Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,498

Re: RE: Re: The Head Coach Search Thread 

Post#101 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:44 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Yeah, I don't understand how the Minnesota job isn't attractive.

You get a chance to develop and coach two very good young players. It also sounds like they're willing to go with a POBO/HC like SVG.

Another offseason of internal growth and signing someone like Harrison Barnes should have them competing for the 8th spot in the West, as long as they're playing in the right system.

The only way it's unattractive is if you don't like the weather or if you don't believe KAT and Wiggins won't develop into players who can attract other players.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

i think its understated the location, especially for a coach who is likely looking at this as a long term stint. as far as attracting talent, i think wiggins/towns are more likely to get attracted elwhere then to attract guys to minnesota... similar to how it went when KG/Marbury where young players entering their primes and KG looking like an MVP.

unless the guy is from the area, or doesnt have many options, you usually dont see high profile guys go to places like minnesota. id think someone like say thibs would 100% take the knicks job before considering minnesota

If he were a player, I would think your belief is plausible but in this current era, we're even seeing players prefer winning situations over location.

But considering that Thibs is a coach who mainly cares about on-court production, I don't see the allure of big cities being a problem. And let's not act like it's Minneapolis is some hole in the wall city. It's got a metropolitan population of over 3.8 million (14th largest in the nation according to 2014 data).

I don't know how a guy like Thibs would bypass two super-young stud players who he can groom into an allstar duo, the chance to dialog with a proxy-coach/mentor in KG everyday (with whom he already has an established relationship), and POBO responsibilities.

Yup yup. Was thinking almost identical even before the Thibs wiretap.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,371

Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#102 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:47 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Mkdaman1818 wrote:I'd love to see Atkinson get his hands on Thad. Thad looks like has so much energy and raw ability, he just seems lost half the time. If Atkinson can develop him into Millsap-lite or Carroll-lite, I'd be thrilled.

Millsap is an allstar with great ballhandling and ISO capabilities. He's a threat from all over the court. There's 0 chance of Thad becoming Millsap or even Millsap-lite.

Last year's version of Carroll was an elite 3&D player. His presence alone killed us when we played against them.

Last year's version of Thad had the 3-point shot but he's nowhere close to the defense Carroll brings. Thad needs to buy into being a good team defender before we talk about him being a good single-coverage lockdown defender like Carroll was.

Atkinson is a development coach, not a miracle worker lol.

Yeah, lets not expect water into wine here :lol:

what you'd ideally want is for guys to show up a lot earlier than usual to work with the coach to see if he can find some areas that can be marginally improved from the vets.

And yeah, Milsap is a legit B+ tier stud. He was giving Boston's front line a whipping the other night :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm pretty sure that Brook will be adding a 3pt shot to his skillset anyway in the next few years, if not starting next season. He has been working on his 3pt shot over the past couple years and he has the shooting touch to get there.

I'm not buying that Lopez will ever be a serious threat from 3.

His release is way too slow and requires too much arm motion for him to be able to get multiple good, clean looks off on a regular basis.

I do want him to continue to work on it as a bailout type of shot solely for corner 3s. I do not want see him launching 3s with any sort of regularity during the game. There's a reason why he laughs when he takes and makes it. He knows that making 3s in a game is much harder than in the practice.

Thad's 3pt shooting really needs to improve though if he wants to take the next step as a player. It would do wonders for his game if he developed a consistent 3pt shot. He has a lot of work to do tho to develop a consistent 3 pt shot.

Thad shot 38% from 3 in his time with us last season on decent volume (0.7 3PM/1.8 3PA). I think he's already shown that he's capable of doing it.

In fact, Thad's 3pt% seems to increase as he increases his volume. Whenever he has taken 1.5+ 3PApg in a season, he has shot at least 33% from 3. That's decent especially if he's relegated to the 7th man role, which he would occupy on a good team.
His release being slow is not a big issue because as a center, he will have space and time to shoot 3s if he wanted. His slow release doesnt affect him from being a good/decent midrange shooter. He has the shooting touch, if he puts serious work in, he can become a 3pt threat. Al horford became a 3pt threat this year despite having a slow release. Brook has the talent to do the same.

As for Thad, he is just not a good 3pt shooter. He shot well for us from there last season but that was a small sample size on low volume. This season, he wasnt a 3pt threat at all.

To be fair, Thad was more focused on playing around the rim instead of shooting threes. I'd like to see some balance there myself, he can hit the shot. Maybe not a blazing clip, but its still a weapon that can be utilized.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#104 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:51 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm pretty sure that Brook will be adding a 3pt shot to his skillset anyway in the next few years, if not starting next season. He has been working on his 3pt shot over the past couple years and he has the shooting touch to get there.

I'm not buying that Lopez will ever be a serious threat from 3.

His release is way too slow and requires too much arm motion for him to be able to get multiple good, clean looks off on a regular basis.

I do want him to continue to work on it as a bailout type of shot solely for corner 3s. I do not want see him launching 3s with any sort of regularity during the game. There's a reason why he laughs when he takes and makes it. He knows that making 3s in a game is much harder than in the practice.

Thad's 3pt shooting really needs to improve though if he wants to take the next step as a player. It would do wonders for his game if he developed a consistent 3pt shot. He has a lot of work to do tho to develop a consistent 3 pt shot.

Thad shot 38% from 3 in his time with us last season on decent volume (0.7 3PM/1.8 3PA). I think he's already shown that he's capable of doing it.

In fact, Thad's 3pt% seems to increase as he increases his volume. Whenever he has taken 1.5+ 3PApg in a season, he has shot at least 33% from 3. That's decent especially if he's relegated to the 7th man role, which he would occupy on a good team.
His release being slow is not a big issue because as a center, he will have space and time to shoot 3s if he wanted. His slow release doesnt affect him from being a good/decent midrange shooter. He has the shooting touch, if he puts serious work in, he can become a 3pt threat. Al horford became a 3pt threat this year despite having a slow release. Brook has the talent to do the same.

He would have space and time to shoot his 3s because he'd magically be left open?

His release time wouldn't matter because what? You think he's too tall for a player to adequately get a hand into his face?

The quickness of one's release and the position of your lower body (from which you generate power to shoot the longer distance shots) has everything to do with how repeatable a player's 3pt shot is and their likelihood of taking and making a shot.

I don't know how you can discount those things. That's what basketball coaches work on with shooters. This is what I work on myself and with other guys who are machines at shooting 3s and have markedly improved their 3pt shooting precisely because of those things.

The slower Brook's release is and the longer it takes for him to get into his base for a 3 gives his defender more time to get up into him and affect his level of comfort in taking a 3, which is half of the battle when trying to make those shots.

Shooting midrange jumpers are nothing like shooting 3s. If you watch just about every capable 3pt shooter, the midrange shooting form is actually pretty different from their 3pt stroke.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Brook's release is slow, but I'm having a hard time remembering centers that can hit the three ball ever having trouble with their man rushing out from the paint to toss their shot. Especially after a penetrate and dish. That's asking a lot, and that's where usually 3 pt shooting centers get their touches from, off of a penetrate and kick out.

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,589

Post#106 » by DarkXaero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Brook's release is slow, but I'm having a hard time remembering centers that can hit the three ball ever having trouble with their man rushing out from the paint to toss their shot. Especially after a penetrate and dish. That's asking a lot, and that's where usually 3 pt shooting centers get their touches from, off of a penetrate and kick out.

Exactly, not sure why nyce isnt seeing the obvious here. Bigs arent like wings, they dont close out as hard on other 3pt shooting bigs and they tend to give more space. Not to mention, a big can get shots off pick & pop and kickouts more easily.

As for Brook's release, he is already an unorthodox mid range shooter as he doesnt need any lift whatsoever. No point in comparing an average person to a skilled NBA pro. A lot of coaches and basketball purists will tell you to square your feet when shooting, yet many of NBA's elite shooters don't do that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#107 » by Ror1997 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:09 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Brook's release is slow, but I'm having a hard time remembering centers that can hit the three ball ever having trouble with their man rushing out from the paint to toss their shot. Especially after a penetrate and dish. That's asking a lot, and that's where usually 3 pt shooting centers get their touches from, off of a penetrate and kick out.

He should take pull up threes early in the shot clock like Porzingis does.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#108 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:16 am

DarkXaero wrote:

Exactly, not sure why nyce isnt seeing the obvious here. Bigs arent like wings, they dont close out as hard on other 3pt shooting bigs and they tend to give more space. Not to mention, a big can get shots off pick & pop and kickouts more easily.

As for Brook's release, he is already an unorthodox mid range shooter as he doesnt need any lift whatsoever. No point in comparing an average person to a skilled NBA pro. A lot of coaches and basketball purists will tell you to square your feet when shooting, yet many of NBA's elite shooters don't do that.

They don't get out on bigs because the overwhelming majority of them don't make them at a high percentage. It's not because they think it's hopeless.

Players get out on Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Ryan Anderson, and the many other bigs who shoot 3s at a high clip and make them.

And I'm not talking about average players lol. I've worked with D1 players. I'm not making stuff up.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#109 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:27 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/722214781940162562[/tweet]

“I didn’t know if I was coming back,” Korver said Monday. “That is something as a free agent, you don’t know what the team is going to be, what the coaching staff was going to look like. But he said he was going to be back (as part of Mike Budenhozer’s staff). And that was a starting place for me. Kenny is going to be here? Things are going to be OK….

“He has been awesome for us here in Atlanta,” Korver said. “I think our player development has been second to none the last four years. I think it has been amazing watching guys develop and grow and Kenny leads that.”
DarkXaero
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#110 » by DarkXaero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

They don't get out on bigs because the overwhelming majority of them don't make them at a high percentage. It's not because they think it's hopeless.

Players get out on Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Ryan Anderson, and the many other bigs who shoot 3s at a high clip and make them.

And I'm not talking about average players lol. I've worked with D1 players. I'm not making stuff up.

No, bigs cant be closed down in the same way because naturally bigs don't have the footspeed, agility. Its physics, big bodies cant do it the same way wing players can.

Kevin love, ryan anderson, mirza teletovic get plenty of great looks. And yet they are still all small PFs, not even centers. At center, it gets even harder to defend the 3.

You work with D1 players, thats good for you. My point about NBA pros still stands and Brook already shoots long 2s successfully without any elevation. Its pointless comparing highly skilled NBA pros to even D1 players. Stpeh curry, the best shooter of all time, doesnt square his feet and shoots from all kinds of weird angles. Obviously not comparing Brook and Steph there but giving an example that NBA players can go against the grain. And I bet Brook can already make 3s at a good clip in practice/shootarounds.

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#111 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:30 am

Good hire. Good coach, excellent player development skills, smart and knows how to get through to his team. Doesn't have the Xs and Os like Bud or Snyder but has a chance to really add value to Brooklyn long term as well as short term.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#112 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:37 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Exactly, not sure why nyce isnt seeing the obvious here. Bigs arent like wings, they dont close out as hard on other 3pt shooting bigs and they tend to give more space. Not to mention, a big can get shots off pick & pop and kickouts more easily.

No, bigs cant be closed down in the same way because naturally bigs don't have the footspeed, agility. Its physics, big bodies cant do it the same way wing players can.

Kevin love, ryan anderson, mirza teletovic get plenty of great looks. And yet they are still all small PFs, not even centers. At center, it gets even harder to defend the 3.

You work with D1 players, thats good for you. My point about NBA pros still stands and Brook already shoots long 2s successfully without any elevation. Its pointless comparing highly skilled NBA pros to even D1 players. Stpeh curry, the best shooter of all time, doesnt square his feet and shoots from all kinds of weird angles. Obviously not comparing Brook and Steph there but giving an example that NBA players can go against the grain. And I bet Brook can already make 3s at a good clip in practice/shootarounds.

Bigs only get spacing like that when they're coming off of PnPs/PnRs or their man is doubling hard off of a teammate.

Look at the 3 Brook made this season. Look at the plethora of 3s Horford makes. It's not that their guys are sagging off of them and they're just popping 3s.

The off-ball action frees them up and gives them the space to take their time for the 3. The switching defender (normally a wing) has to make a decision on whether to close hard on them, which could lead to a pump fake and drive for an easy 2, or play the numbers and leave them open for a 3.

Steph Curry is the exception to the rule for all basketball players, let alone NBA players. The guys who were considered the GOAT 3pt shooters before Steph all squared up. Klay Thompson squares up.

And what's done in practice is completely different from game situations. Steph Curry makes 70+ 3s in a row in practice. I know for a fact that both Rondo and Dwight shoot 80% from the free throw line in practice.

Game situations and running over sets full speed is a completely different context then basic shooting drills.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#113 » by DarkXaero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 am

NyCeEvO wrote:Bigs only get spacing like that when they're coming off of PnPs/PnRs or their man is doubling hard off of a teammate.

Look at the 3 Brook made this season. Look at the plethora of 3s Horford makes. It's not that their guys are sagging off of them and they're just popping 3s.

The off-ball action frees them up and gives them the space to take their time for the 3. The switching defender (normally a wing) has to make a decision on whether to close hard on them, which could lead to a pump fake and drive for an easy 2, or play the numbers and leave them open for a 3.

Steph Curry is the exception to the rule for all basketball players, let alone NBA players. The guys who were considered the GOAT 3pt shooters before Steph all squared up. Klay Thompson squares up.

And what's done in practice is completely different from game situations. Steph Curry makes 70+ 3s in a row in practice. I know for a fact that both Rondo and Dwight shoot 80% from the free throw line in practice.

Game situations and running over sets full speed is a completely different context then basic shooting drills.
The bit with pick & pop, that's more or less part of what I said. Bigs are able to get spacing off pick & pop relatively easily. But even closeouts on 3pt shooting bigs aren't the same as they would be on a wing.

Steph Curry was used as an example. Do you consider Kevin Durant a great shooter too? Because he doesn't square up either. And yes, I know that practice is completely different from game situations. I'm well aware that Dwight and Rondo can actually make their free throws when there is no pressure. I'm sure even the likes of Reggie Evans can. My point is that if Brook is already doing it in practice with his slow release and lack of elevation, he can theoretically do it in a real game. Unlike Rondo and Dwight, Brook doesn't have a shooting deficiency, he's a good mid range shooter and a good FT shooter.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#114 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Bigs only get spacing like that when they're coming off of PnPs/PnRs or their man is doubling hard off of a teammate.

The bit with pick & pop, that's more or less part of what I said. Bigs are able to get spacing off pick & pop relatively easily. But even closeouts on 3pt shooting bigs aren't the same as they would be on a wing.

Steph Curry was used as an example. Do you consider Kevin Durant a great shooter too? Because he doesn't square up either. And yes, I know that practice is completely different from game situations. I'm well aware that Dwight and Rondo can actually make their free throws when there is no pressure. I'm sure even the likes of Reggie Evans can. My point is that if Brook is already doing it in practice with his slow release and lack of elevation, he can theoretically do it in a real game. Unlike Rondo and Dwight, Brook doesn't have a shooting deficiency, he's a good mid range shooter and a good FT shooter.

First of all, I started off by saying that Brook should work on his 3s. I suggested corner 3s because that's where the breakdown in defenses usually occur and players tend to be left wide open. I never said he shouldn't shoot 3s at all. I just don't want him coming down the court popping 3s or have plays run for him where he shoots 3s.

Horford does it well. He primarily only shoots 3s on the PnP scenario we discussed earlier or if he's super wide open. I have 0 qualms with Brook doing that since if he drove the basket after being at the three point line, he'd probably be met by a swarm of defenders. At least with the wide open 3, it's uncontested and we potentially get an extra point if he makes it. He'd just need to make it at a solid clip in order for it to be worth it.

The Curry-Durant not squaring up talk is really a myth, or more like a misunderstood aspect of shooting.Traditionally, we've associated "squaring up" to the basket with the alignment of the feet. Technically, that's not the key part of the form for proficient shooters. It's the alignment of the shoulders and the follow through of the shooting hand which need to more or less be in alignment.

The base is simply where you get your power from shooting 3s. Historically, shooting coaches try to get players to keep their feet parallel and level so that they get used to shooting a particular robotic form. Having one's feet parallel to one's shoulders and the shooting hand extended in a straight line is something easy to remember and focus on.

While that is a good way of getting a nice, repeatable shooting form, people have to come realize that when you do this, you form a square with your body and shoot from one of the upper corners even though your eyes are in the middle of your body. It's kind of weird when you think about because we're actually not using our eyes to line up the shot. If we had our eyes on our shooting shoulder, it would be much easier to align our line of sight with our stroke and know exactly when we're off.

Now with players and coaching realizing that squaring up the base while it's important for drawing power and can help with alignment, what's more important making sure your shooting hand is going to the basket.

What Steph Curry often does is twist his body such that upon the releasing the ball, his eyes line up with his shooting shoulder and his shooting shoulder aligns with his hand. It's like a billiards player lining up his pool stick for straight on shot.

Curry is technically squaring himself up but not in the way that coaches and players used to square themselves. This is why he can jump at all sorts of angles and have it appear that he's throwing up a random shot which isn't the case. He only uses his legs for power (not alignment/form) and he lines the basket like he's shooting a target with a gun.

Durant has a similar form. One foot is almost always behind the other when he shoots but if you watch his shoulder and hands, he shoots with his head almost behind his shoulder and his hand "in" the basket. As long as they aim and they are aligned eyes-shoulder- ball-basket, they feel like it's going in.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#115 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:14 am

Here are some video examples of Atkinson teaching core balance in jump shooting and proper change of pace.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGKH2eZSnKE&sns=em[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3LprENp7g&sns=em[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDF1tKUoTA&sns=em[/youtube]
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:26 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Those are PFs though. If i ever see Hasan Whiteside scrambling from the rim to the 3[t arc after collapsing to help on a guard penetration to block a Lopez 3 pt attempt I'll paypal you $50 bucks bro :lol:

Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#117 » by Mosdefinition » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:21 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:heres what i will say I was right about lawrence frank being a bad hire

I was wrong about avery being a good (though i still think they fired him to soon)

I was right about kidd being a bad hire

I was wrong about lionel being a good hire

I guess what im saying is everytime i think someones a bad hire i end up right and when i think someones a good hire im wrong

Im just indifferent about this one which must be a good sign

Even as the self-serving douchebag he was/is and the whole Brook for Sanders debacle, I still think Kidd was a good hire and is a good coach and will go down as a VERY good coach if he can stay out of his own way on the GM side of things.

he was not equipped to coach the team he had

just like lionel wasnt equipped to coach the team this year

kidd would have been a better hire for this years team and i believe lionel could have been a better hire for the "big five" team
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#118 » by Mosdefinition » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:23 pm

King Ken wrote:Good hire. Good coach, excellent player development skills, smart and knows how to get through to his team. Doesn't have the Xs and Os like Bud or Snyder but has a chance to really add value to Brooklyn long term as well as short term.

x and os are overrated

you could have a mentally engaged phil jackson from the 90s coaching the 76ers and they would still be at 10-15 win team
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#119 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Mosdefinition wrote:
King Ken wrote:Good hire. Good coach, excellent player development skills, smart and knows how to get through to his team. Doesn't have the Xs and Os like Bud or Snyder but has a chance to really add value to Brooklyn long term as well as short term.

x and os are overrated

you could have a mentally engaged phil jackson from the 90s coaching the 76ers and they would still be at 10-15 win team

I agree, there is much more to a coach than Xs and Os.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#120 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:"Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly."

Hawks players seem to love the guy.

Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status/722106499686735872[/tweet]

Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly.

After the news of the hire, I was up past 2am last night looking at the Hawks salary cap situation and roster in order to come up with some way of getting Teague over here. Then sign Lin as his backup.

I'd go nuts if we found a way to get that tandem.

yeah, it would be awesome if our offseason kicked off with some kind of thad for teague 3 way trade.

Teague/Brook is a nice duo and it frees up 4 million in cap. gives us a 2 way point gaurd who is athletic. fill the other wing/F spots in free agency. hell if we traded for teague i wouldnt rule out horford coming here.

Horford/teague/lopez is a lock 45 win team

Return to Brooklyn Nets