Re: Trade Talk (Part Eleven): 2022 Offseason Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Re: Re: Trade Talk (Part Eleven): 2022 Offseason Edition 

Post#1881 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 8, 2023 10:23 pm

I wonder if there'd be any way to poach Cam Thomas from Brooklyn this offseason...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
JHW83
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1882 » by JHW83 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 10:49 pm

Klomp wrote:I wonder if there'd be any way to poach Cam Thomas from Brooklyn this offseason...

Who would it take?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#1883 » by Neeva » Wed Mar 8, 2023 10:57 pm

Klomp wrote:I wonder if there'd be any way to poach Cam Thomas from Brooklyn this offseason...

It had to be done before the trade deadline and all it would have taken was Naz and wolves probably get a second or two out of it as well. The kat injury has **** so many things up this season and we might lose Naz for nothing now.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,138

Post#1884 » by GopherIt! » Thu Mar 9, 2023 4:37 am

now that Quin Snyder is in Hotlanta and that team is a hot mess, swap Quin’s boy Rudy for D Murray & Bogdan. Rudy might actually pair nicely w Trae.

Murray is versatile and can play off either Mike or Ant. Plus Mike is 35. Bogdan is an excellent outside sniper which this team needs. Put Kat back at the five. Play w 4 switchable guys who can D up and either Kat or Naz @ C. Or possibly sub Naz for a cheap rim protector. They have way too much of the cap invested in big men ($90M+ next szn). Put some of that coin into the guards or wings.

Conley /Murray /Naw /JMac
Ant /Murray /Moore
Jaden/ Bogdan /Minott
SloMo / TP / Knight
Kat / Naz /Luka
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#1885 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Mar 9, 2023 3:13 pm

GopherIt! wrote:now that Quin Snyder is in Hotlanta and that team is a hot mess, swap Quin’s boy Rudy for D Murray & Bogdan. Rudy might actually pair nicely w Trae.

Murray is versatile and can play off either Mike or Ant. Plus Mike is 35. Bogdan is an excellent outside sniper which this team needs. Put Kat back at the five. Play w 4 switchable guys who can D up and either Kat or Naz @ C. Or possibly sub Naz for a cheap rim protector. They have way too much of the cap invested in big men ($90M+ next szn). Put some of that coin into the guards or wings.

Ant /Murray /Moore
Jaden/ Bogdan /Minott
SloMo / TP / Knight
Kat / Naz /Luka

Unless the CBA change that let’s you give up to a 50% extension raise to a player is passed trading for Murray is just to risky as he’ll be an expiring. If the Wolves can offer him a competitive extension and he’s down to stay then the trade makes a lot more sense for Minnesota though.

For Atlanta, Trae and Capela have a ton of chemistry and Okongwu has been waiting in the wings for a minute too. A KAT trade makes sense for them because he adds spacing and Okongwu could reasonably play next to him Ala Vando. Gobert just doesn’t make sense there though as he’s just a slight upgrade over what they have and doesn’t fit with OO or Capela.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#1886 » by minimus » Thu Mar 9, 2023 3:48 pm

What happened to James Bouknight? Should we try to get him as 6th man, scorer?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,795

Post#1887 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 9, 2023 4:06 pm

minimus wrote:What happened to James Bouknight? Should we try to get him as 6th man, scorer?

No, he sucks.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,527

Post#1888 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 9, 2023 4:29 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:now that Quin Snyder is in Hotlanta and that team is a hot mess, swap Quin’s boy Rudy for D Murray & Bogdan. Rudy might actually pair nicely w Trae.

Ant /Murray /Moore
Jaden/ Bogdan /Minott
SloMo / TP / Knight
Kat / Naz /Luka

Unless the CBA change that let’s you give up to a 50% extension raise to a player is passed trading for Murray is just to risky as he’ll be an expiring. If the Wolves can offer him a competitive extension and he’s down to stay then the trade makes a lot more sense for Minnesota though.

For Atlanta, Trae and Capela have a ton of chemistry and Okongwu has been waiting in the wings for a minute too. A KAT trade makes sense for them because he adds spacing and Okongwu could reasonably play next to him Ala Vando. Gobert just doesn’t make sense there though as he’s just a slight upgrade over what they have and doesn’t fit with OO or Capela.

Then trade him for Capela and Murray.
Capela plays backup here.
5 out with KAT and KA.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#1889 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Mar 9, 2023 6:08 pm

Note30 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Ant /Murray /Moore
Jaden/ Bogdan /Minott
SloMo / TP / Knight
Kat / Naz /Luka

5 out with KAT and KA.

Why does Atlanta do that though? Is the difference between Capela and Gobert really Murray?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1890 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 9, 2023 7:12 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

5 out with KAT and KA.

Why does Atlanta do that though? Is the difference between Capela and Gobert really Murray?

Probably a question this FO should have asked before going after Gobert.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

GopherIt!
RealGM

Post#1891 » by GopherIt! » Thu Mar 9, 2023 7:50 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

I never mentioned Kat because I am not thinking about trading him. Kat would help any team.

I have been thinking about trade destinations for Rudy. I believe he has tremendous value in the right system.

The more I think about it the more Atlanta makes sense to me. Rudy is Quin’s guy. He knows better than anyone how to use him. They had a measure of playoff success together. He can be elite in the pnr in the right system w the right pg. I could see Trae and he flourishing together under Snyder.

Trae/Capela is not working this year. The Trae/Murray combo seems to not be working either. Okongwu is limited/untested and they see him as more of a pf according to Hawks fans. I don’t believe either of those two are the answer. That was also part of my reasoning to go to Rudy. Trae is a challenging piece to build around. In a sense, he’s the guard version of Kat. Rudy wouldn’t solve all of their problems but he would be a huge help.

Murray is a flight risk but that may help make him attainable. Conley is 35. NAW looks like a very good backup. If Murray wants to start and play for a playoff team he could do worse than sign here.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1892 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 9, 2023 8:17 pm

I think if you're talking about trading Towns vs. trading Gobert, Towns is the type of player who could fit in almost anywhere and so a bidding war could commence. However, Gobert is the type of person who with the right system could provide immense value that a team would be willing to pay up for.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1893 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 9, 2023 10:44 pm

Klomp wrote:I think if you're talking about trading Towns vs. trading Gobert, Towns is the type of player who could fit in almost anywhere and so a bidding war could commence. However, Gobert is the type of person who with the right system could provide immense value that a team would be willing to pay up for.

You mean like us?

lewdog
Rookie
And1: 88

Post#1894 » by lewdog » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:13 am

Klomp wrote:I think if you're talking about trading Towns vs. trading Gobert, Towns is the type of player who could fit in almost anywhere and so a bidding war could commence. However, Gobert is the type of person who with the right system could provide immense value that a team would be willing to pay up for.

What team(s) are you thinking? And keep in mind... that 40 million dollar contract.
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#1895 » by minimus » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:05 am

lewdog wrote:

What team(s) are you thinking? And keep in mind... that 40 million dollar contract.

CHI?
POR?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1896 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:49 pm

lewdog wrote:

I'm assuming you're asking about Gobert? I think Atlanta is one pretty obvious answer, for the reasons outlined already.

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1897 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 am

Klomp wrote:
lewdog wrote:

I'm assuming you're asking about Gobert? I think Atlanta is one pretty obvious answer, for the reasons outlined already.

There is definitely interest in KAT for obvious reasons.

1. Fit with Trae
2. We need a post scorer who can draw double teams who's also a PnR threat and a floor spacer.
3. We have a player who fits him in Okongwu.

It's a great move for us to land KAT for Murray/fillers and would even consider one of the young players in Griffin or JJ in that deal.

That said, no real interest in Gobert. His contract is massive. He would take the salary of Capela/JC and can we justify that. Possibly but not really. It would literally come down to Quin saying, I'll rather Gobert over JC/Capela and I can make it work with OO at the 4 with Gobert.

That said, there is no **** chance in hell we would trade Murray for Gobert. Murray's been really really good for us, many within will say, our best overall player. He's on a cheap contract and ideally, we would like to keep him but if there is a trade that makes sense for us, he would obviously be the one would shop to get that said player. That said, Gobert is not that said player.

I would honestly stick with him. You paid that heavy price tag. Just stick with him. Hell, the Conley trade was just an example of the org sticking to makes Gobert comfortable and it makes sense.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1898 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:18 am

GopherIt! wrote: Trae/Capela is not working this year. The Trae/Murray combo seems to not be working either. Okongwu is limited/untested and they see him as more of a pf according to Hawks fans. I don’t believe either of those two are the answer. That was also part of my reasoning to go to Rudy. Trae is a challenging piece to build around. In a sense, he’s the guard version of Kat. Rudy wouldn’t solve all of their problems but he would be a huge help.

Murray is a flight risk but that may help make him attainable. Conley is 35. NAW looks like a very good backup. If Murray wants to start and play for a playoff team he could do worse than sign here.

Trae/Capela work every year due to the PnR.

Trae/Murray is working, it's not perfect but it's working. Just not enough to where I can say, Atlanta shouldn't consider thinking about trades for Murray but well enough to say, Atlanta should resign Murray. He makes us better. That's a sure thing.

OO is not limited. He's just your typical high-end young role-player. We know what he can and can't do and what's his best fit. He's definitely a long-term 4 but he's just fine as a backup 5 which in our switch-heavy defense, means you have to guard 1-5 and he excels at it as well as defending 1v1 in the post against 4s or 5s.

I haven't seen one Hawk fan suggest Rudy this year. Not one. KAT, yes, plenty. Rudy, none and I am probably his biggest fan at least in the Hawks universe.

KAT is a challenging piece to build around. Ant is a challenging piece to build around. Luka is a challenging piece to build around. What the **** does that mean?

Rudy wouldn't solve our problems yet he's worth 40+ million for the next three years. Just next year, the Hawks have to pay Murray, Okongwu, and Bey. That's likely to be around 70 million dollars. You add Hunter's 20 plus Trae's 40 plus Gobert's 42, you are talking about 175 million in 6 players. Make it make sense? One of the biggest drawbacks of a KAT deal is his contract. One of the reasons why Atlanta has to be right to trade for him. He has to be a difference-maker. If he can't be a difference-maker, Atlanta can't trade for him.

Rudy has to be a difference maker as Atlanta would have one if not the highest salaries in the NBA by a mile. I don't see it. I don't see it honestly with any team. 40+ million, 30+, 3 more seasons. That's a lot!

This is just me speaking for a Gobert for Capela/JC deal. Murray is only for KAT. You already knew that too. You know there is no one in Atlanta willing to trade Murray for anything less than Murray. It would have to be for something as good as Murray with upside to get us to contender status.

It's a no for me and that's a Gobert for Capela/JC deal.

minimus wrote:
lewdog wrote:

CHI?
POR?

The contract is a killer for Chicago and Vooch is a FA so they can resign him to a more fair deal which helps their cap and Portland doesn't have the contracts to even move for Gobert nor would they want that contract.

I will have to agree, if there was a team that would be your best chance, it would be Atlanta because they have matching contracts with JC/Capela for Gobert. The issue is, does Atlanta want the contract and considering what's around the corner for Murray, Okongwu, and Bey? I can tell you, we are looking to offload JC's contract and get as many assets we can get for Capela this offseason and move on from both of them and adding Gobert for them would be a Quin call and one that Ressler must sign off on as this means LT for the 2 years at the very least.

I am not saying this is an awful deal, it's more of a direction deal. Does Atlanta want to go in this direction? Also, does MIN want to do this as well? That's another question to consider.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1899 » by Note30 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:33 am

Klomp wrote:
lewdog wrote:

So after seeing that answer from a Hawks fan, what other teams?

GopherIt!
RealGM

Post#1900 » by GopherIt! » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:14 am

King Ken wrote:Trae/Capela work every year due to the PnR.

Trae/Murray is working, it's not perfect but it's working. Just not enough to where I can say, Atlanta shouldn't consider thinking about trades for Murray but well enough to say, Atlanta should resign Murray. He makes us better. That's a sure thing.

OO is not limited. He's just your typical high-end young role-player. We know what he can and can't do and what's his best fit. He's definitely a long-term 4 but he's just fine as a backup 5 which in our switch-heavy defense, means you have to guard 1-5 and he excels at it as well as defending 1v1 in the post against 4s or 5s.

I haven't seen one Hawk fan suggest Rudy this year. Not one. KAT, yes, plenty. Rudy, none and I am probably his biggest fan at least in the Hawks universe.

KAT is a challenging piece to build around. Ant is a challenging piece to build around. Luka is a challenging piece to build around. What the **** does that mean?

Spoiler:
Rudy wouldn't solve our problems yet he's worth 40+ million for the next three years. Just next year, the Hawks have to pay Murray, Okongwu, and Bey. That's likely to be around 70 million dollars. You add Hunter's 20 plus Trae's 40 plus Gobert's 42, you are talking about 175 million in 6 players. Make it make sense? One of the biggest drawbacks of a KAT deal is his contract. One of the reasons why Atlanta has to be right to trade for him. He has to be a difference-maker. If he can't be a difference-maker, Atlanta can't trade for him.

Rudy has to be a difference maker as Atlanta would have one if not the highest salaries in the NBA by a mile. I don't see it. I don't see it honestly with any team. 40+ million, 30+, 3 more seasons. That's a lot!

This is just me speaking for a Gobert for Capela/JC deal. Murray is only for KAT. You already knew that too. You know there is no one in Atlanta willing to trade Murray for anything less than Murray. It would have to be for something as good as Murray with upside to get us to contender status.

It's a no for me and that's a Gobert for Capela/JC deal.

minimus wrote:
lewdog wrote:What team(s) are you thinking? And keep in mind... that 40 million dollar contract.

CHI?POR?
Spoiler:
The contract is a killer for Chicago and Vooch is a FA so they can resign him to a more fair deal which helps their cap and Portland doesn't have the contracts to even move for Gobert nor would they want that contract.

I will have to agree, if there was a team that would be your best chance, it would be Atlanta because they have matching contracts with JC/Capela for Gobert. The issue is, does Atlanta want the contract and considering what's around the corner for Murray, Okongwu, and Bey? I can tell you, we are looking to offload JC's contract and get as many assets we can get for Capela this offseason and move on from both of them and adding Gobert for them would be a Quin call and one that Ressler must sign off on as this means LT for the 2 years at the very least.

I am not saying this is an awful deal, it's more of a direction deal. Does Atlanta want to go in this direction? Also, does MIN want to do this as well? That's another question to consider.

You guys fired your coach, that’s a clear indictment of the season. I made an accurate summary of things. Role player = limited. That’s all I meant.

Ken, with all due respect, everybody and their brother and their uncle and their second cousin wants Kat. Why? Because he can fit w just about any team offensively. He’s a unicorn. You don’t trade that. We both know, when a star player is being traded, whoever obtains the best player wins the trade. $1 beats 4 quarters 99.9% of the time.

Murray is obviously worth more than a quarter but u get my point. Trae is your $1 player but he is not someone I am interested in. Most posters insist that those 4 quarters the Knicks are offering are a great deal for Minnesota. It just gets tiring as a Wolves fan having to go through this every time we get a good player. That is not an indictment of you personally.

What I meant by ‘challenging’ is a player who excels on one side of the ball but has significant limitations on the other. Ben Simmons is an extreme case. Kat is not an ideal C today. If the Wolves had a prime Serge Ibaka they’d be set. There’s just not a lot of guys u can pair w him & be efficent on both sides of the ball. OO could develop into a decent fit.

You don’t have to explain yourself on Rudy/Murray brother. I totally get it. That’s why I mentioned the Quin connection and left it at that. Rudy cost Kahnally five #1 picks and Murray cost the Hawks a similar # of picks. I assume our Pobo would not trade Rudy for assets that are worth significantly less than what he paid.

TLDR: I want to build around the Ant/Kat combo. Don’t like Kat at the 4. I’d put Kat back at the 5 w four long, switchable guys 1-4. I’d trade Rudy but don’t see many options. After punting on DLo they need to come up w a long term solution at PG. TC blew it passing on Murray.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves