ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets Vs Sacramento Kings | 7:30 PM | 3-16-23

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 224

Re: GT: Nets Vs Sacramento Kings | 7:30 PM | 3-16-23 

Post#41 » by ChuckS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:35 pm

I realize that Dinwiddie and JV are our go to whipping guys, but I believe our problems were there much before them.

I keep reading about how stupid JV is, but after study learned that he had a 3.94 grade point average in high school and 3.72 at Kansas. He also studied under Popovich, who praises his basketball acumen, and apparently still is available to him for constant counsel. My only concern about Spencer is the drop in shooting efficiency (especially on threes) from Dallas. But I think that more affects his ability to save us than it is the cause of our problems.

My primary concern, again, was there before JV became coach and Dinwiddie arrived. It was mitigated, or mostly neutralized, by Durant. Of course the shooting is obvious. But after these recent games, it seems like every contender has a dominant center. Some have complained about going small, but we merely go smaller. We start off small. Our one guy with size weighs only 215 pounds. Our back up center and starting power forward is 6'7" and 220 pounds. Our only other competitive big is 6'6". Yuta is nice, but not the solution.

Last night was typical. We were out-rebounded by 16, 10 of them offensive boards. We probably would not have caught them anyway, but at a critical point at the end of the game, they had four offensive rebounds. Needless to say, if we can't board, we cannot run, and so we start with a problem on offense. But that pales in comparison to how much we lose on defense being unable to slow dominant "bigs".

I can't blame anyone for our current structure this year, because the team was designed around Durant. I'm hoping that by next year we have a "real" power forward, and another center, but with some bulk.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#42 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:56 pm

Paradise wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:JV can kick rocks btw

Since his extension we won 5 out of 12 games....

Incredible

There’s some serious static between Cam Johnson and JV. It was obvious postgame. Both literally are taking shots at each other.

Whatever went down will be kept hopefully internal but it’s there...sadly. Vaughn is an idiot on a lot of levels and this is why I didn’t want him extended long term yet. He’s a coach fit for a team trying to lose. Nothing more.

Oh shoot, what was said?

Cam Johnson too? Dang he seems such a good role model n reserved too, for him to get frictional is an eye opener for me
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#43 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:08 pm

ChuckS wrote:I realize that Dinwiddie and JV are our go to whipping guys, but I believe our problems were there much before them.

I keep reading about how stupid JV is, but after study learned that he had a 3.94 grade point average in high school and 3.72 at Kansas. He also studied under Popovich, who praises his basketball acumen, and apparently still is available to him for constant counsel. My only concern about Spencer is the drop in shooting efficiency (especially on threes) from Dallas. But I think that more affects his ability to save us than it is the cause of our problems.

My primary concern, again, was there before JV became coach and Dinwiddie arrived. It was mitigated, or mostly neutralized, by Durant. Of course the shooting is obvious. But after these recent games, it seems like every contender has a dominant center. Some have complained about going small, but we merely go smaller. We start off small. Our one guy with size weighs only 215 pounds. Our back up center and starting power forward is 6'7" and 220 pounds. Our only other competitive big is 6'6". Yuta is nice, but not the solution.

Last night was typical. We were out-rebounded by 16, 10 of them offensive boards. We probably would not have caught them anyway, but at a critical point at the end of the game, they had four offensive rebounds. Needless to say, if we can't board, we cannot run, and so we start with a problem on offense. But that pales in comparison to how much we lose on defense being unable to slow dominant "bigs".

I can't blame anyone for our current structure this year, because the team was designed around Durant. I'm hoping that by next year we have a "real" power forward, and another center, but with some bulk.

Teams can win without going large, I mean the finals last year was Warriors vs Celtics. Neither team have a 5 that can score better than Luc Longley or Nazr Mohammed

My question is right now where is our advantage? We can't match bigger teams for size but then we also can't score enough to consistently to utilise our smallness.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#44 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
ChuckS wrote:I realize that Dinwiddie and JV are our go to whipping guys, but I believe our problems were there much before them.

Teams can win without going large, I mean the finals last year was Warriors vs Celtics. Neither team have a 5 that can score better than Luc Longley or Nazr Mohammed

My question is right now where is our advantage? We can't match bigger teams for size but then we also can't score enough to consistently to utilise our smallness.

Its not so much scoring is needed from your 5 its the presence and BIG man role that the 5 spot should provide.

Robert Williams was a great 5 for the Celtics run and Looney has always been a reliable and champion at the 5 spot.

Now, controlling the boards, boxing out, pick n rolls, defensive awareness, reach, blocks... all those are more valuable than the actual need to score from the 5 spot when you have scorers already established.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 224

Post#45 » by ChuckS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:33 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

Its not so much scoring is needed from your 5 its the presence and BIG man role that the 5 spot should provide.

Robert Williams was a great 5 for the Celtics run and Looney has always been a reliable and champion at the 5 spot.

Now, controlling the boards, boxing out, pick n rolls, defensive awareness, reach, blocks... all those are more valuable than the actual need to score from the 5 spot when you have scorers already established.

I actually agree with both of you. Sashaturiaf identifies our current quandary, although I am not totally convinced we lack the scoring. There is a reason we have preseason, so I want to wait to build more of a comfort level with an all new starting lineup. The thing about the Celtics and Warriors though is that Boston has great size throughout the lineup, and GS has Green and a good rebounder like Looney among its four exceptional defenders. Neither will be overwhelmed by a star big.

I'm very pleased with Nic, and think he is a good choice with today's game. His rebounding has held up against all the all stars we have encountered recently. And Durant is a finesse player but with the size and skills necessary to have helped him against talent with bulk. I think we miss that. This is not to disparage DFS or Royce who I want on my team. They are long, and tough but, I think, asked to do too much against real size.

And my previous post was not a plea for scoring at the five. I'm happy with what Claxton gives us. Although it might be nice to be able to go inside out more when our shots are not falling. I just think we need even more size and bulk (with talent) to better defend, and rebound against, some of those guys we have faced recently, and a few others.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,491

Post#46 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:50 pm

Rastas wrote:Expecting Johnson , Yuta and Curry to walk this offseason , Sumner Cam and Ben all wishing to do the same but are still contracted - all would love to stay but with JV as coach - no way!

Phoenix will be delighted to get CamJ back and you know what , he becomes solid player again on their team , same as Yuta will

The same way Kessler showed us all last night , the guy saw the bench and bench only in Nash/Vaughn regime , given minutes he produce
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:00 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Cam Johnson is out of his mind if he thinks he is going to get 12M a year. He does nothing well and will continue to get exposed if he isn't playing with a star studded team

Hes really not as good as advertised.

Disagree, he was never advertised as a star , all star ,he was advertised as a solid role player

He is a role player with an upside , sadly this team can kill any player confidence, CamJ , CamT, Yuta, Kessler,Sumner , list is long

Watch suns games , who CamJ was there and who he is now , he collapsed ? NO , it’s our **** system

CamJ deserve 12M based on character alone , the same way Bruce Brown deserved but we choose to extend Mills over him , Marks is an idiot , BAR NONE
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:15 pm

Whole bunch of BS here

Did we design for Durant that Dinwiddie will chuck games away ?

Did we design for Durant that total zero of Joe Harris will get minutes instead of Yuta, CamT and Sumner

Did we design that Dinwiddie will be ideal ISO Durant and Kyrie replacement? Watch the game , don’t give me Vaughn school grades , those are irrelevant in current situation unless he wants to hang his diploma in Barclays instead of banners

Your words "Yuta is nice but not the solution " of **** course he is not the solution sitting on the bench , he was allowed last night to play few minutes and we cut the deficit only to be benched again for remaining of the game

Seriously if you think Vaughn and Dinwiddie it’s not the problem I don’t know what to say , needs new glasses maybe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#49 » by MGrand15 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:18 pm

I must not know anything about ball. JV and all the players post game are talking about rebounding. Everyone here is talking about size and centers.

We held them to 101. That's the trade off playing Claxton at 5 and going small. You get killed on the boards but you're quick enough to contest everything and make them miss. It worked. Sacramento AVERAGES 121 per game.

Did JV want us to hold them to 80 like a game from 2004?

The problem since the trades has been our offense. We show flashes but we can't even get to average as a team.

Our starting 5 is putting up an offensive rating of 107. For reference, the worst offense in the league BY FAR is Charlotte at 108.8. That number is absolutely brutal. Lineup numbers are usually way better than team numbers.

We're basically hoping our guys play historically elite defense. That's not sustainable. We need to figure out our offense and quick. And we need to stop overplaying guys if the result is going to be mediocre anyway.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:25 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I must not know anything about ball. JV and all the players post game are talking about rebounding. Everyone here is talking about size and centers.

We held them to 101. That's the trade off playing Claxton at 5 and going small. You get killed on the boards but you're quick enough to contest everything and make them miss. It worked. Sacramento AVERAGES 121 per game.

The problem since the trades has been our offense. We show flashes but we can't even get to average as a team.

Our starting 5 is putting up an offensive rating of 107. For reference, the worst offense in the league BY FAR is Charlotte at 108.8. That number is absolutely brutal. Lineup numbers are usually way better than team numbers.

We're basically hoping our guys play historically elite defense. That's not sustainable. We need to figure out our offense and quick. And we need to stop overplaying guys if the result is going to be mediocre anyway.

You can’t send Dinwiddie playing ISO for 20 seconds each possession like he is second coming from Durant and expect good offense , it’s not gonna work

What’s baffling, Vaughn doesn’t see that this is the problem , he **** defending in two post game interviews , he is blind , maybe they’re crypto partners with Spencer as well
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 687

Post#51 » by NetsJets » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I must not know anything about ball. JV and all the players post game are talking about rebounding. Everyone here is talking about size and centers.

We need to lean into our depth. That’s our “strength” so utilize it. No reason not to go 10/11 deep. I know in most cases that’s not ideal, but for us it’s necessary.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,480

Post#52 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Cam Johnson is out of his mind if he thinks he is going to get 12M a year. He does nothing well and will continue to get exposed if he isn't playing with a star studded team

Disagree, he was never advertised as a star , all star ,he was advertised as a solid role player

He is a role player with an upside , sadly this team can kill any player confidence, CamJ , CamT, Yuta, Kessler,Sumner , list is long

Watch suns games , who CamJ was there and who he is now , he collapsed ? NO , it’s our **** system

CamJ deserve 12M based on character alone , the same way Bruce Brown deserved but we choose to extend Mills over him , Marks is an idiot , BAR NONE

The system has nothing to do with Cam Johnson not hitting his 3s as well as he did in PHX. Furthermore, he cannot create his own shot, or create shots for others. This team does not have the personnel to give him more wide open looks. Cam J need to do more than that. He needs to be better than he ever was in PHX for this team to move forward
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,480

Post#53 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:26 pm

MGrand15 wrote:

This is not surprising. We have two 3 and D guys who aren't hitting their 3s, one rim running C, and 2 guards whose playmaking are mediocre at best.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,117

Post#54 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:04 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

The system has nothing to do with Cam Johnson not hitting his 3s as well as he did in PHX. Furthermore, he cannot create his own shot, or create shots for others. This team does not have the personnel to give him more wide open looks. Cam J need to do more than that. He needs to be better than he ever was in PHX for this team to move forward

Hes been a terrible shooter on wide open 3s. Thats undeniable.

As has DFS, and Dinwddie. We can't win games if those guys keep missing at this rate.

Return to Brooklyn Nets