ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets - In Season Moves & Possible Trade Ideas

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Re: Nets - In Season Moves & Possible Trade Ideas 

Post#2041 » by shakendfries » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:Got to say, this season really turn a turn after the Booker trade. Not that it was all predicated on the trade since a ton of injuries started happening, but that was really a turning point I feel.

I'm starting to lose faith in the Okafor project, too. I'd still bring him back for sure... but I'm not holding out hope for him to be anything more than a stand-in for Allen for the rest of his career. Allen is just way more mobile and has the higher BBIQ.

Allen's skillset is better built for the league nowadays. We saw slow plodding centers die slowly watching Brook Lopez get PnRed to death late in games already. Okafor might be an above average rotation player - which is a good thing. And he probably has more defensive potential than Lopez based on athleticism (brook had mad foot surgeries that definitely slowed him down a bit).

Look at how Zeller had a tremendous impact with the Nets earlier this season. Kanter has made a career out of being an offensive center, and has played on pretty good teams too. Okafor is someone can contribute + the Nets could keep on a good contract until he overperforms more modest expectations.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,531

Post#2042 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Got to say, this season really turn a turn after the Booker trade. Not that it was all predicated on the trade since a ton of injuries started happening, but that was really a turning point I feel.

I'm starting to lose faith in the Okafor project, too. I'd still bring him back for sure... but I'm not holding out hope for him to be anything more than a stand-in for Allen for the rest of his career. Allen is just way more mobile and has the higher BBIQ.

Allen's skillset is better built for the league nowadays. We saw slow plodding centers die slowly watching Brook Lopez get PnRed to death late in games already. Okafor might be an above average rotation player - which is a good thing. And he probably has more defensive potential than Lopez based on athleticism (brook had mad foot surgeries that definitely slowed him down a bit).

Look at how Zeller had a tremendous impact with the Nets earlier this season. Kanter has made a career out of being an offensive center, and has played on pretty good teams too. Okafor is someone can contribute + the Nets could keep on a good contract until he overperforms more modest expectations.

Zeller dropped 14 and 8 last night for the Bucks while backing up Thon Maker, he's a solid basketball rotational player imo. There's a place for big guys but yes, guys like Allen are going to be most sought after because of their mobility, shot blocking, and PnR scoring ability.

A guy like Okafor can still have a place in the league. he's not a scrub. but he's not going to be starting caliber because he has to really improve his defensive habits.

I think it would be silly for the Nets to offer him more than 5-6 mil per season for him to stay, but if he is willing to take a slight increase from his rookie scale for 2/3 years why should we give up on him? He has come in and done whats asked, but he needs a lot of work on not only how he fits into our system but also his body and he needs to improve his jumpshot. I see no reason why we should rush a talented 21 year old big out of the door based off of no training camp and a small body of work.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#2043 » by twosevenstreet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I'd offer our 2019 pick and 2022 pick for Kwahi right now
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#2044 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:I'd offer our 2019 pick and 2022 pick for Kwahi right now

sign me up for that as well. im not for win now moves but if you can get a 26 year old top 5 player you do it
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2045 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

i'd put protections on the 2022 pick but yes i'd do this.

All Nets
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#2046 » by All Nets » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:09 pm

I wouldn't trade picks for Kawhi. The dude has one year left before a player option. No way he sticks around with us. At best we finish as a first round out next season? That's IF we don't sustain major injuries (extremely unlikely).

Keep our young core, keep our picks and go with the long-term rebuild.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,651

Post#2047 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm

I’d rather offer those picks and salary relief for a top 7 pick this year as opposed to Kawhi.

~8 years of control over a 19 year old is better than a year or two of Kawhi.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2048 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

I’d rather offer those picks and salary relief for a top 7 pick this year as opposed to Kawhi.

~8 years of control over a 19 year old is better than a year or two of Kawhi.

If that's the case we'd be better off retaining our picks since 2019's class will be stacked with talent.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2049 » by Prokorov » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am

All Nets wrote:I wouldn't trade picks for Kawhi. The dude has one year left before a player option. No way he sticks around with us. At best we finish as a first round out next season? That's IF we don't sustain major injuries (extremely unlikely).

Kawai alone gets you 45 wins and to the second round in the east. then depending how guys develop and who we put around him. you dont get many chances to land top 5 players in their prime/under 30. if we can do it we do it no questions asked.

Dinwiddie | Crabbe | Kawai | RHJ | Allen

DLo | Levert | Harris | Cunningham | Acy

Thats a solid team let alone if you can add a vet big to compliment allen (tyson chandler?)

If Kawai returns healthy we could be looking at 50 wins and the ECF.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2050 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 am

Prokorov wrote:
All Nets wrote:I wouldn't trade picks for Kawhi. The dude has one year left before a player option. No way he sticks around with us. At best we finish as a first round out next season? That's IF we don't sustain major injuries (extremely unlikely).

Kawai alone gets you 45 wins and to the second round in the east. then depending how guys develop and who we put around him. you dont get many chances to land top 5 players in their prime/under 30. if we can do it we do it no questions asked.

Thats a solid team let alone if you can add a vet big to compliment allen (tyson chandler?)

The Nets would most likely have to give up another young asset as well. But I agree, if Leonard is on the table you spare no expense.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2051 » by Prokorov » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The Nets would most likely have to give up another young asset as well. But I agree, if Leonard is on the table you spare no expense.

id really have no issue including anyone... id prefer to keep Allen if possible since you want that mobile big who can defend and finish but push come to shove i include him.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#2052 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:03 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249075/Ersan-Ilyasova-Near-Buyout-With-Hawks

use Lin's DPE to sign him for the rest of the season. i think he's a nice fit over there. 6'10 pf who can shoot the 3 at a good rate is hard to find. I'd even play him over guys like acy and carroll just cuz we need more size and consistent shooting at pf.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2053 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

id really have no issue including anyone... id prefer to keep Allen if possible since you want that mobile big who can defend and finish but push come to shove i include him.

That would be pretty painful. Allen and 2019/2022? i'd rather take Allen off of the table and let them pick from the remaining young guys. Bigs like Allen are a hot commodity right now and the point would be imo in a trade to set yourself up to form a championship team. so Allen would be a must keep.

i'd even be willing to package LeVert/RHJ + pick/carroll's expiring for him but only with the assurances that he'll resign with the team.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2054 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 am

IceManBK1 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249075/Ersan-Ilyasova-Near-Buyout-With-Hawks

use Lin's DPE to sign him for the rest of the season. i think he's a nice fit over there. 6'10 pf who can shoot the 3 at a good rate is hard to find. I'd even play him over guys like acy and carroll just cuz we need more size and consistent shooting at pf.

with 20 games left I don't see the reason at this point. Cunningham has been pretty decent at PF. Illyasova isn't going to move the needle.

All Nets
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#2055 » by All Nets » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 am

Prokorov wrote:

There is no way Kawhi alone getes this team to 45 wins and the 2nd round, particularly considering the maturity of our team. Our only other vets would be... Acy and maybe Lin if he's around somehow? The starting 5 is very inexperienced, particularly in the playoffs and Kawhi isn't going to will his way deep into the playoffs like we saw LeBron do for multiple seasons. RHJ, LeVert, and D'Lo are 23, 23, and 22 years old with Allen under 20.

Crabbe, Dinwiddie, and Harris would make great role players next to Kawhi but we'd need at least one other all-star to make the team consistently good.

And all this is without considering injuries at all. Kawhi will be coming off an injury plagued season. It's unlikely the other core guys will go through the season unscathed as well.

But let's say the stars align and we do get to 45 wins and get bounced in the 2nd round next year. Do you honestly think that's enough to persuade Kawhi to stay BKN? Furthermore, if he stays, do you think by the time Kawhi is 29-30 in 2022 we'll have somehow attracted enough FAs while keeping RHJ/DLo/LeVert/Dinwiddie on reasonable contracts to make a push for contender status?

Way too many whatifs for me. Like you often repeat, we are in the 2nd year of a full 5 year rebuild. The culture has for the most part been rebuilt from the previous establishment, once we get our draft picks our talent level will follow.

Return to Brooklyn Nets