ImageImageImage

Assessing the buyout market

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Re: Assessing the buyout market 

Post#61 » by Folklore » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:59 pm

So the Cavs just picked up Moses Brown? wth are the Wolves doing? I'm never going to understand the allure of Knight. The only plus about him is that he can dunk. Has anyone ever watched him play against starter quality centers? We're going to regret not going after Moses.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#62 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Folklore wrote:So the Cavs just picked up Moses Brown? wth are the Wolves doing? I'm never going to understand the allure of Knight. The only plus about him is that he can dunk. Has anyone ever watched him play against starter quality centers? We're going to regret not going after Moses.

Maybe you've forgotten, but we've got this guy named Karl-Anthony Towns to go against the starter-quality centers....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#63 » by Domejandro » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 pm

Folklore wrote:So the Cavs just picked up Moses Brown? wth are the Wolves doing? I'm never going to understand the allure of Knight. The only plus about him is that he can dunk. Has anyone ever watched him play against starter quality centers? We're going to regret not going after Moses.

For what it is worth, I watched a solid chunk of Moses Brown. He has some tools that are interesting, but he currently is not an NBA-caliber player, from an on-court production standpoint.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,415

Post#64 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:35 pm

Any news on our 15 man? I know Jon K had a tweet we were looking after MCD went down.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#65 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:41 pm

winforlose wrote:Any news on our 15 man? I know Jon K had a tweet we were looking after MCD went down.

I haven't heard anything. Could really use another big body to throw in the mix when KAT gets in foul trouble or the Aytons or Powells of the world are putting up career highs.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#66 » by younggunsmn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:51 am

Don't know if this was posted here yet, but according to Wolfson there are some unlikely to be earned incentives in Prince's contract that would push us over the tax if the conditions were met and we added another player.

Very unlikely to hit them, but enough to scare Gupta into not adding another player, even for a prorated 6 games, because it would cost him his job if he went over the tax.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#67 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:54 am

younggunsmn wrote:Don't know if this was posted here yet, but according to Wolfson there are some unlikely to be earned incentives in Prince's contract that would push us over the tax if the conditions were met and we added another player.

Very unlikely to hit them, but enough to scare Gupta into not adding another player, even for a prorated 6 games, because it would cost him his job if he went over the tax.

Not sure who is left at this point. Monroe just went to Utah and Moses Brown signed elsewhere recently. I don’t know if WCS or EKF are still around, but short of that I could see us converting Knight for the postseason. Penny wise and pound foolish. Saving money at the cost of actual depth and winning.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#68 » by younggunsmn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:03 am

Frontcourt is thin now, if KAT misses any time we will basically be forfeiting.
Mistake was made in the offseason not creating enough room by stretching Layman or making a small trade.
I don't know what postseason tax ramifications will look like, but I can't seeing us make a deep run without adding a Monroe-caliber big.
Knight is not the answer.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/current_free_agents

Probably not 100% up to date:

WCS, Enes Freedom, Aron Baynes, Tacko Fall, Erson Ilyasova, Cody Zeller

Players with MN connections - Spellman, Tolliver, Oturu, Patton, Vonleh
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#70 » by minimus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:10 am

Biff Cooper wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/current_free_agents

Probably not 100% up to date:

WCS, Enes Freedom, Aron Baynes, Tacko Fall, Erson Ilyasova, Cody Zeller

Players with MN connections - Spellman, Tolliver, Oturu, Patton, Vonleh

Vonleh played some good defense when he was here. He was physical and mobile enough. I can see him playing in our high wall scheme. Although he is not shooter he thinks to be.

His highlights for NYK

winforlose
General Manager

Post#71 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 4:22 am

Am I alone in thinking Gupta should be fired for not signing a 15th by now. Does anyone really want to see Nathan Knight get converted and play postseason minutes? He isn’t even good enough to play regular season minutes.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#72 » by shangrila » Sat Apr 2, 2022 4:37 am

winforlose wrote:Am I alone in thinking Gupta should be fired for not signing a 15th by now. Does anyone really want to see Nathan Knight get converted and play postseason minutes? He isn’t even good enough to play regular season minutes.

Yes, fire him for not signing some scrub that's unlikely to get minutes anyway.

Hell, call the cops and get him charged. With what, I have no idea. But the man passed up on Moses Brown! That has to be criminal.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#73 » by minimus » Sat Apr 2, 2022 5:41 am

winforlose wrote:Am I alone in thinking Gupta should be fired for not signing a 15th by now. Does anyone really want to see Nathan Knight get converted and play postseason minutes? He isn’t even good enough to play regular season minutes.

You are alone
old school 34
Senior

Post#74 » by old school 34 » Sat Apr 2, 2022 6:22 am

The only guy that I would even consider over just converting Knight is Moose....& he'll be available like April 6th? While maybe, you could argue another big may be more talented....there's real value in that Knight knows all their stuff & been practicing with all the guys all season.

And while you can say fire him for no 15th waiver type big...maybe, but guaranteed fire if he was to prematurely sign him & TP's bonuses miraculously kick in & they go into the lux?

The other comeback could be give a 2nd or two at the deadline to have OKC absorb Layman & then this is moot & you can sign that guy....but I'd counter that would be a poor return on those 2nd(s) for something that most likely doesn't gain you any real W's...my hope is Gupta can find greater value for us on those 2's?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
winforlose
General Manager

Post#75 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 9:26 am

shangrila wrote:

Yes, fire him for not signing some scrub that's unlikely to get minutes anyway.

Hell, call the cops and get him charged. With what, I have no idea. But the man passed up on Moses Brown! That has to be criminal.

Or, we can look at what has been actually happening and have a real conversation. Between the multiple times this season where Naz has come up hurt (including recently,) and then numerous times he has been in serious foul trouble (including tonight,) the lack of a third big has been a liability. You say Greg Monroe isn’t worth anything, but another body they could have thrown on Jokic would have been worth more minutes for KAT and a few less for V8.

In the playoffs we need depth. Utah grabbed Monroe for depth and other teams have been making similar moves. Knight might know our schemes, but he often doesn’t play even when he probably should. When Naz came up limp a few games ago and had to come out, Knight played like 6 minutes and KAT played the rest. If Finch doesn’t want to use Knight in the regular season, why would he want to use him in the post season? You can mock the suggestion all you want, but by waiting as long as we have we limited our options and failed to catch a new guy up to speed in a reasonable amount of time.
ZelkosGhost
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#76 » by ZelkosGhost » Sat Apr 2, 2022 1:20 pm

I don't know if Greg Monroe or any other available 15th man would have played more than 6 minutes in that situation.
I do hope the need for size is addressed this off season if not before.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#77 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 1:35 pm

ZelkosGhost wrote:I don't know if Greg Monroe or any other available 15th man would have played more than 6 minutes in that situation.
I do hope the need for size is addressed this off season if not before.

We switched V8 onto Jokic after KAT got 2 fouls. Instead we could have pulled V8, moved KAT to PF and played Monroe. Monroe is a decent enough passer and body inside that hopefully he makes up for what you lose in V8 while also putting a big body on Jokic. Not a 100% fix, but a nice option not available when you only have 2 Cs and both are prone to foul trouble.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#78 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:12 pm

You’re Tom Hanks in “Castaway”. It’s lonely on your island, Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
winforlose
General Manager

Post#79 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:21 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:

You’re Tom Hanks in “Castaway”. It’s lonely on your island, Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson is the volleyball. You honestly wouldn’t have played Monroe after Towns and Naz got in foul trouble? You honestly don’t worry Naz might sprain an ankle in the playoffs and we have to give his minutes to V8 or Knight? I think we are speaking the same language, but if your words had smells I think something might stink.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#80 » by Domejandro » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:47 pm

Minnesota literally could not sign a player because of the risk of going over the Luxury-Tax due to potential bonuses.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves