Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,650

The Daishen Nix thread 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:25 am

It's time.

The other two-ways got a thread, so Nix gets one too.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: The Daishen Nix thread 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:34 am

He's been around a long time. He was with Jalen Green on that first G League Ignite roster. He began as a two-way and earned a Gupta Special with the Rockets late in his rookie season. Unfortunately for him, his only NBA experiences he's been coached by Stephen Silas. This will be his third season as a pro, but he's still just 21 years old (only Minott and Miller are younger). Like Garza, he is basically to the point of being too good for the G League. Two years ago, he averaged 20.6/5.9/7.7 with 2.0 steals for Rio Grande Valley.

He's got a little bit of a cross in his game between Kyle Anderson and Jordan McLaughlin to me, so I think learning from both of them will be beneficial. He might even get to a point where he takes one of their jobs next year....

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:41 am

Here's an interesting fact that I didn't know about him until watching the interview video I posted above. This might come off as stereotypical, but to me it puts his body style into a different light.

Nix is half Samoan.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,343

Post#4 » by shrink » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:59 am

Klomp wrote:Here's an interesting fact that I didn't know about him until watching the interview video I posted above. This might come off as stereotypical, but to me it puts his body style into a different light.

Nix is half Samoan.

And from Alaska? That is a unique combo!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:07 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:Here's an interesting fact that I didn't know about him until watching the interview video I posted above. This might come off as stereotypical, but to me it puts his body style into a different light.

Nix is half Samoan.

And from Alaska? That is a unique combo!

Are there many Samoan/Alaskans in the NBA?? :lol:
Are there any Samoan's or Alaskans currently in the NBA other than Nix? I remember a couple guys from Alaska that used to be in the league. I don't recall any Samoans, but I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 977

Post#6 » by Saltine » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:30 pm

At least he'll like the weather :-)
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#7 » by younggunsmn » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:44 pm

Meh, I don't see much upside with athleticism or any above average skill.
Has shot below 30% from 3 in a pretty good sample size the last 2 years.

At least Ryan could shoot and play the 3.

I expect that last 2-way spot to change hands more than once going forward, maybe as soon as roster cut downs are finalized.
twolves31
Junior
And1: 256

Post#8 » by twolves31 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:06 pm

The Houston reddit seems to hate him, calling him the worst player on the worst team in the league last season. He's a dart throw, you never know if he will develop that 3pt shot and his 2.1 stls per game in g-league seems solid. If he works out great, if he doesn't hey we move on. I would have rather taken a shot at signing TyTy Washington when he was waived than Nix, but lets hope Nix develops here.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:17 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Meh, I don't see much upside with athleticism or any above average skill.

I expect that last 2-way spot to change hands more than once going forward, maybe as soon as roster cut downs are finalized.

I think his handle and his steals are both above average skills. I love his size for a legit PG. Almost certainly will never be a rotation player, but a better shot at it than Ryan IMO.
thinktank
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,306

Post#10 » by thinktank » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:15 pm

Looks like a sturdy combo guard off the bench with no vision.

He’s trying to learn to pass. You can see it when you watch him play.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#11 » by KATKlownFeet » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:49 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Meh, I don't see much upside with athleticism or any above average skill.

Nix shot better than Ryan in preseason by a wide margin and he can pass and defend better too. Ryan is five years older and probably is as good as he is ever going to be, meanwhile Nix is still improving. TC knows what he is doing.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore

Post#12 » by KATKlownFeet » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:52 pm

thinktank wrote:Looks like a sturdy combo guard off the bench with no vision.

He is quite a good passer already, especially for a 21 year old. He passed very well in preseason. Against Maccabi, he had ten dimes and could have had 15 dimes if guys didn't miss bunnies and open looks. He was a phenom in the G League and triple doubled and double doubled for Rio Grande in the championship game that Rio won 2 games to zero.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore

Post#13 » by KATKlownFeet » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 pm

twolves31 wrote:The Houston reddit seems to hate him, calling him the worst player on the worst team in the league last season. He's a dart throw, you never know if he will develop that 3pt shot and his 2.1 stls per game in g-league seems solid. If he works out great, if he doesn't hey we move on. I would have rather taken a shot at signing TyTy Washington when he was waived than Nix, but lets hope Nix develops here.

I wanted us to sign TyTy as well. I didn't know much about Nix before we signed him, but I was quite impressed when I saw him play. The more I digged, the more I have come around to liking the signing. Would I still want TyTy? Sure, but Milwaukee has him now. Not many young point guards out there with rotational upside, but I believe Nix could be one of them. I also like Kennedy Chandler, but I don't know if TC is as high on him given his size. Another guy I wanted to sign was Theo Maledon, but Charlotte recently signed him to a two-way.
thinktank
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,306

Post#14 » by thinktank » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:40 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:
thinktank wrote:Looks like a sturdy combo guard off the bench with no vision.

He is quite a good passer already, especially for a 21 year old. He passed very well in preseason. Against Maccabi, he had ten dimes and could have had 15 dimes if guys didn't miss bunnies and open looks. He was a phenom in the G League and triple doubled and double doubled for Rio Grande in the championship game that Rio won 2 games to zero.

I saw he passed against Maccabi. If he can pass, then I actually really like this guy. Tough finisher. (7.6 assists in his 2021 G league season. That’s a good number.)
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#15 » by minimus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:34 am

twolves31 wrote:The Houston reddit seems to hate him, calling him the worst player on the worst team in the league last season. He's a dart throw, you never know if he will develop that 3pt shot and his 2.1 stls per game in g-league seems solid. If he works out great, if he doesn't hey we move on. I would have rather taken a shot at signing TyTy Washington when he was waived than Nix, but lets hope Nix develops here.

I remember how a year ago a DET fan was saying that Garza is a waste of time. But Luka has been CONSISTENTLY working on his body and skills and look at him now. What s journey! Sure, Naz Reid and Luka Garza stories are kind of miracles, but I also see this as a combination of MIN internal player development program (including talent evaluation, NBA and gleague coaching), players wrok ethic. In this case I would not trust Garza nor Nix evaluation because of LAST year DET and HOU situations. Providing Garza with stable environment, supporting structure has helped him a lot, but also he is a son of former basketball player, he has had a run with Bosnia and Herzegovina National team, he cut down body fat to 6.6%. So combination of all these factors is a foundation for Garza progress.

Now back to Nix. He has a good looking shooting release and decent shooting touch, so he has potential to be a good shooter. Not only he passed the ball well, he looked comfortable as ballhandler which I find more important for us. The low hanging fruit for his development is improving his body. He is listed 6'4", 224lbs right now, that is a lot, how much he can improve athletically? I would say that shedding 10-15lbs would help him immensely. But Klomp wrote that Nix is half samoa, I dont know if this is his body type genetically and can be improved via NBA athletic program. I also would love to hear Finch comments about Nix.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#16 » by younggunsmn » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:21 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:

Nix shot better than Ryan in preseason by a wide margin and he can pass and defend better too. Ryan is five years older and probably is as good as he is ever going to be, meanwhile Nix is still improving. TC knows what he is doing.

He shoots absolutely Okogie level brutal for 81 games over 2 years and you are ready to say he's fixed by going 6/7 in 2 preseason games. Sample size matters. and very unathletic. I just don't see it.
But I'm happy to see any of our players prove me wrong.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:39 pm

IMO Nix is young enough and skilled enough to grow into a rotation player. Very glad we kept him.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore

Post#18 » by KATKlownFeet » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:21 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:

He shoots absolutely Okogie level brutal for 81 games over 2 years and you are ready to say he's fixed by going 6/7 in 2 preseason games. Sample size matters. and very unathletic. I just don't see it.

Nah, he shot great for Rio Grande. He was a G League Beast that led his team to a championship! He never played in college and so yeah he's going to struggle shooting against NBA players and Houston was fine throwing him into the fire as they were tanking. The game is starting to slow down for him and I expect we'll see steady progress. His jumper is wet!
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:39 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:

Nah, he shot great for Rio Grande. He was a G League Beast that led his team to a championship! He never played in college and so yeah he's going to struggle shooting against NBA players and Houston was fine throwing him into the fire as they were tanking. The game is starting to slow down for him and I expect we'll see steady progress. His jumper is wet!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :rockon:
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,227

Post#20 » by Nick K » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:29 pm

Saltine wrote:At least he'll like the weather :-)

:lol: Classic!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves