ImageImageImage

Krawczynski: Tim Connelly as POBO (Official! page 6)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Re: Krawczynski: Tim Connelly as POBO (Official! page 6) 

Post#201 » by Folklore » Tue Nov 8, 2022 6:07 pm

winforlose wrote:
Folklore wrote:How is this SOB not being called out? I like the fact the fact that some of you can see the bright side of the season, but this is ridiculous. This team is finished, I will always see and as another streaky low IQ shooter and Towns is what he is. but I don't believe that Naz or Noell (not that I really care) will be here next season. Towns in NBA 2K makes for a great PF because I could draft or trade for McGee and he'd anchor my DEF. But in real life Rudy is older and slower. And Towns should only be compared to faster PF who can also shoot. I realized this when we Towns played against Cam Johnson. But this team isn't fun to watch because it's another step back with that ridiculous* trade.

Respectfully I disagree. I think the real problem isn’t the two bigs at all. In fact, our highest net rating is when both towers play together. The real problem is our back court. One screen defeats all our guards. Basketball is a game of breaking the defensive scheme and using that breakdown to find the open shooter. KAT, MCD, and Rudy are trying to cover, but the imbalance is made worse by guys not taking the initiative and switching to the open shooters.

Another serious issue worth mentioning is the lack of box out. When I was a kid the coach’s taught us to find a man and put a body on him when the shot goes up. Tonight and repeatedly over the past two years we don’t do it. Finch talks about it all the time. He says we need to be more physical. To box out with physicality. He is 100% right. Those rebounds often occur when our defense is broken *d+own and result in open shots, often 3s or layups.

Our passing is being affected by a lack of off ball movement. Guys stand around and then Ant or Dlo or KAT dribble into traffic, look for somewhere to pass the ball, but everyone is stationary. This leads to congested passing lanes and long distance passes which result in turnovers and points the other way.

I could go on. Rudy didn’t make Ant suck tonight. I know because Rudy didn’t play. Rudy didn’t make Dlo’s defense suck tonight, or JMAC bad at shooting, passing, and defense. The trade is fine, it is everything else that isn’t.

You have some good points as for the problems on the team right now. But if we didn't make the horrible trade, we'd have a better team and not put our hopes in trying to find a fool who would give us picks and great players on cheap contracts.

JMc/Pat/DLo
Ant/Beasley/DLo
Mcdaniels/ prince
Markkanen/Naz
Towns/Van/Kessler

Then attach two more picks and a swap to DLo for Kyrie.

Finch is getting all the blame because Con gets credit for drafting after we picked Kriss ahead of him and Nikola developing as if he personally trained him? Con doesn't seem to realize that the players had a bond, in the short clip of Ant throwing the football Van was actually there with him. The unhappiness i's really showing with Ant and Jim Pete noticed it too and it's probably the same with the rest of the guys. So why would they put in 100% for each other when they know or hope that they won't be on the team next season?

If the players liked Towns, they wouldn't be bold enough to complain about him to each other, if Prince landed on someone else's foot, it would have been fixed with a "that's my fault" then he would have let it to. But Towns is unliked and it showed, I don't think that unless we get a a superstar somehow this team cannot be turned around.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,408

Post#202 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 8, 2022 6:34 pm

Folklore wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Folklore wrote:How is this SOB not being called out? I like the fact the fact that some of you can see the bright side of the season, but this is ridiculous. This team is finished, I will always see and as another streaky low IQ shooter and Towns is what he is. but I don't believe that Naz or Noell (not that I really care) will be here next season. Towns in NBA 2K makes for a great PF because I could draft or trade for McGee and he'd anchor my DEF. But in real life Rudy is older and slower. And Towns should only be compared to faster PF who can also shoot. I realized this when we Towns played against Cam Johnson. But this team isn't fun to watch because it's another step back with that ridiculous* trade.

Respectfully I disagree. I think the real problem isn’t the two bigs at all. In fact, our highest net rating is when both towers play together. The real problem is our back court. One screen defeats all our guards. Basketball is a game of breaking the defensive scheme and using that breakdown to find the open shooter. KAT, MCD, and Rudy are trying to cover, but the imbalance is made worse by guys not taking the initiative and switching to the open shooters.

Another serious issue worth mentioning is the lack of box out. When I was a kid the coach’s taught us to find a man and put a body on him when the shot goes up. Tonight and repeatedly over the past two years we don’t do it. Finch talks about it all the time. He says we need to be more physical. To box out with physicality. He is 100% right. Those rebounds often occur when our defense is broken *d+own and result in open shots, often 3s or layups.

Our passing is being affected by a lack of off ball movement. Guys stand around and then Ant or Dlo or KAT dribble into traffic, look for somewhere to pass the ball, but everyone is stationary. This leads to congested passing lanes and long distance passes which result in turnovers and points the other way.

I could go on. Rudy didn’t make Ant suck tonight. I know because Rudy didn’t play. Rudy didn’t make Dlo’s defense suck tonight, or JMAC bad at shooting, passing, and defense. The trade is fine, it is everything else that isn’t.

You have some good points as for the problems on the team right now. But my point is that if we didn't make the trade, we'd have a better team. We could have snatched Markkanen for Noel and picks since we just tossed them away.

Attach two more picks and a swap to DLo for a starting PG

McL/Pat/DLo
Ant/Beasley/DLo
Mcdaniels/ prince
Markkanen/Naz
Towns/Van/Kessler

Then attach two more picks and a swap to DLo for a starting PG

MCL or JMAC is a third string PG playing second string. 2 of 18 from 3 is beyond trash. He isn’t even being guarded on anymore. When he comes out it is 4 on 5. Bring in a PG with similar pace and good passing and you can upgrade backup PG fairly easily. I see Anderson playing it more and more honestly.

Rudy is a difference maker inside, and I refuse to believe we cannot figure out how to use him. I have always said we overpaid. I never liked the specifics of the trade, but did it really make worse long term? Is Nowell better than Beasley? He plays better defense lately. He can score from 3 levels. He is more efficient and more consistent. Beasley was more in the way then the solution. Anderson vs V8 is a tough one. Anderson spaces the floor better. He passes better. He isn’t the same hustle type player, but he is a good defender and a decent rebounder. If I had both I would probably use them both situationally. But overall, V8 made spacing impossible for KAT and Ant often. Rudy has more rim gravity, which is why we get so many open 3s. We just need to hit them. Rudy vs Bev, is a good discussion. Bev is aging and playing badly this year. Rudy is also underperforming expectations. Bev is a POA stopper which we badly need. Rudy is paint stopper which will be HUGE for us. I think it is a wash in the short term and a big upgrade in the long term.

Last season we started 4 and 9 before figuring things out. This season we are 5 and 6. We missed Anderson for 5 (really 6 games,) and we missed Rudy for 2. This group is still very much figuring things out. It is too early to say we could be better, because we don’t know where we end up. Just like the Jazz despite a 9-3 start are unlikely to make the top 6, if the top 8. Teams will get there stuff figured out and climb up the ladder. Overall, I do think we are more talented than last year, and we have a higher ceiling. Give us half a season to climb it. I mean honestly, do you care if we are the 6 seed? It would be nice to be higher, but if we make the WCF or better, how we got there is all but forgotten.
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#203 » by Folklore » Tue Nov 8, 2022 9:46 pm

winforlose wrote:

MCL or JMAC is a third string PG playing second string. 2 of 18 from 3 is beyond trash. He isn’t even being guarded on anymore. When he comes out it is 4 on 5. Bring in a PG with similar pace and good passing and you can upgrade backup PG fairly easily. I see Anderson playing it more and more honestly.

Rudy is a difference maker inside, and I refuse to believe we cannot figure out how to use him. I have always said we overpaid. I never liked the specifics of the trade, but did it really make worse long term? Is Nowell better than Beasley? He plays better defense lately. He can score from 3 levels. He is more efficient and more consistent. Beasley was more in the way then the solution. Anderson vs V8 is a tough one. Anderson spaces the floor better. He passes better. He isn’t the same hustle type player, but he is a good defender and a decent rebounder. If I had both I would probably use them both situationally. But overall, V8 made spacing impossible for KAT and Ant often. Rudy has more rim gravity, which is why we get so many open 3s. We just need to hit them. Rudy vs Bev, is a good discussion. Bev is aging and playing badly this year. Rudy is also underperforming expectations. Bev is a POA stopper which we badly need. Rudy is paint stopper which will be HUGE for us. I think it is a wash in the short term and a big upgrade in the long term.

Last season we started 4 and 9 before figuring things out. This season we are 5 and 6. We missed Anderson for 5 (really 6 games,) and we missed Rudy for 2. This group is still very much figuring things out. It is too early to say we could be better, because we don’t know where we end up. Just like the Jazz despite a 9-3 start are unlikely to make the top 6, if the top 8. Teams will get there stuff figured out and climb up the ladder. Overall, I do think we are more talented than last year, and we have a higher ceiling. Give us half a season to climb it. I mean honestly, do you care if we are the 6 seed? It would be nice to be higher, but if we make the WCF or better, how we got there is all but forgotten.

With Anderson I'd take Van ahead of him all day, I'm not sure if people have gone back and looked at our games but Van and Pat did a lot for this team, Van scored by hustling for the ball and creating turnovers that the team fed off of. I don't think that Anderson would be put on the other team's best scorer. And even with Anderson I'd compare him against Mark.

With Pat and Rudy in the long run for me it's Rudy. For the reason you gave (Rim gravity) Ant has a problem playing with him. This is Rudy and Mitchell all over again. Ant was being honest when he said that he wasn't scared of Rudy in the paint.as far as contracts, for Pat he would have been a mentor to not only the young guys, but to Towns also. And as we all saw that is worth a max deal, there's a reason the heat are paying to Haslem. Rudy on the other hand will also get slower and stuff the lane but guess what? so will Towns. Then soon we'd wonder why we're paying for a guy so limited when there's others out there that can do a little less but cost much less.

Your last point. I don't understand that angle. The warriors are bringing in new guys so i expect them to not perform like they should. But you think that the Jazz are overachieving, and the Wolves are better than what they've shown? Why is that? they have a new team they didn't just add a couple new faces. having a chip on your shoulder and having guys that play hard all game and IQ are keys to winning. we no longer have those guys. Yes, Nowell is a 3 level scorer but he's looking for a new team. Beasly fired up the players and was a catch and shoot type, so he brought fear when he got hot.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#204 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:15 pm

Wonder how TC is feeling now about potentially giving up a lottery pick(++) in a very decent draft for Gobert ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#205 » by shrink » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:25 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Wonder how TC is feeling now about potentially giving up a lottery pick(++) in a very decent draft for Gobert ??

Don’t troll
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#206 » by shangrila » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:30 am

skywalker33 wrote:Wonder how TC is feeling now about potentially giving up a lottery pick(++) in a very decent draft for Gobert ??

People in glass houses mate.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#207 » by Note30 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:31 am

Can't believe this guy got equity stake in the Wolves. The Gobert trade will go down as our worst trade in history.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#208 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:26 am

Note30 wrote:Can't believe this guy got equity stake in the Wolves. The Gobert trade will go down as our worst trade in history.

Still far too early to say that
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#209 » by shrink » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:44 am

Note30 wrote:Can't believe this guy got equity stake in the Wolves.

I know that this was leaked early on, but I’m not sure he got equity. None of this will reach us, since these types of contracts aren't subject to CBA limitations or reporting. Nobody has been able to confirm the equity thing, and the closest anyone has come is that any reporter has got is to get Glen Taylor to say that Connelly gets paid more if the Wolves do well, like he pays any key employee in his other businesses.

Also, it wouldn’t require an equity share to radically overpay the Nuggets offer. Moreover, Connelly knew he could be signing that DEN contract for less than market, because he included a clause in it that allowed him to go elsewhere immediately if he chose. And that clause was why MIN didn’t have to give up an asset to poach him from DEN, like LAC did when they poached Doc Rivers.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#210 » by Nick K » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:50 am

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:Can't believe this guy got equity stake in the Wolves. The Gobert trade will go down as our worst trade in history.

It's really crazy how people get after a slow start blaming everybody under the sun for the problems.

The best way for this team to improve is to make some shots and quit turning the ball over. it's not overly complicated. Why don't we start there.

Connelly and Finch can't do anything about that.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#211 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:07 am

Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:

It's really crazy how people get after a slow start blaming everybody under the sun for the problems.

The best way for this team to improve is to make some shots and quit turning the ball over. it's not overly complicated. Why don't we start there.

We need POA defense. Rivers was the wrong signing. Same with Knight to main roster. Beyond that I agree. Too early to tell.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#212 » by Note30 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Klomp wrote:

Not really. It's clear Gobert wasn't what this team needed. He's doing fine. He's not the problem. The problem is we have no more equity to buy the most important position in this league. A carrying playmaker in the form of either a PG or SG.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Not really. It's clear Gobert wasn't what this team needed. He's doing fine. He's not the problem. The problem is we have no more equity to buy the most important position in this league. A PG.

Exactly why you cannot say this is the worst trade in franchise history.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#214 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Not really. It's clear Gobert wasn't what this team needed. He's doing fine. He's not the problem. The problem is we have no more equity to buy the most important position in this league. A PG.

But it is AND by a wide margin.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#215 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:

But it is AND by a wide margin.

How can anyone make a definitive statement like this 10 games in?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:49 pm

shangrila wrote:How can anyone make a definitive statement like this 10 games in?

Especially when someone once traded Sam Cassell AND a 1st for Marko freakin' Jaric...

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#217 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:59 pm

Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:How can anyone make a definitive statement like this 10 games in?

Especially when someone once traded Sam Cassell AND a 1st for Marko freakin' Jaric...

I can make it because I am confident that we won't break even on our commitment of assets and will experience a prolonged stretch with no way out but to rebuild in a deficit or be marginal at best. This trade will make the Jaric trade look like pure genius. It is not like I wanted this to be the case, but Rudy was not a good target and what we gave up was utter nonsense. You can hope all you want, wish all you want, apologize all you want because if there is one thing you won't get is accountability and if that self-sooths not for me to question why.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#218 » by Nick K » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:07 am

winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:

We need POA defense. Rivers was the wrong signing. Same with Knight to main roster. Beyond that I agree. Too early to tell.

I agree with the poa defense. i thought Rivers could give us that. No?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#219 » by winforlose » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:12 am

Nick K wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Rivers cannot. Moreover, even if he could, he cannot give us much else. He isn’t a PG, nor is a he a dynamic shooting guard. Gotta have a PB type guard who can do more. I said in the offseason we have great SG 1 and 2, we need a solid PG 2. JMAC is a GREAT PG3 and a terrible (almost unplayable PG2.) for proof he is shooting 15 of 40, 2 of 19 from deep, and has only been to the free throw line 6 times (to his credit, he made all 6.) If he cannot score he cannot play with non shooters like Gobert and Rivers. Gotta make some kind of move.

Also, Dlo has very much underperformed as PG1. To the point he should become PG2 and you start Anderson out of desperation, until you find someone better either via trade or buy out. Dlo is giving 50% of what you would expect in a year where he should be performing at 150% of his usual to get his new deal.
shrink
RealGM

Post#220 » by shrink » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:21 am

[youtube][/youtube]
Nick K wrote:
winforlose wrote:We need POA defense. Rivers was the wrong signing. Same with Knight to main roster. Beyond that I agree. Too early to tell.

Rivers was not brought in to be the point of attack defender. That skillset would cost you more than a one year, partially guaranteed, vet min deal.

Rivers was brought in to be an unselfish, professional, voice in the locker room, particularly to help Ant. The Wolves specifically put his locker right next to Edwards’, knowing Beverley was gone. So far though, Ant hasn’t been particularly professional, so if you want to blame Rivers for a failing (other than a threat to Nowell’s minutes like JMac), then blame him for that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves