Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this,

Monta Ellis
Ronny Turiaf
Brandon Wright

for

Mike Miller (exp)
Brian Cardinal (exp)
Randy Foye

I love Monta Ellis from last year. He shot 53% from the field. He is a lot like Tony Parker. If we could land Harden in the draft, we would have an outstanding back court going into the future. He is injured this year, but he is a much more consistent player than Foye. Since he gets most of his points in the paint, it may take some time to mix in with Jefferson however. Turiaf would be outstanding to rotate with Jefferson and Love. He compliments both well. Brandon Wright would simply add more length and athleticism.

For GS. From the wiretap, it sounds like Ellis wants out. Turiaf, while good, is signed to a rather large contract considering his role and Nellie doesn't want anything to do with Wright. This deal allows them to cut a bunch of salary and start from scratch with Foye, Randolph and Beans as building blocks. Miller and Foye would thrive in Nellie's system as well.

Turiaf / Jefferson
Jefferson / Love / Wright
Brewer / Gomes / Wright
Harden / Brewer
Ellis / Telfair / Brown
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: Cashing in Min/GS 

Post#2 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:05 pm

Wright's the only one the really interests me. Turiaf isn't good enough with enough potential to justify taking minutes from Jefferson and Love. Ellis is a bit of a headcase, lying about his injury, now basically packing his bags and leaving in protest? What a b-word.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#3 » by mandurugo » Fri Mar 6, 2009 7:28 pm

I don't think that GS would do that deal - Monta is the best player by far (assuming he bounces back from the injury). I also agree that Turiaf would be a good help to both Jefferson and Love, he's a far better defensive player than either of them. He's also bigger and more physical than both of them, though still not quite big enough perhaps.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:01 pm

Monta is friends with Al...

I think GS would like it more to get a pick rather than Foye. Maybe even pekovic. (he would look nice next to AB)
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#5 » by B Calrissian » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:36 pm

On draft day I would do something like Miller/Telfair/Wolves 1st (6th) for Ellis/Wright.

Belinelli/Jennings/Telfair
Crawford/Miller/Azubuike
Jackson/Maggette/Morrow
Randolph/Turiaf
Biendrins/Thabeet

Ellis/Brown/Boston pick (Flynn?)
Foye/Miami pick (Turner?)
Brewer/Gomes
Wright/Smith/Cardinal
Jefferson/Love/Madsen
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#6 » by theGreatRC » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:37 pm

I'd do that trade so fast..with Foye or a pick.

Monta+Al would be sick.....
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#7 » by Krapinsky » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:49 pm

If this is the direct we are going, I would rather just draft Teague (assuming 5-7) and use Foye/Miller/Cardinal to get someone else.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:52 pm

We have had this talk before. Monta is the projection for Teague but he is much smaller and less athletic.
rick_21
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#9 » by rick_21 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 8:59 pm

I don't like the trade at all.

Monta is a great player but I don't see the improvement over Foye. Monta can´t hit the outside shoot, and we need shooters to take advantage of the spaces that Big Al and Love will create in the defense. Moreover Monta is not a PG so we'll still lacking a true point guard (which is essential) and we´ll have no cap space to fix that because of Monta's hyper-contract

Apart from that we'll give another good shooter in Miller and all our expirings. No please

I don't understand what many of you see in Brandan Wright. Another raw PF who doesn't play defense at all and has done nothing in the league so far. That's exactly what we need, uh?

Bad trade for both teams IMO
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#10 » by Krapinsky » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:09 pm

revprodeji wrote:We have had this talk before. Monta is the projection for Teague but he is much smaller and less athletic.

I don't think Monta is more athletic at all. They are both very athletic players. Teague is also a better shooter. Teague is just more of a 1 than a 2, and Monta is more of a 2 than a 1. Also factor in Ellis' recent immaturity and Teague becomes the safer long term investment IMO.

prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#11 » by prefuse73 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:24 pm

Thats a good point, I haven't done any research on the incoming draft class other than seeing that none of them are a true PG. Harden or Teague would fit well with Foye in a two combo guard back court. Do we think that will work? I just was checking to test the waters. I agree that we need outside shooting which Monta does lack. His contract is pretty large, I just remember alot of us have been very high on him in the past. Foye's inconsistencies are bothering me and Monta, when healthy seems to be much better on that end.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#12 » by TrentTuckerForever » Fri Mar 6, 2009 10:43 pm

prefuse73 wrote:Monta Ellis
Ronny Turiaf
Brandon Wright

for

Mike Miller (exp)
Brian Cardinal (exp)
Randy Foye

Love Turiaf. Like Ellis, but he only looked good when he had Baron handling the ball all the time. He's got a lot of Leandro Barbosa to him... when you figure in the contract I'd personally rather have Foye. I'd pass.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Rakocevicftw
Junior
And1: 3

Post#13 » by Rakocevicftw » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:39 pm

Turiaf has shown himself to be absolutely awesome this year in GS. Truly one of the league's best defenders, and we'd finally have a shotblocker.

But Ellis? He'd need to be all the way back from the injury for me to be comfortable giving up all that cap flexibility.

This trade isn't out of the question though..... I'm just concerned that Ellis will never be the same.
Zach Randolph>Frye. Kevin Durant > Oden. Random guy off street> Pritchard.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#14 » by deeney0 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:53 pm

If Monta isn't healed, I don't want him. If Monta is back 100%, he's worth a lot more than this. Either way, no dice.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#15 » by J-Rich- » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:48 am

You guys can have ellis. Turiaf is more valuable than monta and is one of our leaders. Turiaf is really effective in any amount of minutes even if it's less than 15mpg plus he brings the team together with his personality
Iommi
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Iommi » Sat Mar 7, 2009 1:42 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:
revprodeji wrote:We have had this talk before. Monta is the projection for Teague but he is much smaller and less athletic.

I don't think Monta is more athletic at all. They are both very athletic players. Teague is also a better shooter. Teague is just more of a 1 than a 2, and Monta is more of a 2 than a 1. Also factor in Ellis' recent immaturity and Teague becomes the safer long term investment IMO.

Except for the part where George Teague is someone who's never played in the NBA and who could very well be a complete bust, and Monta is someone who's done things in the league before. A proven commodity is always safer than an incoming rookie.
Phat lip from tha Pharcyde
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#17 » by Krapinsky » Sat Mar 7, 2009 2:02 am

Well obV

but you still have to question whether a) Ellis's head is on straight, and b) whether he is a system guy. Just about any guard on Nellie's team can put up equivalent numbers given the minutes.

Teague is also $7 million/year cheaper and doesn't cost us Miller/Foye

Personally though, I don't want Teague or Ellis, but given the choice between trading Teague and Miller for Ellis, or Miller and Foye for Ellis, I would much rather not have Teague than Ellis.

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by revprodeji » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:55 pm

I think his head is on straight and his friendship with Al would help, but I do agree he is a system guy to a large degree. He is very young still, but we would committing to an undersized backcourt with Elles/Foye. Is the value there?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,590

Post#19 » by shrink » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:00 pm

His contract is $11 mil/year until 2014. That's a decent contract only if you're getting the fully healthy and responsible Monta Ellis on the court for the next 5 years.

GSW's in a horrible spot right now, if Ellis is really demanding a trade. Generally in these situations, a team rolls the dice on their investment, rather than take back pennies on the dollar (or in this case, have to give up assets to move that salary). Its an untenable amount of risk for a GM to risk such a big part of his team's future on one guy. The Warriors invested heavily, and they are going to get shafted, unless they are able to get the contract voided.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#20 » by Krapinsky » Sat Mar 7, 2009 5:10 pm

revprodeji wrote:I think his head is on straight and his friendship with Al would help, but I do agree he is a system guy to a large degree. He is very young still, but we would committing to an undersized backcourt with Elles/Foye. Is the value there?

The OP has Foye going out in said deal, but we could probably leave Foye and Wright out if they were just looking to dump Monta's contract

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves