ImageImageImage

Can we trade w/ a team under the cap this summer?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Can we trade w/ a team under the cap this summer? 

Post#1 » by slinky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm

I dont post much here any more, but I do try and read you guys now and then when I get a chance, so maybe this has been talked about, but what do you think about us trying to trade with a team like detroit or another team with room under the cap?

I have read about us having a little room to take on salaries from other teams, well what about teams like Detroit taking on some of our salary, so that we can be players in the 09' free agency. At the very least clear some roster space for some draft picks this year.

Now I am not necessarily talking about Mike MIller, but he too could be expendable depending on who we target in the draft and free agency. But what about Cardinal, would cardinal plus a 1st round pick be enough to entice a team? Especially a team like Detroit, where a cardinal or miller wont hurt their 2010 FA chances.

I dont know the league as well as I used to a couple of years ago, so I wont throw out trade scenarios, but I think if its our goal to give free agency a shot this year than maybe we can offer an asset to teams that can take on our large contracts. I dont have cap numbers in front of me, but trading one of our contracts plus a 1st, would get rid of both the salary and the cap hold on the pick. What you guys think?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Re: Can we trade w/ a team under the cap this summer? 

Post#2 » by shrink » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Its an interesting idea. Do the rules allow it? Yes. Would it help our team? Yes. Would DET do it? Probably not.

Yes, the raw cap space would help make us a contender in 2009 FA, or allow us to trade it elsewhere. and I've been a longtime advocate of heading in that direction ever since we acquired Miller and Cardinal. Unfortunately, I think that boat has sailed.

DET would have the same options available with the cap space as we do, so its hard to see us getting more value out of it. In fact, DET may be a better FA destination, and so they'd have mroe options than we would. Worse, there are teams like WAS, MIL, and PHO who all face luxury tax issues, that would pay more for the cap space than we would.

I would hope that the MIN front office would make a phone call to DET, but I wouldn't be optimistic on the results. I think when we didn't find a way to trade Miller and Cardinal by the trade deadline, (when Miller could have helped a 2009 play-off run), we probably locked ourselves into being only $2-$3 mil under the salary cap this summer.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#3 » by slinky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Agreed, but I also think Det is holding out for a run at one of the big names in 2010. I know they have been linked to boozer by some people. But potentially they could sign boozer, and still have money to take on cardinal(it doesnt have to be cardinal), plus gain an asset like a pick. Cardinal comes off the books in 2010, and so he doesnt adversely affect their chances at another FA in 2010.

Obviously there are other factors like the Detroit needing to sign more than one player in 2009 and I dont think Det is the only option, but I do think their are ways for us to explore getting farther under tha cap. I think this is the year to buy in free agency. Not many buyers and shorter contracts. The good players will not want to be locked in to long term deals this year if the value of the market isnt at its highest, which it wont be until 2010 at the earliest.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#4 » by prefuse73 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:10 pm

I really have the feeling that the FO wants Miller around for the long haul. He is very unique player. I thought he was just straight up a 3pt shooter, but he really is the perfect 6th man with his ability to rebound, and run a offense. My theory will be tested over the summer and up until next years trade deadline however. Miller will be a very enticing expiring contract next year (one that not only is financially helpful, but can also be a missing piece for a contender).

I do hope we at least use cardinal's contract to get us another piece. As it stands right now, we need to at least upgrade our point position (I am hoping Brown could turn into a westbrook type) and we need serious length and athleticism for our PF and C position to compliment Love and Jefferson.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't think this is the plan for Detroit. If it were, you would have seem them do a deadline deal, say Iverson for Shaq plus incentives.

An ideal trade would move Cardinal + pieces for an upgrade at the 1 or 3.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#6 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

If capspace in '09 was our teams plan, we probably would have seen something more than McCants for Williams and Brown at the deadline.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#7 » by prefuse73 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Exactly.

Capspace this year would bring in who....maybe Marvin Williams, but I really fail to see everyone's fascination with him. We can draft someone similar, perhaps better in Earl Clark at our current draft position.

If we have any space this summer (2 to 3M per shrink), it would be best to combine it with cardinals contract.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#8 » by southern wolf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 am

Williams won't leave Atlanta anyway. He's not a greedy player that's going to grab the biggest contract he can possibly get, and even if he does leave he'd probably sign with Portland or even Memphis before he signed with us.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves