ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Lin Net Thread II

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Re: The Official Lin Net Thread II 

Post#1301 » by bws94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 am

When the time comes, I see Lin more going 15-16 more than 20, even if he can get it. I just hope the guy can stay healthy next season. He's mostly a 75 game player, but he's getting hard mileage on him.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1302 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
I'd be shocked if Lin accepted that player option.

And that's what i mean, the cap space starts to disappear if we resign and brook and decisions will need to be made on those guys in 1 year. So the decision on the those two will need be made in a year if brook isnt traded. And I don't think it is a 5-6 year rebuild, I'd say more of a 3-4 year rebuild. We will have our picks after year 3 of kenny's hire date and we will have seen enough of levert, rhj, whitehead, and the two rookies by the end of that year 3 to have a good idea of where we stand

I dont know... if Lin opts out he is back to trying to find somewhere to start. maybe thats easier if he has a big year next year which is possible.

getting our picks back is great but you need to keep in mind those picks we make need to develop also. its a long process and we are at the ground floor. hell 75% of our team of the future probably isnt on the roster yet.

resigning lopez makes no sense. why dump huge money into someone you know you have such a low ceiling with? i like lin and id be fine extending him or resinging him but only at 15M range... beyond that and it becomes counter productive, if Lin/Lopez are eating 40-50% of your cap, your really putting yourself in a tough spot

I still think a season of Lin/lopez can be productive with the right pieces around them. Excited for next season!

and i think we can be productive with just lin and a big who can defend and run the floor and finish above the rim with lin finding him the ball.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#1303 » by bws94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am

Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
I dont know... if Lin opts out he is back to trying to find somewhere to start. maybe thats easier if he has a big year next year which is possible.

getting our picks back is great but you need to keep in mind those picks we make need to develop also. its a long process and we are at the ground floor. hell 75% of our team of the future probably isnt on the roster yet.

resigning lopez makes no sense. why dump huge money into someone you know you have such a low ceiling with? i like lin and id be fine extending him or resinging him but only at 15M range... beyond that and it becomes counter productive, if Lin/Lopez are eating 40-50% of your cap, your really putting yourself in a tough spot

I still think a season of Lin/lopez can be productive with the right pieces around them. Excited for next season!

and i think we can be productive with just lin and a big who can defend and run the floor and finish above the rim with lin finding him the ball.

Yes, but Lopez can also get his own shot in the post. It would be nice to get a big that can defend, because defense is why the Nets lose so many games more than offense.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#1304 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 am

bws94 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:

Yes, but Lopez can also get his own shot in the post. It would be nice to get a big that can defend, because defense is why the Nets lose so many games more than offense.

We need someone to help in the set offense. Yes its great to run on the daybreak but the nets can't do it every time. And right now when they do run they have lin running with rhj and levert
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1305 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

We need someone to help in the set offense. Yes its great to run on the daybreak but the nets can't do it every time. And right now when they do run they have lin running with rhj and levert

we have the motion offense in the half court. lin in pick and rolls as well. i dont see an issue at all. shouldnt be tough to replace the offense and depending who comes in we could probably improve it
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#1306 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:02 am

Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
bws94 wrote:

we have the motion offense in the half court. lin in pick and rolls as well. i dont see an issue at all. shouldnt be tough to replace the offense and depending who comes in we could probably improve it

Again, big if when you say depending on who comes in.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1307 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:03 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:

agree to disagree. i think it would be extremely easy with tons of different options. i think we may even get better offensively by being more wing oriented and being better defensively means more easy transition points
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#1308 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am

Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

agree to disagree. i think it would be extremely easy with tons of different options. i think we may even get better offensively by being more wing oriented and being better defensively means more easy transition points

Still disagree with you but I guess we'll see what Marks does
bws94
Head Coach

Post#1309 » by bws94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 am

Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
bws94 wrote:

It'll improve due to KA having more experience, hopefully Lin playing most of the season, and some of the core being used to each other. If we change some of the core, there'a an adjustment period and how long it is depends on the personnel.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,062

Post#1310 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:^^yeah that's great point about defensive chemistry. Switching and trapping definitely involves a lot more than what we play now. Guys will have to develop trust and know that when one person makes a move, the other guy is covering space and vice versa.

Well, we'll see. I don't foresee them moving brook at the draft. But I do expect them to draft his replacement who fits the mold of what we need defensively.

My biggest worry is marks is stingy with lopez at the draft, is lowball at the deadline and then feels pressured to extend him not to lose him. that would really set us back even further.

I wouldn't want them to extend him to some insane contract. That's a fireable offense.

Regarding Marks being stingy...well, to be honest, I don't think he's going to get a good deal offered for Lopez. The same criticisms that we have of his defense, other scouts and GMs know already. Hence, the reason why he hasn't been moved yet. No one is offering anything really worth it.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:^^yeah that's great point about defensive chemistry. Switching and trapping definitely involves a lot more than what we play now. Guys will have to develop trust and know that when one person makes a move, the other guy is covering space and vice versa.

Well, we'll see. I don't foresee them moving brook at the draft. But I do expect them to draft his replacement who fits the mold of what we need defensively.

My biggest worry is marks is stingy with lopez at the draft, is lowball at the deadline and then feels pressured to extend him not to lose him. that would really set us back even further.

I wouldn't want them to extend him to some insane contract. That's a fireable offense.

Regarding Marks being stingy...well, to be honest, I don't think he's going to get a good deal offered for Lopez. The same criticisms that we have of his defense, other scouts and GMs know already. Hence, the reason why he hasn't been moved yet. No one is offering anything really worth it.

at the deadline just give me what you can get... i mean by that point a rookie should be looking to get some minutes like CLV and goodwin late last year.

if you're gonna let him walk take whatever asset you can get. if we can get any 2018 or 2019 pick i take it. or maybe even a pick swap option... that could pay off. teams assume we will continue to be awful and jump at it but alot can change in a couple years
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#1312 » by hood30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:52 am

bws94 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:

It'll improve due to KA having more experience, hopefully Lin playing most of the season, and some of the core being used to each other. If we change some of the core, there'a an adjustment period and how long it is depends on the personnel.

That's the key argument in keeping Lopez..The fact that he gives you the #1 option on offense that every good team needs + you have continuity for next season with the Lin/Lopez connection which worked well when Lin got back and team improved greatly.

Lin/Lopez will be both better with this year experience..on the other end bringing another center who can't score, will take time to fit in the new system..and Brooklyn will have to figure out how do they get their points without Lopez since no one has never had the load of being a #1 option on offense...This team would definitely be worse unless Milsap/Hill signs.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#1313 » by bws94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 am

hood30 wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

That's the key argument in keeping Lopez..The fact that he gives you the #1 option on offense that every good team needs + you have continuity for next season with the Lin/Lopez connection which worked well when Lin got back and team improved greatly.

Lin/Lopez will be both better with this year experience..on the other end bringing another center who can't score, will take time to fit in the new system..and Brooklyn will have to figure out how do they get their points without Lopez since no one has never had the load of being a #1 option on offense...This team would definitely be worse unless Milsap/Hill signs.

Milsap solves the scoring problem, for the most part. Hill and Lin are a fantastic backcourt on both ends. The likelihood of either signing is low, IMO.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#1314 » by Lorenzomax7 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 am

Advanced metrics show Lin is a way better POINT guard than his per-game stats show. Later on. :)
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#1315 » by Vae Victus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 am

Lin is fine. Doesnt matter what system BRK runs, he'll grind out his stats and provide positive benefits on both ends. Give him a plodder or a gazelle as bigs, he'll still do his thing and attack the paint. Give him shooters and he'll be slicing the court the up with spell binding passes.

My main thing is that the Nets cant really afford to have 2 bigs down low with no range. At bare minimum one of them needs a decent mid range game to keep teams honest and not blatantly packing the paint. 3 shooters arent enough unless theyre all deadeyes.
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#1316 » by hood30 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 am

Vae Victus wrote:Lin is fine. Doesnt matter what system BRK runs, he'll grind out his stats and provide positive benefits on both ends. Give him a plodder or a gazelle as bigs, he'll still do his thing and attack the paint. Give him shooters and he'll be slicing the court the up with spell binding passes.

My main thing is that the Nets cant really afford to have 2 bigs down low with no range. At bare minimum one of them needs a decent mid range game to keep teams honest and not blatantly packing the paint. 3 shooters arent enough unless theyre all deadeyes.

We all agree with this thus the reason why it might be best to keep Lopez since once Nets gets rid of Lopez, there's no guaranty they would be able to sign a legit stretch-4 to make sure one of either the C/PF can shoot outside.

I also agree that 3 shooters are not enough, specially if you are counting on LeVert to shoot above 36%..As you state, unless the 3 are dead-eye 3point snipers, you probably need 4 shooters + 1 bruiser inside.

If I'm Marks I'd check to see what Blazers would take for Ed Davis..Maybe a second round pick would do it...Ed would be perfect alongside Lopez for rebound, blocks, defense and give Lin the athletic PnR partner.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1317 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm

hood30 wrote:

Lin/Lopez played 30 games together. im sure lin can find chemsitry with whoever the new center would be in 82 games next year.

we would be so enormously better on defense it wouldnt matter. plus better defense means more transition points. we want to play fast and we can dot hat better without lopez and we would have huge money t sign a new SG to be our #1 option.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1318 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:13 pm

hood30 wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Lin is fine. Doesnt matter what system BRK runs, he'll grind out his stats and provide positive benefits on both ends. Give him a plodder or a gazelle as bigs, he'll still do his thing and attack the paint. Give him shooters and he'll be slicing the court the up with spell binding passes.

We all agree with this thus the reason why it might be best to keep Lopez since once Nets gets rid of Lopez, there's no guaranty they would be able to sign a legit stretch-4 to make sure one of either the C/PF can shoot outside.

I also agree that 3 shooters are not enough, specially if you are counting on LeVert to shoot above 36%..As you state, unless the 3 are dead-eye 3point snipers, you probably need 4 shooters + 1 bruiser inside.

If I'm Marks I'd check to see what Blazers would take for Ed Davis..Maybe a second round pick would do it...Ed would be perfect alongside Lopez for rebound, blocks, defense and give Lin the athletic PnR partner.

there are tons of stretch bigs in fee agency and the draft. it would be easy to get one.

an there is no making up for a horrible pick and roll center on defense. we have seen that time after time after time with lopez. its a liability that prevents us from playing team defense and forces us to play a system where you never help or switch.

not sure of the love affair with an good but not great scorer who does nothing else, isnt competitive, is a massive detriment on defense and who is a career underachiever with no competitiveness
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#1319 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
hood30 wrote:

there are tons of stretch bigs in fee agency and the draft. it would be easy to get one.

an there is no making up for a horrible pick and roll center on defense. we have seen that time after time after time with lopez. its a liability that prevents us from playing team defense and forces us to play a system where you never help or switch.

not sure of the love affair with an good but not great scorer who does nothing else, isnt competitive, is a massive detriment on defense and who is a career underachiever with no competitiveness

I would classify lopez as a great scorer. I know you have it in for him but he obviously is. Defense no one disagrees with.

Career underachiever, again I disagree with you. He wasn't a top 10 pick and wasn't seen as anything special. Yet he has been a productive player in the league
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1320 » by Prokorov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:[

I would classify lopez as a great scorer. I know you have it in for him but he obviously is. Defense no one disagrees with.

I'm obviously more down on Lopez then most.... but you cant throw out "great scorer" when everything says that he isnt:

1) he is 29th in the league in scoring this season... there are only 30 teams.

2) Career: 18.6 PPG

3) in 9 seasons he has never reached 22+ points per game and reached 20+ ppg just 3 times in his career.

4) he doesnt crack the top 10 all time in nets ppg.

So again, what exactly are you using to call him a "great" scorer?

I mean he hasnt even had ONE big scoring season. great scorers are guys who give you 22-24 ppg year after year.

Career underachiever, again I disagree with you. He wasn't a top 10 pick and wasn't seen as anything special. Yet he has been a productive player in the league

Of course he is an underachiever.... year after year his teams do worse then they should. when he has been on good/playoff teams they have gotten embarassed and always lost to .500+ teams. Despite having the size and talent, he has never been able to consistently play well. how many times have we seen big months or big post-allstar breaks from lopez but yet he can never do it for an entire season?

He is like the anti Jeremy Lin... Lin is ultra competitive and wants to be the best. Lopez is content being whatever he is and getting whatever comes to him,

He needs to go... he is the only hold over with the stench of those embrassing early brooklyn teams

Return to Brooklyn Nets