ImageImageImage

DET - MIN again

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,742

DET - MIN again 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:48 pm

This idea was floated by eitanr, who is one of the strongest posters on the Trade Board.

eitanr wrote: In the grand scheme of things it would make more sense if DET is at 5 and those top 4 go like planned, to perhaps deal with Minny and try and get multiple picks back in the deal. Something like Wilcox and 5 FOR Sessions, Brewer, 17, 24 could gauge some interest on both sides.

I have to say, this has me VERY interested. However, I think it can be improved, if we include Pekovic. He seems like a really good fit for DET, a team that wants Al, and we don't have the minutes to carry both Al and Pek. This would ironically be the third draft in a row we traded for the #5 pick.

Pekovic + #15 + #25 for #5 + Wilcox?
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Re: DET - MIN again 

Post#2 » by princeofpalace » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:50 pm

Zero interest out of Detroit

The chances of getting someone interesting at 15 and 25 is lower than it would be at 5 and Pekovic isn't of much interest

Furthermore, Wilcox is an expiring. To even consider a deal like this its Charlie V's deal that would be dangled
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 1, 2010 1:52 pm

I would do it, but I can't see Detroit doing it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#4 » by shrink » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't think most people outside of MIN know Pekovic.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#5 » by princeofpalace » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:03 pm

shrink wrote:I don't think most people outside of MIN know Pekovic.

So why propose a trade where he is the centerpiece?

I really think this is a case of a player having more value to his team than elsewhere....
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:15 pm

princeofpalace wrote:

I really think this is a case of a player having more value to his team than elsewhere....

I disagree with both statements. Pekovic is known by wolves fans, but he doesn't have as much value here because he doesn't fit if we still have Al Jefferson. However, that's a position of need for DET. I think there is too much duplication of talent with eitanr's original trade, since I don't think the Pistons really need Sessions or Brewer.

And why propose a trade? I don't propose trades to be popular - I propose trades that I think make sense to both teams. There is value in speaking what a poster thinks is the truth, and hoping that others will not oppose it out of ignorance, but instead educate themselves to it.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#7 » by princeofpalace » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:25 pm

shrink wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:

I disagree with both statements. Pekovic is known by wolves fans, but he doesn't have as much value here because he doesn't fit if we still have Al Jefferson. However, that's a position of need for DET. I think there is too much duplication of talent with eitanr's original trade, since I don't think the Pistons really need Sessions or Brewer.

And why propose a trade? I don't propose trades to be popular - I propose trades that I think make sense to both teams. There is value in speaking what a poster thinks is the truth, and hoping that others will not oppose it out of ignorance, but instead educate themselves to it.

I think you misunderstand

Pekovic has more value to Wolves than other teams such as Detroit. Yes Detroit needs a big but there is no reason that Pekovic is a more interesting prospect than a guy like Cole Aldrich or Hassan Whiteside. You are high on him because you own him but I see no reason to value him more than any of the bigs currently in the draft. Scola got traded for a 2nd round pick yet Pekovic can be the centerpiece in a trade for the 5th pick? Id rather take a look at Tiago Splitter but even then not in a package for the 5th pick

If Wolves landed the 5th pick would you really trade him for a decent foreign prospect and 2 later firsts?
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:46 pm

princeofpalace wrote: If Wolves landed the 5th pick would you really trade him for a decent foreign prospect and 2 later firsts?

First, thanks for not going off on me for my clumsy wording last post. I wasn't trying to call you ignorant as a perjorative term, but that people in general don't have knowledge about Pekovic. The word "ignorant" now is used more as an insult, and I didn't mean it that way, and should have used a different term. Thanks for not going off on me for it.

Let me restate your question. If the "decent foreign prospect" was Rubio + two later 1sts? Well, MIN traded the #5 for Rubio without even getting the future 1sts.

The question then becomes whether Pekovic is in the Rubio class. Hollinger would probably say "yes." He would have drafted him #3 (ahead of Kevin Love and OJ Mayo) if he was coming over next season. Pek certainly doesn't have Rubio's hype, and he should be valued lower, but I think he's closer to Rubio than just being called a "decent foreign prospect." Two years ago, DraftExpress had him listed as #3 on their list of best foreign players owned by NBA teams, and Pekovic has increased his value since then with championships and mvps.

A lot of posters here are willing to move Al Jefferson because they have the security blanket of creating minutes for Pekovic. We're familiar with both, and if I'm DET, I think that makes Pekovic worth researching.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#9 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 1, 2010 3:08 pm

If Po'P doesn't know anything about him than he's obviously not worth a damn to anyone.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
LOBO 7
Bench Warmer
And1: 49

Post#10 » by LOBO 7 » Thu Apr 1, 2010 3:08 pm

I think one of the most interesting developments this offseason will be seeing how much we can get back for Pekovic. I, for one, am starting to lean towards keeping both Al and Love and resigning Darko, and taking that big man rotation to the bank, then using all other assets to improve our wing play. That said, I would definitely like this trade (shrink's idea). However, it will be really hard to guage Pekovic's value on these boards because no other fan base really knows anything about Pekovic's value. I would like to think that front offices value Pekovic more highly than fan bases, but I guess we have no way of knowing that and will have to wait and see. But I am in favor of moving Pekovic, and I have a hunch that Kahn is too, so we'll see....
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#11 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Apr 1, 2010 4:32 pm

LOBO 7 wrote:I, for one, am starting to lean towards keeping both Al and Love and resigning Darko, and taking that big man rotation to the bank, then using all other assets to improve our wing play.

Is this opinion a little tainted by the fact that we played Sacramento last night and all three of them had double doubles, or were you thinking about it before the last 24 hours?

I thought the same thing last night that those 3 could man the 4/5 position. Rubio + (Sessions or Flynn) could man the 1. That would just leave us needing two starting level wing players to go with Brewer (and some Ellington) which seems like an obtainable goal for the offseason.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#12 » by LordBaldric » Thu Apr 1, 2010 4:51 pm

Get real guys. A Darko/Jeff/Love rotation is a no go. The minute we let Kevin know he's a long term bench player on this team is the minute his agent demands a trade.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#13 » by funkatron101 » Thu Apr 1, 2010 4:52 pm

From what I hear (baring in mind I've seen little of him except for highlights), I might want to try rolling with Darko, Love and Pekovic and trade Al.

Signing Pekovic Pros:
He could match Al's offensive game from this year (17 ppg)
He doesn't need 8 seconds to set up his shot.
He might have an easier transition with the Wolves' style of play.
He'll be much cheaper than Al.

Cons:
Wolves will likely lose some rebounding production
We don't know if Pekovic can be as productive on an NBA level
We might be selling Al low.

The issue is selling Detroit on the idea of Al and finding a way for them to move some of their salary so it's not such a financial burden. Meanwhile not sticking MN with bad contracts.

Gordon, Villanueva, Prince and/or Hamilton need to be moved.

Villanueva would have no place on the Wolves IMO. Too much logjam.
Gordon could be a fit, it all depends on if we end up with the #2 pick or not. High price for his current production.
Prince has been discussed enough. Looking for something different.
Not really interested in Hamilton.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:00 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Get real guys. A Darko/Jeff/Love rotation is a no go. The minute we let Kevin know he's a long term bench player on this team is the minute his agent demands a trade.

+1
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#15 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:09 pm

C.lupus wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:Get real guys. A Darko/Jeff/Love rotation is a no go. The minute we let Kevin know he's a long term bench player on this team is the minute his agent demands a trade.

+1

So either we trade him before or after his agent makes a demand. Doesn't really matter in the long run.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:09 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
The minute we let Kevin know he's a long term bench player on this team is the minute his agent demands a trade.

No. He doesn't have that type of leverage. What is he gonna do, sit out the next 3 seasons?
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#17 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:12 pm

A Darko/Love/Pekovic front court is a no go for me. We would still be lacking athleticism and have no one to guard athletic PF's, which is a player more than half the league has.

I'm still down to trade Love for Randolph. A Randolph/Jefferson/Darko front court would be sweet.

Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#18 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:17 pm

funkatron101 wrote:From what I hear (baring in mind I've seen little of him except for highlights), I might want to try rolling with Darko, Love and Pekovic and trade Al.

Signing Pekovic Pros:
He could match Al's offensive game from this year (17 ppg)
He doesn't need 8 seconds to set up his shot.
He might have an easier transition with the Wolves' style of play.
He'll be much cheaper than Al.

Cons:
Wolves will likely lose some rebounding production
We don't know if Pekovic can be as productive on an NBA level
We might be selling Al low.

The issue is selling Detroit on the idea of Al and finding a way for them to move some of their salary so it's not such a financial burden. Meanwhile not sticking MN with bad contracts.

Gordon, Villanueva, Prince and/or Hamilton need to be moved.

Villanueva would have no place on the Wolves IMO. Too much logjam.
Gordon could be a fit, it all depends on if we end up with the #2 pick or not. High price for his current production.
Prince has been discussed enough. Looking for something different.
Not really interested in Hamilton.

Also another con is Pek is currently only a 20 minute a night type player. We'd also have to know that Darko and Pek would be willing to co-exist as teammates. Theres a decent amount of animosity between certain Yugo nationalities, and we wouldn't want to get stuck in the middle of something bad.

If as a basketball team, we determine that we are going to be better with Pek on the court than Jefferson, I don't see anything wrong with selling low on Jefferson. I would try to keep from taking bad contracts back in return however.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#19 » by LordBaldric » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:23 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
LordBaldric wrote:
The minute we let Kevin know he's a long term bench player on this team is the minute his agent demands a trade.

No. He doesn't have that type of leverage. What is he gonna do, sit out the next 3 seasons?

First of all, he can say that he will refuse to resign here, which torpedoes his value to us. Second, as our player with by far the most media exposure on our team, he will have countless opportunities to stir up trouble.

In the NBA, malcontented players tend to get their wish of being traded.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:28 pm

Refusing to sign doesn't do much at this point, he's under contract for the next 2 season, then he's a restricted free agent. Anyway, I don't think he'd demand a trade over not starting ,at least not next year, he might over not playing maybe. He'd bitch about it, but demanding trade seems unlikely to me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves