ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:New York Rangers Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: OT:New York Rangers Stanley Cup Playoff Thread 

Post#161 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed May 21, 2014 3:46 am

Well we naturally assume popularity has to do with winning. The Knicks have been an awful franchise and do not deserve 1/1000th the faith their fans put in it and yet, there's more attention over Raymond Felton than Lundqvst.
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#162 » by BloodyNose » Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well we naturally assume popularity has to do with winning. The Knicks have been an awful franchise and do not deserve 1/1000th the faith their fans put in it and yet, there's more attention over Raymond Felton than Lundqvst.

hockey is a game of will at a certain point. Teams at this point are usually very close but whoever mans up and plays tough usually wins the game. The kings were down 3-0 vs the sharks but won 4 straight. You are never guaranteed a win in hockey and have to earn every bit of it. In basketball you can be just be worse than a team, a few whistles the wrong way and the game is over. It is very difficult to pick the finals of an nhl season from the start, but you can easily pick the matchup for an nba final.

All that being said, to me hockey is harder to watch during the regular season, and watching a player develop isn't as satisfying as watching a player develop in the nba.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 19,035

Post#163 » by j4remi » Wed May 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:In hockey, every team has "great players" but those are NEVER the difference makers in a grueling Stanley Cup run.

Guys like Kreider, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Klein are the KEY cogs to this Rangers grind'em/hit'em lunch box squad.

McDonagh and Kreider are both on the verge of being great players imo (Kreider is so perfect for this system that it's scary). The real shockers for me have been Moore and Boyle...I had almost no expectations for them but they've been great and Pouliot has been clutch too.
Haliburton/Sasser/Nunez
Murray/Dick/Christie
Hunter/Walker/George
Kuzma/Washington/Clowney
Zubac/Theis/Sanogo
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,450

Post#164 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed May 21, 2014 2:39 pm

j4remi wrote:McDonagh and Kreider are both on the verge of being great players imo (Kreider is so perfect for this system that it's scary). The real shockers for me have been Moore and Boyle...I had almost no expectations for them but they've been great and Pouliot has been clutch too.

I've watched The Rangers for years. A lot of us Ranger fans always call for Boyle to be traded. But come playoff time, this guy does everything right and contributes consistently. He's a money type of player. You sort of wish Boyle would play like this during the regular season and he never does.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#165 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed May 21, 2014 3:12 pm

This is the kind of team that Knicks fans wish, they had. You have 3-4 budding stars, one franchise guy, and 3 name brands.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#166 » by The_Special_One » Wed May 21, 2014 3:15 pm

j4remi wrote:Kreider is so perfect for this system that it's scary.

Every time I remember Kreider playing under Torts system... Ugh!
NYSPORTSNUCCA
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#167 » by NYSPORTSNUCCA » Wed May 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:This is the kind of team that Knicks fans wish, they had. You have 3-4 budding stars, one franchise guy, and 3 name brands.

I'd take the 1 budding star and 1 franchise player.., brand name? ehhhhhh...,

Hell.., just give me 6-7 consistent players that you can always rely on to do what they do and let the coach sort it out. In the East.., that can be all you need.
three2theD wrote:
I've been on the THjr bandwagon since summer league, and I would trade him for Rondo. IMO Rondo is the third best PG in the NBA after Curry and CP3.
I doubt anything happens though.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#168 » by knickabocker88 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers tickets are impossible to get. Hockey fans are another breed entirely. I love going to any hockey game that I can. My second favorite sport after baseball.

And once again, the ONLY team in NYC to make the playoffs thus far.

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-rangers ... 4-8993854/

:o
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#169 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed May 21, 2014 8:17 pm

NYSPORTSNUCCA wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:This is the kind of team that Knicks fans wish, they had. You have 3-4 budding stars, one franchise guy, and 3 name brands.

I'd take the 1 budding star and 1 franchise player.., brand name? ehhhhhh...,

Hell.., just give me 6-7 consistent players that you can always rely on to do what they do and let the coach sort it out. In the East.., that can be all you need.

Nash, Richards, and St. Louis are not the same guys billed when they came into the league but the Rangers got them at a modest point and they do finish unlike Chandler, Stoudemire, Bargnani.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#170 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers tickets are impossible to get. Hockey fans are another breed entirely. I love going to any hockey game that I can. My second favorite sport after baseball.

And once again, the ONLY team in NYC to make the playoffs thus far.

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-rangers ... 4-8993854/

:o

Unreal prices...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#171 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Going into Game 3 at the Garden, rocking/socking all over the place...I like the fact that the Rangers get 2 days off. After 2 series going 7, this is the Rangers' prime opportunity to get ahead of the competition, MAYBE seal the deal early.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#172 » by kingquan316 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 pm

I'm not into hockey as much, which are the budding star, franchise guy, and name brands on the rangers?
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,450

Post#173 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 am

The budding stars are McDonagh, Krieder, and Zuccarello (could add Girardi and Stahl in that mix), the franchise guy is Lundquist and the name brands are Richards, St. Louis and Nash.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,581

Post#174 » by EnigmatiC » Thu May 22, 2014 3:10 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Going into Game 3 at the Garden, rocking/socking all over the place...I like the fact that the Rangers get 2 days off. After 2 series going 7, this is the Rangers' prime opportunity to get ahead of the competition, MAYBE seal the deal early.

Do you think the extra time could mess with their momentum/groove?
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#175 » by BloodyNose » Thu May 22, 2014 3:16 am

EnigmatiC wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Going into Game 3 at the Garden, rocking/socking all over the place...I like the fact that the Rangers get 2 days off. After 2 series going 7, this is the Rangers' prime opportunity to get ahead of the competition, MAYBE seal the deal early.

Do you think the extra time could mess with their momentum/groove?

to be honest montreal is the sort of team that just willed there way past boston, and played them extremely tough to get away with that series. Price was a huge reason montreal got to where they are and without him i can't see new york losing. To me its weird seeing this new york team make it this far. Funny how not having a douchebag as a coach (torts), whos act wears thin with players quickly now a days. Last year new york was that weakling team that made it to the 2nd round. I would have put a lot of money on philly winning game 7 if torts was still the coach
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#176 » by ElMatatan » Thu May 22, 2014 4:46 pm

We have to finish them in NY.
NY State of Mind
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#177 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu May 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Yea, let Chicago and LA beat each other senseless. Rangers need to take care of business tonight. The sooner they clinch, the sooner they can rest, regroup, and get ready.

Of course Price is a key cog in Montreal but in NHL playoffs something has to break right, the level of competition is SO TIGHT that seedings mean nothing.

The Rangers went back to back game 7s...think about the number of times this team has gone to game seven and survived...and being down 3-1 to the Pens, playing 4 games in last 5 nights, this team POWERS through and advances.

As I said, the Knicks MUST earn the right to be talked about. The Rangers DESERVE the attention.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#178 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 23, 2014 12:57 am

While every one speculates about the Knicks' fortunes, 1-0 Rangers.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#179 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 23, 2014 1:27 am

Crap 1-1. Mount real ties it up.
Gregory151
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#180 » by Gregory151 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:52 am

Woooow lol
"We’ll find a way to either make him a very useful player in our organization, or whatever"

Return to New York Rangers