ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hands, 1

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Re: WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hand 

Post#161 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:02 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:Am I the only one who still hasn’t changed my opinion of him? I still don’t like his game. There is just something about the way he plays that I don’t like. He is too inconsistent. Yeah he had three or four good games in a row and then the last two games he sucked. He started against the pacers and went 0-4 from three and 1-5 from the floor with 3 points and was a -14 when on the court. And against the Knicks he came off the bench and 1-4 from three and 1-5 overall in 23 mins.

I knew a few good shooting games was all it took for everyone to start with how great he is. Until he does it consistently I’ll keep my judgement of him. I also don’t see the great defender that people say he is either.

it wasnt a "a few good shooting games". it was 2 months of increasingly better play

No it was a few good shooting games lol. And he played like crap the last two games

in 13 games in february he shot 41% from three and averaged 10.5 points in 21 minutes
in 6 games in march he sho 44% from three and averaged 9.5 points in 24 minutes

thats 19 games. thats more then "a few good games: During that stretch he shot 40% or better 13 times, including 50% or better 7 times. 52-122 over the last 19 games.

He had a positive on/off in 13 of the 19 games.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,210

Re: WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hand 

Post#162 » by therealbig3 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:Am I the only one who still hasn’t changed my opinion of him? I still don’t like his game. There is just something about the way he plays that I don’t like. He is too inconsistent. Yeah he had three or four good games in a row and then the last two games he sucked. He started against the pacers and went 0-4 from three and 1-5 from the floor with 3 points and was a -14 when on the court. And against the Knicks he came off the bench and 1-4 from three and 1-5 overall in 23 mins.

I knew a few good shooting games was all it took for everyone to start with how great he is. Until he does it consistently I’ll keep my judgement of him. I also don’t see the great defender that people say he is either.

Kinda, but that's probably because you're just being stubborn, because you've had your preconceived notions about him since before he even played a minute for us.

I mean, if you want him to shoot 40-50% from 3 every single game, then there isn't a shooter in the league you'd be happy with. That never happens with anyone.

He's shooting 37% from 3 and has been one of our key rotation players during our 14-1 stretch. Not sure what there is to hate on right now. He was brought in for shooting, he's doing that. He's also shown some off the dribble and passing ability. I don't think much of his defense, but it's average. It's not terrible, it's not great. That doesn't really matter though, honestly.

He's doing what we brought him in for.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#163 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:32 pm

Shamets doing his job. Guy doesn't try to do more than he is capable of with almost 70% of his shots being spot up 3s, can also attack a closeout with some ball skills.

Defensively he definitely is active but his size can and will be targeted in a playoff series. But if the Lakers can win 5 titles with Derek Fisher playing major minutes Shamet as your 8th guy off the bench is more than fine when he's got the shooting ability to win you games.
mycorrizae
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#164 » by mycorrizae » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:32 am

I'm still not a big fan of Shamet but he's at least playing real minutes and making catch-and-shoot 3s in the regular season, which wasn't a guarantee.

I don't have huge trust in Shamet or Tyler Johnson in a playoff series but hopefully at least one of them is able to play like 20 minutes a game, or potentially play minutes over Brown if his shooting becomes a problem.

He doesn't have to be an above average rotation guy when we have the best top talent in the league. All he has to do is shoot and not be a traffic cone on defense. Luckily, the top teams in the East aren't likely to relentlessly ISO him, and don't have superstar scoring guards, so hopefully he can contribute in the playoffs.
mycorrizae
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#165 » by mycorrizae » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:35 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Shamets doing his job. Guy doesn't try to do more than he is capable of with almost 70% of his shots being spot up 3s, can also attack a closeout with some ball skills.

Defensively he definitely is active but his size can and will be targeted in a playoff series. But if the Lakers can win 5 titles with Derek Fisher playing major minutes Shamet as your 8th guy off the bench is more than fine when he's got the shooting ability to win you games.

This isn't the same league as it was then, offenses are much better at attacking the weakest link on defense over and over again. But yea, he's not a total tirefire like he was at the beginning of the season, he's been ok.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#166 » by Openheimer » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:08 am

Shamet had a bad game against the magic and the Pacers but he has been much better lately

Return to Brooklyn Nets