winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,649

Re: New TV voice of the Wolves is Michael Grady 

Post#41 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:52 am

Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
There are petitions for everything. Anytime a TV show gets cancelled or they stop making someone's favorite candy bar...

It's the same people that were "outraged" when Ryan got fired.

All he has to do is be good at his job (and by all accounts, he's very good) and he'll win everyone over.

This is for Zona too, I honestly don’t know why we are still talking about this. What I said is common sense. It is easier to start a performance job when the predecessor wanted to leave or was no longer available. It doesn’t mean he will be bad or fail, or that he cannot win people over. Of course all he has to do is be good at his job. The bar is always going to be the guy you replaced. The only difference is the bias of the people who wish the previous guy wasn’t replaced. I think you guys are exaggerating my position. I even said I hope Grady does well.

you're using a petition with 7,000 signatures in a market of 2,000,000 to project some belief that benz had majority support. you can't possibly make that case. it's ridiculous.

You keep harping on that. The fact that 7400+ people cared enough to start and sign the petition was my point. I am not saying he was universally loved, or even loved by the majority. I am saying he had fans within the fan base and they will measure him against that guy. I also jokingly referred to Grady needing Ant facts and elsewhere I said Ant facts or we riot. To be clear I was not advocating an actual riot or even that the guy need real Ant facts. You are so quick to attack anything I say you sometimes miss the point. Do yourself a favor and chill out.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,039

Post#42 » by Nick K » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:36 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
That’s what I mean when I say I don’t envy Grady having to be the one to replace Benz. I want him to do well, but it is a tough spot to be in.

Why is it a tough spot? He just has to be better than Benz. That's not a high bar.

I get that Benz has fans, but he's not some Paul Bunyan folk hero to the state of Minnesota. He's a likable guy without a ton of basketball knowledge and he didn't provide a lot of depth or substance.

He has some of the warmth of a Hanneman type, but Tom had an underlying level of gravitas beneath the laugh and smile.

Benz might not have been perfect, but I do believe he was well liked. When you replace a guy who is well liked who lost his job through no fault of his own, some people who were fans of Benz will be harsh critics. It is different if Benz retired, or took a job elsewhere, or wanted a break. That just didn’t happen here.

We all get what you're saying over and over again WFL. Geez, the guy wasn't booted out. He was at the end of a contract that was given during a prior management. He wasn't renewed. That's it. The new guys want their own guy! Aren't they entitled to that? It might not be fair to Benz but that's life. We all go through it. If he's half as good as you think he is he may find a better opportunity. Who knows.

He was a nice guy that most all of us liked and he did a good but not great job according to the majority of us. It's like having a player like Corey Brewer, a nicer guy you couldn't find. They don't resign him and go after what they think is a better player. That's it.

We get you like the guy. Look man I love most your posts but this argument is getting old. Please let it go.
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#43 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 am

winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:
This is for Zona too, I honestly don’t know why we are still talking about this. What I said is common sense. It is easier to start a performance job when the predecessor wanted to leave or was no longer available. It doesn’t mean he will be bad or fail, or that he cannot win people over. Of course all he has to do is be good at his job. The bar is always going to be the guy you replaced. The only difference is the bias of the people who wish the previous guy wasn’t replaced. I think you guys are exaggerating my position. I even said I hope Grady does well.

you're using a petition with 7,000 signatures in a market of 2,000,000 to project some belief that benz had majority support. you can't possibly make that case. it's ridiculous.

You keep harping on that. The fact that 7400+ people cared enough to start and sign the petition was my point. I am not saying he was universally loved, or even loved by the majority. I am saying he had fans within the fan base and they will measure him against that guy. I also jokingly referred to Grady needing Ant facts and elsewhere I said Ant facts or we riot. To be clear I was not advocating an actual riot or even that the guy need real Ant facts. You are so quick to attack anything I say you sometimes miss the point. Do yourself a favor and chill out.

no, you're using that minority to try and make a point that grady has his work cut out for him...or something. my point is that benz isn't as influential, or as much of an emotional sticking point, as you make him out to be. i'm not missing the point with you - i just disagree vehemently.

i don't have issues voicing my opinions. the fact that i keep opposing you is...your problem. i'm not singling you out - you're just the only one here i consistently disagree with. do the math.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#44 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:51 am

Nick K wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Why is it a tough spot? He just has to be better than Benz. That's not a high bar.

I get that Benz has fans, but he's not some Paul Bunyan folk hero to the state of Minnesota. He's a likable guy without a ton of basketball knowledge and he didn't provide a lot of depth or substance.

He has some of the warmth of a Hanneman type, but Tom had an underlying level of gravitas beneath the laugh and smile.

Benz might not have been perfect, but I do believe he was well liked. When you replace a guy who is well liked who lost his job through no fault of his own, some people who were fans of Benz will be harsh critics. It is different if Benz retired, or took a job elsewhere, or wanted a break. That just didn’t happen here.

We all get what you're saying over and over again WFL. Geez, the guy wasn't booted out. He was at the end of a contract that was given during a prior management. He wasn't renewed. That's it. The new guys want their own guy! Aren't they entitled to that? It might not be fair to Benz but that's life. We all go through it. If he's half as good as you think he is he may find a better opportunity. Who knows.

He was a nice guy that most all of us liked and he did a good but not great job according to the majority of us. It's like having a player like Corey Brewer, a nicer guy you couldn't find. They don't resign him and go after what they think is a better player. That's it.

We get you like the guy. Look man I love most your posts but this argument is getting old. Please let it go.

You got it. I think at this point the only one who still wants to talk about it is Zona. Kinda sad if you ask me.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,198

Post#45 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:46 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:00 am

He was sick of the Taylor protests, he's one of us!

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#47 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:03 am

Klomp wrote:He was sick of the Taylor protests, he's one of us!

Read on Twitter

+2
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#48 » by GooniousMaximus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:31 am

Benz who???
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,634

Post#49 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:30 pm

Calinks wrote:Some responses to the news from Nets reddit fans.

We really can't ***** have anything can we

This offseason just keeps finding ways to twist the knife.

The most devastating loss all season and off season

Great energy and incredible voice. He only did play-by-play occasionally the last couple years, so he was still growing into it, but he definitely has a ton of potential to grow into a top full time guy.

In all seriousness, Grady has been amazing since arriving in BK and super excited for him on this new opportunity

Grady is beloved here and I would be shocked if you guys don't find yourself feeling the same way. He just has this humble, very down to earth, and always positive vibe about him

Out of all of the crap we've had to endure this offseason, losing Grady is the thing that hurts the most. It'll be weird having games on this fall and not hearing him chime in.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,634

Post#50 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

:cry: :cry: :cry: those were, believe it or not, the good days.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#51 » by b7s4 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:03 pm

8-)
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#52 » by b7s4 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:09 pm

b7s4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,944

Post#53 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:58 am

b7s4 wrote:
b7s4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think these super sappy remembrance songs by Boyz II Men are a bit much to use regarding the departure of Dave Benz.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,130

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Y’all should LOVE Grady. He was on the Indy market for a long time and proved himself to be a smart, kind, and talented dude. He’s still beloved and missed in Indianapolis.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,125

Post#55 » by Dan33185 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
b7s4 wrote:
b7s4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think these super sappy remembrance songs by Boyz II Men are a bit much to use regarding the departure of Dave Benz.

I think it's a little tongue in cheek by Benz, he's been around long enough to get the business.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#56 » by winforlose » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
b7s4 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think it's a little tongue in cheek by Benz, he's been around long enough to get the business.

This. Benz has always leaned into the cheesy and goofy and the song is both.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,244

Post#57 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:38 am

winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Just stop
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Benz developed a good rapport with Petersen that grew over the years, but what was noticeable especially early in his tenure was that he never seemed like a 'basketball guy' to me. Which is great for him to relate to the common, average fan, but I feel like it kind of holds back the broadcast. Grady obviously is a basketball junkie, at least based on Krawczynski's feature.

“I don’t think I stepped into any broadcast without thinking about young Michael Grady when he was sitting six inches from the television with his tube socks on and watching my favorite team’s every move,” Grady said. “I want to be great for that person.”

https://theathletic.com/3518771/2022/08/18/michael-grady-timberwolves-new-announcer/

Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 409

Post#59 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:30 pm

Sounds like Grady is out again tonight for national tv duties according to Jim Pete via the Flagrant Howls pod
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:52 pm

Guest84 wrote:Sounds like Grady is out again tonight for national tv duties according to Jim Pete via the Flagrant Howls pod

Doing a HBCU game on TNT tomorrow afternoon in New Jersey

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves