9%

Total votes: 11

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,987

VOTE: Pick a Pick 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sun Mar 1, 2009 4:29 pm

Which would you rather have? Please VOTE

Future MIN 1st (top 10 protected until 2012) .. currently won't be conveyed in 2009.

or

2009 MIA 1st (top 10 prot in 09, top 6 in '10, unprotected '11) .... currently #18 in 2009.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

20. DAL 35-23
19. ATL 33-25
18. MIA 31-27
17. PHI 29-29
16. DET 28-29
15. MIL 29-23
14. PHO 33-25
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Re: VOTE: Pick a Pick 

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Sun Mar 1, 2009 4:36 pm

ok, you have an angle. What is it?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,987

Post#3 » by shrink » Sun Mar 1, 2009 4:48 pm

revprodeji wrote:ok, you have an angle. What is it?

LOL! No real angle. There's a guy on the trade board that keeps making trades that have us getting back our future pick, by trading the MIA pick plus some other asset. It got me to thinking about how close or far away different Wolves fans might view a straight up trade, and whether the values were close enough for either us or LAC to see a potential trade on draft night, if we see our targets get drafted before we pick. It also made me wonder where MIN fans are on the value of the MIA pick right now, as they look at the 2009 draft class.
[classik]
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by [classik] » Sun Mar 1, 2009 5:09 pm

I would rather have our pick back. When you look at the standings, there is a decent chance that we end up with Utah's pick (if my math is right, they are 1 game behind Houston for the 7th best record in the league). Four first round picks in the draft would not be ideal for both talent (everything I have read has this draft lacking depth) and also the additional committed salaries.

I see the value being equal in terms of trade value. #18-20 this year would be about equal to #12-14 (projected) in 2 years.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Sun Mar 1, 2009 5:21 pm

If you are asking if we would rather have the 18# this year, or our own next year then that is a clear answer, but the protection on our is brilliant. If we suck we get the pick, if we get better then we most likely would have brought in the talent we needed to move.

Looking at next years draft, the players that appeal to me are players that could come out this year. Rubio-Holiday-Daye-

There are prospects that have a future, but how much? Malcolm Delaney is teague pt.2, Donatas Motiejunas is a prospect that I have spoken about in excitement before, but I am not sure he would be the best fit with this team. He is also likely a top-5/10 pick next year. Daye has all the talent, but lacks a brass pair, Jrue could come out this year or next. John Wall and Rubio are the studs.

Then there is the concern about roster spots. Maybe losing the Miami pick this year could benefit in that we need more roster spots?

It is tough, because I think we can get a quality pg with that 18th pick. There are so many pg prospects that fit the mid-rd that we know someone is going to slip. I would like to add Jrue or Curry to this team, but perhaps even more I would like the shot at a Rubio or Wall?

No idea sir.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#6 » by casey » Sun Mar 1, 2009 5:36 pm

Our future first will almost certainly be a higher pick than Miami's this year. And since we're gonna have three or four picks it's pretty likely that one or two of them will be traded anyways. So I guess I'd rather have that future pick back.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 1, 2009 5:39 pm

I'd rather have the Mia pick because next year we're gonna shock the world
TrueBlueMN
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#8 » by TrueBlueMN » Sun Mar 1, 2009 5:57 pm

Id rather have our own... This draft is weak.
http://dunkingwithwolves.com/

"Anything Is POSSIBLE!"
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#9 » by john2jer » Sun Mar 1, 2009 10:03 pm

I'll comment more later, just passing by right now, but I think it's so clear that the Miami pick is better to have, I don't even understand the debate.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Mcfale313
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#10 » by Mcfale313 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 10:13 pm

our own, we clearly will finish........well lets say.....at a better lottery position than Miami, lol
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by revprodeji » Mon Mar 2, 2009 2:31 am

TrueBlueMN wrote:Id rather have our own... This draft is weak.

Weak at the top and in general depth but it has a strength in prospect pg's at the mid-late range. Which is a position we should target with the Miami pick.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#12 » by john2jer » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:07 pm

Miami's pick should be sitting around 18th, our pick will most likely be 12th-14th, if not worse in 2011. So we'd basically be giving up talent, or taking on a bad contract in order to move up 4 spots 2 years from now? That honestly makes no sense to me.

People talk about how weak this draft is, and honestly I don't think it's that weak. There's just not a large number of WOW players at the top, but I think it's kind of deep, maybe just not as deep as last year.

We're looking at guys like maybe Evans, Summers, Lawson, Collison, DeRozan, and Turner. Those guys are a hell of a lot better than guys like Paul Grant, Ndubi Ebi, and Will Avery, guys we drafted with mid-1st picks in the past. People are so spoiled by the last few drafts of Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, and company that they think anything not on that level means the draft is weak. Plenty of rotation players and quality prospects in this draft.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves