ImageImageImage

If Marbury signs with the Celtics, Can you root for Garnett?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

If Marbury signs with the Celtics, Can you root for Garnett? 

Post#1 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:06 pm

If Marbury signs with the Celtics, can you still root for them/Garnett to beat Kobe and the Lakers for a championship?

I rooted for Kevin last year and it was fun to see him win it all. But if Marbury joins him, It would be too much salt in an old wound for Stephon to get a ring too.

I'd have to root whoever is playing against the Celtics starting on Stephon's signing day.

Why would the Celtics do this anyway? They won it all as a team last year, and they would sign someone who is all about himself?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: If Marbury signs with the Celtics, Can you root for Garnett? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 pm

I like Garnett more than I hate Marbury, it really won't affect me cheering for the Celtics.
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Howler21 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm

I was thinking about this las night, im going to have to agree with you on this one. Seeing Steph sporting a ring would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

If it ends up coming down to Bos/LA again I probably won't even bothering tunning in. That said....KG is still Ticket 21 to me :D
deeney0
RealGM

Post#4 » by deeney0 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Of course I can, and will.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#5 » by casey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't understand the Marbury hate. That was like 50 years ago, get over it.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Howler21
Senior

Post#6 » by Howler21 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 pm

casey wrote:I don't understand the Marbury hate. That was like 50 years ago, get over it.

To me, its not just about his time here. Nothing he has done since he left has softened how he is portrayed.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#7 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 pm

I really don't care. It doesn't concern me.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#8 » by john2jer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Garnett plays for the Celtics. I'm a Wolves fan. It was great seeing him get a ring last year, sure, but he's got one now. Why should I still root for Garnett to get another ring?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#9 » by revprodeji » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Calinks3 wrote:I really don't care. It doesn't concern me.

QFT---I am a wolves fan before a KG fan.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:38 pm

john2jer wrote:Garnett plays for the Celtics. I'm a Wolves fan. It was great seeing him get a ring last year, sure, but he's got one now. Why should I still root for Garnett to get another ring?

Why shouldn't you? It's not like Garnett getting another ring interferes with the Wolves winning anything. Garnett was the 1st great Wolf and showed tremendous loyalty to Minnesota. That doesn't mean you have to cheer for him, but I'm gonna.
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm

casey wrote:I don't understand the Marbury hate. That was like 50 years ago, get over it.

Casey,

It's not about Marbury hate. It's about choosing who you are willing to support/root for.

I find it difficult to root for a player who would refuse to play for his team and basically force them to tell him to stay away.

Now if there is some redemptive motivation here on Steph's part, then wonderful.

If Steph can accept being a bench player, then maybe there is.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#12 » by karch34 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:57 pm

I had a tough enough time rooting last year. I still like KG and Pierce has always been a favorite, but I have never liked the Celtics. With Marbury on the team I don't even want them winning a series. It's not just his leaving us, as I can attribute a lot of that to immaturity. The problem I have is he's never matured. The way he handled everything this year showed that he's the same as he's always been: all about himself.

Truthfully, I think you can still be a fan of KG and be grateful for all he did for the Wolves, but you don't have to feel obligated to root for the Celtics. If you disagree that's perfectly fine.
Howler21
Senior

Post#13 » by Howler21 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:12 pm

karch34 wrote:I had a tough enough time rooting last year. I still like KG and Pierce has always been a favorite, but I have never liked the Celtics. With Marbury on the team I don't even want them winning a series. It's not just his leaving us, as I can attribute a lot of that to immaturity. The problem I have is he's never matured. The way he handled everything this year showed that he's the same as he's always been: all about himself.

Truthfully, I think you can still be a fan of KG and be grateful for all he did for the Wolves, but you don't have to feel obligated to root for the Celtics. If you disagree that's perfectly fine.

That is the best way to sum it up.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#14 » by TrentTuckerForever » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Yes. Although I don't think the Celts will win it all this year... I think it's going to come down to Cavs/Lakers.

Posey > Marbury
PJ Brown > Moore

Rondo is better than he was last year, and maybe Ray Allen is healthier, but other than that the Celts are the same or worse than last year. Cleveland is a MUCH more balanced team with Mo Williams, and LeBron is just ridiculous this year. Off the charts, he's the runaway MVP IMO.

So I'll still cheer for KG, I just expect his team to lose in the Eastern Conference Finals, Marbury or no Marbury.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,641

Post#15 » by shrink » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:02 pm

I hate Marbury, and won't be happy until he is destitute. How much does that greedy Starbury going to make now? Since he got kicked off the knicks and bought out, I can't think he's got any marketing potential. It's Marbury vs Madison Avenue now, especially since he's with rival Bahston. I just hope that if he wins a ring, he doesn't start getting in on KG's commericals.

Did I write this before? I'd love it if Marbury calls up KG looking to join the Celtics, and he says,

"Hey steff .. how are you? Remember when you said comparing me to Amare was like comparing Craig Ehlo to Micheal Jordan? Good times .. good times. Well, good luck in your future endeavors -- they won't involve Celtics or rings."
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#16 » by TMo519 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Wanted to see KG win a ring, and now I've seen that. I still like Ticket, but I'm not really that big of a C's fan, so I'm not really rooting either way with them. If they win, cool. If they don't, cool. Marbury doesn't change that perspective for me.

I'm more intrigued to see how this whole KG-Steph reuniting thing goes and what they say in the media and all that.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't really care to be honest, if he earns it then great. I don't really have a rooting interest; I'm glad KG won one last year, but he doesn't need to win every season. I've got nothing against Marbury winning either, an NBA title is just a word and a bad piece of gaudy jewelry.

Now if Aliens landed on Earth and Marbury was elected representative of humanity to state our position, I'd be pissed. That honor should go to either me or Jeff Foxworthy so he can break the ice with some kickass redneck jokes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#18 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't really care to be honest, if he earns it then great. I don't really have a rooting interest; I'm glad KG won one last year, but he doesn't need to win every season. I've got nothing against Marbury winning either, an NBA title is just a word and a bad piece of gaudy jewelry.

I cheer for the Wolves to win the championship every season and whether they won the championship the season before wouldn't change that. After the Wolves, I cheer for KG. The fact that he won championship last season doesn't change anything.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#19 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm

after the Wolves, I just want to watch really high level competitive basketball. Frankly, when the Celtics were blowing out the Lakers in the deciding game last year, I didn't even watch the whole thing, it was boring and kind of depressing; I like KG, but I don't hate Kobe or Gasol and it was pretty lame.

And also - and I hate to have to go there with mah boy - but KG has forgotten the spirit of competition a bit it seems, I don't know what I think about the win-at-all-costs mentality. I don't think winning is important enough that you should overlook the respect for your opponent. Like when Tom Cruise gets defeated by the Samurai, and Katsumoto respects his ferocity and his own culture, and in turn Tom Cruise learns about the Bushido and then before you know it they're all homies. Respect for your opponent KG.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#20 » by casey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Dan's with the Wolves wrote:I find it difficult to root for a player who would refuse to play for his team and basically force them to tell him to stay away.

Psh. He hadn't played a minute all season and the only reason he was going to be playing is because the Knicks just made a trade and didn't have enough players to suit up without him. They gave up on him way before he gave up on them.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves