off-Season from the Trade Board. Thoughts?

Minnesota Timberwolves

Trades:

Timberwolves get 33rd Overall Draft Pick for 40th Overall Draft Pick and 48th Overall Draft Pick
Timberwolves get 2023 Conditional Phoenix Suns Second Round Draft Pick (Top 40 Protected / Extinguishes if not conveyed) for 50th Overall Draft Pick

Timberwolves get Malachi Flynn for Naz Reid

Timberwolves get John Collins and Nerlens Noel for D'Angelo Russell and 2023 Conditional Minnesota Timberwolves First Round Draft Pick (Protected Picks 1-4 and 15-30 from 2023 to 2028 / Unprotected in 2029) (note: multi-team trade)

Draft:

Timberwolves draft Nikola Jovic 19th Overall

Timberwolves draft Ismael Kamagate 33rd Overall

Free Agency:

Timberwolves re-sign Josh Okogie to 2 year, $13.5 Million

Timberwolves re-sign Taurean Prince to 2 year, non-tax MLE

Opening Night Roster:

Karl-Anthony Towns
Nerlens Noel
John Collins
Jarred Vanderbilt
Taurean Prince
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
Nikola Jovic
Josh Okogie
Malik Beasley
Leandro Bolmaro
Jaylen Nowell
Patrick Beverley
Jordan McLaughlin
Malachi Flynn
shrink
RealGM

Post#756 » by shrink » Sun May 22, 2022 2:38 pm

For me …?

Minnesota Timberwolves

Trades:

Timberwolves get 33rd Overall Draft Pick for 40th Overall Draft Pick and 48th Overall Draft Pick. Fine - helps roster crunch
Timberwolves get 2023 Conditional Phoenix Suns Second Round Draft Pick (Top 40 Protected / Extinguishes if not conveyed) for 50th Overall Draft Pick. Fine - helps roster crunch

Timberwolves get Malachi Flynn for Naz Reid. I don’t mind trading Naz for a PG with DLo out, and PatBev aging, but I would hope we could get someone better than JMac for Naz .. a true rotation PG

Timberwolves get John Collins and Nerlens Noel for D'Angelo Russell and 2023 Conditional Minnesota Timberwolves First Round Draft Pick (Protected Picks 1-4 and 15-30 from 2023 to 2028 / Unprotected in 2029) (note: multi-team trade). I’d like to see the whole trade, but I’m good with this. I don’t mind moving DLo, and I think Collins, while expensive, can help KAT on both ends. It pushes Vando to the bench, where he fits well, and makes McDaniels a 3 and Ant a 2, which makes us dangerously long. I think the price is fair, but I would prefer to use our current assets #19, however many 2nds, Naz, to get it done - picks with these protections hurt Stepian flexibility

Draft:

Timberwolves draft Nikola Jovic 19th Overall. Fine - but I’m no draft expert

Timberwolves draft Ismael Kamagate 33rd Overall. Ditto

Free Agency:

Timberwolves re-sign Josh Okogie to 2 year, $13.5 Million. I like the idea of adding payroll over the cap, but this seems like a lot for Okogie, who wasn’t in the rotation at the end of the year.

Timberwolves re-sign Taurean Prince to 2 year, non-tax MLE. Again, I don’t mind adding payroll, and Prince helps maintain our continuity. I am used to disliking a second year, but if we are adding Collins’ salary, maybe that’s ok, but I would definitely lobby for team options on Year 2 for both these deals to make them better trade pieces. I also like that going for these two maintains our full MLE, if a player gets cut midseason. I’d like to know whether Naz and Nowell get extensions.

Overall, a wonderful job.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#757 » by moss_is_1 » Sun May 22, 2022 2:51 pm

shrink wrote:I could put this anywhere, but here’s NYG’s Wolves Off-Season from the Trade Board. Thoughts?

Minnesota Timberwolves

Trades:

Timberwolves get 33rd Overall Draft Pick for 40th Overall Draft Pick and 48th Overall Draft Pick
Timberwolves get 2023 Conditional Phoenix Suns Second Round Draft Pick (Top 40 Protected / Extinguishes if not conveyed) for 50th Overall Draft Pick

Timberwolves get Malachi Flynn for Naz Reid

Timberwolves get John Collins and Nerlens Noel for D'Angelo Russell and 2023 Conditional Minnesota Timberwolves First Round Draft Pick (Protected Picks 1-4 and 15-30 from 2023 to 2028 / Unprotected in 2029) (note: multi-team trade)

Draft:

Timberwolves draft Nikola Jovic 19th Overall

Timberwolves draft Ismael Kamagate 33rd Overall

Free Agency:

Timberwolves re-sign Josh Okogie to 2 year, $13.5 Million

Timberwolves re-sign Taurean Prince to 2 year, non-tax MLE

Opening Night Roster:

Karl-Anthony Towns
Nerlens Noel
John Collins
Jarred Vanderbilt
Taurean Prince
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
Nikola Jovic
Josh Okogie
Malik Beasley
Leandro Bolmaro
Jaylen Nowell
Patrick Beverley
Jordan McLaughlin
Malachi Flynn

I basically agree with your assessment. I think Naz is worth a bit more than Flynn.

Don't love Collins, but seems like we'd be getting a pretty nice value there so would like the deal.

Jovic is fine, not sure who would be available. 2nd rounder I know nothing about. Would hope there'd be someone better if we're moving up to 33.

Little pricey on Okogie, don't think he would command that much. Prince is alright, he might not get the full mle, or he might even take a discount with how much he enjoyed the team.

Would say great work, very solid B to B+ if we had that happen.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#758 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 23, 2022 5:07 am

Russell + 1st for Collins and Noel is interesting. I'd definitely want better protections on the pick, would hope we could get a pick from the Knicks in that 3-way to send to ATL for Collins instead.

Like the Jovic pick.
Need one more big man on the roster, Noel is injury prone and if Towns goes down need someone more offense minded.
Nix the FLynn/Naz trade.
Nix the 2nd round trade up and use 40 and 48, hopefully getting a PG at one of those spots.
Like pushing pick 50 into 2023.

Absolute no on the Okogie deal, vet min at best for him but I'd probably let him walk. I'd offer the 2/13 to Prince, no way full MLE.
Sign vet backup PG for BAE or vet minimum.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#759 » by shangrila » Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am

My thoughts
shrink wrote:I could put this anywhere, but here’s NYG’s Wolves Off-Season from the Trade Board. Thoughts?

Minnesota Timberwolves

Trades:

Timberwolves get 33rd Overall Draft Pick for 40th Overall Draft Pick and 48th Overall Draft Pick - That's fine
Timberwolves get 2023 Conditional Phoenix Suns Second Round Draft Pick (Top 40 Protected / Extinguishes if not conveyed) for 50th Overall Draft Pick - That's also fine, though I'm not sure how realistic it is. '23 is supposedly a significantly better draft than this one.

Timberwolves get Malachi Flynn for Naz Reid - Hate this. Flynn, to this point in his career, has sucked hard. Naz is worth FAR more than this.

Timberwolves get John Collins and Nerlens Noel for D'Angelo Russell and 2023 Conditional Minnesota Timberwolves First Round Draft Pick (Protected Picks 1-4 and 15-30 from 2023 to 2028 / Unprotected in 2029) (note: multi-team trade) - This is fine from our end, though that pick protection is weird and I don't get the point of it.

Draft:

Timberwolves draft Nikola Jovic 19th Overall - Hate it. Jovic is going to be a turnstyle defensively. Not interested in drafting guys like that in the 1st.

Timberwolves draft Ismael Kamagate 33rd Overall - I like this, although most of the Cs in this range are fairly interchangeable so any of them would do.

Free Agency:

Timberwolves re-sign Josh Okogie to 2 year, $13.5 Million - Why? What has he done to deserve a contract even remotely close to this?

Timberwolves re-sign Taurean Prince to 2 year, non-tax MLE - Fine

Opening Night Roster:

Karl-Anthony Towns
Nerlens Noel
John Collins
Jarred Vanderbilt
Taurean Prince
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
Nikola Jovic
Josh Okogie
Malik Beasley
Leandro Bolmaro
Jaylen Nowell
Patrick Beverley
Jordan McLaughlin
Malachi Flynn

Still too freaking thin, unless this offseason includes the building of an in-house McDonalds.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#760 » by Slim Tubby » Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 am

Assuming the Nets would like to get off the Simmons contract and could use Russell’s $30M Expiring to add another Max player next to Durant and Irving:

Nets in: Russell
Wolves in: Simmons

Could Connelly’s hiring be the catalyst for a Joker trade?

Nuggets in: Towns, #19 & 2024 Unprotected FRP
Wolves in: Jokic

C Jokic/Reid
PF Vanderbilt/Prince
SF McDaniels/Okogie/Bolmaro
SG Edwards/Beasley/Nowell
PG Simmons/Beverly/McGlaughlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves