Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Re: Ant out indefinitely- Ankle 

Post#21 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:57 pm

shrink wrote:
Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:I am not surprised the Timberwolves have kept it vague.

It’s not just that they are on the road for a back-to-back, and Ant went to Toronto instead of heading back to Minnesota. I think he has a lot of pull with the coaching staff and the organization, and we know he takes pride in being out on the floor. Twice before we’ve seen him back on the court when it would be an obvious call for most coaches to keep him safely on the bench.

Players have some control over hat health information gets out to the public, and I think Ant doesn’t want info out there saying he will definitely miss games. He will likely try to come back early from whatever issue he has, and I don’t think the organization will be able to stop him.

I really want to know how much say players have with this. My brother was ripping Towns to shreds for being coy about his injury, saying it was terrible behavior, etc. I told my brother I think the misinformation is more the teams purview than Towns. Sure KAT could just come out and say whatever but I assumed the team told him to be hush about it. I wonder who is right? If it is Towns (which is not what I believe) then that is kind of messed up keep everyone in the dark, including people in the organization.

Either way, I don't like how we handle injuries because it makes the team or players look bad, like they are toying with the fans. Just be up front and let us know what is going on with injuries. At this point I don't put as much stock as I should into the updates/reports the team puts out.

I hope someone weighs in that knows more on the responsibility for NBA teams to report player injuries, especially since they court gambling, versus the individual’s right to privacy over his health information. I will say that, in general, employers have some responsibility to respect an employers privacy. If I ran a cafe, and a server called me to say she couldn’t work because of an illness or injury, I couldn’t tell her regulars why she wasn’t there, and I certainly couldn’t tell a reporter. Sometimes as fans, we don’t see players as people or employees, but they often have the same protections as we do in our less glamorous jobs.

That said, if someone knows more what this boundary is for NBA teams, I hope they post.

Yea. I'm not demanding it in cases like Wiggins or when something personal is going on. I just think when a player has a know injury, like a calf injury, or whatever, we should have a better idea of what is going on. I do want to respect players privacy too but I'd also just like to know who has what kind of say here too. Like if the team wants KAT to be quiet about it, I wish we knew that as opposed to people saying KAT is being a douchebag, or whatever. It just seems to stir up unnecessary resentment.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#22 » by Baseline81 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#23 » by younggunsmn » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 am

shrink wrote:Hooray! One tweet the next day, and jobs are saved from impatient fans! :wink:

I wouldn't count on that meaning anything. Team's line is still "questionable" and even if he plays hurt how effective is Ant going to be?
Best case scenario he isn't going to be full strength for 2-3 weeks minimum if its the typical high ankle sprain.
Don't ruin the Kid's career and turn it into a chronic lifelong problem trying to salvage a lost season.

As for Towns, I think KD coming back early from a similar injury and then tearing his achilles scared the living daylights out of all involved and without that precedent we might see KAT back already.

OKC, Pelicans, and the Lakers all won tonight and we are already one loss from finishing 11th or worse without our 2 best players and a brutal schedule the rest of the way.
We had our chances to build a cushion for this and blew most of those games, most if not all of our rivals for the 6-10 seeds have dealt with their own injury problems, we are not unique.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#24 » by shrink » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 am

I always wondered why all NBA players don’t wear ankle braces?
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#25 » by Note30 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:01 am

shrink wrote:I always wondered why all NBA players don’t wear ankle braces?

Have you ever played with an ankle brace?

The fact that you're asking, have you ever played basketball competitively?

There's a number of reasons.

1.) You have to learn to play with the brace. And while you do you can serious injure yourself because your body expects to do one thing out of habit and does another. Not everybody is Steph Curry, and he only plays with a high level brace because his ankles are ****. Trae young has been doing it too, but I actually don't know why he's putting himself throught it.
2.) Even if you learn successfully, you're still giving up a ton of mobility laterally. Your agility running in straight lines won't be affected but moving laterally is restrictive because it's uncomfortable.
3.) The brace doesn't actually prevent you from injury, you can still really hurt your ankle on a brace, it just reduces the impact on really damaging plays (stepping on someone's foot). It still hurts.
4.) The lack of mobility in your ankle also applies to all your other mobility. Ankle braces are highly uncomfortable.
5.) The gap between the shoes and the braces needs to be there or you have difficulty moving forward. Steph wears low top shoes with his braces for a reason.

Overall it's just not necessary, yes you could theoretically reduce some future injury, but ankle injuries happen and unless it's a horrid twist generally players come back from it. It's like telling everyone in the NBA to wear goggles because Amare Stoudenaire got poked in the eyes once. Yes it could happen, but why.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 211

Post#26 » by frankenwolf » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:15 pm

younggunsmn wrote:We are absolutely fn done. I could see us losing the rest of our games.
We were in trouble WITH Ant healthy losing 5 in a row at home.
Only thing left now is to wait for Utah to hit the lottery with our pick.

We are the worst franchise in professional sports and we deserve it making a historically awful trade and getting rid of all our quality depth. The west is the definition of mediocre this year and we are absolute doggy doo we should be a minimum of 10 over .500 even without KAT we got 70 games from Ant. Get ANT healthy he is the franchise.

Get rid of Connelly and anyone who was a yes on the Gobert trade I dont care if he is owed 30 million, I don't want anyone who was this horribly wrong about such a big decision involved in any decisions moving forward including evaluating if Finch is the right coach for this team after dropping so many winnable games this year in such spectacular fashion.

I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Note30 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:53 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:We are absolutely fn done. I could see us losing the rest of our games.

We are the worst franchise in professional sports and we deserve it making a historically awful trade and getting rid of all our quality depth. The west is the definition of mediocre this year and we are absolute doggy doo we should be a minimum of 10 over .500 even without KAT we got 70 games from Ant. Get ANT healthy he is the franchise.

Get rid of Connelly and anyone who was a yes on the Gobert trade I dont care if he is owed 30 million, I don't want anyone who was this horribly wrong about such a big decision involved in any decisions moving forward including evaluating if Finch is the right coach for this team after dropping so many winnable games this year in such spectacular fashion.

I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I'm making your post here my sig.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 211

Post#28 » by frankenwolf » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:18 pm

Note30 wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:

Outstanding - I'm finally memorialized. :D :D :D
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:25 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
Note30 wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,963

Post#30 » by Domejandro » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:45 pm

I don’t think Minnesota is winning a Championship any time soon, but if they do, the “I’m making your post here my sig.” would make for one of the best signature immortalizations of all time.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#31 » by minimus » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:40 pm

Domejandro wrote:I don’t think Minnesota is winning a Championship any time soon, but if they do, the “I’m making your post here my sig.” would make for one of the best signature immortalizations of all time.

Winning a championship? I guess for MIN standards anything more than first round of playoffs will be a huge success
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#32 » by Battletrigger » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:30 am

Note30 wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:
Note30 wrote:

You will not be wrong. The winner of a private competition that only has teams from two countries is far away from being the wold champions.

Spain is the Wold Champions.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#33 » by urinesane » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:31 am

Note30 wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Wouldn't be a new thing (though I doubt you'd ever admit it :wink: ).
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Note30 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:06 am

urinesane wrote:
Note30 wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about. I'm pretty willing to admit when I'm wrong. But go ahead, give me a list.

urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by urinesane » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Note30 wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about. I'm pretty willing to admit when I'm wrong. But go ahead, give me a list.

Yeah, I'll definitely waste my day finding posts of negative nellies knee jerk reactions. Sound good. :lol:
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Note30 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:25 pm

urinesane wrote:
Note30 wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Yeah, I'll definitely waste my day finding posts of negative nellies knee jerk reactions. Sound good. :lol:

Then don't talk **** mf. If you can't take on one instance then gtfoh.

urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by urinesane » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:36 pm

Note30 wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Note30 wrote:

I actually mistook you for another poster, sorry my bad.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Note30 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:41 am

urinesane wrote:
Note30 wrote:
urinesane wrote:

I actually mistook you for another poster, sorry my bad.

My apologies as well mate, shouldn't have gone so hard.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves