ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread 

Post#1781 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 am

antique0o0 wrote:It make sense from Celtics perspective. They won enough games with Thomas and Bradley, now it's upgrading time for them.
This is the best Cavs could get..

Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

I don't see a contender there.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
antique0o0
Senior
And1: 53

Post#1782 » by antique0o0 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 am

Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:It make sense from Celtics perspective. They won enough games with Thomas and Bradley, now it's upgrading time for them.

Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

They have young talents. And LeBorn isn't getting any younger.
Other eastern conference teams aren't able to compete with them ...
They have certain chance to enter the NBA finals.
Most NBA stats aren't credible. At most times the people who interprets those data are biased, or the data themselves are flawed. Basketball is just too complicated with so many uncontrollable variables.
Paradise

Post#1783 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 am

antique0o0 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Trust me, Boston is not going to the Finals barring any other deals. I could see them using their other assets for Gasol. Aside from that, this current Irving-led squad is good enough to compete in the postseason but hardly not enough to even compete, IMO.

Meanwhile, Cavs will suddenly defend the East with a loaded team.

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

antique0o0
Senior
And1: 53

Post#1784 » by antique0o0 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 am

Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Trust me, Boston is not going to the Finals barring any other deals. I could see them using their other assets for Gasol. Aside from that, this current Irving-led squad is good enough to compete in the postseason but hardly not enough to even compete, IMO.

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

This Cavs aren't better than last season. I have doubts on Rose, he might not fit. Thomas' D is as bad as Calderon's. It's not easy to playing along side LeBron for point guards, especially those with obvious shortcomings. And they aren't a steady team at all. No one knows what will happen to them after this season.
This Celtic is better than last year. They could get better after this new season.
Most NBA stats aren't credible. At most times the people who interprets those data are biased, or the data themselves are flawed. Basketball is just too complicated with so many uncontrollable variables.
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#1785 » by Curns13 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 am

Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

I think Boston is worse than it was yesterday, but may be better long term. You lose 2 starters and gain 1 (IT and Irving are a wash as far as output this season IMO) but get more minutes into Brown and Tatum who should turn out better than Crowder and Bradley. Obviously Irving will be better than IT in 2/3 years so he fits their timeline better. Irving, Haywood, Brown and Tatum should all be around in 6/7 years time. Thats the team now.

Also agree with that Cavs are better. IT will give you all the offense Kyrie could have plus you add Crowder to your bench mob. They are deeper than last year with Rose and Crowder off the bench and added a 5-10 draft pick for if/when it gets blown up next offseason.

For me it is a Cavs win in the short term, but this move might allow Brown and Tatum to develop into stars long term.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#1786 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:48 am

Paradise wrote:

Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

they dont need to contend... that have a stacked young team.

Kyrie is 25.

Brown and Tatum are 2 of the best young prospects in the league. they still have alot of picks left. smart is young. i like ojeleye.

they are better then the were before the trade and set up better longterm.
Paradise

Post#1787 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Kyrie is 25.

Brown and Tatum are 2 of the best young prospects in the league. they still have alot of picks left. smart is young. i like ojeleye.

Except this is what they're trying to do. Contend. They made this deal because they've been desperate to land a prime star player and I'm sure the likelihood of Irving on the Knicks or Raptors would bother Ainge more than overpaying Thomas and hoarding more prospects.

He's taking steps back for their future. That's quite alright but I have a hard time believing somehow Irving/Smart/Morris/Brown/Horford and a bench of Larkin/Rozier/Tatum/Olejeye/Baynes somehow better on paper than Toronto, Charlotte, Milwaukee right now. Today.

There's a reason why Boston fans are in meltdown mode and backtracking on 90% of the garbage they were posting here in the first place. We've never seen Irving win anything as the main option.

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#1788 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am

I guess one reason Ainge made that trade is that he doesn't want to pay IT the max. He has to if he isn't traded.

Crowder might be huge, guarding KD.

If Zizic can give them something it'd be big cuz they don't have a real center.

A big question is: Who defends Curry better? Kyrie or IT? One is a bad defender, the other undersized.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#1789 » by Wilfried » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

Curns13 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:They have young talents. And LeBorn isn't getting any younger.

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

I think Boston is worse than it was yesterday, but may be better long term. You lose 2 starters and gain 1 (IT and Irving are a wash as far as output this season IMO) but get more minutes into Brown and Tatum who should turn out better than Crowder and Bradley. Obviously Irving will be better than IT in 2/3 years so he fits their timeline better. Irving, Haywood, Brown and Tatum should all be around in 6/7 years time. Thats the team now.

Also agree with that Cavs are better. IT will give you all the offense Kyrie could have plus you add Crowder to your bench mob. They are deeper than last year with Rose and Crowder off the bench and added a 5-10 draft pick for if/when it gets blown up next offseason.

For me it is a Cavs win in the short term, but this move might allow Brown and Tatum to develop into stars long term.

People seem to forget Cleveland also get the 2018 Brooklyn pick

This trade is a big W for Cleveland
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,035

Post#1790 » by Dirk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am

I was expecting to see a thread marking this moment - no more picks owed to the Celtics. This is a huge moment, especially on RealGM - end of an era. The hilarious part will be that Boston fans will now root for the Nets so that they feel better about the trade.

If you go back a few years and think of all the possibilities the Celtics had... you have to feel like what they ended up with is underwhelming. At the same time, this particular trade isn't as bad as people have been making out to be. On one hand people attacked the Celtics because they 'had to pay IT', they basically removed that burden here and got a younger guy who fits in better with their younger core.
60/21/10
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,363

Post#1791 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:50 pm

I think Cleveland came out of this deal looking clean. Crowder and IT are excellent players. Our pick will probably not be in the top 8, but still lottery.

Meanwhile, if things don't work in Boston, Irving can simply hold them hostage or haul ass. the check has come due for Danny Ainge, he better pray this works.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread 

Post#1792 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Dirk wrote:I was expecting to see a thread marking this moment - no more picks owed to the Celtics. This is a huge moment, especially on RealGM - end of an era. The hilarious part will be that Boston fans will now root for the Nets so that they feel better about the trade.

If you go back a few years and think of all the possibilities the Celtics had... you have to feel like what they ended up with is underwhelming. At the same time, this particular trade isn't as bad as people have been making out to be. On one hand people attacked the Celtics because they 'had to pay IT', they basically removed that burden here and got a younger guy who fits in better with their younger core.

They are an absolutely delusional fanbase. This has been the case since I remember Nets/Celtics playoffs back in 2002. I think folks would respect them a lot more if they didn't embarrass themselves by constantly acting like Ainge couldn't disappoint or make a questionable deal.

I certainly hope they'd apologize before rooting for a fanbase they've purposely tried to offend for the last 3+ Years. Hoping for Lopez to break a foot, Lin to stay injured, etc. Now, you've got a 25 year old that has so far missed 90+ regular season games of his career.

They should be praying that Karma doesn't make them feel that trade.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,997

Post#1793 » by Rich Rane » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

There's also been reports of bringing in Wade. Moving JR to the bench might do wonders for them.
Paradise

Post#1794 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Paradise wrote:
antique0o0 wrote:They have young talents. And LeBorn isn't getting any younger.

Thomas / Rose / Calderon
Smith / Shump
Bron / Crowder
Love / J. Green
Thompson / Frye

There's also been reports of bringing in Wade. Moving JR to the bench might do wonders for them.

They could also realistically convince Memphis on a Love for Gasol swap while keeping the pick or a Thompson, JR, Felder, 2018 1st for Gasol kind of deal at the deadline.

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#1795 » by steady » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Dirk wrote:I was expecting to see a thread marking this moment - no more picks owed to the Celtics. This is a huge moment, especially on RealGM - end of an era. The hilarious part will be that Boston fans will now root for the Nets so that they feel better about the trade.

Boston suddenly went this summer from being a team with a bunch of blue collar hard working guys, who out played their draft pick. To a handful of top talents in Hayward (9), Kyrie (1), Horford (3), Tatum (3), and Brown (3), plus supporting cast. That increasingly seems to be the preferred route to Championship success. Will be interesting to see if Nets follow this model down the line.

IT with hip injury, uncertain physical outlook, and age (28). His size, and his very suspect D --- for Kyrie Irving, is a big upgrade.

Giving up Crowder and his bargain contract, is a hit for them - but his role on the team overlaps with Hayward/Brown/Tatum somewhat, so although Celtics will miss him, his absence also creates more room for other important players.

The Croatian kid shows promise but is still raw talent, who knows.

And the Nets draft pick - its value is probably at its highest point right now. Nets are going to outperform expectations at least a bit

It will be a while before we know if this new group of Celtics will be able to come together and excel (and I tend to be skeptical of super teams versus steadily building through the draft and single trades), but Ainge clearly decided he was going to be proactive and try to shoot for the moon. It will at least make for fireworks this season - starting with the very first game of regular season -- Celtics at Cavs. :)
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#1796 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Irving / Larkin
Heyward / Smart
Morris/Tatum
Brown / Olejeye
Horford/ Baynes

Kyrie is 25.

Except this is what they're trying to do. Contend. They made this deal because they've been desperate to land a prime star player and I'm sure the likelihood of Irving on the Knicks or Raptors would bother Ainge more than overpaying Thomas and hoarding more prospects.

He's taking steps back for their future. That's quite alright but I have a hard time believing somehow Irving/Smart/Morris/Brown/Horford and a bench of Larkin/Rozier/Tatum/Olejeye/Baynes somehow better on paper than Toronto, Charlotte, Milwaukee right now. Today.

There's a reason why Boston fans are in meltdown mode and backtracking on 90% of the garbage they were posting here in the first place. We've never seen Irving win anything as the main option.

they can sell as contending if they want but they are 100% better set up for the future with this move both cap wise and talent wise. they are also better on the floor to win now, even though that isnt a championship team.

I live in Boston, 90% of people here love the trade... other then IT stans
Paradise

Post#1797 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

So glad we do not have any games on ESPN. By far the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They should be boycotted.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,968

Post#1798 » by Karate Diop » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Am I the only one not sold on Tatum being some sort of superstar / generational talent?

His off-the-ball game is nonexistent and unless that develops, he's basically just a less physical / powerful Rudy Gay...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,363

Post#1799 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Paradise wrote:So glad we do not have any games on ESPN. By far the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They should be boycotted.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This is completely shameful and if ESPN had any balls the person who made that call should be fired immediately.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#1800 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Read on Twitter