ImageImageImage

Officlal Prospect thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Re: Officlal Prospect thread 

Post#1421 » by the_bruce » Sun Apr 4, 2010 5:20 am

shrink wrote:Which players have the chance to be a superstar?

If you were to simply rank ceilings (and not worry about average or floors, or likelyhood), what's your order?

True superstar i.e. top 5 player potential?

probably only...
Wall
Favors
Whiteside

Other Guys I Like. Monroe, Turner, & Cousins don't have the elite level athletic ability that Superstars typically have. Wall Favors and whiteside all have that edge and thus the superstar potential. Theres always the chance that athletic ability edge goes more gerald green than anything useful.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#1422 » by Foye » Sun Apr 4, 2010 9:18 am

cpfsf wrote::reporter: :reporter: :reporter:

http://www.ktka.com/news/2010/mar/29/aldrich-press-conference-set-330-pm/

Aldrich said he would be attending many individual NBA workouts with teams. He said he hoped he was a lottery pick, and of course, would love to play for his hometown team, the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Trade up with Charlotte's pick for him. We need size. :rockon:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,965

Post#1423 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 4, 2010 11:10 am

the_bruce wrote:True superstar i.e. top 5 player potential?

probably only...
Wall
Favors
Whiteside

Other Guys I Like. Monroe, Turner, & Cousins don't have the elite level athletic ability that Superstars typically have. Wall Favors and whiteside all have that edge and thus the superstar potential. Theres always the chance that athletic ability edge goes more gerald green than anything useful.

Remember when Brandon Roy would never be a superstar because he didn't have superior athletic ability.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#1424 » by the_bruce » Sun Apr 4, 2010 3:26 pm

Klomp wrote:Remember when Brandon Roy would never be a superstar because he didn't have superior athletic ability.

I wouldn't put Roy on superstar top 5 player level...

Kobe, LBJ, Howard, CP3, Wade

Plus Roy while Roy isn't an elite/freak level athlete, he's still an underrated athlete.

I'd put Roy on the next list of players..
Dirk, Granger, Durant, Bosh, Ellis, Melo

From that list I'd say only Durant in my eyes would be a potential superstar.

I guess it just depends how you define that upper level. It's my opinion that there are probably only 5(+/- 2) of those players in the league. That player is probably the #1 player at their respective position, or #2, probably never #3.

At SG theres easily Kobe, Wade ahead of Roy. Johnson/Roy are probably a dead heat @ #3 for me.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1425 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 5:37 pm

DX draft order updated ==> http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

I like that draft for the Wolves as is, but I would take Singler over Orton. I don't really care about the 2nd's, but I would go with Hobson and Benzig.

Flynn/Sessions
Turner/Brewer/Ellington
Singler/Robinson/Hobson
Jefferson/Love
Darko/Hollins

w/ $8M left for free agents (after Darko)

I know what you're all thinking -- you take Robinson at 16 and then start Singler over him? Well, yes, because we need a shooter there, and I like Robinson's value as someone who can also guard face up 4's that neither Jefferson or Love can. It sucks to just miss out on Henry and George, but I am just going by who's available at each DX pick. I'm intrigued by George so much that I might even take him even at 16 though.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#1426 » by horaceworthy » Mon Apr 5, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd take George at #16, although I'd prefer Gordon Hayward (his ability to move without the ball would fit great here, and I think his low % from beyond the arc will turn out to be a fluke). I wouldn't consider Robinson until the Utah pick, and even then I think there would be better guys left on the board.

Turner/Hayward/trade Utah pick for a future 1st, then go with Hobson/Zoubek in the 2nd round if the draft plays out similar to how DX is projecting it right now. If Vesely's available at #16 I think we'd be fools not to roll the dice and stash him in Europe for a bit, then go for one of Hayward/George/Ebanks/Singler/Robinson with the Utah pick.

Darko/Hollins/Zoubek
Jefferson/Love
Brewer/Hayward/Hobson
Turner/Ellington
Flynn/Sessions
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1427 » by Krapinsky » Mon Apr 5, 2010 11:30 pm

horaceworthy wrote:I'd take George at #16, although I'd prefer Gordon Hayward (his ability to move without the ball would fit great here, and I think his low % from beyond the arc will turn out to be a fluke). I wouldn't consider Robinson until the Utah pick, and even then I think there would be better guys left on the board.

Turner/Hayward/trade Utah pick for a future 1st, then go with Hobson/Zoubek in the 2nd round if the draft plays out similar to how DX is projecting it right now. If Vesely's available at #16 I think we'd be fools not to roll the dice and stash him in Europe for a bit, then go for one of Hayward/George/Ebanks/Singler/Robinson with the Utah pick.

Darko/Hollins/Zoubek
Jefferson/Love
Brewer/Hayward/Hobson
Turner/Ellington
Flynn/Sessions

It seems you have a high affinity for high BBIQ, low athleticism players. That's a very, very unalthletic team you've made there, with Zoubek, Jefferson, Love, Hayward, Hobson, Sessions, and Ellington lacking lateral quickness and athleticism. I think you need to mix it up a little bit. Robinson is an athletic freak and IMO is something our roster needs.

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#1428 » by Esohny » Mon Apr 5, 2010 11:59 pm

I might take George at 16 as well.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1429 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 6, 2010 1:45 am

Names I'm interested in from tonights game: Hayward, Zoubek, Scheyer
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1430 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 3:23 am

Singler's the only one I'm interested in. He'd be a steal in the late first. Zoubek in the 2nd would be fine too.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Post#1431 » by shrink » Tue Apr 6, 2010 4:41 am

Thanks for the upside assessment.

The reason I ask is that I think Kahn will be drafting in the hopes of finding a superstar. Trading good players for a potentially great one in Rubio seems par for the course. I think taking Flynn so early was another indicator. He also sees Jefferson as a second or third option (on offense).

MIN may struggle to attract a legit superstar like a LeBron or Kobe, so we may have to do what most teams do -- get their superstar in the draft. I think Kahn will conitnue to use the draft trying to find a superstar, passing on players that will probably be better, but who's upside is lower. I expect a few Ndudi Ebi's in our future, but if they can come with a superstar, I won't be second-guessing the strategy.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#1432 » by slinky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 12:32 pm

I agree, I think Kahn is begging for a superstar to fall in his lap, either via trade or the draft. If indeed this is his strategy, my biggst fear is reaching for a player. If the wolves got the 2nd pick and Wall was picked 1st...would Kahn draft Turner arguably the best player in the draft or would he go for the 'Superstar' Favors? I would love to believe he would take Turner. But I agree with others, I dont think he is a superstar. I think of Evan Turner like Joe Johnson or Andre Iguoudala...great players, who make the team better, but not necessarily the guy who can carry a team.

Turner gives the wolves the best piece to add to what they currently have whereas a Wall or Favors might give the wolves the Superstar needed to build a whole new team around.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#1433 » by C.lupus » Tue Apr 6, 2010 2:02 pm

That's exactly why I want Kahn to make a bold move or two and get both. Draft Turner at #2 and use other assets (Jefferson, Love, Pekovic, Flynn, #16, #24, etc. ) that you know are solid players but not superstars to either move up and grab a Favors-type potential star or trade for a young player with star potential (Gay?).
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 4:15 pm

A short mix of my BOY, Paul GEORGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcmFdlrrXY

He's only 19.

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#1435 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Apr 6, 2010 4:52 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
horaceworthy wrote:I'd take George at #16, although I'd prefer Gordon Hayward (his ability to move without the ball would fit great here, and I think his low % from beyond the arc will turn out to be a fluke). I wouldn't consider Robinson until the Utah pick, and even then I think there would be better guys left on the board.

Darko/Hollins/Zoubek
Jefferson/Love
Brewer/Hayward/Hobson
Turner/Ellington
Flynn/Sessions

It seems you have a high affinity for high BBIQ, low athleticism players. That's a very, very unalthletic team you've made there, with Zoubek, Jefferson, Love, Hayward, Hobson, Sessions, and Ellington lacking lateral quickness and athleticism. I think you need to mix it up a little bit. Robinson is an athletic freak and IMO is something our roster needs.
Ellington is a pretty good athlete, just as good as O.J Mayo if not better... Really the only thing that seperates him and Mayo seems to be ball handling ability.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1436 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 4:54 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Darko/Hollins/Zoubek
Jefferson/Love
Brewer/Hayward/Hobson
Turner/Ellington
Flynn/Sessions

Ellington is a pretty good athlete, just as good as O.J Mayo if not better... Really the only thing that seperates him and Mayo seems to be ball handling ability.

I couldn't disagree more strongly.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1437 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 6, 2010 5:11 pm

Is it me, or did George seem a bit slow and methodical in his movement? Not a ton of foot peed

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1438 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 5:22 pm

Klomp wrote:Is it me, or did George seem a bit slow and methodical in his movement? Not a ton of foot peed

He has his flaws, sure. If he didn't he would be a top 5 pick. He's a sweet shooter with a lot of athleticism but he still needs to develop some lower body strength and give a more consistent effort.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1439 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 6:15 pm

I thought this was interesting ---

Keene Rosenthal (Lexington KY)

Hey, Chad. Can a team with a solid, young point guard (say NJ with Devin Harris for example) REALLY consider passing over John Wall if they land the #1 overall pick in the draft?
Chad Ford
(1:36 PM)

No. And no one would. I've spoken with someone from every front office in the lottery. All of them would take Wall. The only two possible exceptions are the Jazz and Hornets because of Deron Williams and Chris Paul. Wall is a better prospect than some other solid point guards like Harris, Jonny Flynn, Steph Curry and Brandon Jennings.

No consideration for Turner?

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#1440 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 6, 2010 6:26 pm

Re Favors --

Mitch Allen in Rochester, MN:
Who is the best center prospect this year aside from Cousins? His imaturity is a big concern for me, and my Wolves have 3 picks this year. A big man that can play some D should be high on the list.

Jonathan Givony:

In today's NBA I don't see why Derrick Favors can't see 15-20 minutes at the center position. He would actually compliment Al Jefferson and Kevin Love extremely well, as he can play alongside either guy and guard the tougher of the two frontcourt matchups. Jefferson and Love to me are both better suited to defending centers, so having a nimble and athletic guy like Favors who can hedge the pick and roll and rotate from the weakside to protect the paint could be exactly what they're missing.

Plus, can you imagine how good Favors and Rubio would be offensively on the pick and roll? Rubio made Jerome Moiso look like Dwight Howard for one season...Him and Favors together could be like Stockon and Malone...

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT ... z0kLVQOuws

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves