ImageImageImage

Ant’s Knee Tendonopathy - not tendonitis

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,643

Ant’s Knee Tendonopathy - not tendonitis 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:09 pm

This may be unsourced info, but the decision on what to do with Ant is so big, I thought it would merit it’s own thread.

On today’s Dane Moore show, we got this:

I was talking with my friend who is an athletic trainer today. He texted me and said, “make sure you call it tendonpathy, and not tendinitis…. And he said that’s important because tendinitis is this inflammation in the knee, and tendonopathy is collagen degeneration in the knee… It sounds worse, but it isn’t something necessarily that, it’s not like a critical deterioration like Brandon Roy-style, but it takes a long time for that to regenerate, is what he’s saying.

He has what we call “jumper’s knee.” Like 45% of jumping athletes get it at some point. But 50% return pain-free, to their prior level, within 12 months. 30% take six months to return, so it lingers.

Now, keep in mind this is just a friend of Dane’s who hasn’t reviewed Ant personally, and this hasn’t been confirmed by the Timberwolves. But if this is true, do you shut Ant down until next year? He is the franchise, for multiple years in the future. Or with only 20 games left before the playoffs, do you let him play, or play with off days, or what?
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Re: Ant’s Knee Tendonopathy - not tendonitis 

Post#2 » by WolfAddict » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:15 pm

It's probably one of those scenarios where they'll listen to the player on whether or not he can manage the pain.

The team could put some time restrictions on his minutes to mitigate the problem getting worse though. Or, as you say, have some games off (especially back to backs).

It's a hard one, because I'd hate for him to rehab in the off season but not be conditioned enough to start next season.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,716

Post#3 » by thinktank » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:44 pm

All I know about tendonopathy:

-I’ve got it in my left shoulder and it’s a real pain. Mine never goes away.

-Kawhi had it in his leg and it took a whole year to heal.

Praying for a quick recovery for Ant. I think he will. He’s so young.

(Interestingly, this condition is being found more and more and we don’t really know why.)
"a poor addition to the board"
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,408

Post#4 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:55 pm

The one thing Ant has going for him is world class medical care. Ant will probably need to take the summer off and might not be 100% (in terms of skills rather than the injury,) for the start of the next season. But with luck and dedication (to whatever treatment regiment they put him on,) I have hope he would be in the sooner recovery category. Especially with him being only 20 and having no history of knee issues.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#5 » by Domejandro » Fri Mar 4, 2022 2:26 am

We 100% should have benched him when the injury happened, I have been consistently critical about that horrible decision by Coach Finch. Risking aggravating it was unbelievably reckless.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,408

Post#6 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 4, 2022 3:03 am

Domejandro wrote:We 100% should have benched him when the injury happened, I have been consistently critical about that horrible decision by Coach Finch. Risking aggravating it was unbelievably reckless.

I get that position. What I want to know I what the team doctors are saying. It should not be up to Ant. He is a 20 year old who will always say play me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves