ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: ROUND 2 Nets @ Bucks | 5.4.2021 @ 7:30 on TNT

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: GT: ROUND 2 Nets @ Bucks | 5.4.2021 @ 7:30 on TNT 

Post#181 » by MGrand15 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:32 am

This was easily the worst "big" game we've played all year. Our role players did nothing to impact the game. Kyrie and KD got all their buckets off isolations and pure talent. I honestly don't understand this effort after we played such awesome ball against Phoenix who's also an elite defense.

Milwaukee just wanted it more and outplayed us big time. These games make it more obvious we need Harden badly against Philly and the Bucks. If our roleplayers are going to be useless against tough defenses - we might be better off just throwing in more defensive oriented guys. Bruce Brown, Claxton, Tyler Johnson, even Alize Johnson. Harris hit 4 3s but Milwaukee was not worried about him at all. We had zero spacing out there.

And we played KD + Kyrie 40 minutes each. Just a disaster game.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Post#182 » by Pelly24 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:33 am

therealbig3 wrote:BTW, might be a good idea to stay off the GB for a little while. There's gonna be hot takes galore lol.

Like, I realize that these are still just 2 games, on the road, against an excellent team. I also realize that we're not at full strength and are still pending the return of James Harden, so a lot of these stagnant offensive sets leading to TOs and awful shots won't happen as often (you would hope).

But remember, this was a team that was originally supposed to be built around just Kyrie and Durant. And this is how the team showed out against elite competition on the national stage. Disappointing.

What'd say is that, they can't afford to not have Claxton in the lineup, because the Nets just couldn't do anything defensively. Giannis didn't even shoot well from the field this time, but it didn't matter because of rebounding and the Nets missing free throws. When they traded for Harden, they lost some valuable pieces and that can be hard to makeup. KD and Kyrie having disjointed playing time together also hasn't helped.

Nash made some horrible decisions.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#183 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 2:33 am

therealbig3 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:BTW, might be a good idea to stay off the GB for a little while. There's gonna be hot takes galore lol.

Like, I realize that these are still just 2 games, on the road, against an excellent team. I also realize that we're not at full strength and are still pending the return of James Harden, so a lot of these stagnant offensive sets leading to TOs and awful shots won't happen as often (you would hope).

But remember, this was a team that was originally supposed to be built around just Kyrie and Durant. And this is how the team showed out against elite competition on the national stage. Disappointing.
Well then you have to consider the players we had prior to the trade. With Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, a healthy Spencer Dinwiddie, do we win these past two games? I'd say yes.

Dinwiddie was struggling prior to getting hurt, so were Levert and Prince. Allen I'll give you...but I don't think he's a big improvement over Claxton and Griffin (Claxton should have played more imo, unless he didn't feel right and the coaching staff decided he needed to sit out for safety reasons).

Don't think we can really know how much of a difference they would have made over the guys that actually got the minutes. I think the "depth" of the supporting cast was overrated before, and underrated now.

Allen is a huge improvement over Griffin defensively v Giannis. And Claxton barely played.

Levert was playing well enough to get us some wins. He would be huge for our 2nd unit. And Prince was fine. If nothing he was a decent defender.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#184 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 2:35 am

Pelly24 wrote:

What'd say is that, they can't afford to not have Claxton in the lineup, because the Nets just couldn't do anything defensively. Giannis didn't even shoot well from the field this time, but it didn't matter because of rebounding and the Nets missing free throws. When they traded for Harden, they lost some valuable pieces and that can be hard to makeup. KD and Kyrie having disjointed playing time together also hasn't helped.

Claxton is easily our best defensive player.

We need him desperately ever since Allen left. Jordan won't cut it. And Griffin can only do so much.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Post#185 » by Pelly24 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:36 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Saw the game and we had no energy at the end. Durant still needs conditioning n can't play those long staggering minutes continuously imo.

Kyrie needs to be better setting up his teammates. Great scorer as usual.

Bench needs to do better.

Our athleticism weakness will be a big hindrance come playoff time

Yeah I'm not even sure what he was doing when trying to distribute. Seemed like he was happy to play off ball a lot. Against Chicago, suns, etc. he did a good job, but maybe something about the bucks' defense disrupts that.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,427

Post#186 » by Papi_swav » Wed May 5, 2021 2:38 am

We lost twice to them, I don't like that
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#187 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 2:43 am

Also for all the blame Nash is getting, he made a lot of the adjustments we wanted in the 4th.

Benched Jordan. Put Brown in. That was the best possible lineup.

KD shot us out of that game. Went like 1-7 in the 4th.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#188 » by HardenGoat » Wed May 5, 2021 2:47 am

CalamityX12 wrote:We need Harden... not an overreaction. Just. The. Truth!

What’s crazy is Durant and Irving get their own points so we are missing a player that averages 25 with 11 assists that directly gets the role players involved and contributing. Jordan with 2 points today is shameful and frustrating.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,585

Post#189 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 2:56 am

therealbig3 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Well then you have to consider the players we had prior to the trade. With Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, a healthy Spencer Dinwiddie, do we win these past two games? I'd say yes.

Dinwiddie was struggling prior to getting hurt, so were Levert and Prince. Allen I'll give you...but I don't think he's a big improvement over Claxton and Griffin (Claxton should have played more imo, unless he didn't feel right and the coaching staff decided he needed to sit out for safety reasons).

Don't think we can really know how much of a difference they would have made over the guys that actually got the minutes. I think the "depth" of the supporting cast was overrated before, and underrated now.
Dude, Dinwiddie had played 2 and 1/2 games, and we were posting an elite net rating with him on the floor on those minutes (given that we had blowout wins in first two games). Dinwiddie is actually the best player out of those guys, can't just discount him like that. Allen is significantly better than Claxton at this point, as good as Claxton can be.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#190 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:13 am

Shark wrote:Nash has 3 timeouts and he watching his team get **** murdered on both ends. You mean to tell me he doesn't want to settle things down? Make adjustments? Stop their momentum? JFC.

Yup, I've been banging this drum for a minute.

He's had all season, and he's certainly made strides. But opposing coaches will pick him clean like a vulture on a carcass, if he doesn't continue to improve on making timely, necessary adjustments.

I'm interested to hear his post game presser when I get home. Losing twice at Milwaukee is no reason to hang our heads, but Bud out-strategized Steve in back to back games. I think that the team and the fanbase would be more optimistic about his growth if he were to admit it and take some ownership. This is a foe we are likely to see if we are fortunate enough to make it to the 2md round and there are serious questions as to how much or coach will help or hurt at that stage.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#191 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:14 am

Pelly24 wrote:

Nash's willingness to play defensive guys who dont shoot well is a huge issue for this team.

Claxton barely played, when he did, we got stops.
Brown didnt play much, when he did we got some stops and he got some offensive rebounds
Alize didnt play
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#192 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:14 am

Shark wrote:Nash has 3 timeouts and he watching his team get **** murdered on both ends. You mean to tell me he doesn't want to settle things down? Make adjustments? Stop their momentum? JFC.

Yup, I've been banging this drum for a minute.

He's had all season, and he's certainly made strides. But opposing coaches will pick him clean like a vulture on a carcass, if he doesn't continue to improve on making timely, necessary adjustments.

I'm interested to hear his post game presser when I get home. Losing twice at Milwaukee is no reason to hang our heads, but Bud out-strategized Steve in back to back games. I think that the team and the fanbase would be more optimistic about his growth if he were to admit it and take some ownership. This is a foe we are likely to see if we are fortunate enough to make it to the 2md round and there are serious questions as to how much or coach will help or hurt at that stage.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#193 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:21 am

Nash was god awful and was the biggest reason we lost this game. We had them going into the 4th. I dont know why he felt the need to play a lineup with Jeff Green at center when they had Lopez on the floor. He then negated the only advantage of playing green at center (going 5-out) by putting brown next to him. makes zero sense.

He then stuck with that lineup through a 16-2 run where they have 12 points in the paint.

Whats wrong with playing claxton and green or claxton and brown there? whats wrong with blake there?

Also, He needs to grow a pair of balls and get in the officials face. im tried of our guys constantly getting knocked to the ground and no whistle and nash says and does nothing. its stupid.

Green in general was awful tonight on both ends. a team worst -18 but nash refused to sit him playing him like 36 minutes.

0 adjustments. 0 offensive sets. i get isolation is our best offense, but you need to still mix in some set plays.

Nash is going to cost us a title.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#194 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:22 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Embarrassing. And Nash is just standing there watching the team implode.

Nash postgame: i did nothing wrong, i was perfect, team needs to play better.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#195 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:24 am

therealbig3 wrote:You can't blame the bench for this. Starters came in and pissed everything away. The bench built a lead, then lost the lead, but overall, played Milwaukee even.

The starters can't get a stop at all.

It wasnt the starters. you had Brown/Green at PF/C. we got destroyed with points in the paint during that 16-2 run.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#196 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:25 am

HardenGoat wrote:Middleton is underrated. Guy is a scoring machine. We are not grounded offensively and unfortunately it’s due to not playing together for so long.

Middleton is properly rated as a fringe all-star,

A good coach forces him to drive. we are overreacting to every dribble in feat giving him open jumpers and easy step backs.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#197 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:26 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Durant has cost us this game in my view. Awful 2nd half and 4th Q.

Missed two good looks right now to cut it to 2.

if Nash isnt the coach we are up 15 going into the 4th instead of 2.

Nash is the first 10 reasons we lost this game.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#198 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:27 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Nash's mistakes were covered up by Harden. Ever since he has been out we have been terrible.

been saying this all year.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#199 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:29 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I know everyone will freak out but I'm still not worried.

If we actually put in effort we wouldn't get out rebounded 55-39.

We will figure it out. This team has no cohesion or chemistry still. Either get Harden back or start figuring things out.

I think we have elite chemistry. more effort would help, but we dont play our high energy guys so i wouldnt count ton too much of an improvement there. And we still are playing short handed every game due to horrible coaching. Harden may make us too talented to lose, but we will have to see,
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#200 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:32 am

DarkXaero wrote:Yall acting like we got blown out over these two games, when in reality, there were narrow wins that went into the final minute of the game. Obviously, its hugely disappointing to lose these two games to a contender but they're fully healthy, we weren't even close. If we're in a playoffs series against Bucks or Sixers with just KD & Kyrie, we're likely **** regardless anyways.

Last game was not an issue. tonight was a different story

Return to Brooklyn Nets