ImageImageImageImageImage

All Things "Brooklyn Nets" Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

All Things "Brooklyn Nets" Thread 

Post#1161 » by Paradise » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:14 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Just curious if any of you guys have kept up with Hamidou Diallo? We were discussing on our board that if redrafted he would probably be taken late lottery, give or take a little. He’s just now getting back to where he was after the nasty fall in the golden state game. Not trying to rub anything in and he’s far from a proven player. I was curious what Nets fans thought when they drafted/traded him. His game definitely has some flaws and he’s extremely raw but his athleticism is off the charts.

We were pretty much a lock to draft him in 2017 after the combine but he returned to Kentucky, our plan B in that draft was ironically to stash Kurucs but he withdrew.

Fast forward to this year’s draft, alot of us were bummed we didn’t get to keep him after the deal was done with Howard but Kurucs has emerged as a Kirilenko lite prospect so I think everyone has forgotten about that.

Diallo always had the talent of a lottery pick and still is a hyped name out here in NYC. Queens native out of LeFrak City. Same building as Kenny The Jet Smith.

I’m happy the kid is making s name for himself and contributing especially after that injury. He’s a jumper away from being baby Oliadpio.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,853

Re: All Things "Brooklyn Nets" Thread 

Post#1162 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:27 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Just curious if any of you guys have kept up with Hamidou Diallo? We were discussing on our board that if redrafted he would probably be taken late lottery, give or take a little. He’s just now getting back to where he was after the nasty fall in the golden state game. Not trying to rub anything in and he’s far from a proven player. I was curious what Nets fans thought when they drafted/traded him. His game definitely has some flaws and he’s extremely raw but his athleticism is off the charts.

Honestly, I'd forgotten that we drafted him. The guy we picked before him, Rodions Kurucs, is really starting to emerge as a 2nd round steal and Dzanan Musa has been progressing nicely in the G League. He probably wouldn't have a role on this team tbh
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1163 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:32 am

The pick was gone pre-draft in the Mozgov dump, so there's no real "what-if" thoughts in Nets land. I do know there were reports that we were high on him pre-draft. Given Marks' draft record, I'm not surprised he's doing well if we were in fact high on him.
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#1164 » by Ettorefm » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:10 pm

So, Faried is back? What a great game.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1165 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Interesting series of tweets in which player rankings in 10 statistical categories were averaged & then ranked. 5 Nets placed in the top 100 of the rankings of average ranks.
Allen - #34, Avg. Rank 49.7
DLo - #45, Avg. Rank 60.9
Harris- #83, Avg. Rank 90.9
Davis- #87, Avg. Rank 94.9
Dinwiddie- #94, Avg. Rank 99.7

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: All Things 

Post#1166 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:26 am

My initial reaction to this post was suprised... "rub it in" indicates that Diallo is having a very good season but i havent heard a peep of him. I kind of just assumed he was getting DNP-CDs. I figured it must just be my ignorance and him being out west so i took a look on basketball-reference.

4 points and 2 rebounds and 17% from three? not really making me feel any different then i did the last 2 drafts, when i felt he was an overhyped guy who belonged in the second round who was living on combine jumping hype.

Kurucs has been outstanding. im glad he is a net and not Diallo.

nothing against Diallo, just felt he was over rated. i have nothing against the thunder i hope he proves me wrong and plays great for you guys. but as far as keeping up with him... i havent heard his name mentioned since draft day in here
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1167 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Celts fan coming in peace. I was curious how you guys felt about your team name. When you moved to Brooklyn I thought for sure there would be a name change. I know there is some ABA I story there but I just think there could be some added excitement with a real name instead of something like the Nets, backboards. Or out of bounds lines. I can’t believe they would continue with this name.
Is there’s any chance there’s a change in the future? I like the simple black and white unis.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

Post#1168 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:55 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:Celts fan coming in peace. I was curious how you guys felt about your team name. When you moved to Brooklyn I thought for sure there would be a name change. I know there is some ABA I story there but I just think there could be some added excitement with a real name instead of something like the Nets, backboards. Or out of bounds lines. I can’t believe they would continue with this name.
Is there’s any chance there’s a change in the future? I like the simple black and white unis.

Never had a problem with it. Would rather they not change it.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1169 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1170 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Feb 7, 2019 2:10 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

I might be wrong, but I believe the Forbes valuations include arena equity.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1171 » by gigantes » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:36 am

I've never actually been to a Bobblehead Night, but these are pretty cool!

(the makers must have upped their game at some point, because bobbleheads I remember from the past were pretty generic-looking)

Guy is looking for a Biggie bobble btw, willing to trade his extras if anyone wants to help him:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GoNets/comments/b4x0hr/hey_nets_fans_im_only_missing_the_biggie_bobble/
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#1172 » by NetsJets » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 pm

https://www.nba.com/nets/news/playoffs/2019/04/13/nets-vs-sixers-brooklyns-building-blocks-to-a-playoff-team

Nets vs. Sixers: Brooklyn's Building Blocks to a Playoff Team

Sean Marks took over as the Brooklyn Nets' general manager in February 2016, with the team in the midst of a 21-win season. Only one player remains from the roster Marks inherited — then-rookie forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. In year one under Marks and Kenny Atkinson, the Nets finished with the NBA's worst record, a 20-62 mark. Two years later, they've doubled that win total and claimed a playoff berth.

Here's a quick look at how Marks got started on building a playoff team.

365 DAYS

From June 23, 2016 through June 22, 2017, Marks acquired Caris LeVert, Joe Harris, Spencer Dinwiddie, D'Angelo Russell, and Jarrett Allen. That's four-fifths of this season's opening night starting lineup and a Sixth Man of the Year candidate, all within a single year. None were sure things. It took a combination of vision from the front office and development by the coaching staff.

The LeVert trade didn't become official until two weeks after the 2016 draft. In exchange for Thaddeus Young, the Indiana Pacers selected LeVert with the 20th overall pick. Injuries had ruined LeVert's final two seasons at Michigan, and after a third foot surgery, he wouldn't make his NBA debut until December. After a breakout start to the 2018-19 season was interrupted by injury, LeVert has been back in form over the season's final two weeks.

Next came two players that were there for any team in the league to grab — Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie. Harris had been traded and waived on the same day he had ankle surgery midway through his second season. The Nets signed him as a free agent in July. Dinwiddie started the 2016-17 season in the G League, cut by the Chicago Bulls in training camp after two seasons in Detroit.

Each has progressed steadily. Dinwiddie was a Most Improved Award finalist in 2017-18 after stepping into a starting role and demonstrating an ability to score in bunches and make clutch shots. He's been even better in 2018-19 as Brooklyn's second-leading scorer in a steady sixth man role. Harris has started every game he's played in this season and led the NBA in 3-point shooting, an amazing progression.

On February 22, 2017, Marks dealt forward Bojan Bogdanovic to the Washington Wizards for a first-round draft pick. Four months later, he selected Jarrett Allen with the 22nd overall pick. The lean and explosive 19-year-old left Texas after his freshman season, then slipped past No. 20 to the Nets. By the middle of his rookie season, he was Brooklyn's starter.

And then ...

D'Angelo Russell had been the No. 2 pick of the 2015 draft by the Los Angeles Lakers, but slowly fallen out of favor, particularly with new — and now newly departed — basketball boss Magic Johnson, amidst the rising presence of L.A. native and UCLA point guard Lonzo Ball, whom Johnson eyed in the 2017 draft.

Marks traded franchise scoring leader Brook Lopez and the team's first-round pick (No. 27 in a pick swap with Boston) in a swing for an All-Star caliber talent. And that's exactly what he got in return. After an initial season interrupted by knee surgery, Russell has thrived in his second year with the Nets. He's led the team in scoring and assists and shouldered a bigger responsibility while the Nets played without the injured LeVert or Dinwiddie. Russell made his first All-Star Game appearance in February, and then elevated his game afterwards.

THE VETS

From this trio, the Nets have gotten a combination of quality play and irreplaceable leadership. DeMarre Carroll came first. A favorite of coach Kenny Atkinson's from their days together in Atlanta, Carroll was taken off of Toronto's hands with two years left on his contract — along with the draft picks that became Dzanan Musa and Rodions Kurucs in exchange for ... wait for it ... Justin Hamilton. Carroll set career highs in points and rebounds in 2017-18, then played a reserve role after preseason ankle surgery slowed his start in 2018-19. He rolled into gear in January, then moved back into the starting lineup late in the season.

Carroll had the sage veteran role largely to himself in 2017-18. He was happy to have some new voices in the locker room this season. Respected throughout the league and known for his rebounding on the court, Ed Davis has rebounded at the best rate of his career in teaming with Jarrett Allen to shore up the center spot, where depth was a serious problem last season.

The Nets picked up Jared Dudley from Phoenix last summer, along with a second-round pick. The 12th-year forward has been praised by teammates for his leadership and wisdom, ended up starting the first 20 games of the season, and played some of his best basketball of the year over the final weeks.

THE ROOKIE

Before the season, Spencer Dinwiddie said all the Nets needed was for every player to be one-percent or two-percent better. He and others have done that, and more. But it doesn't hurt to have a lightning-strike, out-of-nowhere surprise to give a team another boost.

After some early appearances in which he impressed with his energy and a knack for making plays happen, second-round pick Rodions Kurucs has been a rotation regular — and a starter for most of that — since Dec. 7. The Nets went into their game against the Raptors that night with an 8-18 record and are 34-22 since. Kurucs has played the 4 and he's played the wing, he's played big minutes and short minutes, and throughout he's shown a disruptive athleticism that makes an impact.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1173 » by gigantes » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Dunno if anyone's going to see this post here, but this seems like the right thread for this. In short, a college student who worked for the Nets last summer shared his experiences the other day in a Reddit thread. Some others who also had experience dropped in to add comments. The result paints quite a positive picture... almost -surprisingly- positive in some ways.

I used to work for the Brooklyn Nets and wanted to give people a small peak behind the curtain

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoNets/comments/c5txvc/i_used_to_work_for_the_brooklyn_nets_and_wanted/

Sounds like a great org to work for, really.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1174 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:30 am

Read on Twitter
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1175 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:19 am

Read on Twitter
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#1176 » by jbeachboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:59 am

this day will live in infamy as a nets fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1177 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1178 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1179 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:23 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

He needs to be careful. I’m sure the Seahawks will be itching to void his contract if he got injured while playing ball in the offseason.
Crafty919
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#1180 » by Crafty919 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:13 am

Return to Brooklyn Nets