ImageImageImage

Game 73 : Timberwolves vs Suns, 7:00 pm CST

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Re: Game 73 : Timberwolves vs Suns, 7:00 pm CST 

Post#41 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:28 am

dlo had his manhood taken away by booker....4 friqqing points in the entire game. doesn't try attacking anyone. can't def..doesn't reb well for a big guard..not even shanghai sharks wanna sign him.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#42 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:30 am

suns trio>our trio by large margin..they play smart, take smart shots..while two of our guys like to force issues, and the other one is timid as fuq..you guys know who they are.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,326

Post#43 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:33 am

Again we lose in large part due to mental deficiencies and lack of discipline. We lose control, we lose focus, we commit fouls, we get emotional. You can't have those lapses against the elite teams.

It what separates them from the good, its a high level of discipline and concentration. We too easily get thrown off our game. Execution is also a factor we need more guys to step up like Russell but a lot of this comes down to being mentally iron clad.

KAT has to be better with his fouls. We can't lose him for big chunks of games, he has to be smarter. He can't go after regs and devote as much energy to that. We probably wont figure that out this season but hopefully we can make big leaps mentally for next.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#44 » by Rookie-Mistake » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:34 am

Ended up being poo poo
Ayton killed us and only had one foul..

Sent from my SM-G991B using RealGM mobile app
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#45 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 am

The bar is EXTREMELY high to consistently beat these caliber of teams. I am really happy we are seeing that, this season is really about the team learning just how much further they need to climb to be on their level, there is still a chasm to cross and they are seeing it in these last two games. This is great for Gupta too to really start to assess some needs.

Those little things are why I don't think we can win a first-round series against most of these teams, maybe Memphis who is also young and maybe not there yet mentally.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 am

this loss was on Finch. Had no idea why Nowell only got 12 minutes of PT. Shouldve played more instead of dlo tonight. He deserved it
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#47 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:40 am

LOL Barriero sounds familiar.

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#48 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:41 am

Credit to Ayton too, he obliterated us. We cannot handle these bigs, pretty large issues for us.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#49 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:47 am

1. Karl keeps getting in foul trouble at the worst times. The whole game changes when he is out and he just won’t grow up and stop the stupid ****. Naz cannot guard Ayton or McGee. If KAT wants to be a superstar and MVP candidate he has to be better at staying in the game. 6 more minutes from him and we likely win.

2. Dlo should be coming off the bench until he can start playing basketball again. He was instrumental in both losses and is not worth max money. Dlo is a great player on a good night and a terrible player on a bad one. 20- 25 is generous and he should take it and smile.

3. Ant cannot be this bad at the rim and expect to be a superstar. He needs to finish through contact, and he needs to learn to use the glass better.

4. V8 is such a mixed bag. His defense is great, but his offense is becoming more and more of a liability. He needs to be moving more and sitting in the dunkers spot less. Off ball screens, back door cuts, rolls, ect…

5. Bev just needs to be better on offense. His shooting was off, his drive was getting no where. Just not playing playoff caliber offense in a playoff caliber game.

6. To anyone who said we were right to not make any moves at the deadline, this game is why you’re wrong. We cannot rebound against real size, we cannot defend the paint against real size, and we struggle to attack the paint because we lack real size. SMALL BALL DOESN’T WORK.

Edit to add: fun fact, V8 is 6’9 214 guarding Ayton at 7’1 260. Good luck.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#50 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:52 am

Tough game for both teams. You guys are ultra talented, very tough (thanks to Bev) and are significantly better than years before. Your issue is one that a lot of young up and coming teams generally deal with and that's having that mental fortitude to stay poised and focused and to execute your offense when one or two possessions don't go your way down the line.

I really don't think you guys are that far away from a top 4 seed next season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#51 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Tough game for both teams. You guys are ultra talented, very tough (thanks to Bev) and are significantly better than years before. Your issue is one that a lot of young up and coming teams generally deal with and that's having that mental fortitude to stay poised and focused and to execute your offense when one or two possessions don't go your way down the line.

I appreciate the kind words, but I think you could tell just how undersized we were. Collapsing on Ayton or McGee created open 3 point opportunities for your shooters. While we can get away with that against bad teams, you guys made us pay, as did Dallas, as will other playoff teams. When we didn’t collapse on your bigs you got too many good looks in the paint, and worse were able to dominate the glass. Add to that the foul trouble for KAT and being forced to use an undersized Naz against your bigs and we basically took ourselves out of the game. Don’t get me wrong, you guys out played us and deserved the win. But, our problems are more concrete than youth and mental toughness. We are simply to small.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#52 » by shrink » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:59 am

If you’re watching the game on tv and have the ability to back it up, check out the bit right before the commercial, where they show the conclusion to the DAL game. Does Luka slap Beverley, right before the commercial?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:05 am

winforlose wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Tough game for both teams. You guys are ultra talented, very tough (thanks to Bev) and are significantly better than years before. Your issue is one that a lot of young up and coming teams generally deal with and that's having that mental fortitude to stay poised and focused and to execute your offense when one or two possessions don't go your way down the line.

I appreciate the kind words, but I think you could tell just how undersized we were. Collapsing on Ayton or McGee created open 3 point opportunities for your shooters. While we can get away with that against bad teams, you guys made us pay, as did Dallas, as will other playoff teams. When we didn’t collapse on your bigs you got too many good looks in the paint, and worse were able to dominate the glass. Add to that the foul trouble for KAT and being forced to use an undersized Naz against your bigs and we basically took ourselves out of the game. Don’t get me wrong, you guys out played us and deserved the win. But, our problems are more concrete than youth and mental toughness. We are simply to small.

Can't argue with you there. The talent drop off after KAT had to sit with foul trouble is pretty evident.

We also had the same issue last season with size/talent after Ayton (we had Saric, Frank, Craig) but the positive thing is that it's entirely addressable in the offseason. We have pretty damn good depth in the front court now but that's just by signing McGee to a $5m deal and signed Bizzy as a free agent. The size problem is much easier to address than a talent problem, which you don't have fortunately
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#54 » by ATTL » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:45 am

Note30 wrote:I thought Book Dlo and KAT were friends, did something happen? Probably CP3

I dont follow this **** but apparently karl is dating bookers ex. Their women are feuding or something. Idk if it's just for tv but they were all bffs in years past.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#55 » by King Malta » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:08 am

I just interpreted it as the Suns getting a bit yappy with a team that has been doing the same thing this season, didn't see it as anything personal but perhaps I'm wrong.

I love the way this Wolves side goes about it but we'll see a few teams get mouthy back when the shoes on the other foot, and fair enough too.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#56 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:26 am

ATTL wrote:
Note30 wrote:I thought Book Dlo and KAT were friends, did something happen? Probably CP3

I dont follow this **** but apparently karl is dating bookers ex. Their women are feuding or something. Idk if it's just for tv but they were all bffs in years past.

Oh fun.

Welp there goes our chance of getting the triumvirate
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#57 » by karch34 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:01 am

winforlose wrote:1. Karl keeps getting in foul trouble at the worst times. The whole game changes when he is out and he just won’t grow up and stop the stupid ****. Naz cannot guard Ayton or McGee. If KAT wants to be a superstar and MVP candidate he has to be better at staying in the game. 6 more minutes from him and we likely win.

2. Dlo should be coming off the bench until he can start playing basketball again. He was instrumental in both losses and is not worth max money. Dlo is a great player on a good night and a terrible player on a bad one. 20- 25 is generous and he should take it and smile.

3. Ant cannot be this bad at the rim and expect to be a superstar. He needs to finish through contact, and he needs to learn to use the glass better.

4. V8 is such a mixed bag. His defense is great, but his offense is becoming more and more of a liability. He needs to be moving more and sitting in the dunkers spot less. Off ball screens, back door cuts, rolls, ect…

5. Bev just needs to be better on offense. His shooting was off, his drive was getting no where. Just not playing playoff caliber offense in a playoff caliber game.

6. To anyone who said we were right to not make any moves at the deadline, this game is why you’re wrong. We cannot rebound against real size, we cannot defend the paint against real size, and we struggle to attack the paint because we lack real size. SMALL BALL DOESN’T WORK.

Edit to add: fun fact, V8 is 6’9 214 guarding Ayton at 7’1 260. Good luck.

Agree with all of this. Phoenix isn’t some behemoth as far as size, but killed us inside. Lack of fortitude and toughness when the crap shots weren’t falling killed us.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#58 » by Dewey » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:26 am

Well these two games are no surprise and provide glaring evidence… it’s just where we are.

1. We lack that consistent floor leadership
2. We lack size/defense
3. We are not playoff caliber

Teams take it up a notch as they gear towards the playoffs … we can be competitive but we simply don’t have that leadership or that second gear.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#59 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:37 am

How is this team not playoff caliber?? LOL they just need dlo to play like he worth his max and Mcdaniels back.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#60 » by shangrila » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:39 am

Calinks wrote:Credit to Ayton too, he obliterated us. We cannot handle these bigs, pretty large issues for us.

It's the massive drawback to Towns.

He lost what little bulk he had (I get it's not entirely his fault, but still) so he can't deal with bulky bigs. He's not quick enough to defend the perimeter full or even part time, so pushing him to PF doesn't work. And he doesn't have the IQ to play drop coverage, so unless we want to run 2 different defensive systems we can't bring in any bulky Cs to play with Towns (since they'd suck in our blitz scheme).

It's a giant catch 22 that I'm not sure how we fix. Short of a PF that can handle bulky bigs and also defend on the perimeter? I feel like that's a unicorn though.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves