Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: GT: ROUND 2 Nets @ Bucks | 5.4.2021 @ 7:30 on TNT 

Post#201 » by CalamityX12 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:46 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Embarrassing. And Nash is just standing there watching the team implode.

Nash postgame: i did nothing wrong, i was perfect, team needs to play better.

Nash on Bucks 16-1 run, "yea maybe I should've called a timeout "

Smh
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#202 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:48 am

10 missed free throws. that hurt.
24 points in the paint allowed in the 4th (with some FTS there too)

That was killer in a 5 point loss.

Giannis proved last game was an abberation. 11-30 and 33% from three. he did hit his FTs though.

I didnt rewatch the whole game but watching the 4th quarter again...

We got up 6m and then just some bad basketball. miscommunicaiton leads to an easy bucket. then landry tries to go at lopez, misses, falls down, and they get an open 3 to cut it to 1. huge momentum shift. then they took the lead.

Nash came back with Green/Brown up front. such a horrific thing to do. Blake was great. Green had been awful. you have to go blake or claxton there. and if you are going green, you cant negate his smallball by putting a non-shooter at PF. KD and Harris both missed several open looks from three. KD rushed a shot.

Mike James was great. he should have closed the game instead of joe harris.

The ONLY time we ran pick and roll vs. lopez was with mike james and it resulted in 8 straight points and 2 missed wide open threes. why were not taking advantage of the leagues worst pick and roll big is again a blunder.

not taking a timeout on that 16-2 run is even more cringe worthy on a rewatch when you know its coming

ALOT of uncalled contact and our guys chirping. Nash NEEDS to get a technical foul. he lets the refs son us all the time

No one on the bucks besides jrue could check Kyrie. he cooked divincenzo, fobres, tucker, middleton... why we arent running tons of screens to hunt a switch was odd.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#203 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:49 am

We're in good shape, though we were never as bulletproof as some touted. Hopefully, this was a cold shower and a humbling reminder. We need to improve.

I was glad to see Kyrie and Kevin take on the challenge of firing us to victory, when so many other role players were out of their depth in this game. Those role players like DJ and Joe really need a playmaker to face his defenses like Milwaukee, and I think we'll be covered in that department soon, so I'm not distraught there.

Steve is a concern, though I can't completely discredit him. As others mentioned, lesser coaches would have folded or busted a gasket at all of the craziness that we've endured. He's handled it with aplomb, and I commend him for it. The problem is that outside of all of the organizational leadership excellence, he's got to coach X's and O's. I think that for much of the season, he didn't want to muck with data-driven approaches, so he stuck with bad strategy just to get a sample size. But by now, you cannot lean on those things. You have to be able to read and react like a HoF point guard. Thankfully, he is! I fully believe he can, he's just got to get out of his own way, and act on his instinct. The time is now.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#204 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:49 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Embarrassing. And Nash is just standing there watching the team implode.

Nash postgame: i did nothing wrong, i was perfect, team needs to play better.

Nash on Bucks 16-1 run, "yea maybe I should've called a timeout "

Smh

he needs to go. on top of being awful at his job he takes 0 accountability and throws his team under the bus
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#205 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 3:53 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:We're in good shape, though we were never as bulletproof as some touted. Hopefully, this was a cold shower and a humbling reminder. We need to improve.

I was glad to see Kyrie and Kevin take on the challenge of firing us to victory, when so many other role players were out of their depth in this game. Those role players like DJ and Joe really need a playmaker to face his defenses like Milwaukee, and I think we'll be covered in that department soon, so I'm not distraught there.

Steve is a concern, though I can't completely discredit him. As others mentioned, lesser coaches would have folded or busted a gasket at all of the craziness that we've endured. He's handled it with aplomb, and I commend him for it. The problem is that outside of all of the organizational leadership excellence, he's got to coach X's and O's. I think that for much of the season, he didn't want to muck with data-driven approaches, so he stuck with bad strategy just to get a sample size. But by now, you cannot lean on those things. You have to be able to read and react like a HoF point guard. Thankfully, he is! I fully believe he can, he's just got to get out of his own way, and act on his instinct. The time is now.

There is nothing to turn around. he is an awful coach. he is 100% going to cost us a title.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#206 » by Pablo Escobar » Wed May 5, 2021 4:11 am

Coaching and defense will be your achilles heel. Nash hasn't shown that dog in him to check his players when they're slacking. Also the inability to guard on the perimeter and in the paint is worrying. Now having the big 3 will most likely get you a title but still it's a lot less stressful when you can lock up the other team for stretches and score on the other end at will. And from the little I've seen DJ play he should be cut, what pathetic effort and dude barely moves around unless he's going up for a lob.
Plata o Plomo?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#207 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:13 am

I had predicted these Milwaukee losses when the 2nd half schedule came out. Hats off to the Bucks; not to be chauvinistic, they handled business at nut-cutting time. It doesn't make the L's any easier to swallow, but we're still in a really good position to finish strong and enter the postseason healthy.

One thing is for sure: we cannot afford to wait for Harden or Dinwiddie to return, before we decide to care about the little things that lead to greatness. Their playmaking can mask a ton of ugly and lazy decisions, but if they aren't fully healthy, we need to be ready not to have to use them as a crutch. Steve needs to make smarter, quicker decisions. Kevin needs to carve up defenses and feed our role players. Kyrie needs to fight through every screen. Joe needs to shoot confidently and stop driving when opponents crowd his airspace. Do that, and our PG's won't feel like the weight of our title hopes depend on their rehabilitation.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#208 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 4:14 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:Coaching and defense will be your achilles heel. Nash hasn't shown that dog in him to check his players when they're slacking. Also the inability to guard on the perimeter and in the paint is worrying. Now having the big 3 will most likely get you a title but still it's a lot less stressful when you can lock up the other team for stretches and score on the other end at will. And from the little I've seen DJ play he should be cut, what pathetic effort and dude barely moves around unless he's going up for a lob.

Defense isnt a bit issue. anyone who watches this team know the defensive issues are inflated. Coaching is a real issue though and could cost us.

DJ was fine. keep at 15 minutes and he is a valuable role player.

nash has to go
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#209 » by Pablo Escobar » Wed May 5, 2021 4:18 am

Prokorov wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:Coaching and defense will be your achilles heel. Nash hasn't shown that dog in him to check his players when they're slacking. Also the inability to guard on the perimeter and in the paint is worrying. Now having the big 3 will most likely get you a title but still it's a lot less stressful when you can lock up the other team for stretches and score on the other end at will. And from the little I've seen DJ play he should be cut, what pathetic effort and dude barely moves around unless he's going up for a lob.

Defense isnt a bit issue. anyone who watches this team know the defensive issues are inflated. Coaching is a real issue though and could cost us.

nash has to go

Defense doesn't seem to be a big concern for Nash though and D'antoni has always thought it was an afterthought. It honestly looks like they're banking on the big 3 to score at will and the other team can get there's but you guys have more firepower lol. I wonder who else you guys could've got to coach before Nash got the hire.
Plata o Plomo?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#210 » by Prokorov » Wed May 5, 2021 4:20 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

nash has to go

Defense doesn't seem to be a big concern for Nash though and D'antoni has always thought it was an afterthought. It honestly looks like they're banking on the big 3 to score at will and the other team can get there's but you guys have more firepower lol. I wonder who else you guys could've got to coach before Nash got the hire.

We get stops. our defense is pretty solid. issue is we give opponents 15-20 more possessions then we have due to turnovers and second chances. We could play more defenders, but we go 5-out and small too much for no reason. its good for long stretches, its not good for 40+ minutes.

We didnt need to sign a coach. should have just rolled with Jaque Vaughn.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#211 » by Tha King » Wed May 5, 2021 4:24 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:You can't blame the bench for this. Starters came in and pissed everything away. The bench built a lead, then lost the lead, but overall, played Milwaukee even.

The starters can't get a stop at all.

Opposing teams have their choice of undressing our defense with a single, solid screen to either Harris or Irving. It's an issue that needs addressing yesterday.

Kyrie has looked like a neutral defender at worst to me this season. Harris, however.... :o

Interested to see how Nash utilizes Harris in the playoffs. He seems to be your biggest liability on defense and only adds to your rebounding issues.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#212 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:45 am

Tha King wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:You can't blame the bench for this. Starters came in and pissed everything away. The bench built a lead, then lost the lead, but overall, played Milwaukee even.

Opposing teams have their choice of undressing our defense with a single, solid screen to either Harris or Irving. It's an issue that needs addressing yesterday.

Kyrie has looked like a neutral defender at worst to me this season. Harris, however.... :o

Interested to see how Nash utilizes Harris in the playoffs. He seems to be your biggest liability on defense and only adds to your rebounding issues.

Welcome, T K.

You are correct, in other aspects Irving has been a positive for us defensively. It's just his P&R defense is so leaky, and that's the play where teams head crack us down the stretch in tight games. Kyrie is not ever going to be great at this aspect of defense, but he's been better than this against the P&R with other coaches. Our coaching staff just needs to give it the proper attention and guidance.

And yeah, Harris. He's improved defensively, he seems to know his limitations and doesn't bite on shot fakes or jab steps as much anymore. But no matter what, he's limited there.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,591

Post#213 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 4:55 am

Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Yall acting like we got blown out over these two games, when in reality, there were narrow wins that went into the final minute of the game. Obviously, its hugely disappointing to lose these two games to a contender but they're fully healthy, we weren't even close. If we're in a playoffs series against Bucks or Sixers with just KD & Kyrie, we're likely **** regardless anyways.

Last game was not an issue. tonight was a different story
It is a different story but the excuses remain the same. And it starts with them being full strength, while we're missing a MVP candidate and our best overall defender is limited due to getting hit with health & safety protocols last week.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,591

Post#214 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 4:56 am

Tha King wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Joe Harris is my biggest concern (out of all key players) heading into playoffs. What I saw from him these last two games is a really worrying sign of how he can look in the playoffs. Liability defensively, and getting suffocated offensively.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#215 » by Tha King » Wed May 5, 2021 5:13 am

Prokorov wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

nash has to go

We get stops. our defense is pretty solid. issue is we give opponents 15-20 more possessions then we have due to turnovers and second chances. We could play more defenders, but we go 5-out and small too much for no reason. its good for long stretches, its not good for 40+ minutes.

We didnt need to sign a coach. should have just rolled with Jaque Vaughn.

I think the turnover and execution aspect is simply a byproduct of a lack of gametime - how many games has this version of the Nets from the game today played together? Five?

I agree about small ball and rebounding. You don't really have too many plus rebounders amongst your regular rotation as is aside from Harden (assuming KD is playing most of his minutes at PF) so you need all of the size and athleticism you can put out there.

Also, where did this Mike James come from? I would not be surprised if he snatches PT from Shamet and even Harris in the playoffs. Always room for guys who can create off the dribble and he seems to have an ability to get to the paint with ease and find guys.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,687

Post#216 » by andrewww » Wed May 5, 2021 5:35 am

These losses to the Bucks are good for some humble pie. The reality is that against contenders in the playoffs, Nash wont likely win us games by outcoaching the opponent. It will come down to Harden elevating the role players because less we forget, KD and Kyrie are not guys that are playmakers that bring out the best in the others.

The Nets are still in a good position as long as Harden is back healthy, but are by no means bullet proof.
andrewww
General Manager

Post#217 » by andrewww » Wed May 5, 2021 5:39 am

MGrand15 wrote:This was easily the worst "big" game we've played all year. Our role players did nothing to impact the game. Kyrie and KD got all their buckets off isolations and pure talent. I honestly don't understand this effort after we played such awesome ball against Phoenix who's also an elite defense.

Milwaukee just wanted it more and outplayed us big time. These games make it more obvious we need Harden badly against Philly and the Bucks. If our roleplayers are going to be useless against tough defenses - we might be better off just throwing in more defensive oriented guys. Bruce Brown, Claxton, Tyler Johnson, even Alize Johnson. Harris hit 4 3s but Milwaukee was not worried about him at all. We had zero spacing out there.

And we played KD + Kyrie 40 minutes each. Just a disaster game.

The Bucks and Sixers have size and physical defenders to gang up on KD and Kyrie when Harden isnt in the lineup.

Tucker and Jrue as the main guys on KD/Kyrie, and take your chances with everyone else making plays. Harden would aleviate that aspect but obviously his absence plays a major role in that for now.

Phoenix doesnt have the team size to limit the Nets offensively.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,071

Post#218 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 6:49 am

andrewww wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:This was easily the worst "big" game we've played all year. Our role players did nothing to impact the game. Kyrie and KD got all their buckets off isolations and pure talent. I honestly don't understand this effort after we played such awesome ball against Phoenix who's also an elite defense.

Milwaukee just wanted it more and outplayed us big time. These games make it more obvious we need Harden badly against Philly and the Bucks. If our roleplayers are going to be useless against tough defenses - we might be better off just throwing in more defensive oriented guys. Bruce Brown, Claxton, Tyler Johnson, even Alize Johnson. Harris hit 4 3s but Milwaukee was not worried about him at all. We had zero spacing out there.

The Bucks and Sixers have size and physical defenders to gang up on KD and Kyrie when Harden isnt in the lineup.

Tucker and Jrue as the main guys on KD/Kyrie, and take your chances with everyone else making plays. Harden would aleviate that aspect but obviously his absence plays a major role in that for now.

The Bucks do have elite defenders to throw at us in a way that the Sixers do not.

Who guards KD on the Sixers? Tobias Harris?

Good luck.

With the Bucks we have to overwhelm them with offense and keep Giannis at bay. Claxton is a must and Harden puts us over the top.
andrewww
General Manager

Post#219 » by andrewww » Wed May 5, 2021 7:17 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
andrewww wrote:

The Bucks do have elite defenders to throw at us in a way that the Sixers do not.

Who guards KD on the Sixers? Tobias Harris?

Good luck.

With the Bucks we have to overwhelm them with offense and keep Giannis at bay. Claxton is a must and Harden puts us over the top.

Bucks are the tougher matchup for the Nets imo as well, but Harden is compulsory against the Bucks. The key is limiting Middleton and Jrue. Make Middleton drive and create off the dribble. The reality is that the Nets will need to outscore the Bucks and they are the one team in the east with the firepower to make it interesting.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#220 » by NyCeEvO » Wed May 5, 2021 11:32 am

I’m so tired of coach after coach coming and talking about how defense is the #1 priority and yet the team fails to do the simplest things on defense to stop opponents.

With Kenny, it never guarding the ball handler on PnRs no matter what and always leaving the midrange wide open.

With this team, I don’t know if they’re attention spans are so short or they simply don’t care because they believe their offense is enough, but DEAR GOD…I’m so tired of us working hard to score and seeing the opposition set a simple back screen and get wide open layups.

It simply comes down to effort and awareness. So IMO either they don’t care enough to be bothered defending or they’re not smart enough. Either way, it’s been a problem all season and I’m tired of it. This team has turnstile defense. Is it really that hard to give the slightest bit of resistance on defense?

Return to Brooklyn Nets