Game 58 : Timberwolves vs Hornets, 7:00 pm CST

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,714

Re: Game 58 : Timberwolves vs Hornets, 7:00 pm CST 

Post#81 » by thinktank » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:10 pm

shrink wrote:
karch34 wrote:How many times have we said we lose that game in the past this year? We have a long ways to go but feel like that might be the culture change that sets things on a new trajectory.

I agree with everyone who has said that things may be changing.

I had the opportunity to watch last night’s game, from the fourth quarter to the end, with a couple friends who like sports, but don’t really follow the Wolves. After years of watching this team lose in the fourth quarter, often with even very little fight, they were amazed by the game. They kept asking me questions about the team, and they became thoroughly engrossed by the end of the game.

I think there are tons of these potential fans in the area. With so many sports options vying for our attention (all four major pro sports plus all of the Gopher sports), I think most of the city only gets excited about the Wolves when they win. Back in the successful Garnett era, the arena and the city would be hopping when the Wolves took the floor. I think those potential fans are still out there, and if this team can reach them, the Timberwolves will become cool again.

It feels like we’re on the right road, heading for that day.

That’s exactly how it is with our drummer. “Look at us talking about sports,” he said last night.
"a poor addition to the board"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Re: Game 58 : Timberwolves vs Hornets, 7:00 pm CST 

Post#82 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:31 pm

shrink wrote:
karch34 wrote:How many times have we said we lose that game in the past this year? We have a long ways to go but feel like that might be the culture change that sets things on a new trajectory.

I agree with everyone who has said that things may be changing.

I had the opportunity to watch last night’s game, from the fourth quarter to the end, with a couple friends who like sports, but don’t really follow the Wolves. After years of watching this team lose in the fourth quarter, often with even very little fight, they were amazed by the game. They kept asking me questions about the team, and they became thoroughly engrossed by the end of the game.

I think there are tons of these potential fans in the area. With so many sports options vying for our attention (all four major pro sports plus all of the Gopher sports), I think most of the city only gets excited about the Wolves when they win. Back in the successful Garnett era, the arena and the city would be hopping when the Wolves took the floor. I think those potential fans are still out there, and if this team can reach them, the Timberwolves will become cool again.

It feels like we’re on the right road, heading for that day.

Got to agree with this. I took a friend to a pre-season game, he is not an NBA guy, just not his sport. We had great seats and he LOVED it! He didn't know who anyone was outside of knowing a little bit about Towns, he was in love with Patrick Beverley and his energy. Like mesmerized lol. He had no idea who Pat Bev was before that game.

Minnesota fans will support a team that is good, it may take a while but we are incredibly hungry for it. The Lynx have pretty much been the only team worth a damn for years and it's a pretty niche market. That said I have gone to a few big Lynx games the atmosphere is phenomenal. The fans are passionate.

Wolves can get that for sure, they just have to be good and maintain it. We can and will be as loud as any arena if the team keep producing and I too believe we are on the path where we can in the coming years. This season is a first step, there will be more bumps and setbacks the next season too but this is the path to progress.

Years past it just felt like we were trying things that never worked and starting over, this feels like something we can build on.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves