Sean Marks/Kenny Atkinson Exit interview

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Re: Sean Marks/Kenny Atkinson Exit interview 

Post#41 » by shakendfries » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Claud wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:or how about how Brown and Tatum in Boston are kicking ass in the playoffs. We sure could have used those guys on this roster. I wonder how that happened?

oh yeah.

3 years in, you're goddamn right it's still Billy's fault.

Unbelievable.

He set us back minimum 3-5 years.

We could have been basically done rebuilding if we had Marks instead of Billy in the early 2010s.

Worst GM ever. :noway:

He had all of the assets/tools to create a great culture/team but botched it. He just acquired big names without caring about system or fit.

deron should've never been given the keys to the franchise :nonono: King made every decision on the idea that deron was a generational superstar
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#42 » by Claud » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Claud wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:or how about how Brown and Tatum in Boston are kicking ass in the playoffs. We sure could have used those guys on this roster. I wonder how that happened?

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

We could have been basically done rebuilding if we had Marks instead of Billy in the early 2010s.

He had all of the assets/tools to create a great culture/team but botched it. He just acquired big names without caring about system or fit.

deron should've never been given the keys to the franchise :nonono: King made every decision on the idea that deron was a generational superstar

Deron trade wasn't great but not backbreaking. The issues started with the Wallace trade and King's lack of vision of what he was trying build... he just went after whoever became available and hoped it stuck/worked.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#43 » by DeRoma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Claud wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Claud wrote:

Deron trade wasn't great but not backbreaking. The issues started with the Wallace trade and King's lack of vision of what he was trying build... he just went after whoever became available and hoped it stuck/worked.

It doesn’t matter deron was the catalyst of the whole problem. King was just a dumb GM. However the players he got weren’t that bad. Derons diva attitude was the epidemic of why we were not good. He was simply not a product of a system and he saw his numbers thinking he can be a franchise guard with the way we treated him. We could’ve went very deep with the talent we have even if they were old.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,605

Post#44 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Claud wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Claud wrote:

The problem started with the Deron trade, because it set off a series of panic moves to get him to re-sign.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#45 » by shakendfries » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Claud wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Claud wrote:

Dude was getting paid $92m when he was benched for Shaun Livingston. If you're the highest paid player on your team, the problem starts with you
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,313

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 pm

DeRoma wrote:
Claud wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

It doesn’t matter deron was the catalyst of the whole problem. King was just a dumb GM. However the players he got weren’t that bad. Derons diva attitude was the epidemic of why we were not good. He was simply not a product of a system and he saw his numbers thinking he can be a franchise guard with the way we treated him. We could’ve went very deep with the talent we have even if they were old.

King allowed Williams to hold this franchise hostage and he made a series of panic moves:

1) The Wallace trade once the Dwight trade fell through. Horrific trade. Had he held onto that pick, James Harden could have been a Net. Let that sink in.

2) The Joe Johnson trade where we failed to get any assets of value. We should have been given an unprotected 1st round pick to take that contract back.

I won't say that the Boston trade was a panic move. It didn't really need to be done. On paper at that time, that trade looked like it could make the Nets an actual contender. The madness starts and ends with there being no protections on those picks and all of the swaps. There should have been an adult in the room that looked at that and says "we can't do this deal without protections".
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#47 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:30 pm

^ James Harden?! Don't you mean Dame Lillard?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,483

Post#48 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:^ James Harden?! Don't you mean Dame Lillard?

Same summer Harden was traded for the Toronto pick, a heavily protected future 1st and Jeremy Lamb. Toronto pick wound up 11th overall iirc the following draft.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#49 » by Mosdefinition » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Read on Twitter

sounds like Sean Marks might be ready to trust the process

Gotta love that kind of job security

Eh maybe we will try to win games this year or next year

Wink wink nudge nudge even though I've been here 3 years it's still Billy's fault

What exactly do you want them to do? That kind of job security is a good thing, or else he'd probably be trying to sign every overpriced older vet he could find and trading away most of our youth for semi-stars as well, striving to win 37 to 44 games for a few years.

things that would have made sense

signing veterans when you don't have draft picks makes sense
then you tank and develop when you have draft picks

i can judge based on the comments here no one is happy with the roster and are ready to trade a guy we would have jumped for joy for to have a chance at drafting dlo how does this strategy make sense if they trade dlo and cut bait with rhj caris etc.
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#50 » by Mosdefinition » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 am

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

heres the problem you assume the team bottoms out with any other gm with no draft picks thats the issue

im reading page after page of people complaining about the roster but who put this team together
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#51 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 am

Mosdefinition wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:Gotta love that kind of job security

Wink wink nudge nudge even though I've been here 3 years it's still Billy's fault

What exactly do you want them to do? That kind of job security is a good thing, or else he'd probably be trying to sign every overpriced older vet he could find and trading away most of our youth for semi-stars as well, striving to win 37 to 44 games for a few years.

i can judge based on the comments here no one is happy with the roster and are ready to trade a guy we would have jumped for joy for to have a chance at drafting dlo how does this strategy make sense if they trade dlo and cut bait with rhj caris etc.

The point of the GM and the vision of Marks and co. specifically is not to make the fans feel less bad about awful moves the GM prior to him made at the cost of long term sustainability and growth.

It's not like he could have went out and signed LeBron and Millsap and Al Horford and Gordon Hayward and Mike Conley, anyway. These guys did not want to come to this situation at any cost. They found huge contracts in good to great situations.

Again, I do not see what you wanted him to do? He has at least acquired 2 kids who are obvious long term pieces and a few others who are at least assets and the tank could be on for 2019 and a bunch of late draft picks.

Instead you wanted him to max out Marvin Williams and Rondo and kept Thad Young and been the most competitive 33 win 11th seed in the East! Or at least that's how it feels. Because there isn't a realistic scenario out there where we could have even been a 35 to 42 win treadmill for 3 years. Even the over the hill max guys found those identical to better max deals elsewhere, there haven't been good player salary dumps out there for years and none of the 2nd fiddles wanted to come here either.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#52 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 am

Mosdefinition wrote:

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

heres the problem you assume the team bottoms out with any other gm with no draft picks thats the issue

im reading page after page of people complaining about the roster but who put this team together

Billy King did. I don't usually say stuff like this to board regulars because it comes across as an insult, but you're in total denial.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#53 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:^ James Harden?! Don't you mean Dame Lillard?

No, the pick should have been used as a trade asset once OKC made James Harden available for trade. Lilliard would have not been drafted by the Nets.

Billy King made a panic move and gave a solid asset away for pennies on the dollar. he clearly had no idea what he was doing.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#54 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:56 am

Mosdefinition wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:Gotta love that kind of job security

Don't misconstrue the fickle whims of fans with the front office's actual strategy. You have fans on here who want to trade everyone, and fans on here who see promise in the young players that marks has acquired. what matters at the end of the day is what Marks thinks about the players, and whether or not they are worth keeping or letting go.

Signing high priced veterans is a stupid idea because the Nets have several young assets. they need to play, learn, and grow.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#55 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 am

Mosdefinition wrote:

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

You need to address the people who are complaining directly and call them out by name.

Me? I like Russell, Dinwiddie, LeVert, RHJ, Allen, and Crabbe. would i balk at someone being traded in a move that betters the team overall? No. I trust Sean Marks. he has a good eye for talent.

the fact that Marks even has those players at his disposal is a miracle in itself. RHJ was Billy King's parting gift. the rest was Marks putting in work. and the fact that RHJ is even who he is right now is thanks to Marks hiring Kenny who brought the best out of him.

so...yep, the fact that we suck is Billy's fault. The fact that we have a young core of assets is all Sean Marks and his decision making.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#56 » by SpeedyG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:What exactly do you want them to do? That kind of job security is a good thing, or else he'd probably be trying to sign every overpriced older vet he could find and trading away most of our youth for semi-stars as well, striving to win 37 to 44 games for a few years.

The point of the GM and the vision of Marks and co. specifically is not to make the fans feel less bad about awful moves the GM prior to him made at the cost of long term sustainability and growth.

It's not like he could have went out and signed LeBron and Millsap and Al Horford and Gordon Hayward and Mike Conley, anyway. These guys did not want to come to this situation at any cost. They found huge contracts in good to great situations.

Again, I do not see what you wanted him to do? He has at least acquired 2 kids who are obvious long term pieces and a few others who are at least assets and the tank could be on for 2019 and a bunch of late draft picks.

Instead you wanted him to max out Marvin Williams and Rondo and kept Thad Young and been the most competitive 33 win 11th seed in the East! Or at least that's how it feels. Because there isn't a realistic scenario out there where we could have even been a 35 to 42 win treadmill for 3 years. Even the over the hill max guys found those identical to better max deals elsewhere, there haven't been good player salary dumps out there for years and none of the 2nd fiddles wanted to come here either.

Eh, I would have personally done similar to what he suggested. There's always a discussion of tank vs treadmill, and Marks was basically given a free excuse to treadmill all while building a culture here with hardworking veteran players.

As long as he didn't hamstrung us for 2019 when we got our pick back, I don't see how he couldn't have built a fringe playoff team (which quite frankly i think was king's plan, though I would not have trusted him to execute it).

I don't think it's no coincidence that year 1 Kenny/Marks Nets was often compared to Magic-led by Armstrong and Harpring types.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#57 » by DeRoma » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 am

Mosdefinition wrote:

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

Don’t think you understand my stance on why I’d be willing to trade. The truth of the matter is that I actually do love our current players. I mean what’s not to like? They all play hard and with a chip on their shoulders and at the same time they have shown potential to improve even more than what they were defined. Sean Marks has done a phenomenal job putting a together a team with this much talent. However when reality sets in we are going to have to pay these players. Sean Marks will soon have to make a big decision concerning our cap space. Even though I like what we have, I’m the type of person, when it comes to making a decisions, I won’t use my emotions as a variable. I will make the optimal option to find us a way for this team to become a dynasty. But if you ask me would I do the D’Angelo Russell trade? Hell yes 100% would i do the Carroll trade? Hell yes 100%. Would I do the Crabbe trade? Hell yes!!! He put us in a position that gave us a light at the end of the tunnel. He gave us assets nobody expects all around the league. I just want him to make an optimal move and continue the culture he has brought through the community. I love this team so much that I want this team to change people’s perspective into something bigger outside of basketball. This is what creates history and this is what brings unity. I just want to be a part of that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#58 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:things that would have made sense

Eh, I would have personally done similar to what he suggested. There's always a discussion of tank vs treadmill, and Marks was basically given a free excuse to treadmill all while building a culture here with hardworking veteran players.

As long as he didn't hamstrung us for 2019 when we got our pick back, I don't see how he couldn't have built a fringe playoff team (which quite frankly i think was king's plan, though I would not have trusted him to execute it).

I don't think it's no coincidence that year 1 Kenny/Marks Nets was often compared to Magic-led by Armstrong and Harpring types.

We actually have assets right now because of what Marks and Kenny have done. I really don't see any logic in the route he proposed.

Also...lets not forget that no one wanted to play here.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#59 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:39 pm

DeRoma wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:

oh yeah.

Unbelievable.

Don’t think you understand my stance on why I’d be willing to trade. The truth of the matter is that I actually do love our current players. I mean what’s not to like? They all play hard and with a chip on their shoulders and at the same time they have shown potential to improve even more than what they were defined. Sean Marks has done a phenomenal job putting a together a team with this much talent. However when reality sets in we are going to have to pay these players. Sean Marks will soon have to make a big decision concerning our cap space. Even though I like what we have, I’m the type of person, when it comes to making a decisions, I won’t use my emotions as a variable. I will make the optimal option to find us a way for this team to become a dynasty. But if you ask me would I do the D’Angelo Russell trade? Hell yes 100% would i do the Carroll trade? Hell yes 100%. Would I do the Crabbe trade? Hell yes!!! He put us in a position that gave us a light at the end of the tunnel. He gave us assets nobody expects all around the league. I just want him to make an optimal move and continue the culture he has brought through the community. I love this team so much that I want this team to change people’s perspective into something bigger outside of basketball. This is what creates history and this is what brings unity. I just want to be a part of that.

as bitter as it is to swallow since this is the most likable group of players we've had here in a long time, here's the reality:

1) not everyone is going to be paid

2) they are all viable trade assets. someone might be traded to make the team better overall.

Like say, if RHJ gets traded in July I will be sad, but I know that if he gets traded it will make the team better overall.

I don't think he'll be traded though. if there's anyone who I'd extend without question is him. he's a 3 point shot away from becoming an all star caliber talent.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#60 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:

as bitter as it is to swallow since this is the most likable group of players we've had here in a long time, here's the reality:

1) not everyone is going to be paid

2) they are all viable trade assets. someone might be traded to make the team better overall.

Like say, if RHJ gets traded in July I will be sad, but I know that if he gets traded it will make the team better overall.

I don't think he'll be traded though. if there's anyone who I'd extend without question is him. he's a 3 point shot away from becoming an all star caliber talent.

And that's why he's probably the guy with the most value on this roster, the guy between him and LeVert who rival GM's actually would give up a top 10 pick for and the guy who will get paid the following summer as a RFA.

That's why I have often recently advocated to trade him depending on whose available at said pick and why I can see Marks and co. dealing him. But that's why he'll also have real value after re-signing, so I don't think it's imperative they deal him for whatever they can get. They should only deal him if they think they're landing this year's Mitchell, or PG, or Kawhi, Hayward, etc.

Return to Brooklyn Nets