ImageImageImage

Hypothetical: 3rd pick.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Whiz Kid
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Hypothetical: 3rd pick. 

Post#21 » by Whiz Kid » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 am

Krapinsky wrote:Yeah that's quite a haul. Despite the always effective quality>quantity argument I would have to do that for #3. I wouldn't expect OKC to give up all of that though. The player they need is probably Aldrich. If they're making a trade it's probably for him at #6-8.

I have a hard time seeing any team saying "The player we REALLY need is Aldrich." He will likely be a solid pro, but difficult to see anyone viewing him as the the real difference maker.

I could see them thinking that Cousins would be a guy that could put them over the top. And if they offered Ibaka, Green AND Harden for #3 or #4 to get him, I would go for that. But I doubt they'd offer all of that. More likely they'd offer just Green and Harden, and in that case it is a much closer call.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#22 » by Krapinsky » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:30 am

Whiz Kid wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Yeah that's quite a haul. Despite the always effective quality>quantity argument I would have to do that for #3. I wouldn't expect OKC to give up all of that though. The player they need is probably Aldrich. If they're making a trade it's probably for him at #6-8.

I have a hard time seeing any team saying "The player we REALLY need is Aldrich." He will likely be a solid pro, but difficult to see anyone viewing him as the the real difference maker.

I could see them thinking that Cousins would be a guy that could put them over the top. And if they offered Ibaka, Green AND Harden for #3 or #4 to get him, I would go for that. But I doubt they'd offer all of that. More likely they'd offer just Green and Harden, and in that case it is a much closer call.

Disagree. Team is built with high character guys. They have enough offensive fire power. Only missing link b/t that team and future finals is a defensive presence like Aldrich. With Cousins too much can go wrong. He's not worth the risk for them.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#23 » by Narf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 am

Take it a step further.
NJ picks Wall #1
Golden State, the next most likely team, picks Turner #2.
Cousin's goes 3 to some team with the #7 slot
We pick #4.
Indiana picks #5

Now what? Golden State drafts another Guard? No one wants Monta Ellis's contract, they're stuck with him. No one wants Maggette's contract either, although they might be able to make some deal there. Randolph is in the doghouse, and their starting PF is Anthony Tolliver. Are you so sure we couldn't find a trade for Evan Turner with the 3rd or 4th pick? I'm not.

Favors + Al Jefferson + Brewer for Turner + Ellis + Maggette? Then they flip Randolph to another team for another 1st round pick. We take their 2 monster contracts for Al Jefferson and Brewer, which saves them millions. Then Kahn flips Ellis to NY for Eddie Curry and a future draft pick, and we trade Eddie for a cheaper contract to a team that thinks he's worth 3 mil a year and is willing to part with their dead weight at a discount for him. There, now we're talking moneyball.

They don't like Al? Well how about Love? Favors + Love + ?? for Turner + ???.

Or hell, how about we just draft Favors? I'm not exactly crying over that proposition. Trade the PF of your choice for Indiana's pick #5 and draft Favors and Wes Johnson instead. We sign Darko for 4 mil and have plenty of cap space.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#24 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm

I've got no interest in trading out of the top 5.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#25 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Yeah that's quite a haul. Despite the always effective quality>quantity argument I would have to do that for #3. I wouldn't expect OKC to give up all of that though.

I was kind of thinking this too when I proposed it. I would guess we'd have to give a little back to get all three of them. Two of the three probably wouldn't be enough, and all three may be too much.

Worm Guts wrote:I've got no interest in trading out of the top 5.

Curious who your top 5 currently are that none of them would be untradeable. There still is time for some of them to prove themselves untradeable, but I don't see it yet.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#26 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I've got no interest in trading out of the top 5.

Curious who your top 5 currently are that none of them would be untradeable. There still is time for some of them to prove themselves untradeable, but I don't see it yet.

I wouldn't say untradeable, but I think this is a high upside top of the draft. I don't want to trade out of it. Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, and Johnson are my top 5.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#27 » by revprodeji » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 pm

-Wall
-Turner
-Favors
-Cousins
-AFA

Just saying how I understand our board right now. Cousins mental stability is a concern. Favors is clearly a better athlete as well as a defender. Cousins has a special offensive gift.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#28 » by Esohny » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:05 pm

revprodeji wrote:-Wall
-Turner
-Favors
-Cousins
-AFA

Just saying how I understand our board right now. Cousins mental stability is a concern. Favors is clearly a better athlete as well as a defender. Cousins has a special offensive gift.

Wow, Aminu that high? It suppose it makes sense from the adding high level athletes viewpoint. I would imagine that Wes Johnson might probably be right outside of that group.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Apr 1, 2010 9:37 pm

Something like Granger + Ind #1 for 3rd pick + Flynn + Gomes + Hollins would probably be a decent trade down deal for both teams.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#30 » by jscott » Thu Apr 1, 2010 11:14 pm

I believe we try everything we can to trade up.

If that's a no go then.. I guess Favors or Johnson but I haven't seen either play very much.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Apr 2, 2010 1:44 am

I agree that we'd try to move up, depending on who would be ahead of us it might be possible.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#32 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Apr 2, 2010 1:44 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:Something like Granger + Ind #1 for 3rd pick + Flynn + Gomes + Hollins would probably be a decent trade down deal for both teams.

I doubt that'll get us Granger.

I think we would try everything to move up. Kahn tried to for Thabeet last year right? or was it Rubio?I think between Love, Pek, Gomes, Flynn, Sessions, and 3 1st round picks we could move up 1 spot. Would you do Flynn+3 for 2? would that be enough?
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#33 » by Esohny » Fri Apr 2, 2010 2:20 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:Something like Granger + Ind #1 for 3rd pick + Flynn + Gomes + Hollins would probably be a decent trade down deal for both teams.

I doubt that'll get us Granger.

I think we would try everything to move up. Kahn tried to for Thabeet last year right? or was it Rubio?I think between Love, Pek, Gomes, Flynn, Sessions, and 3 1st round picks we could move up 1 spot. Would you do Flynn+3 for 2? would that be enough?

It will depend heavily on who is picking at #2. Theoretically, if it's someone who is pretty set at wing but needs bigs (such as GSW), they might be willing to give up Turner for Cousins/Favors plus assets (probably not Flynn in that example though).
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves