ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: ROUND 2 Nets @ Bucks | 5.4.2021 @ 7:30 on TNT

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Re: GT: ROUND 2 Nets @ Bucks | 5.4.2021 @ 7:30 on TNT 

Post#241 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed May 5, 2021 7:06 pm

DJ and Jeff Green were our worst players yesterday. More mins had to go towards Bruce Brown and Clax.

I won't overreact too much since it's still just a regular season game but these were bad back to back losses, especially because I feel like Nash was really bad/exposed in both games.

Having Harden back should help but are we even sure if he'll be fully healthy? If it's just KD and KAI, Nash has to be better and I don't really trust him.

Hopefully the assistant coaches offer more advice/be more vocal during game in the playoffs.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#242 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:08 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I can't say something like this after what we saw.

Harden covers up a lot of stink, especially coming from the coach, but he can't box out everyone's man on the defensive glass for them and alter shots at the rim. Nash needs to play guys that are going to hustle and defend. Joe Harris has been a non factor in two straight games against a high level opponent. KD has been a turnover machine.

Coach Bud made Nash look like he has no business coaching at the NBA level. I'm sick to my stomach after these last two games. I have zero confidence in this team right now to even get out of the 1st round unscathed if things don't tighten up.

I can they both right. When I was chirping at Kyrie stepping up you guys crucified me without taking any second thought. KD is not play maker or floor raiser for his teammates either.

Harden is the key if we win chip or not. If you guys didn't get the memo yet we heavy iso team that can't get any easy baskets without elite playmaker.

Y'all picking everywhere and ready to blame anyone. They all good/great role players, coaching is top 5 for sure. Go check other teams before jumping on Nash, we can do a lot worst.

We just missing Harden, that simple. Harden and KD will win chip for sure, Irving just makes it unfair others.

Kyrie being blamed is hilarious.

Its not his fault at all. You guys acting like offense was the main issue didn't watch the game.

Only offensive problems we had in the 4th were KD chucking up shots he couldn't hit.

Besides that it was defense and mainly rebounding.

Thats not Kyries **** job. He kept us in the game. We shot great from the field and from 3.

Harden is key to this chip run whether you agree or not. Him making our role players feel comfortable alone wins us both games. Its a chain reaction you not willing to acknowledge is not our problem.

• controlling pace is a defense.
• he's elite rebounder.

This two things alone change entire game. I wont even go into breaking down how it changes our rotations and let KD and Kyrie be assassins they are, let role players get easy touches for baskets etc.

I've said it before but it looks like it has to be mentioned every day. Harden has that J.Kidd effect that makes entire team play on a different level. Him, LBJ, CP etc players just that good.

Do I have to remind some that he was one broken CP wheel away from taking dynasty GSW out? All that choker stuff from haters is beyond laughable, it's dumb.

Both healthy KD and Harden is key to whether we win chip this year or not. It's that simple. If those two healthy you can switching Kyrie with Din or Caris and it won't make much difference, less entertaining for sure.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,591

Post#243 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 7:13 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Harden won't solve our core issues which is defense and rebounding.

No one's solving our core issues but Harden certainly does help improve in those areas. Harden is one of our better defenders, and he's actually our leading rebounder. Harden absolutely makes us better defensively, and he makes us better on the boards. He has quick hands, he's comfortable switching, he's strong af and can guard bigger guys in the post (we could actually use him against Giannis). He has his weaknesses defensively (lazy closing out or guarding on the perimeter) but the positives outweigh the bad, especially in playoffs when the effort level will be higher. There's also no question that he makes us better on the boards, the numbers back that up. As per Cleaning The Glass, we're both better defensively, and a better rebounding team with Harden on the floor than off the floor.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#244 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 7:18 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Tha King wrote:Kyrie has looked like a neutral defender at worst to me this season. Harris, however.... :o

Interested to see how Nash utilizes Harris in the playoffs. He seems to be your biggest liability on defense and only adds to your rebounding issues.
Joe Harris is my biggest concern (out of all key players) heading into playoffs. What I saw from him these last two games is a really worrying sign of how he can look in the playoffs. Liability defensively, and getting suffocated offensively.

What Kyrie and KD don’t seem to realize is that while they’re good enough to consistently score out of isolation, doing that consistently freezes out teammates. Role players rely upon the system and set plays to score.

This is why Harden is so key. As soon as Harden came to the Nets, he asked Joe and others where they like to shoot and where there shooting pocket is. That is a question that only PGs ask, because they know that if you want your role players to contribute on offense, you have to give them a system where they know where and when to expect the ball.

Too often, when KD and Kyrie come down on offense, I see the other guys clear out and stand by the wayside, not really knowing where to go or what to do. With Harden at PG, guys know their spots and have an expectation as to where they should be.

Harden can’t come back soon enough. He’s the conductor. We need him.
Harden certainly does a better job of supporting role players than they do, but it's also not a fair comparison as Harden is one of the all time great playmakers imo. I don't even think Kyrie and KD were doing a poor job with not creating for Joe Harris. I'll use Landry Shamet as an example. It's much easier for Shamet to get free and open against these defenses, even if he's not making his shots. Over the two games against Bucks, Shamet had higher shot attempts than Joe Harris did on a per minute basis. I think a large part of the reason is that Shamet is far more athletic than Joe (quicker to get free from defenders), and that Shamet actually often does a better job relocating on the floor.

I think Joe's lack of quickness and lack of on ball ability both will hurt us a lot in the playoffs, and top tier teams like Bucks & Sixers might effectively take him out of the game. Obviously having Harden helps but we still might see a struggle from Joe as we go deeper into the postseason.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#245 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:21 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Harden won't solve our core issues which is defense and rebounding.

All he will do is cover up those issues by making our offense even better. But Nash needs to figure out how to get more effort out of our guys.

KD and Kyrie walk around like theyve won something here already. They havent done **** in Brooklyn yet.

Guys need to be hungry. We should not be outhustled like that again.

In a game like this we should be playing high energy guys more like Bruce Brown, Alize Johnson, Tyler Johnson etc.

I don't need lazy **** like Jordan, Shamet and even Joe Harris at times. Jeff Green missing 4 easy FTs.

Even though TLC sucks he usually plays hard. That is the main thing we have been missing all season.

Its not lazy plays, its iso plays that make them watchers. Both KD and Kyrie thrive doing it. They won't win you games running double screens for others or getting them rhythm shots. They never done that before.

Coaches tried to maximize our best players abilities and it failed both times. Without easy baskets from role players you won't win games, let alone playoffs. You'd have to have Caris, Allen, Din, Joe and Shamet for that. Two playmaking guys, two sharp shooter and elite shot blocker and rebounder. We don't have that. You miss one thing and other things start failing too, its chain reaction that'll demoralize effort.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 663

Post#246 » by NetsJets » Wed May 5, 2021 7:23 pm

GTR11 wrote:
NetsJets wrote:We got bullied on the glass by the Bucks. I watched guys stand around instead of going after the ball. I saw a coach that looked clueless. It’s too late in the season for these issues to be still lingering.

Killing Nash for rotations is laughable. We top 3 team that put up most different starting line ups. Chemistry and all that other crap that he getting blamed for is a damn joke.

You’re getting killed on the glass. I know the solution. Continue playing small...
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#247 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 7:38 pm

NetsJets wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
NetsJets wrote:We got bullied on the glass by the Bucks. I watched guys stand around instead of going after the ball. I saw a coach that looked clueless. It’s too late in the season for these issues to be still lingering.

Killing Nash for rotations is laughable. We top 3 team that put up most different starting line ups. Chemistry and all that other crap that he getting blamed for is a damn joke.

You’re getting killed on the glass. I know the solution. Continue playing small...
We had plenty of guys on the floor who are capable of rebounding the ball. The funny thing is that we weren't even getting killed on the glass by their bigs necessarily, it was their GUARDS killing us on the glass. Even a weak small guard like Brynn Forbes had a crucial offensive rebound leading to Bucks points. 6'4" Donte Divicenzo had 15 (!) rebounds, including SIX offensive rebounds. That's not a size problem, that's an effort problem.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,071

Post#248 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 7:40 pm

GTR11 wrote:

All he will do is cover up those issues by making our offense even better. But Nash needs to figure out how to get more effort out of our guys.

KD and Kyrie walk around like theyve won something here already. They havent done **** in Brooklyn yet.

In a game like this we should be playing high energy guys more like Bruce Brown, Alize Johnson, Tyler Johnson etc.

I don't need lazy **** like Jordan, Shamet and even Joe Harris at times. Jeff Green missing 4 easy FTs.

Even though TLC sucks he usually plays hard. That is the main thing we have been missing all season.

Its not lazy plays, its iso plays that make them watchers. Both KD and Kyrie thrive doing it. They won't win you games running double screens for others or getting them rhythm shots. They never done that before.

Coaches tried to maximize our best players abilities and it failed both times. Without easy baskets from role players you won't win games, let alone playoffs. You'd have to have Caris, Allen, Din, Joe and Shamet for that. Two playmaking guys, two sharp shooter and elite shot blocker and rebounder. We don't have that. You miss one thing and other things start failing too, its chain reaction that'll demoralize effort.

Again offense isn't the main issue.

Its not iso plays which stops players from getting a defensive rebound.

There were several plays where I saw guys just watching as the Bucks grabbed rebounds which lead to 2nd chance points.

You keep acting like offense is the main issue because its fits your narrative.

We shot great from the field last night and from 3.

Does Harden elevate the offense to another level? Yes.

But issues like defense and rebounding are not because we are missing him.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,071

Post#249 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 5, 2021 7:43 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

No one's solving our core issues but Harden certainly does help improve in those areas. Harden is one of our better defenders, and he's actually our leading rebounder. Harden absolutely makes us better defensively, and he makes us better on the boards. He has quick hands, he's comfortable switching, he's strong af and can guard bigger guys in the post (we could actually use him against Giannis). He has his weaknesses defensively (lazy closing out or guarding on the perimeter) but the positives outweigh the bad, especially in playoffs when the effort level will be higher. There's also no question that he makes us better on the boards, the numbers back that up. As per Cleaning The Glass, we're both better defensively, and a better rebounding team with Harden on the floor than off the floor.

I'll it this way. We don't need Harden to improve in those areas.

These role guys are getting paid to do the things they are not doing.

If they don't step up and play hard we need to put in players that do. Like Alize Johnson, Tyler Johnson, more of Brown etc.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,506

Post#250 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 5, 2021 8:07 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

We had plenty of guys on the floor who are capable of rebounding the ball. The funny thing is that we weren't even getting killed on the glass by their bigs necessarily, it was their GUARDS killing us on the glass. Even a weak small guard like Brynn Forbes had a crucial offensive rebound leading to Bucks points. 6'4" Donte Divicenzo had 15 (!) rebounds, including SIX offensive rebounds. That's not a size problem, that's an effort problem.

Dudes were sitting there ball watching instead of trying to hit a body on the shot. This team has some really bad habits and we are 6 games away from the playoffs. I think we're **** ed.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#251 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 5, 2021 8:10 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I can't say something like this after what we saw.

Harden covers up a lot of stink, especially coming from the coach, but he can't box out everyone's man on the defensive glass for them and alter shots at the rim. Nash needs to play guys that are going to hustle and defend. Joe Harris has been a non factor in two straight games against a high level opponent. KD has been a turnover machine.

Coach Bud made Nash look like he has no business coaching at the NBA level. I'm sick to my stomach after these last two games. I have zero confidence in this team right now to even get out of the 1st round unscathed if things don't tighten up.

I can they both right. When I was chirping at Kyrie stepping up you guys crucified me without taking any second thought. KD is not play maker or floor raiser for his teammates either.

Harden is the key if we win chip or not. If you guys didn't get the memo yet we heavy iso team that can't get any easy baskets without elite playmaker.

Y'all picking everywhere and ready to blame anyone. They all good/great role players, coaching is top 5 for sure. Go check other teams before jumping on Nash, we can do a lot worst.

We just missing Harden, that simple. Harden and KD will win chip for sure, Irving just makes it unfair others.

Its not his fault at all. You guys acting like offense was the main issue didn't watch the game.

Only offensive problems we had in the 4th were KD chucking up shots he couldn't hit.

Thats not Kyries **** job. He kept us in the game. We shot great from the field and from 3.

Kyrie literally carried this team last night while Durant was turning over the ball and missing critical shots in the 4th. This is getting ridiculous.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#252 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 5, 2021 8:15 pm

Joe Harris needs to do a lot more than what he is doing now. He has been a non factor two straight games. He needs to start hitting the glass. Jeff Green as well. Hitting threes is great, but we need rebounds and neither of them are helping in that area.

GTR11
RealGM

Post#253 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:11 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

Again offense isn't the main issue.

Its not iso plays which stops players from getting a defensive rebound.

There were several plays where I saw guys just watching as the Bucks grabbed rebounds which lead to 2nd chance points.

You keep acting like offense is the main issue because its fits your narrative.

We shot great from the field last night and from 3.

Does Harden elevate the offense to another level? Yes.

But issues like defense and rebounding are not because we are missing him.

Again them not being involved with easy baskets creates all other issues. How often you heard all time great players keep saying it. Lack of energy comes due to that. Rebounding is pure effort thing.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#254 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

Kyrie literally carried this team last night while Durant was turning over the ball and missing critical shots in the 4th. This is getting ridiculous.

ridiculous thing is that he's not making others get easy baskets. Is he great iso scorer, you damn right but that don't mean sh** if you losing while doing it.

Kobe of all people said it thousands times. He had to get Odom, Gasol, Ariza etc touches for them to be great. Kyrie simply can't even do that. He don't understand flow of the game. I'm not asking him to be one, just be able to run basic set plays after P&R.

Some of you don't do enough research on other teams and thats ok. If you'd know that Bucks struggling to cover double screens and kick outs it would've changed entire dynamic of the game and narrative.

Damn Tatum can run basic sets.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#255 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:20 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

I say it's both, AND it's a strategic problem when we allow it to continue to dominate us.

In that crucial stretch of the 4th where Donte gobbled up boards and Milwaukee went on their big run, Mike James was guarding him. 6'4 and lanky versus 6'1 and not lanky is a big size discrepancy. James needs to do better boxing out, he deserves some responsibility for sure. Budenholzer recognized it and attacked it, while Steve was slow to change it, almost knuckle-headed in refusing to adapt.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
GTR11
RealGM

Post#256 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:24 pm

NetsJets wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

DJ is a big body how did that help? You got anyone else to suggest?
Blake washed up, anything beyond 20 min and he's wheels going to fall off.
Nic? That guy can't even get his conditioning right just because he miss every other game.
Anyone else? Perry? Who?
GTR11
RealGM

Post#257 » by GTR11 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:31 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
NetsJets wrote:You’re getting killed on the glass. I know the solution. Continue playing small...

I say it's both, AND it's a strategic problem when we allow it to continue to dominate us.

In that crucial stretch of the 4th where Donte gobbled up boards and Milwaukee went on their big run, Mike James was guarding him. 6'4 and lanky versus 6'1 and not lanky is a big size discrepancy. James needs to do better boxing out, he deserves some responsibility for sure. Budenholzer recognized it and attacked it, while Steve was slow to change it, almost knuckle-headed in refusing to adapt.

I don't even know how you guys trashing Nash simply because he has no ther options. James shouldn't even be on the team if Harden and Dinwiddie here healthy. Brown just got back from sore foot that had him sitting games. Nic, same thing. Who else can step up and help, Alize?
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#258 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 5, 2021 9:44 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
NetsJets wrote:You’re getting killed on the glass. I know the solution. Continue playing small...

So what do you propose Nash should have done there? Keep in mind that Mike James was having a really good offensive game, making the right reads and making his shots.
Suwanee
Junior
And1: 174

Post#259 » by Suwanee » Wed May 5, 2021 10:12 pm

Why didn’t Alize play last night? Was he injured? We surely could’ve used his energy off the bench.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#260 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed May 5, 2021 10:36 pm

I'll answer both GTR11 and DarkXaero. What should Nash have done differently? COACH EM UP!

If he insists on using my James in that undersized SG role, you have to be in his ear with clear instructions on boxing out whenever a shot is up. You also have to be clear with Joe Harris to keep his head on a swivel for pindowns and backdoor cuts. There are so many situations where a more hands-on approach would benefit us. Not every player is going to know exactly what adjustments to make, that's the whole entire reason a coach is there.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets