Assessing the buyout market

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Re: Assessing the buyout market 

Post#81 » by Folklore » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:55 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
winforlose wrote:Am I alone in thinking Gupta should be fired for not signing a 15th by now. Does anyone really want to see Nathan Knight get converted and play postseason minutes? He isn’t even good enough to play regular season minutes.

You’re Tom Hanks in “Castaway”. It’s lonely on your island, Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone doesn't have to have the same opinion as you. At some point the teams issues should and could have been addressed.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#82 » by shangrila » Sat Apr 2, 2022 6:54 pm

winforlose wrote:
shangrila wrote:
winforlose wrote:Am I alone in thinking Gupta should be fired for not signing a 15th by now. Does anyone really want to see Nathan Knight get converted and play postseason minutes? He isn’t even good enough to play regular season minutes.

Yes, fire him for not signing some scrub that's unlikely to get minutes anyway.

Hell, call the cops and get him charged. With what, I have no idea. But the man passed up on Moses Brown! That has to be criminal.

Or, we can look at what has been actually happening and have a real conversation.

A real conversation? Is that why you opened with that stupid, overly dramatic question about whether we should fire our GM?
Between the multiple times this season where Naz has come up hurt (including recently,) and then numerous times he has been in serious foul trouble (including tonight,) the lack of a third big has been a liability. You say Greg Monroe isn’t worth anything, but another body they could have thrown on Jokic would have been worth more minutes for KAT and a few less for V8.

Firstly, KAT's foul trouble is by and large mental. He does it to himself through sheer stupidity. So unless the guy you want to sign has a psychology degree (and the patience of the Buddha) there's not going to be much of a change there.

Secondly, I don't want less minutes for Vando. I don't want Monroe playing over Vando, if that's the option.

Thirdly, our scheme doesn't allow us to plug in whoever and continue to have success. If they can't move their feet on the perimeter they're borderline useless. Maybe WCS could be effective, but who knows what's going on with him?

In the playoffs we need depth. Utah grabbed Monroe for depth and other teams have been making similar moves. Knight might know our schemes, but he often doesn’t play even when he probably should. When Naz came up limp a few games ago and had to come out, Knight played like 6 minutes and KAT played the rest. If Finch doesn’t want to use Knight in the regular season, why would he want to use him in the post season? You can mock the suggestion all you want, but by waiting as long as we have we limited our options and failed to catch a new guy up to speed in a reasonable amount of time.

You need depth for the regular season, not the playoffs. Rotations get shortened, starters get more minutes...this isn't anything new. Whoever we could have signed probably would have played sporadically at best during the regular season and not at all in the playoffs.

Should they have signed someone? Probably. Assuming there's no luxury concerns I don't see why not. But to act like it's a fire-able offence, or even that whoever we signed would have made much if any impact, is asinine.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#83 » by minimus » Sat Apr 2, 2022 8:15 pm

“Sign playoff rotation player for minimum deal” is the same type of idea “Vando is SF”.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,415

Post#84 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 9:23 pm

minimus wrote:“Sign playoff rotation player for minimum deal” is the same type of idea “Vando is SF”.

If I misquote you I can make you sound stupid too. I said we need depth at the C in case Naz is injured or GOD forbid KAT gets injured. The rules don’t allow two way players to play in the playoffs this year. So unless we convert Knight or sign someone else we only have two Cs. I never said this big should be a rotation player in the playoffs. As for using them as a rotation player in the regular season, when KAT and Naz are both in foul trouble, that is usually when you plug in your 3rd string.

As for V8 at SF, you just saw us get go 3-4 in the big 7 because V8 is too small to guard rolling Cs in our system. We are forced to bring a second defender which opens up the corner and puts in the spin cycle trying to run out. V8 should be playing SF in our system as his preferred defensive assignment is guards or wings who he bothers with his length. How many times must V8 at PF in high wall fail miserably before you admit you are just wrong.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#85 » by Neeva » Sat Apr 2, 2022 10:20 pm

Moses Brown has been a bum for Cleveland lol
minimus
RealGM

Post#86 » by minimus » Sat Apr 2, 2022 10:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:“Sign playoff rotation player for minimum deal” is the same type of idea “Vando is SF”.

If I misquote you I can make you sound stupid too. I said we need depth at the C in case Naz is injured or GOD forbid KAT gets injured. The rules don’t allow two way players to play in the playoffs this year. So unless we convert Knight or sign someone else we only have two Cs. I never said this big should be a rotation player in the playoffs. As for using them as a rotation player in the regular season, when KAT and Naz are both in foul trouble, that is usually when you plug in your 3rd string.

As for V8 at SF, you just saw us get go 3-4 in the big 7 because V8 is too small to guard rolling Cs in our system. We are forced to bring a second defender which opens up the corner and puts in the spin cycle trying to run out. V8 should be playing SF in our system as his preferred defensive assignment is guards or wings who he bothers with his length. How many times must V8 at PF in high wall fail miserably before you admit you are just wrong.

1) you think that we should fire Gupta for not signing 15th player. It is obvious that any bigman we sign at this point of this season should be able to play effectively in our defensive scheme. It is obvious because otherwise he wont be able to play in playoffs

2) MCD is hurt right now. He and Vando are big reason why we have been playing high wall. Your idea of Vando as SF does not have anything to do with reality and fans on this board and Reddit explained it many times. Vando is a C in current NBA, but Towns presence allows him to be effective as PF. Could you name another non shooter PF in NBA? Zion Williams?

P.S. Also it seems like Gupta and Finch do not share your brilliant ideas.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#87 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 2, 2022 11:51 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1) you think that we should fire Gupta for not signing 15th player. It is obvious that any bigman we sign at this point of this season should be able to play effectively in our defensive scheme. It is obvious because otherwise he wont be able to play in playoffs

2) MCD is hurt right now. He and Vando are big reason why we have been playing high wall. Your idea of Vando as SF does not have anything to do with reality and fans on this board and Reddit explained it many times. Vando is a C in current NBA, but Towns presence allows him to be effective as PF. Could you name another non shooter PF in NBA? Zion Williams?

1) I disagree. Monroe proved we can play modified drop in a pinch. You don’t need a 3rd string with the same game as your first string.

2) V8 plays C on offense but SF or PF on defense. V8 is best used defending teams wings not their bigs. You saw it last night when V8 couldn’t guard Joker one on one. I don’t know what you don’t get. Do you think V8 can guard Ayton, or Gobert, or even Jaron Jackson Jr? V8 is not capable of guarding NBA centers. This wouldn’t be an issue if the high wall didn’t take KAT outside so often. Please explain why we give up so many open 3s if this isn’t true?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#88 » by shrink » Sun Apr 3, 2022 12:54 am

I enjoyed Monroe’s surprising game vs BOS, but there is a reason he’s on his fourth team this season. He is a really bad defender.

He has size, which we definitely need, but we need that size to be from a defender. I think Monroe gets overhyped.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#89 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 3, 2022 1:03 am

shrink wrote:I enjoyed Monroe’s surprising game vs BOS, but there is a reason he’s on his fourth team this season. He is a really bad defender.

He has size, which we definitely need, but we need that size to be from a defender. I think Monroe gets overhyped.

Fair, but having a legit C to guard opposing bigs when Naz is out, or when KAT is in foul trouble, or when we simply need to match up when they go big (Clevland, Washington, Phoenix to name a few,) is important.
shrink
RealGM

Post#90 » by shrink » Sun Apr 3, 2022 2:06 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I enjoyed Monroe’s surprising game vs BOS, but there is a reason he’s on his fourth team this season. He is a really bad defender.

Fair, but having a legit C to guard opposing bigs when Naz is out, or when KAT is in foul trouble, or when we simply need to match up when they go big (Clevland, Washington, Phoenix to name a few,) is important.

Completely agree. It’s our biggest flaw in team construction, and if we face PHX, Ayton will remove any slim hopes we might have.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#91 » by old school 34 » Sun Apr 3, 2022 5:28 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Completely agree. It’s our biggest flaw in team construction, and if we face PHX, Ayton will remove any slim hopes we might have.
Yeah, I think to Shrink's point...it's been a roster flaw all season that to Finch & the player's credit they've done an amazing job to minimize.

WFL...I know you want size now still & Monroe is the go to which makes some sense....but is it possible that when the Wolves had him in prior....they determined that while he gave them a spark during the Covid spike....he still ultimately was going to be no better than their current undersized options & that the likelihood of his Philly postseason failures were going to be the same with us?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#92 » by shangrila » Sun Apr 3, 2022 8:01 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

But what's the plan?

In order to get this new guy in you've got to cut minutes somewhere. Towns will already be getting more, since it's the playoffs. So are you cutting down on his minutes? We shouldn't.

Do we cut Reid's minutes? Maybe, but then we're likely losing the spacing he provides. I don't think any of the current FAs are decent 3pt shooters.

Do we try to play them next to Towns? That's a disaster waiting to happen. Forcing Towns to guard on the perimeter full time will be easy to scheme against.

I think we just need to accept that this is the team, there's no miracle fix coming and any improvements will have to be made in the offseason.
minimus
RealGM

Post#93 » by minimus » Sun Apr 3, 2022 8:06 am

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1) I disagree. Monroe proved we can play modified drop in a pinch. You don’t need a 3rd string with the same game as your first string.

2) V8 plays C on offense but SF or PF on defense. V8 is best used defending teams wings not their bigs. You saw it last night when V8 couldn’t guard Joker one on one. I don’t know what you don’t get. Do you think V8 can guard Ayton, or Gobert, or even Jaron Jackson Jr? V8 is not capable of guarding NBA centers. This wouldn’t be an issue if the high wall didn’t take KAT outside so often. Please explain why we give up so many open 3s if this isn’t true?

1) I disagree that we should fire Gupta. I disagree that Monroe can contribute in playoffs. Monroe on the floor means an open shot on perimeter after switch for every opponent. He is that slow.

2) we rank 12th in defense. Quite an improvement for a team with 28th defrtg last season. It means "something" Rosas/Gupta/Finch have been doing right. Your idea of Vando at SF, or/and Towns at PF etc is not realistic. It is not NBA 2K, you have limited resources (salary cap, trade assets) to improve this team, you have certain players to implement certain defensive and offensive scheme. At this point I am more than happy to have Vando and MCD for less than half of price of average starting PF in NBA.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#94 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 3, 2022 11:42 am

shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

But what's the plan?

In order to get this new guy in you've got to cut minutes somewhere. Towns will already be getting more, since it's the playoffs. So are you cutting down on his minutes? We shouldn't.

Do we cut Reid's minutes? Maybe, but then we're likely losing the spacing he provides. I don't think any of the current FAs are decent 3pt shooters.

Do we try to play them next to Towns? That's a disaster waiting to happen. Forcing Towns to guard on the perimeter full time will be easy to scheme against.

I think we just need to accept that this is the team, there's no miracle fix coming and any improvements will have to be made in the offseason.

The reason you grab them earlier is so they can practice with the squad and when Naz got hurt for a few games they could have had some time there. Overall, I not suggesting they must be a rotation big, just some depth for when bad things happen. When KAT picks up a second foul Finch wants to either have him guard the PF or come out. The problem is V8 has to guard the C and he is not big enough. Having someone who is big enough allows KAT to switch and stay in the game. I don’t think adding another big means that big plays 10-20 minutes per game every game. I think it means when both KAT and Naz are in foul trouble or when one gets hurt we have someone who can come in and bridge the minutes. Depth matters.

My point about Gupta was that he waited to long to get a 15th so it will be almost impossible to integrate them into our schemes. Now your almost stuck with Knight and that is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

@Minimus, our defense improved for several reasons. The first and most important being the guys decided to try on defense. Finch and Bev convinced them to focus on defense and It worked. The other big change was the high wall. I don’t dislike the high wall nor do I disagree with the results, except that it requires a big PF. The opposing C should and often does roll when KAT switches onto a guard at or above the 3 point line. When that happens one or two players need to pick up the opposing C. If it is a small ball PF like V8 then he cannot contain the big and we need the second defender. High wall has a flaw that is being exploited every game. I am not saying scrap the concept, I am saying fix the flaw by getting a better player to plug in. This will obviously have to wait till next season.
shrink
RealGM

Post#95 » by shrink » Sun Apr 3, 2022 2:28 pm

winforlose wrote:
shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:Completely agree. It’s our biggest flaw in team construction, and if we face PHX, Ayton will remove any slim hopes we might have.

But what's the plan?

The reason you grab them earlier is so they can practice with the squad and when Naz got hurt for a few games they could have had some time there. Overall, I not suggesting they must be a rotation big, just some depth for when bad things happen. When KAT picks up a second foul Finch wants to either have him guard the PF or come out.

That’s what I think too. We aren’t getting a rotation player in the buyout market, especially this late in the season. This would be a guy that doesn’t get on the court in most games, but gives Finch an option if they desperately need to make life hard on an opposing (very)big to give Towns 5-8 minutes of rest.

Your question is good, but it’s for the off-season, if we have the chance to add a much higher level of big.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#96 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Apr 3, 2022 3:31 pm

Folklore wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

You’re Tom Hanks in “Castaway”. It’s lonely on your island, Wilson.

Everyone doesn't have to have the same opinion as you. At some point the teams issues should and could have been addressed.

A fireable offense for not signing a scrub for the end of our bench???? Grow a brain and then get back to me. What a ridiculous take.

Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves