ImageImageImageImageImage

Should Billy King be fired?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Re: Should Billy King be fired? 

Post#21 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm done addressing any posts in this thread at all anymore. I've said what I need to. You guys want to be stubborn and ignore common sense and reality to make yourselves feel better as to what a train wreck Billy has turned this team into instead of the obvious scenarios that could have been, go ahead, more power to you it's your right.

I'm not turning my back on this team or you guys as my fellow fans just because I don't accept this bull **** and I also don't take it serious enough for it to bother me all the time, but it does get me a little worked up when this actual specific topic is brought up.

I'm not making huge wide sweeping reaches. I'm making the super obvious this is what would have likely happened.

And if Deron walked but we got Harden? The show goes, the team is built different and you know what? We're probably a ton better right now. And maybe this clown Billy gets fired...

And I understand the depth or lack of, of that above statement. That things needed to be splashy for Brooklyn. But the Beard is splashy and would have beasted just like he is now. We probably snag Lin as well, who I don't love, but is a marketing dream in NYC and is playing well again recently.

Or maybe NY matches him and we get Dragic?

It doesn't matter, winning cures all and Harden is a legit top 10 player. Super legit top 10 player. I'd trade this entire roster and my left pinky for Harden if we could have kept Lopez and the rest of the cap, including that top pick we would have had, PLUS Deron.

Whatever, Billy capped this team aside from a ripoff trade AND Deron playing up to snuff AND Lopez continuing to improve INCLUDING a new coach getting through to him and turning his vag into a set of nuts.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NjNeTs1029
Starter
And1: 98

Post#22 » by NjNeTs1029 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:05 pm

I think ppl are forgetting how terrible this team has been for the past 5 years. 34-48, 34-48, 12-70, 24-58, 22-44..

At least now the Nets are competitive and have people talking about them. There have definitely been mistakes made but hell we're just a few years past 12-70. I don't think anyone can truly say the Deron trade was a mistake, at the time he was one of the best PGs in the league. I feel like the Wallace trade was the big mistake made by the franchise. I think that was a panic move after missing out on Dwight. They felt like they had to do something to keep Deron and I guess Wallace was on the list of players that he wanted to play with. The biggest mistake made with that trade was making the draft pick top 3 protected and the fact that they could have just gone after Wallace in the offseason. That trade will always bother me, we could have had Wallace as a FA and Barnes coming off the bench. I don't buy that whole Wallace knew nothing about NY and wouldn't sign here talk, throw a bigger offer than other teams at a player and see how fast they learn about NY. The Joe Johnson trade is questionable because of his contract but a backcourt of Deron and Johnson looks pretty damn good, at least on paper and when both of them are playing up to their potential. It would have been nice to keep Morrow as we can really use a deep threat off the bench but we didn't really give up much talent in that trade. I don't think any of us really expected the Nets to come out and be title contenders in year 1 in Brooklyn. This is about where I think most reasonable fans expected them to be at this point. They will realistically probably finish top 5 in the East and be a 2nd round playoff exit. With this roster, King and Prokhy have built a treadmill team which I guess for right now isn't the worst thing. We have a team that will make the playoffs and build a fan base in Brooklyn. A few more moves and we can become a contender. The PF spot is clearly a weakness, maybe we can move a package involving Hump/Marshon for a starting 4. This team with a brand new roster has barely played 30 games together, don't be so quick to give up on them.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:10 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:Not a Nets fan but I will chime in because your GM is awful.

People saying that Deron was not going to resign unless King made that awful Wallace trade are delusional.

Deron resigned with you for a couple of reasons in no particular order
1) Max money
2) Cuban not being at the meeting with Dallas
3) Joe Johnson trade
4) Allure of being the man in Brooklyn

The Gerald Wallace trade DID NOT have to happen at all for Dwill to resign.

Lets play devil's advocates then and say that Deron demanded help. King told him a trade was possible for Wallace for their pick. Deron wanted it to go through.

At that point King should HAVE DONE HIS JOB and told Dwill "this season is lost but I promise you that next year we will spare no expense to get a better team. You got mine and Proks word on that. Keeping this draft pick now will provide us with great flexibility of either drafting a stud in a deep draft or trading for a veteran. Picks as you know get more and more valuable as the draft draws near so bear with me."

Lets say you guys pick no worse than 10th in last years draft. Here are the top 10 draft picks

Only Rivers and Robinson are real busts. Even Beal who is struggling is showing signs. You had an 80% chance of drafting a stud.

1 Anthony Davis
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Bradley Beal
4 Dion Waiters
5 Thomas Robinson
6 Damian Lillard
7 Harrison Barnes
8 Terrence Ross
9 Andre Drummond
10 Austin Rivers

The worst part is that King said he only liked 3 guys in the draft (wtf). That shows utter incompetence in his scouting team which he manages. So the buck stops at King.

If I hire a scout and he tells me this draft is only 3 deep that will be better than Wallace and then you show me this list of players then you are getting fired. You should fire King at all costs that guy is a dummy.

Although you know I'm not fond of your posting because you're so Nets hater, this mainly nailed it.

And your rookie rankings aside on telling him we could have had a stud, no way we keep the pick, but again you hit the nail on the head, because whoever was drafted outside Davis would have been dealt on draft night for a stud veteran.

Again recent history shows us likely Harden.

And let's say we landed Davis and Orlando wouldn't have dealt with us anyway, which is ludicrous on so many levels to all logic and I don't mean by Orlando or even common sense logic, but at that point the NBA would look so WWE rigged if Dwight was still sent to LAL for that poo poo platter of flaming **** instead of Anthony Davis the #1 overall pick and salary relief plus MarShon Brooks and probably future picks that they would lose all credibility.

But even say that happened. That #1 overall pick, Anthony Davis this once a decade stud prospect specifically, he opens doors in trades.

LMA.

Love.

Bosh.

These names probably suddenly become available.

Billy, Billy, Billy... :nonono:

I'm done this time for real.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
rj2496
Starter
And1: 111

Post#24 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:13 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:Not a Nets fan but I will chime in because your GM is awful.

People saying that Deron was not going to resign unless King made that awful Wallace trade are delusional.

1) Max money
3) Joe Johnson trade

Lets play devil's advocates then and say that Deron demanded help. King told him a trade was possible for Wallace for their pick. Deron wanted it to go through.

At that point King should HAVE DONE HIS JOB and told Dwill "this season is lost but I promise you that next year we will spare no expense to get a better team. You got mine and Proks word on that. Keeping this draft pick now will provide us with great flexibility of either drafting a stud in a deep draft or trading for a veteran. Picks as you know get more and more valuable as the draft draws near so bear with me."

Lets say you guys pick no worse than 10th in last years draft. Here are the top 10 draft picks

Only Rivers and Robinson are real busts. Even Beal who is struggling is showing signs. You had an 80% chance of drafting a stud.

1 Anthony Davis
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Bradley Beal
4 Dion Waiters
5 Thomas Robinson
6 Damian Lillard
7 Harrison Barnes
8 Terrence Ross
9 Andre Drummond
10 Austin Rivers

The worst part is that King said he only liked 3 guys in the draft (wtf). That shows utter incompetence in his scouting team which he manages. So the buck stops at King.

If I hire a scout and he tells me this draft is only 3 deep that will be better than Wallace and then you show me this list of players then you are getting fired. You should fire King at all costs that guy is a dummy.

I wouldn't say King has been awful, but you're a Knicks fan, so we shouldn't have expected you to say different. You mention the JJ trade in your 4 reasons why Deron stayed. Billy made that happen, so he should get some credit for that even though it hasn't been a promising move and his contract is horrible. What nobody else mentioned was Deron and Billys relationship, which seems to be pretty strong and a reason why Deron decided to stay as well.

Reading is fundamental for you. How many times have we said that we were in a WIN NOW mode. None of those 10 players you listed gives us the chance to do that.

You also mentioned that keeping our draft pick may result in a trade for a veteran. Uh, isn't that what we used it on??
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#25 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:15 pm

You guys are completely delusional for just assuming we wind up with Harden and Davis.

You can't just assume we would lose more games without Wallace. Or that OKC would want to trade us Harden on draft day. These are complete reaches.

Deron Williams was NOT going to resign here without the Joe Johnson trade. He has pretty much said this was true, and I don't believe for a second that he would be ok signing with this team featuring Lopez and Brooks.

At the end of the day it was all DWIGHT FAULT, not Billy King's fault that we don't have a contending team. He put everything into place to make that happen.

All Dwight had to do was wait till the off season and come sign here. No one was stopping him. He could have signed here and played with Deron, Wallace, AND maybe even Lopez. But he did not and now hes fumbling in LA.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#26 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:46 pm

rj2496 wrote:

1) Max money
3) Joe Johnson trade

1 Anthony Davis
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Bradley Beal
4 Dion Waiters
5 Thomas Robinson
6 Damian Lillard
7 Harrison Barnes
8 Terrence Ross
9 Andre Drummond
10 Austin Rivers

I wouldn't say King has been awful, but you're a Knicks fan, so we shouldn't have expected you to say different. You mention the JJ trade in your 4 reasons why Deron stayed. Billy made that happen, so he should get some credit for that even though it hasn't been a promising move and his contract is horrible. What nobody else mentioned was Deron and Billys relationship, which seems to be pretty strong and a reason why Deron decided to stay as well.

Reading is fundamental for you. How many times have we said that we were in a WIN NOW mode. None of those 10 players you listed gives us the chance to do that.

You also mentioned that keeping our draft pick may result in a trade for a veteran. Uh, isn't that what we used it on??

I am a Knicks fan and it is in my DNA to hate you, the Bulls, Heat and Cs. But I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.

Thibs - one of the best coaches in the league. Rivers - one of the best coaches in the league also as he relates to players well.

Riley - I hate him but one of the best GMs of all time. He got the 3 douches together after all.

Your GM sucks not because he is the Nets GM. He sucks because he sucks. He has a record of sucking. Just ask Philly fans.

Yes King gets credit for pulling off the JJ deal which helped to keep Deron but that doesn't excuse him for trading a pick 10 times more valuable than a guy who is a solid role player at best. Someone who was a free agent and could have been signed WITHOUT trading away a valuable asset like a top lottery pick.

If you can't see that you are either blind or just want to argue for arguments sake. So to say "oh we traded a pick for a veteran just like you said" is words cannot even describe. I mean hell with your logic had the Nets traded the pick for Marcus Camby it would still be ok right because Camby is a veteran?

Having said that I am not saying that if you keep the pick you would have been able to package it for Harden or Dwight but you had a hell of a lot more options than getting Gerald freaking Wallace. A hustle guy on the decline.

Here are players who are better than Wallace in their rookie years.
Anthony Davis
Lillard
MKG
Drummond

You get a top 6 pick and you have a 4 out of 6 chance to not only get a better player but at a MUCH LOWER salary allowing you to STILL get Wallace in free agency.

No other team was going to overpay like the Nets did. King completely and utterly destroyed your future with that one trade. That was the most irresponsible thing I have seen in quite some time and I have lived through Layden/Isiah years.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#27 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:52 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

1) Max money
3) Joe Johnson trade

1 Anthony Davis
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Bradley Beal
4 Dion Waiters
5 Thomas Robinson
6 Damian Lillard
7 Harrison Barnes
8 Terrence Ross
9 Andre Drummond
10 Austin Rivers

Although you know I'm not fond of your posting because you're so Nets hater, this mainly nailed it.

And your rookie rankings aside on telling him we could have had a stud, no way we keep the pick, but again you hit the nail on the head, because whoever was drafted outside Davis would have been dealt on draft night for a stud veteran.

Again recent history shows us likely Harden.

And let's say we landed Davis and Orlando wouldn't have dealt with us anyway, which is ludicrous on so many levels to all logic and I don't mean by Orlando or even common sense logic, but at that point the NBA would look so WWE rigged if Dwight was still sent to LAL for that poo poo platter of flaming **** instead of Anthony Davis the #1 overall pick and salary relief plus MarShon Brooks and probably future picks that they would lose all credibility.

But even say that happened. That #1 overall pick, Anthony Davis this once a decade stud prospect specifically, he opens doors in trades.

LMA.

Love.

Bosh.

These names probably suddenly become available.

Billy, Billy, Billy... :nonono:

I'm done this time for real.

Hate you right back. :D :lol:

But that is another thing your Net brethen don't understand. Instead of getting Wallace and trying to make the playoffs which was a stretch at best. You should have tanked. Made Deron look at the big picture instead of making the playoffs to be a 1 and done team.

If you tank lets say you get a top 3 pick. You get your pick of Davis, MKG and Beal all better than Wallace. And if you tank and magically get the number 1 pick all bets are off. If you think that you wouldn't have been able to trade that #1 pick for Harden or Dwight then people on this board are delusional. As a matter of fact I doubt you even trade that pick.
rj2496
Starter

Post#28 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:59 pm

I think we know tanking doesn't get you an automatic top 3 pick, so stop bringing that up. Didn't we try that when we were DEFINITELY going to get John Wall omgomomg! How did that work out?

And, call me delusional or whatever but AD, Beal, or MKG don't help us win now. Wallace does and hes arguably our most important player.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#29 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:04 pm

rj2496 wrote:I think we know tanking doesn't get you an automatic top 3 pick, so stop bringing that up. Didn't we try that when we were DEFINITELY going to get John Wall omgomomg! How did that work out?

And, call me delusional or whatever but AD, Beal, or MKG don't help us win now. Wallace does and hes arguably our most important player.

You don't think AD helps you more than Wallace? Wow. :o
NjNeTs1029
Starter

Post#30 » by NjNeTs1029 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:13 pm

I dont think theres any way to defend the Wallace trade. It was a panic move after we missed out on Dwight. Wallace could have just been signed in the offseason and we would have had a top 10 pick. I like Wallace but I dont't think there's any other team out there that would trade a top 10 pick for him right before he became a free agent. The trade made no sense.
rj2496
Starter

Post#31 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:13 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
rj2496 wrote:I think we know tanking doesn't get you an automatic top 3 pick, so stop bringing that up. Didn't we try that when we were DEFINITELY going to get John Wall omgomomg! How did that work out?

Right now? Probably not. Whats the Hornets record? And who is to say we get the first pick? You totally ignored what I said when I mentioned that we tried the tank wagon before.
NjNeTs1029
Starter

Post#32 » by NjNeTs1029 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:16 pm

rj2496 wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

Whats the Hornets record?

look at the rest of their roster, the team sucks outside of Davis and Gordon who just came back from injury. Davis would definitely be better than Wallace. A backcourt of Deron and JJ and a frontcourt of Lopez and Davis would be amazing.
rj2496
Starter

Post#33 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:21 pm

NjNeTs1029 wrote: look at the rest of their roster, the team sucks outside of Davis and Gordon who just came back from injury. Davis would definitely be better than Wallace. A backcourt of Deron and JJ and a frontcourt of Lopez and Davis would be amazing.

You never mentioned that they also have Ryan Anderson and Greivis Vazquez, and Robin Lopez who has been pretty good this year.

Should Billy have made the trade for Wallace? Hmm...probably not, but under the circumstances he was under, I could see why it was done. Do I agree with it? No I don't. Do I understand why it was done? Yes. Am I looking for hypotheticals that we could have had Harden, Davis, etc? No, because we don't and we never know if it would have happened.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#34 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:30 pm

rj2496 wrote:
NjNeTs1029 wrote: look at the rest of their roster, the team sucks outside of Davis and Gordon who just came back from injury. Davis would definitely be better than Wallace. A backcourt of Deron and JJ and a frontcourt of Lopez and Davis would be amazing.

You never mentioned that they also have Ryan Anderson and Greivis Vazquez, and Robin Lopez who has been pretty good this year.

Should Billy have made the trade for Wallace? Hmm...probably not, but under the circumstances he was under, I could see why it was done. Do I agree with it? No I don't. Do I understand why it was done? Yes. Am I looking for hypotheticals that we could have had Harden, Davis, etc? No, because we don't and we never know if it would have happened.

You are overvaluing Wallace to great lengths. The guy is an energy guy ROLE PLAYER. Having Wallace on your team doesn't take you over the top. You are acting as if my Knicks would acquire Wallace we would be super elite. Hello no we wouldn't. He can't shoot consistently. He is getting up there in age.

Anthony Davis. MKG. Lillard. Drummond. Now those guys can take a team over the top. The talent those guys have is amazing. Maybe not MKG so much but he is basically what Wallace was at his peak and he is a rookie.

See the problem with King's decision making is that its irrational and done to apeace one guy Deron.

Again you are missing the point. Even if you don't land AD or Harden, you could have had your pick AND Wallace as no one was going to overpay for him like you guys did. You could have had BOTH had it not been for that moron of a GM you guys have.
rj2496
Starter

Post#35 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:40 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
You are overvaluing Wallace to great lengths. The guy is an energy guy ROLE PLAYER. Having Wallace on your team doesn't take you over the top. You are acting as if my Knicks would acquire Wallace we would be super elite. Hello no we wouldn't. He can't shoot consistently. He is getting up there in age.

I think you're undervaluing Wallaces impact to our team, and I'm pretty sure every Nets fan in here will agree with that. He is the heart, sole and the motor of our team. Probably the only guy who gives it 100% every time down the floor and will do anything to win. Theres no debate about that. I never said he is a superstar who will get you 30 pts a night and will shoot 40% from the 3pt line. Wallace is a vital part of our team and our games without him clearly prove that.

21shumpshumpst wrote:
Again you are missing the point. Even if you don't land AD or Harden, you could have had your pick AND Wallace as no one was going to overpay for him like you guys did. You could have had BOTH had it not been for that moron of a GM you guys have.

And we most likely don't have Deron Williams either.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#36 » by jerseyjac » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:42 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
rj2496 wrote:

Anthony Davis. MKG. Lillard. Drummond. Now those guys can take a team over the top. The talent those guys have is amazing. Maybe not MKG so much but he is basically what Wallace was at his peak and he is a rookie.

See the problem with King's decision making is that its irrational and done to apeace one guy Deron.

Are you done? I hope so...
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Post#37 » by N Ireland Nets » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:You guys are completely delusional for just assuming we wind up with Harden and Davis.

You can't just assume we would lose more games without Wallace. Or that OKC would want to trade us Harden on draft day. These are complete reaches.

Deron Williams was NOT going to resign here without the Joe Johnson trade. He has pretty much said this was true, and I don't believe for a second that he would be ok signing with this team featuring Lopez and Brooks.

At the end of the day it was all DWIGHT FAULT, not Billy King's fault that we don't have a contending team. He put everything into place to make that happen.

All Dwight had to do was wait till the off season and come sign here. No one was stopping him. He could have signed here and played with Deron, Wallace, AND maybe even Lopez. But he did not and now hes fumbling in LA.

This is the last time I reply in this thread but I'm going to list the facts that I know.

1st, Deron Williams was always re-signing with Brooklyn. Even Dallas understood that Williams was only paying lip service for his hometown team to the point Cuban didn't bother to go to the meeting. Plus he got the most money from us.

Wallace 110% won us games after the trade deadline, anyone who watched the Nets last season could tell you that when we should've been in full tank mode.

OKC were shopping for a high lotto pick to trade Harden. They obviously were looking for a SG to take over Hardens role in the team and liked Beal. If we had the 3rd overall pick, which is fair in my opinion to say was realistic, while every team knew we were looking to make deals with our high lotto pick, you somehow think OKC wouldn't bother to offer the trade they did to us?!?

Someone else said about AK47 wanting more money. Again I know as a fact that AK debated about taking the vet min with us over Wolves deal but the difference between $20m & $2m was 2 huge to turn down. He is however thinking strongly about opting out of his 2nd year with Brooklyn in mind. Kirilenko is very interested in moving into basket operations side of a franchise and is a personal friend of Proky's. So no it wasn't a stretch for AK to sign with us. This was the guy who gave his entire salary, millions of dollars to charity while playing in Europe. Add in the whole Russian connection and potential of AK being the face of Brooklyn all over Russia.

Billy King was ordered by the Russians and Proky to fire Avery. It was a decision from the top and had zero input from King.

King is on the hot seat. His contract runs out this summer and he is obviously under pressure. We lack major assets to make moves so my fear is King makes major moves to get an extension and show he is worth keeping.

This is a huge moment in our history. If someone like Jackson is to take over wouldn't he have a certain type of player he would need to run the triangle, like bigs who can pass. If king trades Hump & Brooks plus picks for someone like IIyasova for instance, it leaves us in a crap situation for the next coach.

Believe whatever you guys want.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#38 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:53 pm

jerseyjac wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

Wow are you seriously insinuating I am trolling here? What post of mine is even resembling trolling? Even VC who hates me vehemently realizes I am not. Just say the word though and I'll leave.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Post#39 » by N Ireland Nets » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:58 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
jerseyjac wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

Wow are you seriously insinuating I am trolling here? What post of mine is even resembling trolling? Even VC who hates me vehemently realizes I am not. Just say the word though and I'll leave.

Please stay
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#40 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't see what 21shump is doing wrong.

I think he's pretty accurate in what he's said so far. He's def not trolling.

Heck, there are Nets fans who troll us worse than anything 21shump is doing right now... :lol:

Return to Brooklyn Nets