Keep Beasley and replace McLaughlin
10%

Total votes: 20

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,964

Re: Poll: Should Nowell return to the rotation 

Post#41 » by Nick K » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:04 pm

First off, I'm a Nowell lover. Loved him since draft night. The Wolves love his future here too.

The argument is simple....Beasley is a veteran making 15 mil per. Nowell makes 2.5 or so. They are not going to start Nowell unless Beasley is so bad or injured. Nowell can afford to sit and learn. He'll get his shot. Maybe they move Beas this summer? They know what they have in Nowell.

Plus the teammates like Beasley and have confidence in him. Nowell will get his shot in due time.

That said, I'd still like to see them give Nowell more run right now. Nowell has had a leg, ankle issue for about a month. Maybe that is part of it too.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#42 » by old school 34 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 4:53 am

Going back & forth on this topic & how the last few weeks has played out after Allstar break has--at least, for me brought some clarity on a few points overall rotation wise:

1) Beasley as that designated 3 pt shooter has real value & I believed in it even before....but it's only magnified that point.

2) Nowell's role (kind of 11th man)...while I'm sure he'd like to have a bigger role & potentially he leverages that when making his next contract decision (which we still have some significant control over as well)...but that 11th man isn't nothing either....as the roster is currently constructed...it still means that player is in the normal 10 man rotation basically with best case scenario health.. like 60 of the 82 game schedule? Again, sure he'd like to move up that pecking list...but to have an ascending player there...that's what you want...& if the opportunity arises, he gets to take advantage...but now because the team's winning if it doesn't happen by the time our control ends...he at least gets looked at around the league in better light & gets opportunity elsewhere? Better to be in his spot vs an Okogie or Layman?

3) Can ditto alot of that same thought process above for Jaden's spot as the 6th man. He almost gets forgot about as a significant bench piece because essentially he ends up being the utility starter so often & as long as Pat Bev &/or DLo are around....there's just always going to be enough significant games that's going to add a unique value on this team in say that pecking order 6 & 11 spots?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#43 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 9, 2022 5:06 am

old school 34 wrote:Going back & forth on this topic & how the last few weeks has played out after Allstar break has--at least, for me brought some clarity on a few points overall rotation wise:

1) Beasley as that designated 3 pt shooter has real value & I believed in it even before....but it's only magnified that point.

2) Nowell's role (kind of 11th man)...while I'm sure he'd like to have a bigger role & potentially he leverages that when making his next contract decision (which we still have some significant control over as well)...but that 11th man isn't nothing either....as the roster is currently constructed...it still means that player is in the normal 10 man rotation basically with best case scenario health.. like 60 of the 82 game schedule? Again, sure he'd like to move up that pecking list...but to have an ascending player there...that's what you want...& if the opportunity arises, he gets to take advantage...but now because the team's winning if it doesn't happen by the time our control ends...he at least gets looked at around the league in better light & gets opportunity elsewhere? Better to be in his spot vs an Okogie or Layman?

3) Can ditto alot of that same thought process above for Jaden's spot as the 6th man. He almost gets forgot about as a significant bench piece because essentially he ends up being the utility starter so often & as long as Pat Bev &/or DLo are around....there's just always going to be enough significant games that's going to add a unique value on this team in say that pecking order 6 & 11 spots?

I want to start by saying Malik has really impressed and surprised me since I made this thread. I honestly didn’t think he had this awesome stretch in him, and I am glad to be wrong thus far. That said, Nowell came in and saved the first Portland game. Dane Moore talked about Nowell needing a consistent role to maintain his flow and to a degree I agree. But, Nowell has also shown solid individual defense and excellent passing every time he gets time. He does this without that consistent role and flow. Nowell is too good to be the 11th man, and that leaves us with a pickle. JMAC doesn’t score much but his steals, assists, steady hand and passing skills make him a high value utility player. Beasley hitting 3s spaces the floor and adds quick strike scoring that can turn things around. MCD is a legit 6th man and needs serious minutes to develop into the player we all know he can be. Prince has been playing much better defense and his offense is starting to turn into what we expected when we traded for him. Naz is the only backup C on the roster and is therefore untouchable. It really is becoming a Sophie’s choice for Finch both in this stretch and in the playoff rotation. Finally, if Nowell is going to be a part of the playoff rotation he needs the minutes now to find his role and rhythm on offense and especially within the defensive framework. It honestly doesn’t look as cut and dry after the last 1.5 weeks of Beasley.
old school 34
Senior

Post#44 » by old school 34 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:56 am

winforlose wrote:
old school 34 wrote:Going back & forth on this topic & how the last few weeks has played out after Allstar break has--at least, for me brought some clarity on a few points overall rotation wise:

I want to start by saying Malik has really impressed and surprised me since I made this thread. I honestly didn’t think he had this awesome stretch in him, and I am glad to be wrong thus far. That said, Nowell came in and saved the first Portland game. Dane Moore talked about Nowell needing a consistent role to maintain his flow and to a degree I agree. But, Nowell has also shown solid individual defense and excellent passing every time he gets time. He does this without that consistent role and flow. Nowell is too good to be the 11th man, and that leaves us with a pickle. JMAC doesn’t score much but his steals, assists, steady hand and passing skills make him a high value utility player. Beasley hitting 3s spaces the floor and adds quick strike scoring that can turn things around. MCD is a legit 6th man and needs serious minutes to develop into the player we all know he can be. Prince has been playing much better defense and his offense is starting to turn into what we expected when we traded for him. Naz is the only backup C on the roster and is therefore untouchable. It really is becoming a Sophie’s choice for Finch both in this stretch and in the playoff rotation. Finally, if Nowell is going to be a part of the playoff rotation he needs the minutes now to find his role and rhythm on offense and especially within the defensive framework. It honestly doesn’t look as cut and dry after the last 1.5 weeks of Beasley.
100% agreed....I don't put any of that out there in trying to imply Nowell doesn't still deserve more. He has done everything from his side. It's imo, quite remarkable, that Finch has seemingly handled this roster & bench as well as he has....& players definitely deserve some of that credit as well. But for as young as they are & manage their egos & personal goals as well as its gone...really something special. And I do think there's a real understanding that by buying in & just being ready....that will set you up for truer long term success (ie--future contracts &/or roles) by being on a winning team vs say having a bigger role & more stats on a losing squad (Dane Moore kind went down this a little bit on a recent interview with Skor North)...

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,562

Post#45 » by shrink » Wed Mar 9, 2022 2:21 pm

Ok, remember our first open spot if the ninth man.

Starter numbers are great. KAT, DLo, Ant, Vando, PatBev are 1-5 .. Nowell’s not bumping them.

#6-7 are McDaniels and Beasley. Both have been inserted in the starting line up when one of the top 5 are out. We keep hearing that McDaniels is a key future piece, and Beasley’s shooting is critical to a team who’s strategy is to lead the NBA in 3PA.

#8 is Naz. He is really the only back up we have versus any legitimate center, and clearly Nowell isn’t taking his minutes.

So now we look at the rest, between JMac, Prince, and Nowell. All have played well, particularly lately, and do especially well when they need to step in when a corresponding player in the top 8 misses a game. I think all get some minutes, but as we prep for the playoffs and tighter rotations, I think #9 is going to be the versatile vet Prince. You may still see Finch insert hockey lines of four of the five bench players as well, since their chemistry has been so good.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,562

Post#46 » by shrink » Wed Mar 9, 2022 2:41 pm

Btw, Nowell is only averaging 14.6 mpg, but here are his Per36 numbers. Damn!

FG 47.8%, 3P% 38.5%, RB 6.1, AST 6.7, STL 1.6, PTS 25.4, NetRtg +8
old school 34
Senior

Post#47 » by old school 34 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:32 pm

shrink wrote:Ok, remember our first open spot if the ninth man.

Starter numbers are great. KAT, DLo, Ant, Vando, PatBev are 1-5 .. Nowell’s not bumping them.

#6-7 are McDaniels and Beasley. Both have been inserted in the starting line up when one of the top 5 are out. We keep hearing that McDaniels is a key future piece, and Beasley’s shooting is critical to a team who’s strategy is to lead the NBA in 3PA.

#8 is Naz. He is really the only back up we have versus any legitimate center, and clearly Nowell isn’t taking his minutes.

So now we look at the rest, between JMac, Prince, and Nowell. All have played well, particularly lately, and do especially well when they need to step in when a corresponding player in the top 8 misses a game. I think all get some minutes, but as we prep for the playoffs and tighter rotations, I think #9 is going to be the versatile vet Prince. You may still see Finch insert hockey lines of four of the five bench players as well, since their chemistry has been so good.
I agree, I think you lay this out really well & realistically. The real person that ultimately knocked Nowell out of the 10-man rotation imo was actually JMac....how well he's playing right now & how well he's seemingly making others around him better is what's getting him the nod over Nowell. And if he can keep this up, he kind of potentially holds up big JMac from moving into the SL (assuming the move there is moving PB back to the bench unit--which really gets messy with Lil JMac playing like he is)?

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,821

Post#48 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 9, 2022 7:20 pm

I think the main reason why Nowell went out of rotation for a while was due to his defense and not following & executing defensive rotations well
winforlose
General Manager

Post#49 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 9, 2022 7:54 pm

life_saver wrote:I think the main reason why Nowell went out of rotation for a while was due to his defense and not following & executing defensive rotations well

Perhaps, but that is also a function of having less playtime than basically any rotation player. Starting 4-9 was largely because of offensive shortcomings and the turn around was because of the defense. But, in the first few weeks of the season teams usually struggle to execute their game plans. It is after they play together, develop chemistry, and figure out how to execute their schemes that the true trajectory takes shape. Nowell wasn’t really a part of that. He needs minutes and time to develop it, neither of which will happen as the 11th man off the bench. But, he is too small to play the 4 and MCD is too good at the 3 to move him. So JMAC, Beasley, and Nowell are three people up for 2 spots. Thus the poll. Nowell helps in more ways than Beasley, but Beasley is red hot, and I always advocate for feeding the hot hand. JMAC’s lack of offense makes me nervous, but his utility of late is off the charts. He had 6 steals in one game either 2 or 3 games ago (I don’t remember off hand.) How do you keep one of these three out of the rotation when they are all playing this well?
old school 34
Senior

Post#50 » by old school 34 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:23 am

winforlose wrote:
life_saver wrote:I think the main reason why Nowell went out of rotation for a while was due to his defense and not following & executing defensive rotations well

Perhaps, but that is also a function of having less playtime than basically any rotation player. Starting 4-9 was largely because of offensive shortcomings and the turn around was because of the defense. But, in the first few weeks of the season teams usually struggle to execute their game plans. It is after they play together, develop chemistry, and figure out how to execute their schemes that the true trajectory takes shape. Nowell wasn’t really a part of that. He needs minutes and time to develop it, neither of which will happen as the 11th man off the bench. But, he is too small to play the 4 and MCD is too good at the 3 to move him. So JMAC, Beasley, and Nowell are three people up for 2 spots. Thus the poll. Nowell helps in more ways than Beasley, but Beasley is red hot, and I always advocate for feeding the hot hand. JMAC’s lack of offense makes me nervous, but his utility of late is off the charts. He had 6 steals in one game either 2 or 3 games ago (I don’t remember off hand.) How do you keep one of these three out of the rotation when they are all playing this well?
Which again...thought Finch played this part of the schedule very smart...got some starters rest games while keeping everyone ready & motivated to still take care of business. It probably gets tough for said 11th guy again starting next week after the schedule starts to toughen again some (assuming all stay healthy)?

It will be interesting to see how evals/perceptions change of the bench &/or the entire roster once we get into playoffs as well....it becomes a different thing right...some guys can be good regular season guys but can't play come playoffs...it will be interesting how Finch navigates that?

winforlose
General Manager

Post#51 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:27 am

old school 34 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Which again...thought Finch played this part of the schedule very smart...got some starters rest games while keeping everyone ready & motivated to still take care of business. It probably gets tough for said 11th guy again starting next week after the schedule starts to toughen again some (assuming all stay healthy)?

It will be interesting to see how evals/perceptions change of the bench &/or the entire roster once we get into playoffs as well....it becomes a different thing right...some guys can be good regular season guys but can't play come playoffs...it will be interesting how Finch navigates that?

I agree, but with one caveat, Ant scares me a bit. He just doesn’t move like himself, and I worry he should have missed a few more games. We badly need him as healthy as possible for the playoffs, and I worry using him now might hinder him then.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves