2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#221 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:19 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:So if the rockets offer jalen green and all of our picks back for bridges you still wouldn’t do it?

178%, a resounding yes.

Unless you tell me it’s a mortal lock we’re getting say both Mitchell and Markkanen, or one of Doncic, Ja, or Jamal Murray or SGA specifically, and dealing Bridges prior ends it, 189% yes.

Then deal DFS and Dinwiddie at minimum, hire a development coach before the draft(Or maybe JC is actually that), let Cam Thomas become Ham Thomas.

Start the real rebuild with a stacked war chest and a top 7 pick. Let’s. Go.

how do you view green vs whitmore vs thompson?

havent watched a ton of rockets games but green gives off serious cam thomas vibe. so id prefer whitmore or thompson personally. also 2 extra seasons of cheap control.

and ironically even if they did all the stuff you mentioned, i think id still consider adding murray.

murray
camT
walker/whitmore/thompson
camJ
clax (or sharpe if they get a good enough trade for clax)

simmons 6th man.

obviously a better team with bridges, but that's a viable roster that owns its' own picks plus a bunch of others.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#222 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:21 pm

Claud wrote:
winforlose wrote:Kinda incomplete thought. I understand if you hate it, I am still trying to figure it if it is worth anything. But thought I would share it and see what you think.

Nets out: Claxton, DFS, and Cam Thomas
Nets in: Naz Reid, Kyle Anderson, Leonard Miller

Reid becomes your starting C and Miller is a backup PF that could be eventual starter. Kyle Anderson could be rerouted or kept at your discretion.

The Wolves reroute Claxton, keep DFS and Cam Thomas and use the shooting to help the spacing.

I could be off on this, I just want feedback, no insult is intended.

In what universe is this fair for us? :lol:

In the universe where Naz Reid is as good or better than Claxton because of the things he can do that Claxton cannot, and the money involved. In the universe where Cam is in his third year and Miller is in his first. Where Cam is a negative defender and Miller is a likely two way player. The Kyle for DFS part is where things get iffy. I don’t think we move Miller without DFS because either way we lose Anderson next year and want someone who can wing defend to replace him. I also don’t think we keep Claxton or you keep Anderson. I think both sides want a third team to help balance this. Again, I am not claiming this is a final trade, this is a rough idea that I am not even sure is good. I just wanted a Nets prospective of the value of the players involved.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,635

Post#223 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:31 pm

winforlose wrote:
Claud wrote:
winforlose wrote:Kinda incomplete thought. I understand if you hate it, I am still trying to figure it if it is worth anything. But thought I would share it and see what you think.

Nets out: Claxton, DFS, and Cam Thomas
Nets in: Naz Reid, Kyle Anderson, Leonard Miller

Reid becomes your starting C and Miller is a backup PF that could be eventual starter. Kyle Anderson could be rerouted or kept at your discretion.

The Wolves reroute Claxton, keep DFS and Cam Thomas and use the shooting to help the spacing.

I could be off on this, I just want feedback, no insult is intended.

In what universe is this fair for us? :lol:

In the universe where Naz Reid is as good or better than Claxton because of the things he can do that Claxton cannot, and the money involved. In the universe where Cam is in his third year and Miller is in his first. Where Cam is a negative defender and Miller is a likely two way player. The Kyle for DFS part is where things get iffy. I don’t think we move Miller without DFS because either way we lose Anderson next year and want someone who can wing defend to replace him. I also don’t think we keep Claxton or you keep Anderson. I think both sides want a third team to help balance this. Again, I am not claiming this is a final trade, this is a rough idea that I am not even sure is good. I just wanted a Nets prospective of the value of the players involved.

That world is not Earth.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,192

Post#224 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:16 am

If the Nets have any sense they would trade Bridges for all of our picks back.

Its now obvious that not only can Bridges not be the best player on a title team. Its unlikely he can be the best player on a playoff team.

Hes just a role player. Hes not worth all those picks.

What we need at this point is a hard rebuild.
Decipher
Sixth Man
And1: 1,566

Post#225 » by Decipher » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:35 am

The solution is obvious

DFS & Din to Mavs for Kyrie

Then we trade Simmons, Royce and a pick to his hometown of LA for LeBron

Job done 8-)
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,527

Post#226 » by Stone » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:29 am

VC wrote

I mean if they could realize that doing a long rebuild and drafting a franchise player and supporting cast, then maybe trading for, or signing a 2nd star would actually build a generational fan base and wind up packing the joint for good, maybe we would get somewhere.

It’s not like the team has a large, ravenous fanbase to begin with, they haven’t had a period since the Finals runs, or at least VC when we’ve sold out most games.

I love Bridges, really do, one of my favorite players since Villanova, but if we could bring in a good prospect, get all our picks back, then clear the roster to add as many future 1sts as possible, it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Mitchell and Doncic are also in my top 10 favorite current players, but Doncic being on the block is so far away, possibly never, and Mitchell is a great player, but not generational. Let’s cut the fat away and start the youth movement.

With all those other unprotected picks we have, along with the Sixers and any we get from DFS, Dinwiddie, O’Neale, maybe even Clax… then add Clowney and Whitehead into the mix, and if we got Whitmore or Green in the deal?

Stop star chasing, stop star **** ing for just a few years, pull the bandaid the **** off!

We both know Tsai won’t though. His ego and his business savvy, he’s only seeing buy the best, buy his way to the chip.

It might come down to how much longer Joe Tsai want to own the team. If his plan is another 5 to 8 years, he might go for a rebuild. The franchise like everything else way up value compared to what it was when it was purchased. But if he looking to sell soon he will likely try for a quick fix.

I think people are suing what Detroit is going through and nobody wants any part of that. But on the other hand it might be the right way to go.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Decipher
Sixth Man

Post#227 » by Decipher » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:33 am

Stone wrote:
VC wrote

I mean if they could realize that doing a long rebuild and drafting a franchise player and supporting cast, then maybe trading for, or signing a 2nd star would actually build a generational fan base and wind up packing the joint for good, maybe we would get somewhere.

It’s not like the team has a large, ravenous fanbase to begin with, they haven’t had a period since the Finals runs, or at least VC when we’ve sold out most games.

I love Bridges, really do, one of my favorite players since Villanova, but if we could bring in a good prospect, get all our picks back, then clear the roster to add as many future 1sts as possible, it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Mitchell and Doncic are also in my top 10 favorite current players, but Doncic being on the block is so far away, possibly never, and Mitchell is a great player, but not generational. Let’s cut the fat away and start the youth movement.

With all those other unprotected picks we have, along with the Sixers and any we get from DFS, Dinwiddie, O’Neale, maybe even Clax… then add Clowney and Whitehead into the mix, and if we got Whitmore or Green in the deal?

Stop star chasing, stop star **** ing for just a few years, pull the bandaid the **** off!

We both know Tsai won’t though. His ego and his business savvy, he’s only seeing buy the best, buy his way to the chip.

It might come down to how much longer Joe Tsai want to own the team. If his plan is another 5 to 8 years, he might go for a rebuild. The franchise like everything else way up value compared to what it was when it was purchased. But if he looking to sell soon he will likely try for a quick fix.

I think people are suing what Detroit is going through and nobody wants any part of that. But on the other hand it might be the right way to go.

Tsai has just been made chairman of Alibaba and might not care too much unless the Nets start costing him money

Seems likely that this is what’s behind his “no rebuild/tank” stance
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#228 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:47 am

I don't get the romanticized fascination with wanting to go through a multi-year tank. Tanks take years of suck, luck and development. This team already has good relatively young pieces. Why rush to become Detroit or Charlotte?
Decipher
Sixth Man

Post#229 » by Decipher » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:21 am

How many picks for this guy?

Read on Twitter
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,034

Post#230 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:17 pm

Claxton being available along with DFS/Din/Oneal is a telling sign that could mean nets are trying to the contention route once again. I don’t know and don’t trust marks or tsai anymore. If the nets rebuild, trading Claxton would be asinine considering his development. Even if he costs you money, it’s an investment you make for a young player
FREE PALESTINE
Netaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Post#231 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:15 pm

NetsWorld wrote:Claxton being available along with DFS/Din/Oneal is a telling sign that could mean nets are trying to the contention route once again. I don’t know and don’t trust marks or tsai anymore. If the nets rebuild, trading Claxton would be asinine considering his development. Even if he costs you money, it’s an investment you make for a young player

i think it's just a question of return. he is a rental so if he is bringing back more than poeltl since he is the better player, you consider it. they can spend money in the summer on anyone they want and get better in addition to trading claxton. could even spend to bring him back (though unlikely).

i dont mind them considering any trade right now if there's another team offering value.

i dont want to see them make any bad deals, but at the same time it will be frustrating if they remain in this limbo they've been in for the last year post-KD trade. the second it went down we all knew this all 3&d wings experiment was non-traditional. they gave it a shot and at times it looked ok, but they need to get busy living with a more traditionally balanced lineup or get busy dying by selling off some of these "highly coveted by playoff team" veteran wings whose value is going to rapidly diminish as they continue to slow down and get closer to FA.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,207

Post#232 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:59 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I don't get the romanticized fascination with wanting to go through a multi-year tank. Tanks take years of suck, luck and development. This team already has good relatively young pieces. Why rush to become Detroit or Charlotte?

That's what I worry about too. There's a huuuuuuuge possibility that once we start the rebuild, that we're stuck in it for 5+ years, like the Hornets and Pistons, like you said.
There's no guarantee we end up like OKC. Which is what I think most people think will happen. :lol:

I totally get both sides of the argument though.

I think if we can keep the picks beyond 2026, and still make moves to get a guard like Murray or Young, and maybe move Claxton for a Markkanen, then that also makes sense. We can see what a 3 year window of that team looks like, and then still have the Suns/Mavs/Philly/our own picks in a few years. And this isn't taking into account what would happen with Simmons next year.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#233 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 235

Post#234 » by ChuckS » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:37 pm

I followed my one time home team for decades. I endured at least a portion of "trusting the process" before giving up, because of acute agita, and then following Iguodala to Denver and then GS to watch real basketball again. I think it has taken eleven years for the Sixers to get to the point where they can compete for a championship but, most likely, still not prevail. One year of limbo is unpleasant, but that was tortuous. I look to trading, not for picks, but similar to what the Knicks have done getting Brunson, and now Anunoby. We really have enough draft picks for trade purposes, and it seems any more would similarly not be from teams likely to be in positions to draft a superstar.

I think we are a scoring point guard and like power forward away from being in a better position to then look to getting a superstar. That latter possibility is remote right now while looking to avoid the repeater tax and with Simmons being a year away from trade consideration. I do not understand the arguments for not using our tradable assets to get a Murray, or particularly, Mitchell. (If the cost for Donovan is not prohibitive.) And I knew Siakam was out of reach, and probably Markkanen, but a Grant or Kuzma, with a guard, who is also an above average point "getter" would make us immediately infinitely more competitive, IMHO. I just question whether it is possible without suffering the repeater tax.

I, personally, would try to afford and Keep Bridges and Claxton, particularly, and Sharpe, Walker, Cam T, and however many others from what I think is a core of good players. I admit to having some early concerns about Thomas, but after watching closely, feel his uncanny scoring ability outweighs all else, particularly since he seems to be working on any shortcomings. I further acknowledge that my thinking differs drastically with the recent obsession with trading for picks. I attribute that to a lack of patience, mostly age related.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 705

Post#235 » by Lamak » Sat Feb 3, 2024 11:53 pm

this probably one of the biggest offseason in franchise history
Brooklyn Nets
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#236 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Feb 4, 2024 1:25 am

Lamak wrote:this probably one of the biggest offseason in franchise history

Honestly, I think that's 2025's offseason. They're going to still stay below the tax next season.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#237 » by Tha King » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:52 am

TheNetsFan wrote:I don't get the romanticized fascination with wanting to go through a multi-year tank. Tanks take years of suck, luck and development. This team already has good relatively young pieces. Why rush to become Detroit or Charlotte?

regaining control of the picks would be more rebuild than tank. A rebuild doesn't always equal several years of ineptitude. The Pistons and Hornets are where they are for a multitude of reasons just like the Bulls (which would be an example on the other end). Orlando, Memphis, Houston, OKC, San Antonio, and Cleveland come to mind as teams that have had varying levels of rebuilds the past few years.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#238 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:39 am

Tha King wrote:

regaining control of the picks would be more rebuild than tank. A rebuild doesn't always equal several years of ineptitude. The Pistons and Hornets are where they are for a multitude of reasons just like the Bulls (which would be an example on the other end). Orlando, Memphis, Houston, OKC, San Antonio, and Cleveland come to mind as teams that have had varying levels of rebuilds the past few years.

And those teams went through years of poor play, and still have no real playoff success to show for it. Same with Minny, the Process, etc.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,538

Post#239 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:21 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I’m trying to translate that DFS quote. It’s the obvious right? That the 2 picks is not going to happen, and he’s probably going to bring back an expiring or a TPE and one mediocre pick? That’s what I’m reading there and that’s what I’m expecting.

I think the two pick thing is three fold. Old news from last deadline(how didn’t they move him for two picks at the time, malpractice imho), Nets FO trying to pump his value up, third team who has one decent pick to trade trying to scare away potential suitors.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,538

Post#240 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:33 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Tha King wrote:

And those teams went through years of poor play, and still have no real playoff success to show for it. Same with Minny, the Process, etc.

I mean most of these teams have largely been mismanaged and drafted poorly, and not just in hindsight. And yet they’re still on the cusp of contention. That’s saying something.

But even that said, all these teams now have legitimate franchise players, some of them generational level talent.

But maybe the Nets go the OKC route and try and land a Paul George return for Bridges if he’s dealt. A high level young prospect still on rookie scale they truly believe is on the verge of a total breakout, with franchise player potential and a few lightly to unprotected picks way out?

Could Indiana be that team? Maybe Bennedict Mathurin is that guy? Maybe they send some far out picks with him? Indiana is too young for most of those picks to have a chance to be really high, but one injury can change everything for one year and one draft. And maybe Mathurin is that dude?

I do think it’s highly more likely we keep Bridges and trade for a better player he will compliment though, while holding two of the 5 Dallas/Phoenix picks and swaps, by next deadline at latest.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets