Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Changing of the guard probably not any time soon 

Post#1 » by Cy32 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I think after this season McHale should step aside for Hoiberg's benefit. McHale had his run. He can stay on in an advisory role ala Jerry West.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,763

Post#3 » by Basti » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm quite concerned that mchale is too competetive to retire. IMO he might think that he started the rebuilding process and he wants to bring it to the ultimate end.

I hope I'm wrong
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,851

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

I feel much more confident with the FO now that Taylor has implemented the team concept and taken sole decision-making away from McHale. They've been doing a good job on the rebuild so far, though it is still early in the process. McHale is technically the VP of Basketball Operations so there's no reason why he couldn't let Freddy take over as the GM. The team decisions would still be in place and McHale could still be involved, but just be more hands-off.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,345

Post#5 » by shrink » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:I'm quite concerned that mchale is too competetive to retire. IMO he might think that he started the rebuilding process and he wants to bring it to the ultimate end.

I agree he's competitive, but I think he'd be thrilled to be in an advisory role that allows more vacation time. I like hearing he's delegating true responsibility right off the bat -- some managers are so possessive of their jobs that they'd never do that, particularly to a guy with so little background with front office decisions.

While fans bash on the guy, even Hoiberg talks about how smart McHale is. It was interesting to hear that McHale was the guy behind bringing in Al, and I agree with Hoiberg's assessment .. Al is even better than we hoped, and with room to grow.

I agree with C.lupus. I'd like McHale involved in future decision-making, but have a team approach so more people are doing the legwork -- something he said going in that he was not going to spend a lot of time doing.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,345

Post#6 » by shrink » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:30 pm

One last comment about the front office, since its not something we focus on very much.

I'm pretty happy with their honesty.

I really liked hearing Juwon Howard's quote thanking Glen Taylor for the buy-out:

Howard expressed his thanks to Wolves owner Glen Taylor, vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and coach Randy Whitman, and called the organization
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,763

Post#7 » by Basti » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:33 pm

shrink wrote:One last comment about the front office, since its not something we focus on very much.

I'm pretty happy with their honesty.

I really liked hearing Juwon Howard's quote thanking Glen Taylor for the buy-out:

Howard expressed his thanks to Wolves owner Glen Taylor, vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and coach Randy Whitman, and called the organization

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves