ImageImageImage

Getting two top-five picks...via Wiretap

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Re: Getting two top-five picks...via Wiretap 

Post#21 » by karch34 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:19 am

shrink wrote:I have always put Abe Pollin on the list of owners who are unwilling to go over the lux, but after the contract he gave Antawn Jamison, I had to take him off. Now, I don't know. Will he still pay over the lux on a team that's not a contender? I don't think so.

I thought that too. I think he was at a point where he thought Arenas-Butler-Jamison would be able to compete at a high level so he almost had to give Jamison big money. Maybe not that big though. :lol:

Now watch Cleveland trades Wally for Jamison and Wiz #1 (top 3 protected) and both sides look brilliant for doing it.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#22 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am

stop-n-pop wrote:This is where Pekovic could be helpful. He doesn't require a guaranteed contract and he could come over in 2010. He's the perfect type of asset for a team like the Wiz. Thomas, James, Dixon, and the 1st for Collins, Shaddy, Booth, Smith, and Pekovic. The Wiz clear $10 mil off the books next year, get a future 1st without guaranteed rookie money, and they can push it off into the future.

If we are keeping Miller and Cardinal, I really like this deal - or a similar one along these lines. We get two top 7 picks, three top 20 picks, plus keep our core, and we'd have an amazing $32 mil in expiring contracts next year!!!!
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#23 » by Krapinsky » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 am

I can't see this happening until after the lotto.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#24 » by karch34 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I can't see this happening until after the lotto.

But then they're already in the luxury tax as the expirings would only have value to them if they're traded before the deadline.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#25 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:07 am

We need that pick.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#26 » by Krapinsky » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:09 am

karch34 wrote:
Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I can't see this happening until after the lotto.

But then they're already in the luxury tax as the expirings would only have value to them if they're traded before the deadline.

Ha... touche'

I realized that after I hit submit and thought I'd wait to see who would point it out. Still, I really can't see this happening.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Rakocevicftw
Junior
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Rakocevicftw » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 am

Collins and McCants for Blatche and James works.

The Wiz don't have to pay James next year, and we get a nice young C prospect in Blatche.
Zach Randolph>Frye. Kevin Durant > Oden. Random guy off street> Pritchard.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#28 » by PeeDee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm

FYI this is still possible... the Wiz failed to make a trade to get under the lux... they'll be about 7 million over the lux next year.

Add another 3 million on top of that for their first round pick and they're not in a pretty place.

Wolves could absorb a 6 or 7 mil contract this summer (Thomas?) and perhaps get the draft pick in the process. Next stop, offseason!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#29 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

PeeDee wrote:FYI this is still possible... the Wiz failed to make a trade to get under the lux... they'll be about 7 million over the lux next year.

Add another 3 million on top of that for their first round pick and they're not in a pretty place.

Wolves could absorb a 6 or 7 mil contract this summer (Thomas?) and perhaps get the draft pick in the process. Next stop, offseason!

If we had moved Mike Miller and Cardinal for an expiring, we'd have ahd ebough space under the cap to offer them raw cap space for their "now expiring deal" Etan Thomas.

Now though, we can't get them under the lux.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves