ImageImageImage

Around the league 22/23

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,392

Around the league 22/23 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:44 pm

Copied from hoopshype “ Adrian Wojnarowski: Oklahoma City Thunder 7-footer Chet Holmgren will miss the 2022-2023 season with a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Holmgren, the No. 2 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, suffered the injury in a Pro-Am game in Seattle on Saturday. – via Twitter wojespn”
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Re: Around the league 22/23 

Post#2 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:43 pm

winforlose wrote:Copied from hoopshype “ Adrian Wojnarowski: Oklahoma City Thunder 7-footer Chet Holmgren will miss the 2022-2023 season with a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Holmgren, the No. 2 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, suffered the injury in a Pro-Am game in Seattle on Saturday. – via Twitter wojespn”

This really sucks for this hometown kid. Was looking forward to watching him play this year and excited to see him at the home opener. However this mean that OKC is really going to be in the tank mode again. I do't think they had much of a shot this year anyways but, if they get another top 3 in next years draft watch out could be the next ( Durant, Westbrook, Harden in OKC) Holmgren, Giddy and 2023 1st.

Also Bev going to LA Lakers. That locker room is going to be a mess. Bev and Westbrook hate each other don't care if they are teammates now. Wonder if this move was made to force Westbrook into a buyout?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#3 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:48 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:
winforlose wrote:Copied from hoopshype “ Adrian Wojnarowski: Oklahoma City Thunder 7-footer Chet Holmgren will miss the 2022-2023 season with a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Holmgren, the No. 2 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, suffered the injury in a Pro-Am game in Seattle on Saturday. – via Twitter wojespn”

This really sucks for this hometown kid. Was looking forward to watching him play this year and excited to see him at the home opener. However this mean that OKC is really going to be in the tank mode again. I do't think they had much of a shot this year anyways but, if they get another top 3 in next years draft watch out could be the next ( Durant, Westbrook, Harden in OKC) Holmgren, Giddy and 2023 1st.

Also Bev going to LA Lakers. That locker room is going to be a mess. Bev and Westbrook hate each other don't care if they are teammates now. Wonder if this move was made to force Westbrook into a buyout?

I assume there is 0% chance RW is a Laker in Ocotober. The rumors is, when Lebron signed the extension it was on the condition that the Lakers go all in on his window. That simply doesn’t involve RW. That said I don’t expect a buyout. I expect a trade with multiple draft assets.

I was looking forward to watching Chet play. One of the few guys who I could root for on another team in the West (especially when he isn’t beating us.) I feel bad for the kid, especially because he got hurt on unsafe floors in a pro am game. This should mean the bottom 3 in the west in order are the Jazz at 15, Spurs at 14, OKC at 13.
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#4 » by b7s4 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 8:11 pm

Jazz Trade Donovan Mitchell to Cavaliers
Read on Twitter

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/09/01/donovan-mitchell-traded-to-cavaliers-per-report
The Jazz are trading star guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cavaliers for three unprotected first round picks and two pick swaps, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The unprotected picks are in 2025, 2027 and 2029 with the pick swaps being in 2026 and 2028.

Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports also reports Cleveland is sending Lauri Markkanen, Colin Sexton and Ochai Agbaji to Utah as part of the deal. Sexton will is signing a new four-year deal worth $72 million that’s full guaranteed in the sign-and-trade deal, per The Athletic’s Shams Charania.

Mitchell averaged 23.9 points, 4.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds this past season on 45% shooting from the field. He was also named to his third straight All-Star Game. Mitchell was drafted out of Louisville by Utah with the No. 13 pick in the 2017 draft, and with he and Rudy Gobert now gone from the franchise, it appears as though the Jazz are entering a full rebuild.

After the Jazz traded Gobert on July 1 to the Timberwolves in a blockbuster deal, Jazz general manager Justin Zanik told reporters that Mitchell was not “untouchable.” Just days later it was reported that the team was open to trade offers. Now, both the franchise and Mitchell will get a fresh start.

Mitchell will join fellow 2022 All Stars Jarrett Allen and Darius Garland in Cleveland as well as standout young big man Evan Mobley.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Thu Sep 1, 2022 8:26 pm

b7s4 wrote:Jazz Trade Donovan Mitchell to Cavaliers
Read on Twitter

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/09/01/donovan-mitchell-traded-to-cavaliers-per-report
The Jazz are trading star guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cavaliers for three unprotected first round picks and two pick swaps, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The unprotected picks are in 2025, 2027 and 2029 with the pick swaps being in 2026 and 2028.

Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports also reports Cleveland is sending Lauri Markkanen, Colin Sexton and Ochai Agbaji to Utah as part of the deal. Sexton will is signing a new four-year deal worth $72 million that’s full guaranteed in the sign-and-trade deal, per The Athletic’s Shams Charania.

Mitchell averaged 23.9 points, 4.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds this past season on 45% shooting from the field. He was also named to his third straight All-Star Game. Mitchell was drafted out of Louisville by Utah with the No. 13 pick in the 2017 draft, and with he and Rudy Gobert now gone from the franchise, it appears as though the Jazz are entering a full rebuild.

After the Jazz traded Gobert on July 1 to the Timberwolves in a blockbuster deal, Jazz general manager Justin Zanik told reporters that Mitchell was not “untouchable.” Just days later it was reported that the team was open to trade offers. Now, both the franchise and Mitchell will get a fresh start.

Mitchell will join fellow 2022 All Stars Jarrett Allen and Darius Garland in Cleveland as well as standout young big man Evan Mobley.

I don’t think Mitchell or any one way player is worth what Gobert is worth. This trade was around the same value as the Gobert deal. That said DM is younger and others think highly of him. Overall I think the Jazz won, but the Cavs got better and secured at least the 5 or 6 seed in the East.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,193

Post#6 » by Neeva » Thu Sep 1, 2022 9:07 pm

Gobert is a superior player and wolves got him for less.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#7 » by Note30 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 9:36 pm

Neeva wrote:Gobert is a superior player and wolves got him for less.

Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley and forward Jarred Vanderbilt, along with guard Leandro Bolmaro, the draft rights to center Walker Kessler and Minnesota’s 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029 first round picks and a 2026 first round pick swap

Vs
Lauri Markkanen, Ochair Agbaji, Collin Sexton, three unprotected first-round picks and two pick swaps

I'm not so sure we gave up less.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Around the league 22/23 

Post#8 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Sep 1, 2022 10:20 pm

Jazz record was still above .500 without Mitchell in the lineups according to stat muse

Jazz record without Rudy was about .400.

Rudy’s more valuable. But decent return for Utah. Utahs gonna be absolutely terrible for the next 5+ years. Minimum.

They gotta win the lottery, 14% chance, and hope the pick is a star, even lesser chance

Knicks fans probably punching air since they probably could’ve squashed that deal
winforlose
General Manager

Post#9 » by winforlose » Thu Sep 1, 2022 10:37 pm

Note30 wrote:

Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley and forward Jarred Vanderbilt, along with guard Leandro Bolmaro, the draft rights to center Walker Kessler and Minnesota’s 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029 first round picks and a 2026 first round pick swap

Vs
Lauri Markkanen, Ochair Agbaji, Collin Sexton, three unprotected first-round picks and two pick swaps

OA was 14 Kessler was 22. In my mind that wipes out at least Lea. LM and V8 are probably a wash. Sexton is a one way player but better overall than Beasley. Beverly as a 34 year old expiring with injury history has limited value (and has been traded several times for very little.) Picks wise Cavs 29 is unprotected whereas ours is top 5 protected turning into 2 seconds. A protected 29 vs an unprotected swap in 28 is probably favors the Cavs. Overall, they gave up more player capital and we gave up more draft capital. I do think we paid less on balance.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#10 » by karch34 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:26 pm

Note30 wrote:

Vs

Sexton and Markkanen are better players that we gave up IMO. We gave up more quantity, they gave up more quality, my love for Pat Bev, Beas, and Vando notwithstanding
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:52 pm

Note30 wrote:

Vs

We gave up about the same, but we got WAAAYYYY More. :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:54 pm

dupe deleted.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#13 » by Dewey » Fri Sep 2, 2022 12:21 am

Danny loves his picks
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 668

Post#14 » by Movics » Fri Sep 2, 2022 2:28 am

They lost control of the same amount of picks and gave up better players than us for a lesser hooper. Our big 4 is also better than the Cavs’. Wouldn’t mind meeting them in the finals. :D
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,320

Post#15 » by Calinks » Sat Sep 3, 2022 12:59 pm

This move cements the Cavs as a really good team now with a ton of upside in the future. I think it was worth it for them to get a big piece they need. Wonder how this is seen nationally. I bet its a lot more well-received than the Gobert trade which was largely panned.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#16 » by winforlose » Sat Sep 3, 2022 2:07 pm

Calinks wrote:This move cements the Cavs as a really good team now with a ton of upside in the future. I think it was worth it for them to get a big piece they need. Wonder how this is seen nationally. I bet its a lot more well-received than the Gobert trade which was largely panned.

I think everyone is waiting to see the fit. Garland and Mitchell are both undersized and the defense is a real question moving forward. Mobley is another variable. We all know he has huge upside, but how does his game evolve over the next 2-3 years. Lastly, if the top 4 in the East were (in no particular order,) the Bucks, Heat, 76ers, and Celtics, who does Cleveland replace in that list? Also does Brooklyn have a place in the top 4?

Also worth noting Cleveland cost themselves the ability to extend Mobley with the designated rookie extension. Now they can of course match Mobley as an RFA, but I cannot help but wonder how this situation will affect relationships in the organization and the locker room moving forward.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 3, 2022 5:12 pm

Calinks wrote:This move cements the Cavs as a really good team now with a ton of upside in the future. I think it was worth it for them to get a big piece they need. Wonder how this is seen nationally. I bet its a lot more well-received than the Gobert trade which was largely panned.

Mitchell is a more popular player than Gobert. Gobert is a much better player than Mitchell.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#18 » by SO_MONEY » Sat Sep 3, 2022 11:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Mitchell is a more popular player than Gobert. Gobert is a much better player than Mitchell.

I strongly disagree.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#19 » by younggunsmn » Sun Sep 4, 2022 8:12 am

Wow Cleveland gave Utah everything but the kitchen sink for Mitchell.
4 of those 5 picks/swaps also out past their team control on Mitchell.
Curious if this plus Gobert deal sets a steep precedent for the price for star players.
Once is an anomaly, twice is a pattern.
Nice to see the knicks get shut out, league should probably confiscate some of those future picks for the Brunson tampering.

Mitchell has bigger stats/starpower and younger, but Gobert IMHO much bigger net positive effect on winning, more of a physical unicorn and a solid 2-way player, harder to replace his impact. 3 players Utah got up all keepers too. Markaanen/Vando offense/defense a nice pairing.

Now they can tear it down to the studs, don't know how much value is left with Conley and Boganovic contracts, may get something nice for Clarkson though. I like Mitchell, I think hes a tad overrated due to his defense and average shooting, but I don't think he is 3 unprotected picks, 2 swaps, and 3 rotation players better than Caris Lavert.

Wasn't thrilled with all we gave up, but I like that a lot more than this trade for Cleveland.
They are in the East though, an all-in move might pay better immediate dividends there.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 5, 2022 6:29 am

younggunsmn wrote:Wow Cleveland gave Utah everything but the kitchen sink for Mitchell.
4 of those 5 picks/swaps also out past their team control on Mitchell.
Curious if this plus Gobert deal sets a steep precedent for the price for star players.
Once is an anomaly, twice is a pattern.
Nice to see the knicks get shut out, league should probably confiscate some of those future picks for the Brunson tampering.

Mitchell has bigger stats/starpower and younger, but Gobert IMHO much bigger net positive effect on winning, more of a physical unicorn and a solid 2-way player, harder to replace his impact. 3 players Utah got up all keepers too. Markaanen/Vando offense/defense a nice pairing.

Now they can tear it down to the studs, don't know how much value is left with Conley and Boganovic contracts, may get something nice for Clarkson though. I like Mitchell, I think hes a tad overrated due to his defense and average shooting, but I don't think he is 3 unprotected picks, 2 swaps, and 3 rotation players better than Caris Lavert.

Wasn't thrilled with all we gave up, but I like that a lot more than this trade for Cleveland.
They are in the East though, an all-in move might pay better immediate dividends there.

I don't have the exact stats, but the Jazz won 40% of their games when Mitchell played, but Gobert didn't. The Jazz won 60% of their games when Gobert played and Mitchell didn't. That's not a coincidence.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves