ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Dave Benz will not return as Timberwolves Play-by-Play Announcer

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,967

Re: [Krawczynski] Dave Benz will not return as Timberwolves Play-by-Play Announcer 

Post#41 » by Nick K » Sun May 8, 2022 1:39 pm

I don't think this was a money saving thing in any way. I liked Dave but I do think we can do better.

I just feel terrible for the guy. It's so devastating for that to happen. He's a talented guy so he'll bounce back I'm sure.

I hope they keep Jim Pete.

Good luck Dave!
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: [Krawczynski] Dave Benz will not return as Timberwolves Play-by-Play Announcer 

Post#42 » by moss_is_1 » Sun May 8, 2022 3:00 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I considered Benz more of a likable guy than great announcer. I’m sad to see him go but I’m kind of surprised to the degree people here are upset, because I do see room for an upgrade.

I do as well. Him and Jim seemed to have a nice chemistry and Benz grew to be pretty good. I think there is room for improvement for sure, but there's also the question of why mess up a good thing?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#43 » by Klomp » Sun May 8, 2022 11:45 pm

One thought I had is that ARod has a bunch of ESPN contacts now...could easily see someone from that world be hired.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#44 » by younggunsmn » Mon May 16, 2022 5:16 am

Benz did not get on my nerves. He had a good voice and was a decent play-by-play guy, which is the harder (and IMHO more important) job than the analyst.
Hopefully he catches on again somewhere else.

I like what the Twins did the last few years rotating a few different analysts in, some were better than others, but I enjoyed the different perspectives.
You can't really do that with the play-by-play person though, they are kind of the low-key heart of the broadcast.
It's kind of like umpiring/refereeing, if they are doing their job well, you really don't notice them.
I hope they know what they are doing and end up with someone I can listen to without getting annoyed, if it's some kind of identity politics play I'll be disappointed.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#45 » by urinesane » Mon May 16, 2022 8:13 pm

I feel bad for the guy as he seems like a good dude... but let's be fair. He screwed up pretty regularly on obvious stuff (though it's forgivable since they don't always have as good of a view). The reason I'm not too sad is that he is a massive cornball with terrible catch phrases.

Those Ant facts are so freakin' lame and don't add to the action, if anything they distract from it. Did anyone like ANY of his catch phrases from over the years? They were some of the most cringey, eye roll inducing lines I've ever heard in a sports broadcast.

I've always preferred someone like Alan Horton to be the guy, but they probably would have done that by now if they were going to.

Thanks for your work Benz, but people are watching now, so they can't hide his cornballness anymore.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,675

Post#46 » by shrink » Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 pm

I was fine with Dave, but does anyone really care how many times the score was tied?

This seemed like a top priority to him.

(I still miss Kevin Harlan. That guy really added to the game! Dave to me, is just “fine.”)
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#47 » by Clav » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:37 am

I'm kind of shocked by this. Benz and Petersen are some the best commentary around the NBA right now, and I watch lots of other teams, Minny's cast was insightful and always full of great in-game banter with compliments to both teams.

On a professional opinion - Bally (owned by Sinclair, a media giant) is not a corporation to trust and I would look at them first. Who comes in as the replacement, it all points to internal changing the direction of ex-"Fox Sports North" in the most legally safe ways possible.

Benz Petersen was solid, I felt like Miami (Reid/Crotty) and Minny had some of the finest casting in the league up there with the YES network if Eagle/Kustok/Ruocco are on or MSG with Breen and Frazier. Definitely was the best listen in the Western conference as an impartial... I couldn't definitively say another team would be above them. Dallas (Followill/Harper) Very pro-Mavs, but it's sharp. LAL (Macdonald/Stu Lantz)? Still major homer slant, but with all their stars they have carte blanche, they do a solid cast as well.

tl;dr - this is a shady move
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:55 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#49 » by Baseline81 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:59 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Will he spout ant facts?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,436

Post#50 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:18 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Will he spout ant facts?

Ant facts or we RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,967

Post#51 » by Nick K » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:28 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope not. He was here years ago for a short time. I'd pass.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

[Krawczynski] Dave Benz will not return as Timberwolves Play-by-Play Announcer 

Post#52 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:30 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hahah woahhh.

Love me some Gus. And I doubt we’ll get March madness gus. He called some playoff games this last season and was fine.

Gus is cool in my book. No Harlan but he’s cool

But those of us know shooter charley walters isn’t exactly the most plugged but he was right about the Favre arrival.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,374

Post#53 » by Calinks » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:40 am

Gus was here years ago and I think he's awesome, not sure why we didn't keep him. That said, I liked Benz.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#54 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:43 am

Wish we could just keep Benz, i'm not even sure what happened...yeah he messes up on names and is kinda corny, but him and Jim Pete had a cool dynamic that was interesting to listen to while the game was on
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager

Post#55 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:46 am

theGreatRC wrote:Wish we could just keep Benz, i'm not even sure what happened...yeah he messes up on names and is kinda corny, but him and Jim Pete had a cool dynamic that was interesting to listen to while the game was on

Back when it first happened their was a petition to get him rehired. I wonder how many signatures it got.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,978

Post#56 » by Domejandro » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:19 am

winforlose wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Wish we could just keep Benz, i'm not even sure what happened...yeah he messes up on names and is kinda corny, but him and Jim Pete had a cool dynamic that was interesting to listen to while the game was on

Back when it first happened their was a petition to get him rehired. I wonder how many signatures it got.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#57 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:40 am

Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Thank you :). I wish it got more :(
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#58 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:41 am

It would gotten one more, if I knew there was a petition.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:57 pm

In the history of online petitions, has one ever actually worked?

winforlose
General Manager

Post#60 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Klomp wrote:In the history of online petitions, has one ever actually worked?

Yes, saving Community and Chuck are two examples. That said, it is kinda like winning the lottery.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves