ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets vs. Sixers 1/20/20 3:00pm EST *note the early start time folks*

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: GT: Nets vs. Sixers 1/20/20 3:00pm EST *note the early start time folks* 

Post#201 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Claud wrote:We've been slumping for over a month now.

Dinwiddie and Harris cooled off while Caris is struggling(similar to last season) when returning from injury.

I knew we had no chance vs. most of these teams we've been playing but damn I was hopinh to steal a W or two.

Last season was a magical season but this one has been the complete opposite so far.

I expect some changes.

last season we werent missing our 2 top players for 30 games. we had Dlo to lean on not just dinwiddie.

we werent in a slump for a month, you just wont beat real NBA teams rolling out pinson and musa every night. once we stopped playing the cavs and hawks and knicks the Ls were inevitable.

we have real talent back now. we will start winning games again
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#202 » by MGrand15 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:The way our team is currently constructed, I do think Philly is a terrible matchup for us. Possibly the worst in the league outside of Milwaukee. Philly is a below average offensive team that can't shoot. All you have to do is match Simmons with someone around his size/strength and he's basically a non-factor offensively + have someone that can contain Embiid to regular numbers. We can't do either. At all. If you can't stop Philly, their defense is too good to hang with them.

I don't think we're going to miss the playoffs but we need to turn it around quickly. Injuries or not - this is no longer a cute rebuilding team. This team has a bunch of vets. Guys that should be making the leap. Kenny is trying to earn the trust of stars. Being way under .500 causes tension and issues.

It's easy to say we have an easy stretch coming up after the Lakers but now there's a TON of pressure on us for that stretch. We underperform and the team might crumble.

There is 0 pressure.

even if we went 2-6 or 3-5 we likely are still in the 8 seed with a 2 game lead. we have a chance to make it a 5 or 6 game lead, but we dont need to go 6-1 in this stretch. it would be nice, and would get us to .500. but there really is no pressure

If we go 2-6, we'd be 20-30. The guys are human. Technically, this is a transitional year but internally, the team still had 44 to 47 win expectations. When teams underperform, that's when you start getting issues. Injuries have been a factor but we're still just 5-10 with Kyrie.

Maybe Kyrie starts wondering if Kenny is really a coach who could lead the team to a championship? Maybe the vets start clashing with the younger guys. Maybe rifts start forming in the team. That'll REALLY test our culture. Maybe it's fine and the team sticks together. But it can easily fall apart. That's why there's pressure.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

GT: Nets vs. Sixers 1/20/20 3:00pm EST *note the early start time folks* 

Post#203 » by Paradise » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:The way our team is currently constructed, I do think Philly is a terrible matchup for us. Possibly the worst in the league outside of Milwaukee. Philly is a below average offensive team that can't shoot. All you have to do is match Simmons with someone around his size/strength and he's basically a non-factor offensively + have someone that can contain Embiid to regular numbers. We can't do either. At all. If you can't stop Philly, their defense is too good to hang with them.

I don't think we're going to miss the playoffs but we need to turn it around quickly. Injuries or not - this is no longer a cute rebuilding team. This team has a bunch of vets. Guys that should be making the leap. Kenny is trying to earn the trust of stars. Being way under .500 causes tension and issues.

It's easy to say we have an easy stretch coming up after the Lakers but now there's a TON of pressure on us for that stretch. We underperform and the team might crumble.

There is 0 pressure.

even if we went 2-6 or 3-5 we likely are still in the 8 seed with a 2 game lead. we have a chance to make it a 5 or 6 game lead, but we dont need to go 6-1 in this stretch. it would be nice, and would get us to .500. but there really is no pressure

If we go 2-6, we'd be 20-30. The guys are human. Technically, this is a transitional year but internally, the team still had 44 to 47 win expectations. When teams underperform, that's when you start getting issues. Injuries have been a factor but we're still just 5-10 with Kyrie.

Maybe Kyrie starts wondering if Kenny is really a coach who could lead the team to a championship? Maybe the vets start clashing with the younger guys. Maybe rifts start forming in the team. That'll REALLY test our culture. Maybe it's fine and the team sticks together. But it can easily fall apart. That's why there's pressure.

Pretty much.

We’re only showing that we look consistently competent with LeVert, Kyrie, DJ, Harris getting heavy minutes. KD is going to sit back and watch how we’re slumping with guys who are supposed to take a leap.

Jarrett has been fairly disappointing in a lot of stretches than he’s supposed to be for his stage in development and despite Dinwiddie having an All-Star campaign. He’s still not close to being a franchise level 3rd or 4th level star like Siakam or FVV to Lowry/Kawhi.

He’s got maturity issues when it comes to different areas of his game despite being an incredibly smart guy and player but he has to grow up. This is what Russell could’ve looked like next to Kyrie at times and also, why Russell outshined Dinwiddie into 6th man.

It’s easy to say the quick fit is adding KD but we will need to really see how we fight out of this hole here going into next month or else...everyone like Dinwiddie or LeVert has to be on the table going forward to better our chances at a championship.

Kenny has to show and prove as well but I don’t think he’s at risk of a hot seat or anything until KD suits up.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,454

Post#204 » by Papi_swav » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I honestly realized that watching this team right now is just not fun at all. Last season I was having fun, win or lose. This season, it isn't fun at all any more, even before Kyrie came back the team just let go of the rope and it doesn't seem like they're going to snap out of it. This is who they are and it won't shock me if they can't rebound vs the upcoming schedule full of non playoff teams. They'll probably lose some of those games too.

Either way, between all of the drama with people attacking kyrie, the injuries, and just disappointing play from the team it honestly sinks my mood watching this stuff. I'm starting to question if it's even worth it...I'm not finding any joy in this. We are worse than we were last year and frankly that in itself is an ominous sign going forward even with KD coming back next year.

Sounds like you're ready to throw in the towel...
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#205 » by Papi_swav » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I honestly realized that watching this team right now is just not fun at all. Last season I was having fun, win or lose. This season, it isn't fun at all any more, even before Kyrie came back the team just let go of the rope and it doesn't seem like they're going to snap out of it. This is who they are and it won't shock me if they can't rebound vs the upcoming schedule full of non playoff teams. They'll probably lose some of those games too.

Either way, between all of the drama with people attacking kyrie, the injuries, and just disappointing play from the team it honestly sinks my mood watching this stuff. I'm starting to question if it's even worth it...I'm not finding any joy in this. We are worse than we were last year and frankly that in itself is an ominous sign going forward even with KD coming back next year.
Been saying this for a while. I noticed the alarming signs early in the season, but yall told me I was being kneejerk. Hate to say it but this team has a very long way to go. I'm patient right now because I do feel that we have the pieces to make moves in the summer (and we probably will). But yeah, this season is a disaster, and there's really no other way to spin it. Most things that could have gone wrong for us this season have gone wrong. Players have regressed or are underperforming, constant injuries, the effort and grit isn't there anymore, and the team is painfully weak mentally. We got beat up by the Sixers tonight on our own home court, and it's not the first time an opposition team has done that to us this season.

Disaster is when things go wrong and the wheels come off and you are looking up in the standings at the hawks and knicks.

Disaster is not when things go wrong and you hold the fort/8 seed whethering the storm.

The schedule is about to get alot easier. we should be close or at .500 by the break. if we ended up the 7 or 8 seed, and faced miami would you think we had no chance given how we have played them so far and match up?

I think we have a chance against Miami. But every other team will spank us. Especially Raps and Celtics.
clo12345
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#206 » by clo12345 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:15 am

Why does Kurucs continue to not get many minutes? Kenny needs to man up and play the best players.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#207 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:36 am

MGrand15 wrote:
If we go 2-6, we'd be 20-30.

And? thats 10 games under .500. the teams behind us are 13 games or more under .500.

The guys are human. Technically, this is a transitional year but internally, the team still had 44 to 47 win expectations. When teams underperform, that's when you start getting issues. Injuries have been a factor but we're still just 5-10 with Kyrie.

I disagree a billion pecent. i dont think this organization views it as over or under performing. and they put very little on 1 year outlook. even if durant where here i dont think they would have that mentality. they are building something bigger than single year win totals. 5-10 with Kyrie is also completely misrepresentative. 3 of those loses where injured before being shutdown. 2 of those loses we had the game won but our guys missed both free throws at the end of regulation. these last 2 were just back from injury. there is 0 sample size on kyrie. in the organzations mind they are more like 0-0 with kyrie cause we havent had a real stretch of healthy play from him.

No pressure. and none of those things are really possible. thats why we felt it was so important to build culture... to insulate vs that. any adversity actually makes the team tigher and takes away pressure. i think this team is as loose as its ever been and as optomistic as ever.... why? because this team doesnt judge themselves by wins and they dont have a short term emotional outlook.

we are in great shape. given injuries we are about 5-6 games better then we could have hoped
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#208 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Been saying this for a while. I noticed the alarming signs early in the season, but yall told me I was being kneejerk. Hate to say it but this team has a very long way to go. I'm patient right now because I do feel that we have the pieces to make moves in the summer (and we probably will). But yeah, this season is a disaster, and there's really no other way to spin it. Most things that could have gone wrong for us this season have gone wrong. Players have regressed or are underperforming, constant injuries, the effort and grit isn't there anymore, and the team is painfully weak mentally. We got beat up by the Sixers tonight on our own home court, and it's not the first time an opposition team has done that to us this season.

Disaster is when things go wrong and the wheels come off and you are looking up in the standings at the hawks and knicks.

Disaster is not when things go wrong and you hold the fort/8 seed whethering the storm.

The schedule is about to get alot easier. we should be close or at .500 by the break. if we ended up the 7 or 8 seed, and faced miami would you think we had no chance given how we have played them so far and match up?

I think we have a chance against Miami. But every other team will spank us. Especially Raps and Celtics.

we wont play the celtics, they will be a 6 seed. they will get bounced in round 1
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#209 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 am

Prokorov wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Sixers are just a terrible matchup for us.

I kind of disagree. I think we are a good matchup... we just havent been able to close it out. the last game was the second of a back to back on the road with Caris/Kyrie sitll getting their sea legs back. we were handling them through 3 quarters. Last night we beat ourselves, with riddiculous turnovers in the 4th, we again were up 10+ after 3.

We need Kyrie back in full force. he isnt going to turn it over 5 times late. he can steady the ship. he is a shot maker to end runs and great ball handler.

Still waiting for this team at full strength. if we can have everyone but jordan for the next 8 games we should go 6-2 or 7-1

First time in a while, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Prok.

As a team, our strengths exploit their weaknesses, and their strengths exploit our weaknesses. We just need mental poise and focus to close out games. I really believe that it's more psychological than physical exhaustion, that is leading to blown 4th quarters.

Kyrie just needs to do less to close out games. He *thinks* that being a leader is hoisting shots when we're shell-shocked. I applaud the effort but I completely disagree in the method, and data seems to side with me. Irving can still shoot, but not twice as often as the rest of the game. That's when defenses sag on him, and in that mode he doesn't have the presence of mind to kick it out when he is double teamed in crunch time.

His emphasis should be controlling the tempo of the game, and getting us into our sets. He's never been a pass-first dude, and I don't need or expect playmaking wizardry from him. Instead, if he can concentrate on having zero 4th-q turnovers, and keeping a steady hand, that would be enough.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,313

Post#210 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:52 am

Papi_swav wrote:

I am, and I am embarrassed to admit it because I told another poster not to give up yet but I don't know why these guys can't finish games.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,313

Post#211 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:54 am

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

There is 0 pressure.

Bingo.

If the Nets cannot climb out of this hole, things might get ugly.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#212 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 am

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

we wont play the celtics, they will be a 6 seed. they will get bounced in round 1

I don't understand why you are so confident in saying that. Celtics can very much be the 2nd seed, they are within a few games of the spot. And they just blew the Lakers out. And I think they can get past the 1st round depending on who they play.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#213 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:59 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

I am, and I am embarrassed to admit it because I told another poster not to give up yet but I don't know why these guys can't finish games.

I'm glad you're on board. Remember how you and Prok acted when I said I was ready to punt the season? I forgive you though.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,589

Post#214 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:25 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Been saying this for a while. I noticed the alarming signs early in the season, but yall told me I was being kneejerk. Hate to say it but this team has a very long way to go. I'm patient right now because I do feel that we have the pieces to make moves in the summer (and we probably will). But yeah, this season is a disaster, and there's really no other way to spin it. Most things that could have gone wrong for us this season have gone wrong. Players have regressed or are underperforming, constant injuries, the effort and grit isn't there anymore, and the team is painfully weak mentally. We got beat up by the Sixers tonight on our own home court, and it's not the first time an opposition team has done that to us this season.

Yeah, early on I was patient because we were winning games, but I think after 40 games I can see the writing on the wall. This season is a waste and this team is probably not making the post season, which in itself isn't a bad thing because it gives us a lottery pick that can be used to trade to add the proper pieces. I think Caris LeVert and Taurean Prince should be absolutely shopped and even Jarrett Allen if need be. We only have 3 years to get this right and we can't waste time with guys who are inconsistent and underperforming. I hate to say this, but we need to start breaking a few eggs here.

But you hit the nail on the head. The grit and effort that this team had over the last few seasons is gone. Which in itself is disappointing considering that we have guys from those teams still here. I don't see the same energy and fight from these guys.

I'm not blaming the new guys for that either but something happened where this team just isn't playing hard as they have and it's disappointing and frankly, not enjoyable to watch. Part of what made the Nets fun in the Marks/Atkinson era is how competitive they were. This team isn't competitive, they are guaranteed to lose as they get outworked in every 4th quarter. I can easily see the Lakers blowing us out, and catching upset losses versus the Knicks and Pistons.

I tried to stay positive but I just can't anymore. Honestly a piece of me wishes we still D'Angelo Russell and the guys from last year. At least it was fun. This year it isn't fun and the media is obsessed with Kyrie which makes it aggravating to see a Nets player get attacked constantly. I dunno. I hope Kenny can figure this out and turn it around. But as this roster stands now, even with KD at 100% this is not a contender and we need to change that. We need to see what the cost will be for Covington first and foremost because we need someone with his skillet set.
I feel you, man, it has been tough watching this team this season. I still think we'll make the playoffs as 8th seed (or 7th), because that's testament to how bad the bottom of the East is. But this is definitely not where we wanted to be. Our goal for this season was to prove that we could be a good team without KD, so that when KD comes back next season, we're ready to contend. But we've failed spectacularly in achieving that. And I know that player injuries have played a big part, but we still have regression in nearly every player this season. Even Spencer who most would say has had a great season, his efficiency is down a lot compared to last year.

The most disheartening thing has been the lack of effort, concentration, and energy in a lot of games this season. I don't care about D Lo, and the rest of the guys from last year, none of them are doing very well right now. And if we still had them, we would still be disappointing right now. But things must change going forward, and Marks will need to make major improvements to this roster in the summer. I'm content and patient right now, because I know that we can get the pieces we need if we play our cards right, and we can contend. But yeah, this season is just an audition at this point for a lot of these players, and for us to evaluate who we want to keep, and who needs to go.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,589

Post#215 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 am

So the two best teams in the East on paper are the worst matchups for us in the league? That's not good. Until we learn how to defend against these teams and execute on offense, we aren't going anywhere, with or without KD. Simmons played the best game of his career against us on Monday. Before that, Tobias torched us in Philly. These guys aren't that good, but we make them look that good.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#216 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Sounds like you're ready to throw in the towel...

I'm glad you're on board. Remember how you and Prok acted when I said I was ready to punt the season? I forgive you though.

it was ridiculous then and its even more ridiculous now....

punt the season when we are a playoff lock just getting our best players back and headed into a stretch of very winnable games? Again, this board had the mental toughness of a toddler who had their milk taken away.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#217 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

So the two best teams in the East on paper are the worst matchups for us in the league? That's not good. Until we learn how to defend against these teams and execute on offense, we aren't going anywhere, with or without KD. Simmons played the best game of his career against us on Monday. Before that, Tobias torched us in Philly. These guys aren't that good, but we make them look that good.

lol at the "with or without KD" part...

like having the leagues best player wouldnt help executing late in games. like it some mystery and we need to learn how to defend or score. We are giving the ball to role guys late, opponents are giving it to giannis, simmons, butler. when we have kyrie back we have a guy we can go to. when we have durant back we have 2 guys.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#218 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 am

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

it was ridiculous then and its even more ridiculous now....

punt the season when we are a playoff lock just getting our best players back and headed into a stretch of very winnable games? Again, this board had the mental toughness of a toddler who had their milk taken away.

uh ohhh MDB do u see what your pal is saying about you. I have to give you alot of props Prok, you are very optimistic. Positive thinking will take one a long way. But we ain't going anywhere this year so idk what you're talking about. The farthest we'll go is the 2nd round, if we can even make the playoffs.

Return to Brooklyn Nets