Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892

McHale's Thoughts 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:08 pm

Are we too young? McHale thinks so:

A day after the team he reconstructed trailed Dallas by 31 points at home and lost for the 29th time in 33 games, Kevin McHale on Monday acknowledged he assembled too much youth but said the way his players have conceded defeat is unacceptable.

----

"This is a process, and you knew it was going to be a process," said McHale, whose team has lost a lead after three quarters eight times. "I didn't have any expectations as to wins and losses. Wins and losses are not as important to me as defining roles and identifying a group of four or five players we can move forward with. Those are decisions this franchise has to make: Who do we move forward with and what level [financially] are we willing to do to keep everything in place? At times within the process, it's frustrating."

McHale called the Wolves' performance Sunday against Dallas "terrible." He also said he will judge this season by personal improvement he sees from players.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/13514081.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#2 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:21 pm

You won't be surprised to hear that I think this is all fine. I think the fact that except for Al, roles are all over the place is stifling players' growth, but it is a necessary step for us to find out who we can advance with. I am frustrated with the losses, but I agree that they are secondary -- as long as the individual players remain competitive. That, and how much we commit financially to them, is the most important thing we can do for our future.

I suppose I'd take issue with his statement that we're too young. Too young for what? The youth give us more flexibility, both financially and in talent for the future. Its not impossible to be a young team and become a successful team, a la Portland, but you also don't get to avoid a period where you're going to take some losses where you aren't even competitive. McHale did well to not only bring in the youth, but get rid of several of the vets that, as we find out now, may have created a bad locker room that we wouldn't want infecting our youth.

I'm trying to take the long view here. The wins will come, and if we can keep from despiriting the youth, winning 15 games or 25 games this year isn't the most important thing. Development, identification of talent and roles, and future smart financial choices are what the focus should be upon.

Lastly, I hope this doesn't indicate that future trades won't bring in more youth.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Post#3 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:35 pm

I'm convinced you cant win it all with all youth but I don't think that's out biggest problem right now. I want to see profession of players, not regression. Seeing as how we have nothing to lose now anyway, I would like us to play our young guys more.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#4 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:05 pm

Kevin Mchale has been screwing up this team for so many years, and i'm supposed to listen to his thoughts?
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#5 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:56 pm

You never know what tha collection of youth could bring you. Think of a player that you want who is unavailable right now. Maybe in 2-3 years time that player will be through trade or FA and you guys will be right there to nail him.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#6 » by Basti » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:35 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Kevin Mchale has been screwing up this team for so many years, and i'm supposed to listen to his thoughts?

+1...

but his comments seem to be as if he at least would be quite aware of what he's done... I hope he'll keep his activity for next season up
Dr. Laker
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#7 » by Dr. Laker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1...

but his comments seem to be as if he at least would be quite aware of what he's done... I hope he'll keep his activity for next season up

How does this guy still have a job? This season's TWolves could challenge for the worst record in the history of the NBA.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Dr. Laker wrote: How does this guy still have a job? This season's TWolves could challenge for the worst record in the history of the NBA.

I don't think that's true. MIN is already in front of that pace now, and we've lost several games we were leading going into the fourth quarter. Foye's return should improve us, and as a young team, we have more capacity to improve than just about any team in the league.

But even if it were true, how damaging is that? This season is not about wins, but to see what these players can become, and how they can fit in with the future of the Timberwolves. I WANT to see the youth play, and if that means losses, so be it.
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#9 » by Boss_ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Dr. Laker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How does this guy still have a job? This season's TWolves could challenge for the worst record in the history of the NBA.

It could be worse..want Isiah Thomas?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#10 » by Basti » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 pm

The Boss of Bosses wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It could be worse..want Isiah Thomas?

nope but thanx for your proposal :wink:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves